Author Topic: I miss DT commentaries  (Read 1743 times)

Offline nikatapi

I miss DT commentaries
« on: October 16, 2018, 06:50:09 AM »
So i was listening to Evergrey's "The Storm Within" commentary on spotify, and remembered how much fun i had with DT commentaries on their DVDs.

Fun facts, some funny moments, and interesting points of discussion which gave us lots of information on composition, live performance and even tour stories.

Kind of wish they would do it again, especially with Mike being such a weird and interesting talker in the fold.

Offline mikeyd23

Re: I miss DT commentaries
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 06:54:40 AM »
I totally agree, it's one of the things I'd really like to see with a future concert DVD release. Obviously, MP seemed like he was most into the commentaries in the past, but with him not there, I think it would actually be more interesting (giving the other guys more of a chance to speak).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 07:03:44 AM »
I believe MP had to (not literally) drag the others kicking and screaming into the room to even make a commentary. So while I don't hold my breath for it, I agree it would be something different now that the dynamics in the band have changed to hear another commentary.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online pg1067

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »
I LOVE the commentaries, but I wonder if there are more than those I'm aware of:

As I sit here, I can only think of two:  LSFNY and WDADRu.

Are there others?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:29:41 AM »
Live in Tokyo / 5 Years in a Livetime double feature.

Featuring, among other pearls, a couple of Jordan's world class timed comedy stingers

Online pg1067

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 10:49:44 AM »

Featuring, among other pearls, a couple of Jordan's world class timed comedy stingers

Really?  Why would Jordan do a commentary track on stuff he didn't play on?

It's been a while, so I'll have to pop it in and give it a watch this weekend.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »

It's been a while, so I'll have to pop it in and give it a watch this weekend.

He was in the band when the DVDs came out. I think it would have been weird for him not to be there, just because he doesn't play on the videos. He does have some good insight, still.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 10:59:02 AM »

He's pretty classy/silent on the playing, but delightfully vicious on looks, videoclip choices and stage antics, if memory serves me well.

He's on board 'cause the bundle came out in 2004. Anyway, comedy gold.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 11:00:14 AM »
If I remember, Jordan still drops some interesting comments on what he does similar or different on certain songs.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 01:23:00 PM »
I LOVE the commentaries, but I wonder if there are more than those I'm aware of:

As I sit here, I can only think of two:  LSFNY and WDADRu.

Are there others?
I believe that's all of the full band ones, but I know MP did some commentaries for his drum cam videos and his band tribute albums (I was lucky enough to sit in with MP and Paul Gilbert for the Cygnus and the Sea Monsters one). I think someone commented that MP's drum cam for the Score show had his commentary, and I know the one for Live at Budokan one did too. So while they aren't the full band, they still are great for a DT fan to enjoy, assuming you can still find them as they are out of print.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 03:40:15 PM »
I believe MP had to (not literally) drag the others kicking and screaming into the room to even make a commentary. So while I don't hold my breath for it, I agree it would be something different now that the dynamics in the band have changed to hear another commentary.

Yeah, and there's the logistics too.  For the LiT/5YIALT they all got together before their Budakon show or maybe it was just part of their Japanese tour. 

Not sure when they got together for the others but I think they had to all fly/drive out and meet.  That costs money and time and I think MP was the only one that cared enough to do it.  With Score, the fact that they were fined $30,000 bucks for running 3 minutes over meant that they decided not to spend the extra money to do a commentary, especially since the other guys didn't care much for it.

Lots of great insight in all of them, though. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »
Not sure when they got together for the others but I think they had to all fly/drive out and meet.  That costs money and time and I think MP was the only one that cared enough to do it.  With Score, the fact that they were fined $30,000 bucks for running 3 minutes over meant that they decided not to spend the extra money to do a commentary, especially since the other guys didn't care much for it.
Honestly, I do have to wonder how much does it *really* cost for them to do it or how much effort is needed. I mean, when I did the one with MP and PG, we literally sat in front of a laptop computer squished together in a small room that held equipment with 3 microphones. FYI, this room was next to the stage at the Center Theater in Whittier, CA - a small theater that holds maybe 400 people. It was by no means fancy nor was anything rehearsed.

So it makes me wonder why they couldn't have done something similar before one of their shows while they were out on tour or even do it in a hotel room or somewhere else on one of their days off. If it's before a show at a venue, and we're talking about a 2+ hour video, do half of it at a time if they couldn't do the whole thing in one shot. All the guys would be there, it wouldn't take much to set up some microphones and a means to record the audio, and just roll with it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 07:09:02 AM »
Honestly, I do have to wonder how much does it *really* cost for them to do it or how much effort is needed. I mean, when I did the one with MP and PG, we literally sat in front of a laptop computer squished together in a small room that held equipment with 3 microphones. FYI, this room was next to the stage at the Center Theater in Whittier, CA - a small theater that holds maybe 400 people. It was by no means fancy nor was anything rehearsed.

So it makes me wonder why they couldn't have done something similar before one of their shows while they were out on tour or even do it in a hotel room or somewhere else on one of their days off. If it's before a show at a venue, and we're talking about a 2+ hour video, do half of it at a time if they couldn't do the whole thing in one shot. All the guys would be there, it wouldn't take much to set up some microphones and a means to record the audio, and just roll with it.

Yeah I agree Scotty, it would be a very easy thing to do in a backstage room while on tour. Just get a laptop, a couple mics, and they'd be good to go.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 07:59:42 AM »
Nowadays it is that simple but when score was released it would have been more difficult. Plus you need to look at the release schedule and if it synced up with touring, and like has already been stated, MP seemed like the only one that cared.

It's funny because each person had a lot to add to the commentary so it's no like they were sitting there just feeling worthless. Each one stole the show at one point or another and Mike being the fan of commentaries that he is was a great moderator of sorts.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 12:54:12 PM »
Nowadays it is that simple but when score was released it would have been more difficult.
For Score, actually no. The one I did was before the first Amazing Journey show in 2006. So even back then, technology was advanced enough to make it relatively easy to do. Had it been a commentary for 5YiaL around the time of release, I would agree.

Plus you need to look at the release schedule and if it synced up with touring
Good point - that's something I hadn't taken into consideration. Although if they were to do it for reissues of older releases (such as LiT/5YiaL) it would be much easier to plan for since the video is already edited. Or they could even do a commentary that's downloadable and can be synced up with the video, which I know has been done on occasion with other releases. But yeah, if no one else wants to do it (aside from MP), sadly it ain't gonna happen.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »
I don't think it is "hard" to do, technologically or otherwise.  Or particularly expensive.  I mean, I guess it could be financially unworkable if, because of other content, an extra audio track wouldn't fit on a DVD (I wouldn't imagine it being an issue with BR), which would then necessitate an additional disk.  But I don't think that's really the issue.  It's just a bit more time consuming, and I don't think the band have been interested in doing another one.  But I will try to remember to mention it to them if and when they talk about doing another live video release.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 04:43:15 AM »
since you just mentioned "live release": IMHO, I'd love one of the DT14 tour (I'll just presume it will be a good album and InsideOut would agree to do a live release)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"