Author Topic: Please sign a petition to get Score re-released on Blu Ray  (Read 4123 times)

Offline PMA

Please sign a petition to get Score re-released on Blu Ray
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »
Subject says it all.  I read in a separate thread that Mike Portnoy said it was recorded in HD.  Even though some have said this won't work, I raised a petition (URL below), please sign and let's see where this may go.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:40:35 AM by PMA »

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Would you sign a petition to get Score re-released on Blu Ray?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 02:04:00 PM »
Nah, it wouldn't do an ounce of good, and while Score is good, it has had its day. Just my .02.

Don't get me wrong, I'd dig having it in higher definition, but I just don't think a fan petition will result in the record company investing the time and money into re-producing it for sale. Score did well, but a re-release may not be financially viable or warranted. And lets face it -- if it isn't gonna make 'em money, they record company isn't doing it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 02:13:41 PM »
I'm going to answer two questions:  the question you are actually asking, and the question I think your question is really getting at. 

Would I sign a petition?  Well, if fans wanted this bad enough that they went to all the effort to start a petition in the first place, sure.  Why not? 

Do I personally want a BR release?  Not really.  I mean, I have nothing against one.  But I just don't have any desire personally.  It's a great release.  But it's not one I have any great desire to revisit with any regularity, and the definition on the DVD release is just fine, IMO. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »
I'm going to answer two questions:  the question you are actually asking, and the question I think your question is really getting at. 

Would I sign a petition?  Well, if fans wanted this bad enough that they went to all the effort to start a petition in the first place, sure.  Why not? 

Do I personally want a BR release?  Not really.  I mean, I have nothing against one.  But I just don't have any desire personally.  It's a great release.  But it's not one I have any great desire to revisit with any regularity, and the definition on the DVD release is just fine, IMO.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

But I'll try anyway.

I'll sign a petition since it's not an awful idea and signing is easy. I don't need a blu ray cause it's great quality as is.

Maybe not better, but definitely more concise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »
I'd sign and I do want one.  The biggest issue with the Score DVD is the picture quality is not very good.  Budokan on DVD was much better and the Budokan blu-ray was a nice upgrade, a Score blu-ray would be a huge upgrade IMO.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 02:32:02 PM »
I would sign it.

I was there and the DVD quality is a bit underwhelming. Would be great to have a full HD souvenir of that night.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 07:31:41 PM »
It would be so awesome if we lived in a world where the petitions we were asked to sign were for stuff like this.. To answer the question,,  HECK YEAH!!!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 08:26:58 PM »
I personally really want this concert on Blu-ray
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline PMA

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 10:42:41 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on this.  I decided to raise a petition at this URL:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dream-theater-score-in-blu-ray

Thanks to all who sign.  Who knows, maybe this will eventually work.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 10:57:45 AM »
Signed and shared! 😎
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 11:01:13 AM »
If someone (maybe me) raised a petition, would you sign it?

No.  The DVD is fine, and I'm fairly confident a petition would be futile.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »
Signed and shared! 😎

Signed as well, although I have little hope this gets anywhere.

Offline Peter Mc

Re: Please sign a petition to get Score re-released on Blu Ray
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
Picture quality is pretty bad on the dvd so would definitely buy a Blu-ray.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
I signed it but it doesn't keep track of your IP so you can sign it a million times as long as the name/email are different/bogus.  I tested it and signed thrice (Meh/meh@meh.com, Na/na@na.com, and Bleh/bleh@bleh.com) but it can easily be really abused.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 05:24:56 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would a Blu Ray release actually make a difference?   If the source material wasn't shot in High Def (maybe it was, I don't know) then all you'd get is a high res transfer of a low res original. 

For example.    Re-releasing Monty Python on Blu-Ray is totally pointless.   Because of relatively primitive way the show was shot in the first place, you can only get so much out of the source material.   Same principle. 

I've noticed that the intro shot with the credits looks very grainy, but I think that's just due to low lighting levels.   I don't think you'd get a lot of improvement.   You would need it to be REMASTERED and *then* released on BluRay.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 04:40:51 AM »
The original post reads that MP said it was shot in High Def.  If so, that means it could be translated to blu-ray and look clearer than on dvd. It was filmed in 2005, which HD cameras were all ready in use. Rush's R30 was filmed in 2004 and it looks and sounds fantasic on blu-ray..😉

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 07:22:32 AM »
Yes, the concert was not filmed such a long time ago that they had and used the technology to make a HD video.  Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought they also had to even compress the video quality further to accommodate the audio for this concert which explains why even for a DVD it looks a bit grainy and not as good as it could be. 

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 07:52:55 AM »
The original post reads that MP said it was shot in High Def.  If so, that means it could be translated to blu-ray and look clearer than on dvd. It was filmed in 2005, which HD cameras were all ready in use. Rush's R30 was filmed in 2004 and it looks and sounds fantasic on blu-ray..😉
The show was shot and mastered in HiDef using studio cameras, not handhelds using an ESPN video mobile studio. Even the menus were done hi Def, the masters look really good.
Before MP left the band, we had begun the process of doing a bluray, the issue was that WB/Rhino couldn't find the master.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 08:19:03 AM »
The show was shot and mastered in HiDef using studio cameras, not handhelds using an ESPN video mobile studio. Even the menus were done hi Def, the masters look really good.
Before MP left the band, we had begun the process of doing a bluray, the issue was that WB/Rhino couldn't find the master.

:o I sure hope someone found it

Offline PMA

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 11:02:16 AM »

I didn't realize that some of the source material was missing.  Hopefully it was found.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 03:58:58 AM »
Aww, that sucks. Always loved Score, and thought it could do with a BD, and I had wondered why it never got a BD release... The DVD had a lot of macroblocking, and given all the bright colours and such, I imagine it looks amazing in HD...
Man, that's a real shame. I hope the HD masters are somewhere. I'd love to see Score in HD. I'd buy a BD of that in a heartbeat.

Anyway, regarding a petition, I'll be honest -- I think online petitions are stupid and never work. If you want to make a difference, get a discussion going, start a Twitter hashtag, get word around, etc. Petitions are almost like the lazy option for doing something like this, but without any of the advantages of doing something like this, and they're more bothersome to sign up for.
Though if Bobs23 says a BD was already in the process of happening, I imagine the masters being missing is still the main issue. Given Budokan got a BD release in 2011, I don't imagine Score would have stayed unreleased on BD if the masters had been found.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 04:32:25 AM »
Time and again you hear this kind of stuff. We can't find the tapes, we can't find the master etc... shouldn't be, like, proper and common procedure for a label to properly backup all the stuff that, after all, they own the rights for?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 05:38:47 AM »
Time and again you hear this kind of stuff. We can't find the tapes, we can't find the master etc... shouldn't be, like, proper and common procedure for a label to properly backup all the stuff that, after all, they own the rights for?
You would think, wouldn't you.

Never look into anime. The way Japanese studios store their stuff would make you have some kind of aneurysm...

Like... Seriously.

Toei have the original film prints and negatives used in the production of every episode, movie, and special from the original 1986-1997 run of the Dragon Ball franchise, but only have the original audio for the movies and GT, and only used the audio on the movies, but only for the home media releases in Japan. All foreign releases of the movies, and all releases of the TV shows use crappy audio from the optical film track, which are distorted and awful. Same situation applies to Fist Of The North Star, Saint Seiya, and Dr. Slump.
They also used the crappy '90s videotape master for all versions of the GT TV special aired, given to foreign distributors, released in Japan, etc., despite them still definitely having film of it... Which consequently means that while the video is awful, the Japanese audio is the original master, and since it was GT, it's even in stereo.

So... Just be glad our audio of Live In Tokyo isn't something like optical film audio in mono!! :lol

Even DT haven't been perfect, though. Metropolis on 5 Years In A LIVEtime comes from a VHS tape, because there was no other master available. And there's the famous case from Chaos In Motion, where the multitrack audio they got for a few songs was from a different show, so all they had for the video version was the soundboard audio that was already on the footage, which they could EQ, but couldn't properly mix or anything.
And I do wonder if a lot of Chaos In Motion wasn't cropped for the DVD, but was only available from footage that was cropped to widescreen.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:46:09 AM by Robo4900 »
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »
I would love it if they did this, since I was at the show.  It would be wonderful to have it in the best quality recording possible.

But I doubt very seriously that there is a big enough market for it at this point for it to be worth it for the powers that be.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 11:31:33 AM »
Signed... but I think it's highly unlikely to happen.  Would love a HD copy of my fav. DT live release though!!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 11:39:46 AM »
Never lose faith, I shall sign too.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline faizoff

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 06:55:47 AM »

Very interesting to know. I didn't realize the issue holding back the release was a lost master.

Quote from: jammindude
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would a Blu Ray release actually make a difference?   If the source material wasn't shot in High Def (maybe it was, I don't know) then all you'd get is a high res transfer of a low res original.

For example.    Re-releasing Monty Python on Blu-Ray is totally pointless.   Because of relatively primitive way the show was shot in the first place, you can only get so much out of the source material.   Same principle. 
That's usually not the way it works. Any old movies or shows that were captured on film still hold a very high resolution. I think I read somewhere a movie shot in 35mm film translates to a native resolution of 6k or thereabouts. Of course there are several factors but converting any old film to newer higher resolution will vastly improve. Look at the Gone with the wind restoration, that movie was shot in the 1930s and looks insanely good.
I believe it's the amount of effort and tools used that dictate how good it looks.
With Score on bluray, it wouldn't be just the video that gets a bump, I'm sure the audio gets a meatier upgrade too. I love the Budokan bluray audio, it's so much beefier if you use a good system to listen.I for one would be up for a Score Bluray.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 01:34:01 PM »
A signed petition, no matter the number of signees, doesn't guarantee anything. They can see the request but they have the liberty to do as they wish.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »
I think there would be market for this, just a matter of them wanting to.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 03:46:49 PM »
Maybe in the 20th anniversary of Score...

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 08:34:12 PM »
I would buy it especially in they advertised it as an audiophile version.  HD video plus hi res audio would make a big difference.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 02:58:31 AM »
A signed petition, no matter the number of signees, doesn't guarantee anything. They can see the request but they have the liberty to do as they wish.

Of course it doesn't guarantee anything, but with DT one of the problems in my eyes is a lack of attention to their back catalog. Whenever something gets reissued (especially if it's in a new format), it's usually just because it was caught in the label's larger reissue politics. Nobody within the band seems to be paying attention to that stuff or getting involved in any productive way, so such a petition might at least alert them to this kind of demand.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2018, 10:03:08 AM »
Not at all.  There is no reason they would even see or be aware of such a petition.  And even if they saw it, they aren't going to release a BR of a release that only a handful of people would ever even be remotely interested in buying.  The band members are smart enough to realize that there is practically no demand for this and practically no reason to do it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »
That makes me sad that there is no chance of an upgrade for it to bluray.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2018, 07:48:48 PM »
I think if Portnoy was still in the band, he would have definitely pushed hard for a blu ray. As iconic as the RCMH show was, I don’t see the point of releasing it now with Mangini in the band. It would just feel awkward. Would love a blu ray of that show since I was there.