Author Topic: I'm interviewing Jordan Rudess!  (Read 3885 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

I'm interviewing Jordan Rudess!
« on: October 16, 2018, 03:09:21 PM »
I'll be interviewing Jordan Rudess this Friday. We'll talk primarily about his upcoming solo tour, but questions from the fans are welcome. Post your questions here, guys!

Offline Anguyen92

Re: I'm interviewing Jordan Rudess!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »
Let's get this out of the way.  How many wacky instruments have you incorporated in the newest DT album?  I feel the more wackier, the better.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:24:49 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:32:22 PM »
Ask him about the writing dynamics on the latest album with lyrics contributed by all members (with the exception of him).  Sounds like this is the biggest "band" effort to date.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 03:41:24 PM »
Ask him about the writing dynamics on the latest album with lyrics contributed by all members (with the exception of him).  Sounds like this is the biggest "band" effort to date.

Based on what I know of their past writing, I am predicting that he will say that, aside from lyrics, it really isn't that different.  It's more that the band just made more of an effort to clarify to the fans everyone's level of involvement because the band is aware of our perception.

But still a great question, and I would love to hear his answer. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would love to hear his thoughts on the ADTOE writing, both generally, and as to the following specifics:  (1) several of the songs appear to have VERY strong similarities in different ways to songs on Images and Words.  What was behind that decision, and how much of a conscious effort was made to incorporate things that would evoke connections with Images.  (2)  Is there a 1-to-1 correspondence between 8 of the songs on ADTOE to all of the songs on I&W, or only some?  Fans have made what seem like obvious connections for some of the songs, but struggle to come up with any connection on others.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »
Don't forget to include who was involved in writing the vocal melodies (was it the lyric writer, JP or a combination of both)?   :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 07:11:18 PM »
How has working with David Campbell on The Astonishing impacted the way you approach writing orchestral parts?

Speaking of The Astonishing, are there any plans to release a full orchestral "study score"?

What are some contemporary artists who you feel deserve more love (doesn't necessarily have to be prog or metal)?

When designing synth sounds, which producers/keyboardists do you tend to take the most inspiration from?

What sort of challenges have you faced switching between classical piano and rock piano in concert?

That should be good for now

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 08:06:50 PM »
I actually went to a Q&A he and JP did last time they were in the Luna Park (2016) but never got a chance to ask my question..

It was something along these lines: What kind of art do you like more besides music?.. (What do you read, what movies do you like or what you binge-watching? could complement the question if necessary)

I personally love this kind of questions, and more since we knew so much about them, but not about these type of things, and it could make for a less structured passage in the interview..

Thanks for sharing this :tup
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 01:07:33 AM »
I would love to hear his thoughts on the ADTOE writing, both generally, and as to the following specifics:  (1) several of the songs appear to have VERY strong similarities in different ways to songs on Images and Words.  What was behind that decision, and how much of a conscious effort was made to incorporate things that would evoke connections with Images.  (2)  Is there a 1-to-1 correspondence between 8 of the songs on ADTOE to all of the songs on I&W, or only some?  Fans have made what seem like obvious connections for some of the songs, but struggle to come up with any connection on others.

I believe the situation is like this:

On the Back of Angels is entirely based off Pull Me Under's structure
Lost Not Forgotten is mostly based on Under a Glass Moon's but it has a piano intro
Outcry is inspired by Metropolis' structure but there are differences such as a chorus
Far from Heaven is inspired by the general idea of a piano ballad like Wait for Sleep
Breaking All Illusions follows quite closely Learning to Live's structure

And... that's it. I'd be surprised if the remaining songs have some correspondence.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 04:47:47 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see how many of those I can ask - we will talk about his upcoming solo dates primarily, but I'm sure he won't mind answering some DT related questions.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 05:26:11 AM »
If there's still room for requests, could you please consider asking for a quick comparison between Al Dimeola and John Petrucci from his point of view? Thank you.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 07:13:09 AM »
If there's still room for requests, could you please consider asking for a quick comparison between Al Dimeola and John Petrucci from his point of view? Thank you.

There's still room. I plan to sit down and write the questions this afternoon. And thank you for reminding me about that - I had completely forgotten that Jordan and Al played together! Watching this one right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsQW-3Oy_z0

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 01:57:57 PM »
I'd like to know if Jordan, given how good on the guitar he is, has ever considered doing a side project where he writes the songs and performs guitar only, with another person on keys. If not, is that something he'd be interested in doing? Why or why not?

Thanks for asking us to contribute.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 03:18:30 PM »
You should ask him about the official bootlegs status  :corn :biggrin:

On a serious note: ask him about the work he has being doing at Stanford University.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 03:40:04 PM »
Jordan just got a signature 8 string guitar and we saw him playing it at the studio during the writing sessions for DT14. Did JP try it? I assume he did. Did he record anything with it dor DT14? Hmmm....
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 03:49:38 PM »
Ask him if they ever write tunes baked.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »

I believe the situation is like this:

On the Back of Angels is entirely based off Pull Me Under's structure
Lost Not Forgotten is mostly based on Under a Glass Moon's but it has a piano intro
Outcry is inspired by Metropolis' structure but there are differences such as a chorus
Far from Heaven is inspired by the general idea of a piano ballad like Wait for Sleep
Breaking All Illusions follows quite closely Learning to Live's structure

And... that's it. I'd be surprised if the remaining songs have some correspondence.

Seem to remember it being argued that This Is The Life shared structural elements of Another Day. Am surprised Bosk is asking someone to raise this question so many years on. Surely this something he could have asked JP himself over the years as he seems to have semi regular contact with him.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »
I'd like to know if Jordan, given how good on the guitar he is, has ever considered doing a side project where he writes the songs and performs guitar only, with another person on keys. If not, is that something he'd be interested in doing? Why or why not?

Thanks for asking us to contribute.

Love this one!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 05:55:25 PM »
Ask him if he is considering getting rid of his iPad-based, gadgety, Cheese Whiz keyboard sounds in light of the clearly superior, magnificent keyboard work on Psychotic Symphony?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 06:06:49 PM »
Ask him if he is considering getting rid of his iPad-based, gadgety, Cheese Whiz keyboard sounds in light of the clearly superior, magnificent keyboard work on Psychotic Symphony?

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »

Wow.  I would be so bummed out if that happens based on the question I wanted to ask Jordan.

Let's get this out of the way.  How many wacky instruments have you incorporated in the newest DT album?  I feel the more wackier, the better.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 06:11:26 PM »
Has he considered making history?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 09:41:00 PM »
I would love to address Derek's comments with Jordan, but it has to be done well...and even Derek, when I interviewed him for the second time, backed up from his statements.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 09:54:23 PM »
Has he considered making history?

I'm making history!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 09:59:07 PM »
Awesome! Good luck!

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 10:08:50 PM »
Cool, dude! Good luck! :)

Are you from South America too? Maybe you'll have a chance to run into him in a couple of months!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 10:15:29 PM »
Seem to remember it being argued that This Is The Life shared structural elements of Another Day. Am surprised Bosk is asking someone to raise this question so many years on. Surely this something he could have asked JP himself over the years as he seems to have semi regular contact with him.

All of this..

And yeah, AD and TitL do share almost the exact same song structure..

I'm making history!!!

Wow, that's not something you see everyday I suppose.. :caffeine::clap:
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 10:42:38 PM »
Cool, dude! Good luck! :)

Are you from South America too? Maybe you'll have a chance to run into him in a couple of months!

I am, but live in Toronto now. The place he'll play in Rio is across the road from my parents' house, and it's a great venue. Such a shame that I'm not there anymore...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 01:16:46 AM »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 09:51:04 AM »

I agree. I wanna hear more keyboards and raw energy rather than robotics....
I thought Jordan was a keyboard player, not a DJ...
Hopefully this album will be better, as the recent DT album was mostly pianos and sound effects
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »
I thought Jordan was a keyboard player, not a DJ...

Yeah, well, some of us thought Derek was a class act.  Sometimes, you just learn that you are dead wrong about things.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 10:31:48 AM »
As long as there is more keyboard action and energy driven leads, i'll be happy....
Constant Motion, Lost Not Forgotton, This Dying Soul.....
Leads like this. And RAW POWER... Like what happens in GOTS & DA....
It works for Kieth Emerson & Jon Lord.... It works for me 😂
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »
Interview done. A couple of things: he's aware of the criticism of The Astonishing and of the drum sound, and he believes both issues will be addressed in the next album: a KILLER drum sound, and a "classic Dream Theater album".

And I asked if he will shave his beard!

Will post it here once it's published.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »
 >:(

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »
Interview done. A couple of things: he's aware of the criticism of The Astonishing and of the drum sound, and he believes both issues will be addressed in the next album: a KILLER drum sound, and a "classic Dream Theater album".

Wow, that's interesting, looking forward to your interview.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »

Wow, that's nice to hear!! Thanks for the insights.

When are you planning to publish it?