Author Topic: Are orders from Ytsejam Records still possible?  (Read 6484 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Are orders from Ytsejam Records still possible?
« on: October 12, 2018, 03:44:53 AM »
Did anyone of you order anything from the Ytsejam Records page fairly recently and did it work for you? (could be anything, WDADR or any other record)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

Re: Are orders from Ytsejam Records still possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:13:13 AM »
Last thing I ordered was the Making of SFAM.  That was a few years ago, but obviously well after MP left the band.  I had the same concern, but I not only received what I ordered, I got great customer service when the item arrived and one of the discs was broken (the case was intact, but the disc was broken!).  I received a replacement within a couple of days.

Since the site is still up, it's probably reasonable to assume you can still order.  However, if you have concerns, you can always use the "Contact Us" link ( https://ytsejamrecords.com/contact/ ).  You could even try calling the registrant phone number that's available by doing a "whois" search for the website (although since I think you're not in the U.S., that might not be the best way to go).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »
Last thing I ordered was the Making of SFAM.  That was a few years ago, but obviously well after MP left the band.  I had the same concern, but I not only received what I ordered, I got great customer service when the item arrived and one of the discs was broken (the case was intact, but the disc was broken!).  I received a replacement within a couple of days.

Since the site is still up, it's probably reasonable to assume you can still order.  However, if you have concerns, you can always use the "Contact Us" link ( https://ytsejamrecords.com/contact/ ).  You could even try calling the registrant phone number that's available by doing a "whois" search for the website (although since I think you're not in the U.S., that might not be the best way to go).
you're right, I'm in Germany. Thanks for replying. I asked because I'm interested in some live recordings (WDADR and Bucharest among others)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:29:31 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline MRix85

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:02:11 AM »
I last ordered there in late December last year and the CD's arrived a couple of months later, in line with when MP was in the band. Around six weeks to ship the CD's and another couple to get them to me in Scotland. I'm sure MP would announce it if he was shutting the website or will not take anymore orders from it.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »
Thanks everyone for replying so far. Helps a great deal.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:23:56 AM »
I last ordered there in late December last year and the CD's arrived a couple of months later, in line with when MP was in the band. Around six weeks to ship the CD's and another couple to get them to me in Scotland. I'm sure MP would announce it if he was shutting the website or will not take anymore orders from it.

He has announced several times he has nothing to do with Ytsejam Records anymore. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »

He has announced several times he has nothing to do with Ytsejam Records anymore.
and exactly that was one reason why I asked.

Offline MRix85

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »

My apologies. I had no idea. I don't really follow Mike Portnoy anymore. Only Dream Theater.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 03:36:13 PM »
I don't really follow Mike Portnoy anymore. Only Dream Theater.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »
 :rollin

So here's my experience.  Ordered the last few Ytsejam things I needed.  Waited the requisite 3-4 weeks or whatever and heard nothing so I emailed and heard nothing.  Months are going by so I reach out to a few people with ties to the DT camp and they tell me what they know about it which isn't much.  I keep trying different avenues and finally call the company responsible for processing the credit card orders asking what they know.  It's a third party but they say they'll reach out to the Ytsejam people.  Suddenly I start receiving messages apologizing and letting me know they'll send out the stuff ASAP with a few extras. 

The guy that runs it is also MP's webmaster if I'm not mistaken.  Ytsejam isn't his main job and I wonder if he even makes much from it so I completely understand that it wasn't his top priority or somehow things slipped through the cracks.  Annoying for me.  It was rectified though and I'm happy.  Some time ago the domain name expired and I reached out to various people trying to make sure it didn't fall into the hands of some shady internet shark. It's back obviously but I guess if there is a moral to the story it is that a consumer should proceed with a bit of caution and DT needs to get it together when it comes to this. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »
DT needs to get it together when it comes to this.

THIS.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 08:27:25 PM »
Didn’t James say a few years ago that he was going to be in charge of Ytse Jam Records? Looks like he never started :huh:

Maybe Bosk or Noxon know something else?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 10:17:30 PM »
Didn’t James say a few years ago that he was going to be in charge of Ytse Jam Records? Looks like he never started :huh:

Yes, but I think what he meant is just that he was in charge of documenting which shows should be preserved for future release and then the Happy Holidays bootleg was the product.  I've always wondered how much the other guys even cared or knew about what was going on with Ytsejam Records. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 12:00:03 PM »
I remember a time when they used to sell these things on the merchandise stands at concerts. Pity they stopped doing that as it was more of an attraction when you could just buy them at a concert when you are already prepared to blow money on merchandise and get the cd straight away. I keep considering buying more of these but just don’t bother as you have to go online, put in all your details and then wait weeks/months for it to arrive. I know that’s not exactly hard work but it a significant enough barrier for me not to be arsed buying them. I know I’ll regret it though if they sell out and I don’t have them.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »
I placed an order on June 24 of this year, and it shipped September 2.  I think they're quoting 6-8 weeks to ship from time of order, now.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »
I remember a time when they used to sell these things on the merchandise stands at concerts. Pity they stopped doing that as it was more of an attraction when you could just buy them at a concert when you are already prepared to blow money on merchandise and get the cd straight away. I keep considering buying more of these but just don’t bother as you have to go online, put in all your details and then wait weeks/months for it to arrive. I know that’s not exactly hard work but it a significant enough barrier for me not to be arsed buying them. I know I’ll regret it though if they sell out and I don’t have them.

Oh dude, they're totally worth it.  Don't wait! I mean, some of them aren't special at all but the demos and the WDADRU CD/DVD are amazing.  The commentary on the DVD is a must.  The cover albums are a bit....ummm....hyped but they are still pretty cool. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 05:59:44 AM »
I have most, if not all, the covers albums and really enjoyed them. I have MOP, NOTB, MIJ and DSOTM anyway if that’s all of them. Also have a live dvd from 6DOIT tour and the big live LTE boxset.  The one I always look at is the SFAM one which has an alternate version of the album if I remember correctly and I was always curious what it sounded like.

I may start ordering one a month, like I said, I know I’ll kick myself if I leave it too late.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 05:49:36 PM »
I have most, if not all, the covers albums and really enjoyed them. I have MOP, NOTB, MIJ and DSOTM anyway if that’s all of them. Also have a live dvd from 6DOIT tour and the big live LTE boxset.  The one I always look at is the SFAM one which has an alternate version of the album if I remember correctly and I was always curious what it sounded like.

I may start ordering one a month, like I said, I know I’ll kick myself if I leave it too late.

I always did 3 at a time because the shipping charges you the same for 1-3 items.  Just a thought if you're a cheapskate like me

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
I have most, if not all, the covers albums and really enjoyed them. I have MOP, NOTB, MIJ and DSOTM anyway if that’s all of them.
There's also one that compiles all the stand-alone covers they did from 2003-2005, which IMO is also worth picking up, especially if you liked all the other cover albums.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 01:33:37 PM »
I have most, if not all, the covers albums and really enjoyed them. I have MOP, NOTB, MIJ and DSOTM anyway if that’s all of them.
There's also one that compiles all the stand-alone covers they did from 2003-2005, which IMO is also worth picking up, especially if you liked all the other cover albums.

Yea, that's a good one as well.  I'd say the MOP is my least favorite though and I love that original album, it's just that it's the one time where I felt DT really just didn't do a cover song (or in this case the entire album) that well and I feel it mostly is due to the keyboard replacing the second guitar.  I haven't listened to this in years though to see if my opinion has changed.  The NOTB cover album didn't have this issue though, I think it's just the nature of the Metallica songs maybe.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »

They all said the right things at that time . . .

Offline 425

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 10:43:28 AM »
It seems to me like several of the most popular items, including Bucharest, the Majesty Demos and the FII Demos, are listed as out of stock and have been that way for years.

I don't have any actual information about this, but it's my suspicion that at least some of these will never be restocked. I've been wanting Bucharest for years, and check the store periodically to see if the status has changed, and I have never seen it in stock since resolving to buy it as soon as it was.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 10:45:38 AM »
It seems to me like several of the most popular items, including Bucharest, the Majesty Demos and the FII Demos, are listed as out of stock and have been that way for years.

I don't have any actual information about this, but it's my suspicion that at least some of these will never be restocked. I've been wanting Bucharest for years, and check the store periodically to see if the status has changed, and I have never seen it in stock since resolving to buy it as soon as it was.

What I remember from sometime shortly after MP left the band was that existing stock would continue to be sold but that once existing stock was sold, that would be it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
That's what I remember, as well, but I also remember someone telling me that was wrong the last time I posted it, so I wasn't entirely sure!

I know running that online store is a lot of work, and too much to ask for someone who isn't dedicated to it the way MP was... but it would be nice if DT started selling the YtseJam back catalog as downloads, LiveMetallica style. Seems to me that would take much less upkeep than YtseJam and would probably bring in a lot more revenue.

I really want that Bucharest show and the IAW Demos, but I'm not willing to pirate them.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 11:41:11 AM »
That's what I remember, as well, but I also remember someone telling me that was wrong the last time I posted it, so I wasn't entirely sure!

I know running that online store is a lot of work, and too much to ask for someone who isn't dedicated to it the way MP was... but it would be nice if DT started selling the YtseJam back catalog as downloads, LiveMetallica style. Seems to me that would take much less upkeep than YtseJam and would probably bring in a lot more revenue.

I really want that Bucharest show and the IAW Demos, but I'm not willing to pirate them.

That's a good idea, IMO. I'd definitely stock up on a couple "classic" YtseJam releases that I don't have if they just offered digital downloads since the physical media seems to be forever out of stock.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »

I posted the same thing in some thread not too long ago, and I believe Bosk confirmed it (or at least seconded what I remembered).

I know running that online store is a lot of work, and too much to ask for someone who isn't dedicated to it the way MP was...

Creating new product to sell would require effort, but running the online store wouldn't take any significant effort at all and certainly wouldn't require one of the band members to do it.  Maintaining the site itself takes little to no effort since the content never changes except to note that something is out of stock.  Beyond that, it's just a matter of processing online credit card payments, having access to the inventory, printing mailing labels, and throwing items into a padded envelope and then into the mail.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 01:25:33 PM »
Could probably get one of the band members kids to do it for a part time job, but I think it's more complicated than just having someone do it.  I wonder if licensing is an issue and maybe the stock just isn't high enough to start an operation again?  Who knows.  I'm glad I got a pretty much all of the ytsejam recordings I wanted.  The only one I don't have is the Live in NY one, but I also have little desire to listen to it with all the rest of the stuff on my waiting to listen list that I wouldn't be looking to buy it anyway.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 01:53:48 PM »
I just placed an order today. So we'll see how long it takes from order to arrival.  :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 03:02:53 PM »
I just placed an order today. So we'll see how long it takes from order to arrival.  :)

Which is what I did yesterday.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 03:13:26 PM »
Ordered the Making Of SFAM plus WDADRU on cd and dvd. These were the main ones I wanted. Looked at the covers compilation album but there weren’t enough songs on there that I would be too excited to hear. Maybe further down the line.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 03:39:30 PM »
Too bad the covers compilation album is showing as out of stock.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2018, 03:50:37 PM »
Honestly, I didn't think it was that great.  There are some great tunes, but the performances and recording quality are really hit and miss.  For example, I was really looking forward to Mother, Father from the San Francisco show.  James crushed that song.  But the version on that covers album is from the sound check before the show, and is really flat.  Still a good release overall though.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »
Diary of a Madman is absolutely amazing.  Oddly enough, MP wanted to cover Revelation (Mother Earth) and James flatly refused which was the only song he'd ever refused to do, if I'm remembering right.  They did DOAM instead.  Revelation would have been cool but each member killed it on on Diary.

Heaven & Hell ain't bad either.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2018, 07:34:27 PM »
Oddly enough, MP wanted to cover Revelation (Mother Earth) and James flatly refused which was the only song he'd ever refused to do, if I'm remembering right.
You are correct!

Revelation would have been cool but each member killed it on on Diary.
Fully agree - DoaM is (IMO) a much better song, and a much better choice for DT to cover.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2018, 08:20:23 AM »
Oh, and since I was reminded by his avatar, I should also say that for the covers albums, as good as the music is, the BEST thing about them is Scotty's artwork.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."