1 (2.3%)
Van Halen - Fair Warning
4 (9.1%)
Whitesnake - Come and Get It
0 (0%)
Dokken - Breakin' the Chains
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Lame replies on some post in a facebook rock group! Pick your fave album!  (Read 3660 times)

Offline WildRanger

Somebody posted this image with hard rock and heavy metal albums of 1981 in the facebook group called "The Greatest Rock Albums of All Time":

I'm in that group and I saw there were many people who replied with 'None' on that post. Even some people went that far to call the albums on the pic shit. I got kinda pissed off. That FB post got over 600 replies(FB group is very big and it has 127 000 members) and many of them were negative.

How about you? Would you be pissed off if you were in that FB group and if you witnessed the replies of those people with limited taste who can't stand 80's heavy music?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:24:56 PM by WildRanger »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I dont know what limited taste means or why I should care about some facebook group, but sticking to the question....

I voted High N Dry, my favorite Def Leppard album.  However, Iron Maiden are my favorite band so I kind of wanted to go Killers, but decided to give it to DL instead.

Online Mladen

Of the ones I've heard, which is basically half of them, Point of entry is my favorite.

Online pg1067

How about you? Would you be pissed off if you were in that FB group and if you witnessed the replies of those people with limited taste who can't stand 80's heavy music?

It takes far more than a Facebook post or comments on a post to piss me off, and I haven't gotten "pissed off" about what music other people do and don't like or what they think of music I like since I was in high school.

As for the question posed, of the albums pictured, I would choose either Mob Rules or Diary of a Madman, but my actual pick from 1981 would be Moving Pictures.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

Mob Rules.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Out of this list, I'd say Fair Warning, even though it's one of my least favorite Van Halen albums
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
"If you listen to fools....."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I rate 1981 as the greatest year EVER for music.

I'd take both MSG and UFO over everything pictured there, but High n Dry and Diary are essential.
Also Thin Lizzy's Renegade.

If anyone is interested I made a playlist on Spotify for the years 1977 through 1985. I mean one playlist per year.
Here is my 1981:
https://open.spotify.com/user/tacdtf/playlist/15SGYTMiAuS2wb0OgmoNdu?si=cU37KlUvRR-Ffun_JGOz7A

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Haven't listened to any of these so "None" :metardica:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4

... wut
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline 425

Re: Lame replies on some post in a facebook rock group! Pick your fave album!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »
This is an... interesting... thread...

But I guess Killers?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 02:14:40 PM »

this, basically

I think I've heard 'Killers' once. I might even own it on CD back from my high school Iron Maiden phase, but I can't recall a thing from it. all the others I'm pretty sure I've never heard in full.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »
Sacul and Elite.  Please.   Pick even half of them and go listen.  That is essential listening.  It's like saying "I like to read" but never having read Shakespeare.  Or "I'm a foodie" but I've never had filet mignon.  If either of you have a roulette, my submissions may only come from that list.

Other than Dokken and Kix, who aren't in the same league as the rest, and Hanoi Rocks (eh), not only have I owned all of them since vinyl days, but easily half of them are my favorite album by that artist:

Diary
Killers
High 'n' Dry
Point of Entry
For Those About To Rock
Fair Warning

Mob Rules, Come and Get It and Too Fast are up there (but I prefer SBS, Slide It In and Dr. Feelgood, unfortunately)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 03:35:02 PM »
That's a pretty good (not great) list of albums.  But it's not like anyone's life is incomplete just because they haven't heard your or my short-list of "albums of the year" for a given year.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »
I've only heard a few of those albums, and my life seems fine.

Wait....is this why I'm bald??!?!

OH GOD!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 03:47:28 PM »
As for the list itself, the ones I would consider worthwhile now would be Diary, High N Dry, and Breakin' the Chains.  Really solid albums.  I have Killers, but never listen to it.  They play Wrathchild every show anyway, and the rest isn't worth listening to.  I've liked what I have heard from Mob Rules, but not enough to buy it.  Had Too Fast for Love, whichever Van Halen album that is (it's been so long that I forget), and possibly that Whitesnake album as a youngster, but wouldn't buy them again.  No interest in the others.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online pg1067

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 04:10:23 PM »
Let's start with the fact that the version of Dokken's Breaking the Chains that is shown is the 1983 U.S. release and not the 1981 European release.  I'm not familiar with how the Euro release differs (other than by reading Wikipedia), but it's nothing great either way.

Kix and Hanoi Rocks were bands that "real" metalheads made fun of back in the day, but I honestly can't say I've ever heard any song by either band.

Too Fast for Love was Motley Crue at its most raw and, arguably, heaviest.  If you have any interest in the band or in 80s metal in general, you ought to give it a listen, but it mostly didn't age well.

Point of Entry was a bit of a hiccup after the success of British Steel and before it all came together on Screaming for Vengeance.  It has a few good songs, but is hardly "essential."

I'm not familiar with Whitesnake's Come an' Get It, but I do know that lots of folks swear by the pre-self-titled period of Whitesnake.

The other six are generally regarded as "classics" of the era, and lots of folks think Diary of a Madman and Killers are the best Iron Maiden and Ozzy Osbourne albums (I agree on the former but not on the latter).  IMO, all have aged quite well.

They play Wrathchild every show anyway, and the rest isn't worth listening to.

I must be going to the wrong shows because I've only seen Wrathchild twice in seven Maiden shows over the years.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 04:26:07 PM »
You know, after you mentioned it, I went and took a look at the track list on that Dokken album, which reminded me of why I wasn't really a fan until later.  :lol  I recognize a total of two songs from that album.  So, yeah, let me retract as to that one.  It might be pretty good, for all I know, but I guess that is one that I either never went back and got or did and just cannot even recall the songs. 

I mean, it's kind of a moot point anyway, because I would have still easily chosen High N Dry as my #1, far and away, and Diary as my #2. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 04:48:07 PM »
Seriously....that debut Kix album is a template for EVERY "pop metal" album that would come after. And it's kindof a shame that not only one of the very first, but also one of the very best examples of the genre is an album that hardly anyone has ever heard of. 

It's extremely difficult, if not impossible to find an album of that style and quality that dates before 1981.    Kix beat everyone to the punch, and constantly get swept under the rug for the "one hit wonder" from their 4th (and frankly, sub-par) hit album. 

If you're generally just not into the entire hair metal thing, then fine.  This album is not for you, and you can go ahead and ignore it.  But honestly.   If you really enjoy really great kick-ass, fun, pop, hair metal from the 80's....Kix's debut is pretty much the genesis of it.  And a damn good one too.    The ending track "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" should have been to "party pop metal" what Freebird was to southern rock.   But lack of promotion ruined that.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online pg1067

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 06:11:43 PM »
Having the same name as a bland as fuck breakfast cereal certainly didn't help....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 06:16:17 PM »
So I had that Kix album but only after...

I recorded them on King Biscuit one night. I loved that live recording.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 06:18:13 PM »
I will say the only album I actually LIKE on that list is Killers, and it's amazing. Everything else is... ehhh.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 06:27:46 PM »
I would go with Fair Warning closely followed by Killers. Fair Warning is the quintessential Van Halen for me and a must for anyone remotely interested in the guitar. Killers is a solid slab of NWOBHM.

As for the rest of the list. Diary of a Madman is almost as important for guitar as Fair Warning and should be listened to for that alone. Some great songs on there too (DT also ripped off the title track on Surrender to Reason). I am pretty meh on the other ones. Mob Rules has some great moments but is like a lesser rehash of Heaven and Hell. Same with For Those About to Rock in relation to Back In Black. I guess you could say Too Fast For Love is one of the better Motley Crue albums, but that's like saying the chicken nuggets are one of McDonald's better menu items. Point of Entry is easily in my bottom 5 Priest albums. Haven't heard the Dokken or Whitesnake and don't really feel strongly about anything on High and Dry. How did this list manage to include Hanoi Rocks and Kix but not Saxon or MSG? Even Riot would've been better.  :lol
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 06:36:59 PM »
With you on VH.  Dark, still with hooks, I love Fair Warning.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »
Fair Warning and Diary of a Madman are both great, and High n' Dry is quite good, but the rest of those albums don't belong anywhere near a "greatest album of all time" conversation.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 06:50:46 PM »
As far as rock music goes, 1981 is sandwiched between two far superior years imo. Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, AC/DC, and even arguably Ozzy all released better albums that year. Also bands that didn't release anything in 81 like Motorhead, Rush, and Scorpions. Not to mention lesser known gems like Angel Witch and Diamond Head.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 06:53:59 PM »
As far as rock music goes, 1981 is sandwiched between two far superior years imo. Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, AC/DC, and even arguably Ozzy all released better albums that year. Also bands that didn't release anything in 81 like Motorhead, Rush, and Scorpions. Not to mention lesser known gems like Angel Witch and Diamond Head.

Rush didn't release anything in 1981? Might want to fact check yourself there, Professor. ;)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 06:57:42 PM »
Oops, was thinking Moving Pictures was 1980 for some reason. Why isn't it in this poll??  :loser:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 06:58:19 PM »
Lol. February,  1981.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mosh

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 06:59:05 PM »
It would be my pick for 81 then.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2018, 07:22:29 PM »
if that was the reaction then I wouldn't be hanging around a FB group showing such discontent for those albums.
Mob Rules got my vote.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2018, 08:30:22 PM »
Mob Rules.  Hands down, the best in that group.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2018, 08:44:52 PM »
Mob Rules for me.

Fair Warning would be close behind though

Offline jammindude

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »
So I had that Kix album but only after...

I recorded them on King Biscuit one night. I loved that live recording.

Steve Whiteman today is sadly almost just playing a caracature of himself.  But back in the day, he was the 2nd most entertaining front man in metal behind DLR.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude