Author Topic: Good Omens  (Read 3833 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Good Omens
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:14:10 PM »
Based on the brilliant work by Pratchett and Gaiman, with David Tennant starring. Don't think this needs much more of an introduction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZSXlNRRoGU&feature=share

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Good Omens
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:18:31 PM »
I wouldn't call myself a big fan of Gaiman, but anything with Tennant in it has my interest.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 01:14:12 AM »
The book is indeed brilliant, so the series has the potential to be really good if done right.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:35:19 AM »
Ironically I never read the book. For someone who's a big fan of him (loved Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Boys, Coraline, Stardust, Cemetery Stories etc...) how big of an omission is to have not read The Good Omens? (I have to decide if to just watch the series or to read the book beforehand)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 02:12:02 AM »
I've only read American Gods by Gaiman, and while it's really good I think Good Omens is better. But then it's a collaboration with Terry Pratchett who is one of my absolutely favorite writers.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 02:50:15 AM »
American Gods and Good Omens have almost nothing in common. :lol

Gaiman and Pratchett are two of my favourite authors, and Good Omens is tremendous fun, so I've been really excited about this since it was first announced!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 05:16:44 AM »
I'd say the book is a really nice mix of Gaiman's quirky type of modern fantasy and Pratchet's excellent satirical humor. It's an excellent read.

While I'm excited about Tennant, I'm very curious to see how they handle the four horsemen. I remember that being my favorite part of the novel. I think I'm gonna have to give that one a re-read before the series starts to be honest, it's been a good two decades at least. Fuck I'm old.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 06:49:59 PM »
Barely over a week left. Just looked and it'll be only six episodes, all available on the 31st. Think I'll be quite lazy that weekend. :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 10:18:48 PM »
Put down two episodes tonight, this seriously good, just entertaining as fuck and really catches Pratchett's vibe.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 01:20:49 PM »
I'm on episode 2 now. Looks like Gaiman wrote the whole series himself. Always like when the actual (co)author is involved.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 02:38:34 PM »
I mean.... Terry Pratchett is dead, isn't he? Kind of hard to involve him at this point.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 05:41:52 PM »
I mean.... Terry Pratchett is dead, isn't he? Kind of hard to involve him at this point.

Didn't know that. Now I get why he isn't a producer or something. I just finished the series. Loved it. Sheen and Tennant's chemistry was just awesome.

Found this wonderful interview with Gaiman that discusses Terry's death and how that seemed to spawn what I just saw.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/30/18645935/neil-gaiman-interview-good-omens-amazon-adaptation-terry-pratchett-michael-sheen-david-tennant
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 06:38:14 PM »
Yeah, Tennant and Sheen are just fabulous in this, in fact casting all around is quite excellent. On Ep4 now.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 06:14:30 AM »
Been seeing the ads for this and it looks good.  Am not familiar with the book(s).  Is this a 6 part mini-series or only 6 episodes this season with more to come?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 09:33:45 AM »
6 part miniseries, and they wrap everything up tidily.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 03:24:00 AM »
Haven't watched this yet but just really have to plug the book. It reads more like a Terry book (and a really good one at that), but if you're looking for Neil in it, you'll find him. It's fucking hilarious and it gets a little confusing near the end with the full fucking apocalypse going on but then it all clicks.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline masterthes

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »
Good Omens was fantastic. No complaints at all, with the exception I wasn't totally crazy on the actor who played Adam. Other than that, I'm sure Terry was smiling. And I loved that it was just a mini series, instead of bloating it like some other Gaiman project that's currently out there

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 06:15:53 AM »
Finished this last night. Excellent mini-series with a surprisingly satisfying conclusion. I had few laugh-out-loud moments but I was chuckling the entire time. The cast was fantastic. For the side characters, I especially enjoyed Mireille Enos as War and John Hamm as Gabriel.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 10:31:06 PM »
Over 20,000 Christians signed a petition, claiming that the show mocks the apocalypse, and religion in general...

The petition, sponsored by a Christian group called Return to Order, and titled “Tell Netflix: Cancel Blasphemous ‘Good Omens’ Series,” claims that the series is “a mockery of God’s order and religion,” and expresses anger that “an angel and demon are good friends,”and that  “God is voiced by a woman.” In addition, the petition complains that “he Antichrist…is portrayed as a normal kid that has special powers.”

The petition complains about the attempt “to make Satanism appear normal, light and acceptable,” and concludes with a demand to “Stop promoting evil!”

Yes, you read that right...they petitioned Netflix to cancel the Amazon Prime series Good Omens.  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 12:07:36 AM »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 05:26:48 AM »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 05:40:39 AM »
I'm just waiting on a petition from drug dealers to remove Breaking Bad, as it shows them in a bad light.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »
Amazon tweeted to Netflix for an agreement that if Netflix took down Good Omens, they'd take down Stranger Things.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 04:47:01 AM »
Notice how they find insulting, among other things, the idea that God is a woman  :lol

Amazon and Netflix both were awesome on this. This is the best of the internet  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2019, 12:09:13 AM »
Amazon posted a tribute to Terry on YouTube today. It's mainly Neil sharing how him and Terry came to collaborate on the original book and wanting to make a show that Terry would be proud of.

https://youtu.be/1xygsIFyx4M

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 12:26:04 AM »
Finally finished this (yeah, I know I'm late  :D).

What a great series, Sheen and Tennant are fuckin' brilliant and I really like the guy who played Gabriel.

This is how a book-converted-to-film must look if done right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 09:45:53 AM »
Another bump.

Watched the series, totally loved it. I was unsure if getting the book first, eventually I watched the sries. Loved it from beginning to the end. David Tennant stole the show but Michael Sheen was great as well.

I realize now that Michael McKean is so used to be in comedic roles that Chuck McGill was the exception to the rule, and boy what a glorious exception it was.

Back to Good Omens, it has also one of the best opening titles ever and it was more or less what I was expecting, story wise, from Neil Gaiman (whose works I know) joining forces with Terry Pratchett. Brilliant series and everyone who is on the fence about watching it should definitively consider it!  :hefdaddy

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 10:06:42 AM »
Didn't know this thread existed.  My daughter and I watched this over a couple weeks and finished last week.  I mostly liked it, although I thought the last episode was a bit anticlimactic.  Didn't know any of the actors other than Michael McKean (I know him as Lenny from Laverne & Shirley and as David St. Hubbins from Spinal Tap, and my daughter was surprised that he was the same guy who was in a second season episode of Friends in which he shilled something called mockolate).  They were mostly good -- particularly the guys who played Aziraphale and Crowley (I really wanted there to be a tie-in with Alistair Crowley, but alas).

Apparently those two guys did a short film for YouTube, which is essentially "Aziraphale and Crowley in the time of Covid."  I haven't watched it yet.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2020, 11:45:52 AM »
Watching this now after having read the book last month. I'm two episodes in. Michael Sheen and David Tennant are killing it. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2023, 10:18:51 AM »
Season 2 started yesterday... Watching ep1 now. Curious to see where it goes since the source material is rough and unpublished

Actually the whole season dropped... There goes my day :lol
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 10:57:28 AM by lonestar »