Author Topic: Lost In Vegas reviews metal songs  (Read 4309 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Lost In Vegas reviews metal songs
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »
These two guys do a really good job reviewing and reacting to songs from some of the forum's favorite bands.  Check out their channel.  This thread is not about a band, but is definitely music-related, and I think a lot of people who aren't familiar would be highly entertained by what they do.

For those unfamiliar, these are two guys who are primarily hip-hop fans that created a channel to do reaction videos for other types of music.  At some point, someone apparently started suggesting metal songs to them, which kind of took off and became their major thing.  Their reaction videos are FAR more entertaining and discussion-worthy than most any others I have seen, IMO.

Some recommended videos (check them out even if you may not be the biggest fan of the specific songs):

Metallica - One:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB8pEPCt0Vg

Megadeth - Holy Wars:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh8wxc4tctE

Alter Bridge - Blackbird:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud0dXMrOAiI

Alter Bridge - Cry of Achilles:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAwgCQ462Qs

Jinjer - Pisces:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFlm8rIFzqA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discuss!   :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Lost In Vegas reviews metal songs
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 02:40:35 PM »
I like them, but I like most reaction videos to Pisces.

Also very cool to see Jinjer get a mention. One of my new favorite bands.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 02:41:11 PM »
For sure.  About the 4:00 mark in that Pisces video...  :rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Art

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 02:42:40 PM »
I subscribed to their channel some time ago. Good stuff. They really liked Mirror Mirror by Blind Guardian!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »
Yeah I like these guys, and I usually can't stand the whole "reaction video" thing. These guys are fun to watch though.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 02:47:24 PM »
For sure.  About the 4:00 mark in that Pisces video...  :rollin

Yup! Any time I introduce someone to Jinjer I show them that video and look for their reaction around the same moment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »
Oh I've watched so many of their reviews.   I love them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 08:40:56 AM »
Yes! I subscribed months ago. They both eat up the camera and are super witty.
some suggestions:
Checkout Eyes of a Stranger and Heaven and Hell.  Good stuff.
THEY ALSO LOVE GOJIRA AND TOWNSEND.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 09:17:55 AM »
Love these guys! One of my favourite moments in their videos has to be this section, just imagine not being into prog at all and listening to the instrumental section in Metropolis :lol But the funniest one was definitely when the girl from Jinjer blasts out the growls in Pisces, that was also my first time hearing that song and I honestly couldn't believe it. I've never heard female growls that sound so much like male growls before to be honest. Also love them for their mad Gojira love. :heart Probably the best of the bigger 'modern' metal bands out there for me

Obviously As I Am was a way better DT pick as they listened to that later and thought it was great.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:30:18 AM »
Obviously As I Am was a way better DT pick as they listened to that later and thought it was great.

Based on their tastes, I think they would actually really love Constant Motion. 

I have followed their videos, but I need to start an account so I can actually subscribe to their channel. 

I also want to recommend some Epica.  They haven't really delved into symphonic metal at all yet, so I'm not sure how they would react.  But I think the official video of Consign To Oblivion from the Zenith would blow their minds.  Curious to see their thoughts on the combination of clean, operatic vocals from Simone with the growls from Mark and Isaac.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 12:20:42 PM »
Yeah I think they'd dig Constant Motion. The Enemy Inside also seems like a winner!

I'm not into symphonic metal so cannot comment on Epica, but the recurring theme I have noticed in their enjoyment is the 'groove' in the main riffs. They like the mid-tempo heavy stuff that you can do those really badass slow headbangs to, and for vocals they seem to be into mostly the more masculine voices. Usually very gritty or very tough sounding hardrock/metal vocals. Honestly? I think they would love some Sons of Apollo, they also were impressed with Portnoy's drumming on Metropolis and I think As I Am too
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
For Constant Motion, I think George in particular would really geek out on the drumming and the groove of that song. 

For Sons of Apollo, I think it would depend on the song.  Something like God of the Sun or Labyrinth would probably lose them, as they don't seem to be overly keen on over-the-top instrumental sections with tons of changes and goofy time signatures, even though they recognize and appreciate the talent that goes into it.  But something more straightforward like Coming Home, Divine Addiction, or possibly Signs of the Time might pique their interests.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
yeah their channel is great.

I've posted links (Dream Theater and maybe Rush and few others) here and some places including my blog.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:54:03 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »
I enjoy watching these guys. Do they take Patreon donations for requests?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 10:21:37 AM »
I enjoy watching these guys. Do they take Patreon donations for requests?

I'll take donations.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 04:20:16 PM »
These guys kill me!! :rollin  Holy Wars...no foreplay, no kiss on my neck, no whispering sweet nothings in my ear, just gettin' right to it.  :lol: :2metal: :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 09:40:00 AM »
I love those guys and they’re honestly the only reaction video stuff I watch.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 10:48:05 AM »
I think reaction videos are stupid - is this what society has become?  We need attention, so people create videos where we can watch them watch or listen to something else?   :loser:

That being said, I do like these guys and I give them a lot of credit for doing something different, even if I really don't watch them.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »
well, there's been like a dozen imitators to pop up, and their channel has only been around for a little over a year.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 12:07:04 PM »
I think reaction videos are stupid - is this what society has become?  We need attention, so people create videos where we can watch them watch or listen to something else?   :loser:
Really, how much different is this from reading the review of an album or a movie? When you think about it, not too much. The biggest difference is that they're just focused on a single song at a time, and you're essentially getting their reactions "live", as opposed to something written after the fact.

Of course, there's plenty of garbage reaction videos out there, but there are also plenty of idiots who have reviewed albums and movies too.

Personally, I won't make a habit of watching these guys because quite frankly I don't like everything that they review. But occasionally I'll check them out, especially when they're reacting to a song that I really like.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 05:36:27 AM »
I understand the appeal of these reaction videos. It's every metalhead's wet dream to have a non-metal friend who would be open to listening and liking different metal songs you play for them :lol Having said that, I don't watch them.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 05:51:23 AM »
they need to react to

Savatage
Pain of Salvation

among others.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 08:10:14 AM »
I understand the appeal of these reaction videos. It's every metalhead's wet dream to have a non-metal friend who would be open to listening and liking different metal songs you play for them :lol Having said that, I don't watch them.

I don't know about "wet dream"--I don't really get the logic.  But it is fun and interesting to see a couple of guys who aren't really "fans" of the genre listen and react to these songs, and give thoughtful, open-minded analysis.  I find that genuinely entertaining.  I've seen plenty of reaction videos that aren't that and are just people watching and making uneducated comments.  I mean, this is that as well.  But, again, their thoughtful approach really takes it to a level that makes it entertaining and different.  I think it is telling that a number of artists they have reviewed have reached out directly to them and expressed their appreciation for what these guys do. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 01:01:52 PM »
Well said Bosk.  I also think they are incredibly insightful in their interpretation of the lyrics.  Now, I’m not much of a lyrics guy, but what grabs me most is the music first.  One of their reactions I saw (can’t remember the song), they were so into the music that they totally spaced the lyrics.  I don’t watch all their videos because I’m not a fan of all those songs.  Even so, I’d probably still enjoy watching them because they just love what they do.  Very inspirational and funny too.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 01:38:46 AM »
I don't know about "wet dream"--I don't really get the logic.
I typed "wet dream" instead of "dream" and decided to keep it :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 05:02:16 AM »
My one complaint is that they pause right in the middle of sections or solos. Their Dragonforce video is a great example of that. "I can't find the melody" - no shit, you're pausing every 5 seconds to talk for 30+ about the song, there's plenty of melody there even in the solos. Other than that I love watching their stuff.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
bump.

not Metal, but cool.

CREAM - White Room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHs0XZ3iMfc

Offline T-ski

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2018, 09:28:54 AM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2018, 09:37:51 AM »
Symphony X!

https://youtu.be/TgbEU6-jujY

As far as this song goes I agree with their criticisms - that's why I don't like early Symphony X. It's just too much, George nails it, it's not a cohesive structure. I think they would really enjoy some stuff like Seven, Set the World on Fire, etc.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2018, 09:49:08 AM »
A Perfect Circle...

https://youtu.be/Efi1kRdiKq0

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2018, 09:08:16 AM »
Symphony X!

~1:00 - Both of them:  "Hmm...I wonder what genre of metal this is in?"
Crazy drum fill that highlights the 13 time signature.
~1:30 - Both of them:  "Prog!"

:rollin
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:18:58 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 02:24:16 PM »
Symphony X!

As far as this song goes I agree with their criticisms - that's why I don't like early Symphony X. It's just too much, George nails it, it's not a cohesive structure. I think they would really enjoy some stuff like Seven, Set the World on Fire, etc.

I'm gonna second this. To me at least, Symphony X started getting really good when they backed off on the prog a bit and became more conservative. A lot of their early stuff just doesn't flow very well or have really great, cohesive structures. Take DWoT for example. That song's a fan favorite epic, but it's probably one of my least favorite prog epics out there. It just...does not work as a whole. There's a lot of cool moments in it (the choral intro, for example), but the song overall is very patchwork.

It works for The Odyssey (the song), with its narrative-driven structure, but not for most of their earlier songs.

Symphony X!

~1:00 - Both of them:  "Hmm...I wonder what genre of metal this is in?"
Crazy drum fill that highlights the 13 time signature.
~1:30 - Both of them:  "Prog!"

:rollin

That me rolling too :lol

I'd be interested in seeing how they react to Diablo Swing Orchestra! I wonder if they'd be put off by the...unconventional arrangements and operatic singing or if they'd just straight up dig it because of how catchy and groovy it is. Something like A Tap Dancer's Dillema, Voodoo Mon Amour, Guerrilla Laments (esp that), Balrog Boogie, Karma Bonfire, or Superhero Jagganath.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 03:40:08 PM »
Kings X "Dogman"...

https://youtu.be/ALG_mkF-j6s

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 04:57:31 PM »
surprised they were not fully into Dogman and the production, but they may check out another track from King's X at some point.

Which song?

Go Tell Somebody
We Are Finding Who We Are
What is this?
Train
Vegetable
The World Around Me

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 05:10:41 PM »
I think maybe a live track from Live in London.  They were saying that they would like to hear what the band sounds like live, so that could be good.  Just a question of which song.  If memory serves, it was a good show overall, but they did sound flat on some songs.