Author Topic: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Charity Drive  (Read 1523 times)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Charity Drive
« on: October 10, 2018, 08:19:59 AM »
Looks like VERY limited quantities of the limited edition of the book are on sale. All proceeds going to MusiCares charity. I'd get it if I didn't already have it. I very much recommend getting it just for the few exclusive tracks that come on the CD. Even though this version of the book only goes up to 2007, it's still a great read.

https://dreamtheater.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/artist?artistName=Dream+Theater&sourceCode=DRAFBKWWUSD&utm_campaign=lnmfbkdra_banner&utm_medium=promoted+post&utm_source=facebook.com
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:17:48 AM by bosk1 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Re: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »
Looks like VERY limited quantities of the limited edition of the book are on sale. All proceeds going to MusiCares charity. I'd get it if I didn't already have it. I very much recommend getting it just for the few exclusive tracks that come on the CD. Even though this version of the book only goes up to 2007, it's still a great read.

https://dreamtheater.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/artist?artistName=Dream+Theater&sourceCode=DRAFBKWWUSD&utm_campaign=lnmfbkdra_banner&utm_medium=promoted+post&utm_source=facebook.com

I had that, sold it, and bought the paperback edition. I'd re-buy this, but...$195 is about 95 more than I remember paying for it the first time. I care about the cause and all, and glad the proceeds are going to charity, but that's pretty damn expensive.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »

Some really nice stuff in there... Your Majesty '02?  :o :o

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 09:42:59 AM »
Some cool rarities on the CD for sure.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Charity Drive
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 10:21:48 AM »
FYI, I split this from the original topic and modified the thread title slightly to reflect that this is for a specific charity drive that Dream Theater and Rich Wilson have partnered to support.  The reason for the cost is (1) because it is to raise money for charity, and (2) this edition is now very rare.  But mostly #1.  :D

FYI, the books are the original limited editions, still shrink-wrapped.  They were boxed (6 per box) in a climate-controlled environment, so they are in perfect shape.  The CD track list is:
1.  Another Won (1985)
2.  Two Far (1986)
3.  Status Seeker (1988)
4.  Don't Look Past Me (1990)
5.  Under A Glass Moon (1993)
6.  Caught in a Web (1995; live on BBC Radio One)
7.  You Or Me (1996)
8.  Burning My Soul (1998; live in Paris)
9.  Through Her Eyes (1999; original "Long Titanic Arrangement")
10.  Your Majesty (2002; live in Paris)
11.  Metropolis (2004; live in Los Angeles)

I have not listened to mine in a long time, but I recall it being pretty good.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:40:22 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

Re: DT Biography, Lifting Shadows Discussion
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »

$195?!?!

I don't recall how much I paid for this at the time, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything close to that amount.

Funny thing about the CD:  I'm sure I knew when I bought and first read the book that the CD was in there, but I think I quickly forgot and never listened to the CD.  A few months ago, someone (probably here) mentioned that it exists, and I thought to myself, "What?!  I don't remember any CD."  So I looked and found it untouched.

Honestly, it's a little disappointing.  I only found "Caught in a Web" to be both unique and really good.  The pre-WDADU stuff is kinda meh (I'm good with the versions of this material that I've had going back to the Majestic Harmonies bootleg).  DLPM didn't make it onto any album for good reasons.  I'm not a big fan of UAGM.  "You or Me" pales in comparison to "You Not Me."  The last four live tracks are ok, but "Metropolis" is available on WDADRu (which I get not everyone has, but it's still available for purchase), and the other three songs are not among my favorites.

The book itself is definitely worth having, but I'm not sure the price right.  I never shelled out for the subsequent editions, but I see that a paperback version is available for under $20, so I might do that if I can be sure it's the latest version.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 10:37:52 AM »
FYI, I split this from the original topic and modified the thread title slightly to reflect that this is for a specific charity drive that Dream Theater and Rich Wilson have partnered to support.

Thanks, Bosk!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 04:05:03 PM »
Looks like they're all sold out now :sad:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »
Wow, that's really cool!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 04:22:44 PM »
FYI, I split this from the original topic and modified the thread title slightly to reflect that this is for a specific charity drive that Dream Theater and Rich Wilson have partnered to support.  The reason for the cost is (1) because it is to raise money for charity, and (2) this edition is now very rare.  But mostly #1.  :D

FYI, the books are the original limited editions, still shrink-wrapped.  They were boxed (6 per box) in a climate-controlled environment, so they are in perfect shape.  The CD track list is:
1.  Another Won (1985)
2.  Two Far (1986)
3.  Status Seeker (1988)
4.  Don't Look Past Me (1990)
5.  Under A Glass Moon (1993)
6.  Caught in a Web (1995; live on BBC Radio One)
7.  You Or Me (1996)
8.  Burning My Soul (1998; live in Paris)
9.  Through Her Eyes (1999; original "Long Titanic Arrangement")
10.  Your Majesty (2002; live in Paris)
11.  Metropolis (2004; live in Los Angeles)

I have not listened to mine in a long time, but I recall it being pretty good.

Many of those songs were from the official bootlegs which I had all of when I bought it BUT Status Seekers is a special remastered version which fixes some of the sound quality issues.  Caught in a Web is a cool version I had never heard before. Your Majesty is the only time James has ever song that I think.  I also think that is one of the better of the Majesty era songs of which I am not a fan of most. 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 05:38:23 PM »
Honestly, it's a little disappointing.

Try putting on Through Her Eyes (Long Titanic) and just chill by the fire or next to a rainy window.  If you play guitar it's awesome to jam over.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 06:13:16 AM »
Looks like they're all sold out now :sad:

I guess they weren't kidding when they said they had a very limited amount!
WELP.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 06:22:20 AM »
I still wonder why there's no electronic version of this book.
Would really love to read it but i can't find it anywhere.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »

This is me. I've never read it and would love to have the ebook of it.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 07:33:32 AM »
What's wrong with getting an old-school real book? The most current version is reasonably priced.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 07:50:26 AM »
What's wrong with getting an old-school real book? The most current version is reasonably priced.

You know what, you're right. Looks like I could get the paperback on Amazon for like $18. That's not bad at all.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 07:52:49 AM »

Well, one thing, if we are buying a book online, we have to pay shipping.  I refuse to pay $5.00 for a $20.00 purchase when the possibility of buying said book for $10.00 and read it electronically can be an option.  One could argue that I should buy more stuff if buying more stuff gets you free shipping, but I never know what I need until I actually need it.

I wouldn't mind reading it as an ebook if it is an option.  Sounds like a great read and I do like good written bios if the person/band/entity that is being discussed gave it the thumbs up.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 07:54:20 AM »
Well, one thing, if we are buying a book online, we have to pay shipping.  I refuse to pay $5.00 for a $20.00 purchase when the possibility of buying said book for $10.00 and read it electronically can be an option.
So order it from Amazon when you're ordering something else and get free shipping.   ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 10:04:17 AM »
Honestly, it's a little disappointing.

Try putting on Through Her Eyes (Long Titanic) and just chill by the fire or next to a rainy window.  If you play guitar it's awesome to jam over.

The novelty of that version (which plays over the ending credits on the LSFNY DVD) had worn out long before Lifting Shadows was released.

Well...to the best of my knowledge, there's no ebook version available (in the other thread about the book, Rich Wilson posted that he might do a Kindle version at some point, but I don't think that ever happened since he got involved in other projects).  However, if what you want is to read it, there's a paperback version available on Amazon or Barnes & Noble for less than $20.  There are lots of ways to get free shipping on Amazon, and if you live near a Barnes & Noble store, you can have it shipped to the store free (since it's not likely in stock at many stores).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung