Author Topic: Are there any good MP3 players left? (Recommendations)  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Are there any good MP3 players left? (Recommendations)
« on: October 23, 2018, 06:27:36 PM »
Hey all,
I'm a little behind modern society right now in that I haven't fully jumped ship from mp3s and digital downloads and accepted streaming as my lord and savior. For various reasons that aren't that important and mostly boil down to personal preference, iPods / mp3 players are my preferred way of listening to music. I don't care what Steven Wilson says. Problem is, iPods are discontinued now, and I've maxed out the 16 GB of my most recent one. I've moved all my music files over to my iPhone for the time being, but that's had its fair share of annoyances for me, and I've been wondering if there's some lesser known mp3 players still out there that I'd like better.

My only real requirements would be:
-More space than 16 GB
-Basic functionality like playlists and shuffling
-Accepts most basic file types (I don't care about uncompressed stuff like flacs)
-Portable enough to comfortably fit into an average-sized pocket

Do you folks know of any? Can't say I'm super optimistic, but figured I'd ask just in case others are in the same boat as me!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Are there any good MP3 players left? (Recommendations)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 06:59:22 PM »
If you're interested, I have an 80 GB iPod classic, black, that I bought back in 2007. Still works, haven't used it at all since 2012 or 2013 when I became a Spotify subscriber and could also put my music on my phone. I've been wanting to part with it for a long time actually.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 09:09:45 PM »
I've been looking at FiiO products as a replacement for my current iPod Classic when it dies. Their stuff isn't cheap though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 09:13:38 PM »
I wanted one for my new car, and had never previously owned an mp3 player. So had no idea what I was doing. Messed around a bit and couldn't find anything I was happy with. Ended up buying a cheap pay-as-you-go phone for the sole purpose of playing mp3s through my car stereo. Works great. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:40:17 PM »
I've been looking at FiiO products as a replacement for my current iPod Classic when it dies. Their stuff isn't cheap though.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 11:29:34 PM »
I'm using my Samsung Galaxy phone with a 128 GB memory card playing the music through Neutron music player. Works like a charm and can hold a lot of music.
So my advice would be to get a big memory card for your phone (if it accepts those) and a good music app.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 01:06:41 AM »
I'm in the same boat.

I had a Creative Muvo mp3 player, it lasted 1 month.
They shipped me a replacement, it lasted 2 weeks.
They shipped me a further replacement - I have it since 13 years, and it survived through many falls.

The day that mp3 player dies on me, I will be clueless as to how the technology has evolved in that sense. Some time ago I looked up mp3 players on Amazon just to realize which stuff is actually around. It's annoying how by now everyone assume that people listen to music on their smartphones.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 04:22:22 AM »
I had a Creative Zen Micro that was hit by a plow and spent a winter in a snowbank. Worked just fine when spring came along and I found it sitting in the yard. It was a little scraped up, but it functioned like new.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 05:32:40 AM »
I had 2 creative ZenVs back in the day that were amazingly good. When the last one stopped working I wanted to purchase a new one but Creative had stopped making them so I had to resign myself to using my cellphone to listen to music.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 05:51:08 AM »
You can pick up a refurbished iPhone, say a 5S with 64 GB on it, for around 50 bucks. No need to use it as a phone, don't connect it to any cellular service, just use it as a music player.
I have one of these I use in my house just for that, and also streaming services on WiFi.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 06:41:43 AM »
I have heard that Zune are very good mo3 player, you can get one off of Amazon
But, if you are an iPhone user follow the New World Rushman advice, get a refurbished iPhone and use it as an mp3 player only.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »
I have struggled so much with this, and could write pages. I have just plain accepted that my love of having my entire music collection accessible to me at all times, in all situations, is no longer going to happen. I had a 128 gb iPod classic that was expanded to 256 gigs. That fits everything. It died. I bought another. It died.

Everywhere I looked, either the other options were way overpriced, or didn't give me options I wanted in my vehicle (like having the cover art come up on the stereo). Everyone was streaming everything, and everyone seems to use their phone.

I just said fuck it and got the biggest iPod Touch I could find, and now use that. I am an Android user, but my music collection (while it IS encoded to mp3 at 256 VBR) is run through iTunes. So I debated getting the latest iPhone at the most memory available. But with all the extra stuff on the iPhone, I still figured I'd probably not be able to get everything on there (my music collection is just under 204 gbs), so I just decided not to, and have stuck with the iPod Touch I have, and I go in periodically and switch out albums.

I carry my laptop, so I have access to my entire collection at the office, but in going mobile, I'm stuck with the iPod Touch.

I know guys like myself who are big time audio geeks are not the crowd Apple is eyeing, but I still think they really missed the boat by not having a huge capacity iPod still in production. Something 256gb or more. Even if it was priced at $500, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »
I have struggled so much with this, and could write pages. I have just plain accepted that my love of having my entire music collection accessible to me at all times, in all situations, is no longer going to happen. I had a 128 gb iPod classic that was expanded to 256 gigs. That fits everything. It died. I bought another. It died.

Everywhere I looked, either the other options were way overpriced, or didn't give me options I wanted in my vehicle (like having the cover art come up on the stereo). Everyone was streaming everything, and everyone seems to use their phone.

I just said fuck it and got the biggest iPod Touch I could find, and now use that. I am an Android user, but my music collection (while it IS encoded to mp3 at 256 VBR) is run through iTunes. So I debated getting the latest iPhone at the most memory available. But with all the extra stuff on the iPhone, I still figured I'd probably not be able to get everything on there (my music collection is just under 204 gbs), so I just decided not to, and have stuck with the iPod Touch I have, and I go in periodically and switch out albums.

I carry my laptop, so I have access to my entire collection at the office, but in going mobile, I'm stuck with the iPod Touch.

I know guys like myself who are big time audio geeks are not the crowd Apple is eyeing, but I still think they really missed the boat by not having a huge capacity iPod still in production. Something 256gb or more. Even if it was priced at $500, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

You can pick up a 400GB micro SD card for $120 and put it in an older android phone that accepts a micro SD card.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 11:09:15 AM »
You kids and your swanky tech.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 03:11:40 PM »
I was in the same boat when I filled up my 160 GB iPod. I kept looking at the HD players but they were way overpriced and seemed to lack some really basic functions.

After growing tired of looking, I sent my old 80 GB iPod Video out to a guy who put a 256 GB SD Card in it and a brand new battery that was something like triple the original. I still have 50 GB or so of space on it, I believe. Not sure what I will do once that runs out.

I have no intention to ever join the streaming world.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 03:15:46 PM »
I'm not a streamer myself and I have no desire for a dedicated music device.  I 1000% support the idea of just buying an SD card for your phone (assuming you can).  I have 128GB microsd card in my samsung phone that holds all my music (well, not my entire home library but most of it and definitely anything I could normally ever want to listen to).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »
I still have an old 160gb iPod classic that I rock maybe once or twice a month. I mainly stick to streaming now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 02:43:00 PM »
Phones drain so fast that I don't want to put music on mine. 

I still have my 160gb I-Pod but when that dies..... :'(
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faizoff

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 02:03:13 PM »
Like others mentioned, I bought a 200 GB microsd card for $30 and put it in my Note8. The sound quality of the phone is quite good and the earphones it comes with is great. I put all the music and video related media on the SD card and let the 64gb handle all the apps.

I think I would be sort of interested in a dedicated mp3 player though not sure if I would spend a lot of money for it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline sueńo

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »
It's really only good for the car, but that's good enough for me.  I have a 64gb usb flash drive with all my most listened to music on it (among many other things).  I'm considering a 128gb... but right now, this works like a charm and it's easy to plug and play thru a laptop or whatever.  Obviously, it's not fit for headphone listening, exercising, biking, etc - but for groovin' in the car, it's great.  :tup  I'm not a streaming fan, either and I prefer to not have my phone tied up with playing music.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 08:32:30 PM »

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

I have a FiiO X 5 and I love it.  Sound quality is better than iPod with same files.  Small learning curve, but well worth the investment.  I’ve had it for almost 18 months, so this isn’t a quick take on the product.