Author Topic: New Jordan Rudess interview  (Read 7824 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: New Jordan Rudess interview
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »
Here's an interview I did with Jordan, for the Lotsofmuzik website:

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/dream-theaters-jordan-rudess-in-our-new-album-well-go-back-to-the-roots-and-the-core-sound-of-the-band

By the looks of it, we're getting a KILLER new album!!!

Please like our page on Facebook and share this interview, guys. We appreciate your support. And those that share it and like our page can PM me, and I can send you the audio of the interview if you're interested.

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing. I like how you weaved the questions so that it reads very organically. One of my pet peeves (as a former reporter) is that too many people do Q&As and it really just dead-pan and jumps. You wrote it so that it flowed very well. Great work.

Thanks, I'm usually VERY mindful of that as well - I like it when it flows like an actual conversation. Some of the guys I speak with are tough interviewees and it makes that hard to achieve, but Jordan... :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »
From memory, JP did come out and say he was a big Disney fan in the promotional interviews for the album. He’s never hid that influence he was very open about it.

Also adding my thanks to Rodrigo for a really good interview and for transcribing it for us. I’m another old fashioned guy who prefers to read stuff than watch videos!

Thanks, man. And imagine my pain to try and search for his luthier's name and the fear of selling it wrong...that alone took A LOT of time!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2018, 11:45:18 AM »
Rodrigo, that was outstanding! Thanks a lot.

As a sidenote, Disney music is terrific.

Thanks! More to come!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2018, 12:38:16 PM »
From memory, JP did come out and say he was a big Disney fan in the promotional interviews for the album. He’s never hid that influence he was very open about it.

Correct: "I purposely didn’t want to really think too much about other concept albums or rock operas, and come from more of a storytelling perspective, take my love for everything — whether it be Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, Les [Miserables], Jesus Christ Superstar, Disney movies — and come from the perspective of the elements that make those things so special, and such a big part of our lives."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »
The best interviews are those that flow like a conversation.  I hate reading interviews that are clearly just a list of unrelated questions and you can tell the interviewer is just running through the questions with no idea how to follow up or make a transition.  You had limited time, so it couldn't be completely conversational with follow-up questions all the way through on every little point.  But it still reads as conversational because:  (1) you clearly did your research on the front end and knew what you wanted to discuss, (2) even when completely changing topics, you had appropriate transitions that showed you listened to what he said and flowed into the next topic, and (3) in a couple of spots, where appropriate, you did ask follow-up questions on the same topics to elicit more info.  Just a really nice job.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2018, 12:52:26 PM »
Just a really nice job.

Rod it’s getting better with each interview. I am glad he is part of LOM.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »
The best interviews are those that flow like a conversation.  I hate reading interviews that are clearly just a list of unrelated questions and you can tell the interviewer is just running through the questions with no idea how to follow up or make a transition.  You had limited time, so it couldn't be completely conversational with follow-up questions all the way through on every little point.  But it still reads as conversational because:  (1) you clearly did your research on the front end and knew what you wanted to discuss, (2) even when completely changing topics, you had appropriate transitions that showed you listened to what he said and flowed into the next topic, and (3) in a couple of spots, where appropriate, you did ask follow-up questions on the same topics to elicit more info.  Just a really nice job.

This assessment is 100% accurate. I didn't notice it when reading the interview but everything flowed perfectly well and it did seem like just a normal conversation between 2 guys. Once again, great work
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »

This assessment is 100% accurate. I didn't notice it when reading the interview but everything flowed perfectly well and it did seem like just a normal conversation between 2 guys. Once again, great work

I think you said something really important--namely, that you DIDN'T notice it.  I think that's key.  If an interview flows well, unless you are specifically looking for reasons why, you SHOULDN'T notice it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2018, 01:21:50 PM »
Great interview! And count me in with the guys that prefer a text interview over just listening to the audio or watching the video. Thanks for taking the time (pun intended, of course) to transcribe it and share it here with us :hefdaddy

And, seriously, I NEEED more updates for the upcoming album, it sounds like it'll definitely be on my top 5 DT list :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2018, 02:09:08 PM »
And, seriously, I NEEED more updates for the upcoming album, it sounds like it'll definitely be on my top 5 DT list :metal

Even if I end up not enjoying the musical content, which I'm sure I will enjoy, the fact that this album is involving the whole band, both musically and lyrically, and the fact that they are really interacting with the fans this time already makes me absolutely happy and makes me love an album that I've not listened to yet.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:35:34 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2018, 06:06:55 PM »
Oh man...it took me MANY hours to do it.
Hi, Rodrigo! Thanks for the interview. I totally get what you are saying there; last year I interviewed a local band, and transcribing is such a fun, but demanding task.

I really liked your questions about the Hammond and guitar clips you saw of him on social media; it shows that you care and pay attention to your interviewees.

Well, sure.  But it's a short answer to a short question.  As Sebastian said, it's not like they had a 30 minute, back-and-forth conversation.  And it's not like Jordan gets to spend hours on end speaking with fans about their thoughts.

I'm sorry, what did I say? I must be getting old and forgetting things. :P
(By the way, bosk - I've sent you my document on the hunt, but I've ended up adding a couple things at the last minute; so, it will look a little bit different in the end.)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2018, 02:05:25 AM »
Great interview, thank you.

It's good to hear Mangini getting so involved in the process, and the band taking the sound criticism seriously.
Can't wait to hear something from the new album.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2018, 02:16:17 AM »
Great interview, thank you.

It's good to hear Mangini getting so involved in the process, and the band taking the sound criticism seriously.
Can't wait to hear something from the new album.

We did hear something from the new album : the snippets. Joking aside, I get what you mean : I can't wait to hear something more song-like as well.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2018, 02:30:04 AM »
The band has always paid a lot of attention to fan feedback. But striking a balance between listening to the feedback and what you need to react to can be pretty hard - you don't want the creative process to be dictated by outside forces too much either.

You can trace fan reaction and band counter-reaction as a red thread through the albums since FII ;)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2018, 05:09:19 AM »
The band has always paid a lot of attention to fan feedback. But striking a balance between listening to the feedback and what you need to react to can be pretty hard - you don't want the creative process to be dictated by outside forces too much either.

You can trace fan reaction and band counter-reaction as a red thread through the albums since FII ;)

Yeah that's right. To be honest for me it's a reason i like TA, even though i can see why it's such a controversial album.
I didn't expect such a bold move from the band so late in their career.

Of course, the reaction to the album seems to have moved the new album to a certain direction (heavier). For sure it is tough to even make every member of the band happy, let alone having to cope with the expectations of a demanding fan base.

Personally, i prefer to have controversial albums like TA, if that means no compromise on the band's artistic integrity, even if i might not like the album itself. Feels more honest, more like an artistic expression and less like a product.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »
Well, sure.  But it's a short answer to a short question.  As Sebastian said, it's not like they had a 30 minute, back-and-forth conversation.  And it's not like Jordan gets to spend hours on end speaking with fans about their thoughts.

I'm sorry, what did I say? I must be getting old and forgetting things. :P
(By the way, bosk - I've sent you my document on the hunt, but I've ended up adding a couple things at the last minute; so, it will look a little bit different in the end.)

I have NO idea why I said Sebastian.  I mean Rodrigo!  Sorry for the confusion.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »

That's a good point noxon, and, like you said, it's about a balance between being open to fan reaction and still being true as artists.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2018, 08:54:43 AM »
"....and everybody will be there moshing!" :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2018, 08:56:10 AM »

:lol  I was hoping you would see that post.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2018, 10:27:57 AM »
Thanks once again for the feedback, everyone!

I have another interview to be published next week, with Anneke van Giersbergen, which was just as good! She's promoting a new live album with an orchestra, which sounds amazing. Stay tuned!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2018, 10:48:23 AM »
Rodrigo, so sorry I referred to you as Sebastian above.  Not sure why I confused the two of you.  The compliments were obviously meant for you and how well you did on the interview.

Not to say that Sebastian isn't a fine fellow as well though.  :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »
Rodrigo, so sorry I referred to you as Sebastian above.  Not sure why I confused the two of you.  The compliments were obviously meant for you and how well you did on the interview.

No worries at all, man!  :rollin

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2018, 11:41:23 AM »

:lol  I was hoping you would see that post.

So Excited!!! to add to the build up, all of a sudden my 20y/o son came over to the DT side.  Everyday a new DT song comes pouring out of the guitars and constantly playing DT when I ride in the car with him.  Yesterday he says "oh, we have a long ride, we can make it through Ocatavarium together!" Only took me nearly 3 years of continual sharing for the light to come on! My tour and mosh buddy!  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »
My two boys are now teens, and they are starting to explore their own musical directions, which aren't the same as my preferences.  But while they don't generally seek prog or metal on their own, they can enjoy it when I am listening.  I hope the tour scheduling works out such that I can bring one or both to a show this tour. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »

I have another interview to be published next week, with Anneke van Giersbergen, which was just as good! She's promoting a new live album with an orchestra, which sounds amazing. Stay tuned!

Ooooh I love her! be sure to advertise it when you post 'cause I definitively want to read it!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2018, 01:39:51 PM »

Ooooh I love her! be sure to advertise it when you post 'cause I definitively want to read it!

I will!!!

In the meantime...

Like...your...page...like...our...page...like...our...page...

https://www.facebook.com/lotsofmuzik/

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
My two boys are now teens, and they are starting to explore their own musical directions, which aren't the same as my preferences.  But while they don't generally seek prog or metal on their own, they can enjoy it when I am listening.  I hope the tour scheduling works out such that I can bring one or both to a show this tour.

The same. I have one that is all into Rap. I have tried, really I have, but don't get it.  See you on the tour!!

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2018, 02:55:55 PM »

Cool! I was into a The Gathering phase a few years ago - I really like her. judging by your talk with Jordan, I'm sure it will be a cool read!

No problem! :)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2018, 05:13:42 PM »

I will!!!

In the meantime...

Like...your...page...like...our...page...like...our...page...

Please like our page

Offline Anguyen92

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2018, 08:59:30 PM »
The click bait is so strong.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2018, 01:14:13 AM »

Indeed, and it upsets me quite a lot. We started to change the title of our articles a while ago, from simply "our interview with such and such" to including a quote from the artist, but always a respectful one, never on the negative side. And then Blabbermouth does this. I appreciate the publicity, but feel used at the same time.

A few months ago I interviewed Terry Bozzio for a different site and he bashed many of his former musical partners during our talk, and even then I made the point of having a positive quote as the title. I want the views, but not at the expense of the artist.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2018, 03:38:19 AM »

Indeed, and it upsets me quite a lot. We started to change the title of our articles a while ago, from simply "our interview with such and such" to including a quote from the artist, but always a respectful one, never on the negative side. And then Blabbermouth does this. I appreciate the publicity, but feel used at the same time.

A few months ago I interviewed Terry Bozzio for a different site and he bashed many of his former musical partners during our talk, and even then I made the point of having a positive quote as the title. I want the views, but not at the expense of the artist.

Exactly like Blabbermouth.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2018, 09:27:34 AM »
Great interview!! As many pointed out, I like how there was a natural flow to the interview.

Thank you for sharing.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk