Author Topic: Apple Music or Spotify?  (Read 1258 times)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Apple Music or Spotify?
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
I just subscribed to Apple Music.
Currently taking advantage of the 3 months trial.
Is it worth having?
Is Spotify better?
Can you guys give me your input?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Apple Music or Spotify?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:52:59 PM »
spotify has never cost me a dime, so that's my two cents
i've never even used apple music though because why bother when i already have one option that works

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:57:27 PM »
spotify has never cost me a dime, so that's my two cents
i've never even used apple music though because why bother when i already have one option that works

Spotify has a premium service without ads and the advantage to download the music to your device, is it the same on Apple Music.

Do you have the free service or the premium one?

-

Another question I have for those familiars with the service is, if I download a song/album to my device and after some time (let’s say) a year I decide to cancel my membership, do I keep the files downloaded to my device or do I lose them?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 07:58:23 PM »
i have the free service & adblock, and i just buy CDs if i want to own the music I listen to

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:11:05 PM »
i have the free service & adblock, and i just buy CDs if i want to own the music I listen to

I read that with the free service of Spotify you can’t forward/rewind songs is it true?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 08:28:09 PM »
i mean on the web player you absolutely can

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 08:31:44 PM »
The premium version of Spotify is all I have ever bothered with and it is amazing. Limited functionality on the free version makes my ass itch. The paid version is worth every penny. If you cancel the sub then no you will not have access to whatever you downloaded/saved, it will treat it as if you've only had the free version. But it's worth the 10 USD a month. Especially if you're like me and have the Hulu partnership for an extra $3/month.

Can't say anything about Apple Music but I really can't see myself switching from Spotify ever. It's been a blessing for me, I've been subbed I think 5 or 6 years now and have never unsubscribed.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:44:25 PM »
The premium version of Spotify is all I have ever bothered with and it is amazing. Limited functionality on the free version makes my ass itch. The paid version is worth every penny. If you cancel the sub then no you will not have access to whatever you downloaded/saved, it will treat it as if you've only had the free version. But it's worth the 10 USD a month. Especially if you're like me and have the Hulu partnership for an extra $3/month.

Can't say anything about Apple Music but I really can't see myself switching from Spotify ever. It's been a blessing for me, I've been subbed I think 5 or 6 years now and have never unsubscribed.

What does the Hulu partnership gives you?

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 08:45:28 PM »
Never mind I just read what it is

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 07:18:20 AM »
My two cents:

I used to have Spotify but moved to Google Music for the simple reason that it allows you to upload music to your account and stream it wherever you want, which allows me to listen to King Crimson, Transatlantic, TNMB, etc, when I'm at work. It also lets you download things to your device and listen offline.
Regarding music availability, there are a few things that are available in GM that are not in Spotify and the other way around, though there's no real big difference.
What I really miss about Spotify is the weekly recommendation playlist it builds based on your listening habits. It is a great source for discovering new music. GM has something akin to that however their algorithm is not nearly as good.

Apple music I haven't tried and won't since I don't own apple devices.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 07:26:08 AM »
What I really miss about Spotify is the weekly recommendation playlist it builds based on your listening habits. It is a great source for discovering new music. GM has something akin to that however their algorithm is not nearly as good.

I am on team Spotify and I couldn't agree with this more. The algorithm they use is fucking spot on. I've discovered nearly as many bands through Spotify as I have through DTF!

I mainly use Spotify to discover new music and use my iPod for everything else. It works amazingly for me and I have playlists full of music to check out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 07:29:16 AM »
I just synced all my local files with my mobile spotify app and now I can listen to them wherever I want.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 07:32:03 AM »
I have HEARD that if you cancel your Apple Music membership, your downloaded tracks will disappear, too. I'm not sure about this since I never use stuff like that but I think it makes sense. Otherwise, you could just book a 3 month membership and download 4500 albums or so and then cancel it.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »
Haven't tried Apple Music yet, actually for my uses, Spotify free is perfect for me. I listen to the majority of music at my desk at work, meaning I'm using the PC version of Spotify. The free PC version is way better than the mobile free version on my phone. Free Spotify on mobile is shuffle play only which drives me crazy. The PC version let's you play albums just like the paid version, just with commercials after every couple songs. Works for me perfect. I have tons of music I bought on my phone and iPod so I'll listen to that in the car.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 08:08:04 AM »
Another thing I find annoying about GM is that it sometimes mixes albums from bands that have the same name. You can avoid falling for them if you save them to your library, however when a new album appears you may think it's a new release from the band
you want to listen only to find out it's a freaking rap album from a band with the same name :facepalm:

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 08:30:06 AM »
I have HEARD that if you cancel your Apple Music membership, your downloaded tracks will disappear, too. I'm not sure about this since I never use stuff like that but I think it makes sense. Otherwise, you could just book a 3 month membership and download 4500 albums or so and then cancel it.

Correct, I read about this last night. It all disappears when canceled.
The other day I tried Spotify the free mobile version and was hugely disappointed with it because it was all random. Maybe I should try the paid version, the thing is I really want to know the differences if any with AM because if it is the same (or almost the same) I think I would stick with AM.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 08:34:44 AM »
I'm not a huge streamer, but prefer to just buy the MP3s.  However, to discover new music or when I am going to see a band and maybe I want to familiarize myself with the opener I don't know, I will create a spotify playlist to mimic the setlist.  I use the free version usually on the PC, but I noticed I can still play the playlists on the free mobile version. 

My gf pays for spotify, I just really don't like subscription services personally and I feel if I buy the album even if it's only the digital version on Amazon, that's better for the bands. 

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 08:38:18 AM »
Another question I have for those familiars with the service is, if I download a song/album to my device and after some time (let’s say) a year I decide to cancel my membership, do I keep the files downloaded to my device or do I lose them?

In spotify, once you go back to the free version, you lose the songs you've downloaded.

Regarding apple music, I've never used it but I heard somewhere (I think it was in this forum) that there was the risk that apple replace the songs in your library with the same songs from its library (replacing, for example, demo or alternate versions with the standard versions). I'm not sure about this since I've never used it, maybe somebody else knows more about this.

Offline 425

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 08:52:03 AM »
Regarding apple music, I've never used it but I heard somewhere (I think it was in this forum) that there was the risk that apple replace the songs in your library with the same songs from its library (replacing, for example, demo or alternate versions with the standard versions). I'm not sure about this since I've never used it, maybe somebody else knows more about this.

This is why, as a big-time Apple user, I won't use Apple Music (I use Spotify). I want clear separation between my streaming service and the music that I actually own.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 09:22:28 AM »

This is why, as a big-time Apple user, I won't use Apple Music (I use Spotify). I want clear separation between my streaming service and the music that I actually own.

Yeah, I read about a guy who even got some tracks he had produced deleted from his library.