Author Topic: The Walking Dead S9 v. Too late to stop  (Read 9146 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
The Walking Dead S9 v. Too late to stop
« on: October 07, 2018, 09:57:14 PM »
Just watched season 9's premiere.
I've stuck with TWD through it's horrible 8th season, I've been a fan since the beginning and never had any serious complaints about the show, never even came close to stopping. But the news of Andrew Lincoln's departure had me feeling like season 9 might possibly be the last for me unless they pull off something amazing with the Whisperers and Angela Kang make a miraculous turn around in terms of writing and pacing.
I don't know if Rick is getting banished, leaving or dying to facilitate Andrew Lincoln's exit. I know some people know but I'm hoping not to find out until it happens. I hope he doesn't die and we can get guest spots here and there later. The odds are sadly against it since Michonne is not leaving the show and Rick wouldn't leave without her.. we'll see.
I'm willing to bet money season 10 is going to be the last one, exactly how much money; I'll say after the mid-season finale heh
So the premiere, good episode overall. I already can't see how this show will work without Rick, there's a lot of strong characters but none I'm half as invested in as Rick. I liked seeing what's going on at the sanctuary, I like the prospect of what I'm gonna call neo-saviors, missing the old regime and possibly fighting for it. I would love to see Arat and the two other Negan lieutenants make a failed attempt to break him out at one point.
I don't understand why they had to take the farming equipment out of the museum.. why is farming equipment rare in the apocalypse?! They could have gotten better quality versions of the same stuff from any Amish farm.
I also don't get why they wouldn't just take the sanctuary residents into Alexandria and the Kingdom, since helping them surviving on their own at the sanctuary seems to be a major pain in everybody's ass.
I like that leader of the garbage people playing normal now, like she was never bat shit insane.
I'm still not buying into the Rick/Michonne romance at all. Carol and the King worked right away for me.
Looking forward to seeing Negan next week, I hope we get long dialogue between him and Rick.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Walking Dead S9 v. Too late to stop
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 10:43:28 PM »
I haven't watched the show since Carl died. Not that I liked his character, I just kind of lost interest. I'll pick it up again at some point.

In other news: RIP Scott Wilson

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 07:05:55 AM »
I thought it was a great episode.  They've injected some horror and intensity back into the show - a few scares with walkers, the "will they/won't they" make it across the glass floor and pushing the wagon out of the muck, plus the disagreements between the three leaders (Rick, Maggie, Daryl), and ending it on the stuff with Gregory.

I'm excited to see if they can keep it up through the first half of the season - for the first time in a few years, I actually have some anticipation for next week and wanting to see what happens next. 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 12:46:44 PM »
Watched the premiere episode out of curiosity. I stopped watching after the S8 mid season finale since killing Carl is the dumbest shit this show has ever done.  I'll probably watch until Rick dies/leaves/whatever but this is show is no longer a priority for me.
It was alright. The dialogue finally sounds human. I would say I'm excited for the upcoming plotlines, but without Rick, Carl, and Maggie, who gives a shit. I wouldn't be surprised is Danai Gurira leaves soon, now that she's part of the MCU.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 09:56:29 PM »
This feels like 90's to mid-00's TV when seasons were 22 episodes long, when you're watching a scene that you know is only there because there's 16 fuckin episodes in the season and time needs to be filled with something. TWD has felt like that more often than not since season 7. It's not about whether the scene should be there or not, but more about how slow some of these scenes are. What did we learn on this episode that we didn't know from the premiere? 3 minutes worth of story progress overall IMO.
The presence of the 3 high ranking female Saviors is still very odd, their apparent co-existence with the other communities is weird and uncharacteristic. One of them was Negan's bodyguard, the other one was of his 5 top officers and the third a reliable henchman. I hope it turns out they're only acting nice cause it doesn't make sense.
Tara is as unbearable to watch as ever.
The old couple who lost their son at the hill top are so perfectly casted, the actors are doing such an awesome job for such small roles.
Rick shooting the rope and unleashing the logs on the walker herd was one of the coolest sequences I've seen on the show in a while, I loved it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 05:53:26 AM »

The old couple who lost their son at the hill top are so perfectly casted, the actors are doing such an awesome job for such small roles.

The mother is stand up comedian Brett Butler, who was a fairly major star in the 90s, had her own TV series, "Grace Under Fire" for 5 or 6 seasons until she fell into drug and alcohol issues and the show was cancelled.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 11:09:11 PM »
Oh damn I vaguely remember that show, I didn't recognize her at all.

Online Grappler

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 08:18:20 AM »
So, we're several episodes into the season and it's holding my interest a lot more than last year.  There is more tension and I find myself wanting to know what happens next and caring for these characters again.  Season 8 rarely made me feel like that. 

I'm excited and sad for Rick's last episode.  Can't wait to see what happens, but sad that 8 years of watching him kick ass on the show has come to an end.  I really wish his leaving the show wasn't leaked - it would have been so explosive as a surprise to viewers.  It will be interesting to see not only how the story and characters move on from it, but also to see how the ratings do too. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 08:22:06 AM »
So, we're several episodes into the season and it's holding my interest a lot more than last year.  There is more tension and I find myself wanting to know what happens next and caring for these characters again.  Season 8 rarely made me feel like that. 

I'm excited and sad for Rick's last episode.  Can't wait to see what happens, but sad that 8 years of watching him kick ass on the show has come to an end.  I really wish his leaving the show wasn't leaked - it would have been so explosive as a surprise to viewers.  It will be interesting to see not only how the story and characters move on from it, but also to see how the ratings do too.

I think it was done intentionally in an effort to retain viewers who were going to bail on this season, and maybe bring back some who bailed during the the last half of 7 and 8.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 03:56:31 PM »
Wait holy crap is this on S9 now? I stopped watching a few years ago because it got so stale but s9 still sounds really high to me.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 11:15:59 PM »

I think it was done intentionally in an effort to retain viewers who were going to bail on this season, and maybe bring back some who bailed during the the last half of 7 and 8.

I have not brushed up on the internet about the "Rick last eps." subject nor am I familiar with the comic, however, I just believe that they new there was no way possible to keep it a secret so they just came out with it. I am really enjoying this season so far.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 08:05:07 AM »

Which isn't/wasn't a bad idea. This season thus far has been pretty good....at least when compared to the last couple seasons. Angela Kang has done a good job as show runner thus far.

Prime example was when Maggie hung Gregory. Kang was on 'the talking dead' and all but admitted that TWD has a history of dragging things out. she said something to the effect of that story/relationship between Maggie and Gregory had been escalating for a while and she felt that there was no need to continue it for the sake of continuing it.....and decided 'why not' end that storyline right off the bat.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 10:22:45 PM »
Tonight's episode wasn't the dumbest TWD episode ever, but it was an easy top 5!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 12:19:00 AM »
I actually dug how they ‘concluded’ Rick Grimes story on the Walking Dead Show.....really dug the time jump as it seems they’ve replaced the Carl/Negan relationship with Negan/Judith and am really curious about the feature length AMC special movies they are producing to continue Ricks story and explore the broader world.

Online Grappler

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 06:23:56 AM »
The first 60 minutes were amazing, especially that scene with Rick and Shane in the car.  After the explosion, I was completely satisfied - I wanted him to die and not leave something open ended.  Then the helicopter scene made me think the ending was lame, but once Gimple announced the movies right afterward on Talking Dead, I thought that was so cool.  He's never really been allowed to talk about what he's doing in overseeing the television shows, and this explains a lot.

The characters on the main show believe he's dead.  But the character won't be ending for the fans, and we'll still get to see him kick ass, but on his terms (i.e. shooting a 60 day movie schedule vs. 6 months in the US).   

I haven't read the Whisperer arc for 2-3 years, and left off at the end of Compendium 3, which was pretty much the pike scene. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 06:27:26 AM »
I thought it was a very smart and creative way for Kang to ‘fix’ the problem that Gimple created by firing Chandler Riggs for turning 18. Use the time jump so that Judith can essentially become comic book Carl in the post Negan/New Hope era.

I’m intrigued by the AMC feature length movies concerning TWD universe, as it sounds like there may be several on the horizon that explore different times, places and people.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 09:19:08 AM »
Wtf, so the show has actually jumped forward 6 years? Isn't that longer than the story-time that's passed in the entire 8.5 seasons so far?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »
I thought it was a very smart and creative way for Kang to ‘fix’ the problem that Gimple created by firing Chandler Riggs for turning 18. Use the time jump so that Judith can essentially become comic book Carl in the post Negan/New Hope era.

I’m intrigued by the AMC feature length movies concerning TWD universe, as it sounds like there may be several on the horizon that explore different times, places and people.

I'll second that!  This season has brought me back to high interest in the show (something I really haven't had since they came to Alexandria); I was actually glad to see that Rick will be back in another arc of features... perhaps when it "all ends" all of the features and the other shows that are here and coming will dovetail together and everyone will see that Rick is still alive.

As for Rick and Shane in that car... I actually fist pumped the air and let out a yell!  That was the old school WD writing, loved Shane and always told my wife that Rick basically spit his personality to Rick/Shane and called upon the Shane side when he needed it.  Nice to see the show confirm it.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online Grappler

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 09:22:21 AM »
As of this season, I think they were about 4 years into the apocalypse.  So jumping six years ahead ages Judith to be about 10 years old, which was about the same age as Carl when the series started.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 12:16:55 PM »
As of this season, I think they were about 4 years into the apocalypse. 

I'm not sure that's accurate. I mean, at the beginning of this season it was an 18 month jump. It may have been around (4) years prior to that....so maybe it was 6.5-7 years when Rick disappeared.....now it's 6 years after that.

I believe In the comic the 'jump' that happened after the 'All Out War' arc was longer than the 1.5 years they did on the show. It's been quite some time since I read that part but I believe that jump was what they are doing now...5-6 years. Because Rick was significantly older....which is where 'old man Rick' came from.....all communities had had major advancement and construction...etc etc.

It looks like what Kang has done has used that as a jumping off point....and despite having not seen an episode in this 'new' timeline, I'd imagine the show is going to be recharged. Like Andrew Lincoln mentioned in his interview on TTD last night.....Rich Grimes being gone from that story opens up so much more opportunity and freedom to explore other characters and ideas. Besides, with Judith around and the way she confidently states she's "Judith Grimes"....I think they'll still make sure to keep Ricks memory and influence in the forefront of a couple characters.

I'm in agreement with vtgrad when he says my interest in the show is at it's highest level it's been at in a few years. I'm trying not to get too excited as I'm fully aware of how bad AMC can jack the story up.....but up to this point in this Season I've been very happy with what Kang and Co. have done to try and steer the show back on course.

Online Grappler

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 12:29:01 PM »
https://walkingdead.fandom.com/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_TV_Show_Timeline

The Walking Dead Wiki has Season 8 ending at 1.5 years into the apocalypse.  Season 9 begins (with the 18 month time jump) at 1,170 days (Just over 3 years).  I had read a summary earlier this morning that alluded to 4 years, so that isn't too far off.

The Judith Grimes flash forward/time jump then puts the show at just over 9 years into the apocalypse.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »
Can someone give a quick recap of how they took care of Rick? Also, is there still gasoline 9 years in the future?

Online Grappler

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 12:49:16 PM »
Can someone give a quick recap of how they took care of Rick? Also, is there still gasoline 9 years in the future?

Rick was gravely injured while leading a herd of zombies away from a camp.  He hallucinated conversations with Shane, Hershel and Sasha which helped propel him forward and in and out of consciousness, leading the herd to a bridge that all survivors were trying to complete.  Rather than collapse under the weight of the herd, the bridge held, so Rick fired his gun at a pile of dynamite, blowing up the bridge and causing the zombies to fall into a rapidly rushing river.  Rick is presumed dead by everyone that saw him blown up in the explosion....but he was actually thrown farther down the riverbank.

Rick was rescued by Jadis/Anne of the junkyard survivors, who is and was part of a human trafficking ring.  She convinced a helicopter to pick them up and fly them...somewhere.

There is very little gasoline available to them.  Survivors are traveling by foot or on horseback.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »

Rick was gravely injured while leading a herd of zombies away from a camp.  He hallucinated conversations with Shane, Hershel and Sasha which helped propel him forward and in and out of consciousness, leading the herd to a bridge that all survivors were trying to complete.  Rather than collapse under the weight of the herd, the bridge held, so Rick fired his gun at a pile of dynamite, blowing up the bridge and causing the zombies to fall into a rapidly rushing river.  Rick is presumed dead by everyone that saw him blown up in the explosion....but he was actually thrown farther down the riverbank.

Rick was rescued by Jadis/Anne of the junkyard survivors, who is and was part of a human trafficking ring.  She convinced a helicopter to pick them up and fly them...somewhere.

There is very little gasoline available to them.  Survivors are traveling by foot or on horseback.

Good recap. I'll just add that I thought it was done really well. Could have been cheesy considering it was hallucinations but I thought it came across great and was effective. Each flashback sequence and the characters involved was pretty cool and on point. I loved that Shane sequence. I liked the symbolism as well as it was Rick on a horse....the rebar had pierced the exact same side/location on his torso that the gun shot did....there were a lot of call backs to the first season in that imagery. Very well done.

Also, Scott Gimple was on The Talking Dead and revealed to the audience and fans for the first time that they are going to continue Rick's story with a series of AMC Exclusive feature length films....aired on AMC. They'll delve into places/people etc etc that are outside of the scope of the show as we know it. He even said they have plans to explore other countries and even past characters in these feature films....either past, present or future.

It sounds pretty cool actually if done well. that's the thing...it's a big IF

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »
The Walking Dead Wiki has Season 8 ending at 1.5 years into the apocalypse. 

This just doesn't seem like that's right. I can't access the wiki due to work firewall to take a peek at how they broke it out....but they lived at the Prison for a year. Prior to finding Herchel's farm they had survived a whole winter outside on their own. That was after leaving the CDC. That's (2) years right there. Either way....it was 3-5 years prior to the 6 year jump.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »
Kind of disappointing Shane didn't say "M'ask you sumthin Rick."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 02:39:54 PM »

While rubbing his head.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 08:06:52 AM »
Also, Scott Gimple was on The Talking Dead and revealed to the audience and fans for the first time that they are going to continue Rick's story with a series of AMC Exclusive feature length films....aired on AMC. They'll delve into places/people etc etc that are outside of the scope of the show as we know it. He even said they have plans to explore other countries and even past characters in these feature films....either past, present or future.

It sounds pretty cool actually if done well. that's the thing...it's a big IF

Well because it's Gimple, I guarantee it won't be done well.

I have no problem with Rick's exit, and it was nice seeing Shane and Hershel(RIP) again. I don't understand why they chose Sasha of all people to come back though.
One thing that a lot of people didn't realize was that this is also Maggie's last episode.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/11/walking-dead-maggie-lauren-cohan-last-episode-905

I'm sure they'll address it next week, but it seems weird that that's how they chose to end her character. I guess she died sometime  in the ~6 year timeskip? I can't imagine she'd just up and leave now that she has a kid.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:12:47 AM by Metropolaris »

Online Grappler

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »
Well because it's Gimple, so I guarantee it won't be done well.

I have no problem with Rick's exit, and it was nice seeing Shane and Hershel(RIP) again. I don't understand why they chose Sasha of all people to come back though.
One thing that a lot of people didn't realize was that this is also Maggie's last episode.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/11/walking-dead-maggie-lauren-cohan-last-episode-905

I'm sure they'll address it next week, but it seems weird that that's how they chose to end her character. I guess she died sometime  in the ~6 year timeskip? I can't imagine she'd just up and leave now that she has a kid.

I guess Maggie's story is being left open-ended, depending on how Whisky Cavalier does. 

As for Sasha, a lot of it had to do with availability - they asked Steven Yeun to come back, but he wasn't available.  Sasha worked well because she sacrificed herself for the group, which is also what Rick was intending to do...he was searching for "his family" and at the end after seeing the group come to his rescue, he stated that he found them.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 08:38:39 AM »
I don't understand why they chose Sasha of all people to come back though.

Yeah....I was wondering about that as well. I had thought that maybe it'd be Lori....shoot, even Andrea? But Sasha....maybe she was the only former female actor that had a free spot in her schedule  :lol   Didn't know they asked Steven Yeun....that'd have been cool

That is odd that they didn't really 'do much' in the way of making it known it was her last episode. I've read a few articles where Lauren Cohen basically has said that there's a 'chance' she'd return.....but nothing has been discussed. I'm sure they'll find a way to explain it.....maybe mention that she has went off to live elsewhere....something along those lines.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 08:44:45 AM »
Well because it's Gimple, I guarantee it won't be done well.

The only hope is that he's just an overall architect and not at ground level. Cool concept(s)....but it's clear by the job that Kang has been doing this season that some 'fresh' perspective was needed when it came to the show.

I thought Gimple did a great job in guiding the series back on track when he came aboard initially on the heels of Mazerra leading the show astray....and Gimple has written some of the better episodes of the series. But as some point he lost that clear vision and the show has been suffering for it. This season has been a bit of fresh air so to speak. It's not early season knock you off your socks level.....but it's certainly at a higher level than the past few seasons.

I think this time jump and host of new characters will give the show a jolt.....and the Whisperer storyline is a cool one. And....I can't wait to see how JDM and 'Negan' handle this next phase of that character. I think he's gonna kill it.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 11:25:31 AM »
I see you guys like this episode, I really don't and check my record on all previous TWD threads, I easily win the "Least bitching about TWD" award but I'm so frustrated with the bad handling of everything since season 8. Now here there are a couple of things that I would change about this episode so I wouldn't find it pretty fuckin awful and I do find it pretty fuckin awful, things that pertain to logic, as usual with TWD:
1 - Rick Grimes, who we know very fuckin well, is dying. He hallucinates about important figures from his life, his friend who he's killed and a father figure and an important moral compass for him, okay I'm sold on that. But Sasha? When did we ever see Rick develop any kind of emotional connection with Sasha? Rick's dealing with Sasha consisted of either yelling at her or planning murders! You skipped on having a Glenn hallucination? I mean I understand you can't get Carl cause the actor is on bad terms with AMC but Sasha?! Not Lori, not Glenn, not forgot-his-name RV guy!
2 - It looks like it's just me but I found what happened at the bridge to be confusing as fuck. It looked like Rick had crossed the bridge to the other side so I didn't understand why he was in danger when the music started tensing up before he shot the dynamite, I still need to re-watch that scene cause I was pretty positive he made it across.
3 -  Last episode Daryl suggested to Rick that he leads the walkers to the bridge and blow it up and Rick said no, so up to the end I thought Rick was gonna let them cross the bridge and find a way to deal with them further down but it's now clear that once they got to the bridge; it was no longer an option! That wasn't clear to me at all and played into the confusion of the previous point.
4- Rick's survival, that was plain fuckin dumb, that's just AMC realizing they need to milk Rick some more. Rick has taken a life threatening beating or two but nothing as bad as this, bleeding for a long time then falling off a collapsing bridge into the river and getting swept away! At this point I don't think Rick would die if he got shot in the head. But it's not just that; the moment of explosion was amazing because of Lincoln's acting and Daryl/Michonne's reactions, it would have been the perfect closure, such a waste.
5 - I'm not buying what they've been doing with Negan, I was truly surprised when he didn't try pushing Maggie over when she opened his door but then I realized his breakdown was genuine! wtf! They haven't shown us when or how his character had changed that much!

If whatever they're doing for the next 3 episodes doesn't turn out to be mind-blowingly amazing and creative, and it won't, this will probably be the last season or the season before last IMO.

Online Grappler

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »
I see you guys like this episode, I really don't and check my record on all previous TWD threads, I easily win the "Least bitching about TWD" award but I'm so frustrated with the bad handling of everything since season 8. Now here there are a couple of things that I would change about this episode so I wouldn't find it pretty fuckin awful and I do find it pretty fuckin awful, things that pertain to logic, as usual with TWD:

1 - Rick Grimes, who we know very fuckin well, is dying. He hallucinates about important figures from his life, his friend who he's killed and a father figure and an important moral compass for him, okay I'm sold on that. But Sasha? When did we ever see Rick develop any kind of emotional connection with Sasha? Rick's dealing with Sasha consisted of either yelling at her or planning murders! You skipped on having a Glenn hallucination? I mean I understand you can't get Carl cause the actor is on bad terms with AMC but Sasha?! Not Lori, not Glenn, not forgot-his-name RV guy!

I think a lot of this had to do with scheduling.  They contacted Steven Yeun, but he couldn't do it.  Angela Kang (showrunner) wouldn't divulge who else was on the list, but someone else did mention Steven.  They were lucky to get Jon Bernthal to come back as Shane...he barely squeezed it in.  Ultimately, the message was that Rick started out looking for his family (Lori and Carl) but when the group came to rescue him, he realized that they were all his family and he was at peace.  So while having Lori or Glenn come back for a cameo would have been amazing, the character of Rick saw someone like Sasha as his family as well.

2 - It looks like it's just me but I found what happened at the bridge to be confusing as fuck. It looked like Rick had crossed the bridge to the other side so I didn't understand why he was in danger when the music started tensing up before he shot the dynamite, I still need to re-watch that scene cause I was pretty positive he made it across.

It was a little confusing.  In the prior episode, Daryl told him to lead the walkers to the bridge.  He refused.  But given his condition, I think he realized that it was his only option.  So he went out to the bridge, but it held, rather than crumble under the weight.  Rick said like "[oh crap,] it held."

3 -  Last episode Daryl suggested to Rick that he leads the walkers to the bridge and blow it up and Rick said no, so up to the end I thought Rick was gonna let them cross the bridge and find a way to deal with them further down but it's now clear that once they got to the bridge; it was no longer an option! That wasn't clear to me at all and played into the confusion of the previous point.

See above - it was his intent, but they built it strongly enough for it to hold, rather than crumble.

4- Rick's survival, that was plain fuckin dumb, that's just AMC realizing they need to milk Rick some more. Rick has taken a life threatening beating or two but nothing as bad as this, bleeding for a long time then falling off a collapsing bridge into the river and getting swept away! At this point I don't think Rick would die if he got shot in the head. But it's not just that; the moment of explosion was amazing because of Lincoln's acting and Daryl/Michonne's reactions, it would have been the perfect closure, such a waste.

I wanted him to be killed off and felt cheated when he was on the helicopter.  But when Gimple announced the movies, it all made sense.  It's a total win-win.  The characters believe Rick is dead, which is the same as killing him off.  The show has always been about watching these characters deal with the loss of others, and we should get to see some of that.  We won't get the immediate closure, but you can be sure that he will live on the same way other characters have in this show, especially with Judith being a main character. 

Fans get to continue to watch Rick in a Walking Dead universe movie series.  He doesn't have to spend 6 months away from his family and can still give us the character that we love. 

5 - I'm not buying what they've been doing with Negan, I was truly surprised when he didn't try pushing Maggie over when she opened his door but then I realized his breakdown was genuine! wtf! They haven't shown us when or how his character had changed that much!

I'm not that far into the comics, but I believe this is part of Negan's comic storyline.  They accelerated Maggie's confrontation with him due to Lauren Cohan leaving and having limited time.  There has also been 18 months in between last season and this season, so a lot happened in between that we just haven't seen.

If whatever they're doing for the next 3 episodes doesn't turn out to be mind-blowingly amazing and creative, and it won't, this will probably be the last season or the season before last IMO.

I'm expecting this show to end with Season 10, but given Gimple's announcement of an expanded universe, I don't think AMC has any intentions of saying goodbye to the franchise yet.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »

I think a lot of this had to do with scheduling.  They contacted Steven Yeun, but he couldn't do it.  Angela Kang (showrunner) wouldn't divulge who else was on the list, but someone else did mention Steven.  They were lucky to get Jon Bernthal to come back as Shane...he barely squeezed it in.  Ultimately, the message was that Rick started out looking for his family (Lori and Carl) but when the group came to rescue him, he realized that they were all his family and he was at peace.  So while having Lori or Glenn come back for a cameo would have been amazing, the character of Rick saw someone like Sasha as his family as well.

I was confused to say the least to see Sasha in his hallucinations....given that it appeared that really important people were 'showing up' in them. I pretty much figured that she was the only actor they could get on set to film in the time they had. They made the best of it...and that was that.

It was a little confusing.  In the prior episode, Daryl told him to lead the walkers to the bridge.  He refused.  But given his condition, I think he realized that it was his only option.  So he went out to the bridge, but it held, rather than crumble under the weight.  Rick said like "[oh crap,] it held."

I wasn't confused by it at all. They've made such a point to show just how much this bridge meant to Rick (because of Carl) that it added to the level of sacrifice Rick was willing to offer when he knew the only way to protect the communities from this MASSIVE herd of walkers was to get them to the bridge for it to collapse and for them to wash down the river.....thus, communities saved. I didn't think there was any confusion on that aspect?

I wanted him to be killed off and felt cheated when he was on the helicopter.  But when Gimple announced the movies, it all made sense.  It's a total win-win.  The characters believe Rick is dead, which is the same as killing him off.  The show has always been about watching these characters deal with the loss of others, and we should get to see some of that.  We won't get the immediate closure, but you can be sure that he will live on the same way other characters have in this show, especially with Judith being a main character. 

Fans get to continue to watch Rick in a Walking Dead universe movie series.  He doesn't have to spend 6 months away from his family and can still give us the character that we love. 

I've maintained to my brother and buddies who watch the show since the beginning that they were never going to kill off Rick. If you read/listen to all the comments from the AMC honchos from get go.....they never say 'killed'. It was always, last episode on TWD....or great send off for character....etc. etc. It always felt like they were setting it up for a future Rick Grimes re-entrance. And I'm fine with it.

The funny thing is that years ago prior to Fear the Walking Dead, I told my brother the way to spin the show off would have been to revolve it around Daryl.....and one way to do that would be for him to be swept away in a river.....have him 'come to' on the shores somewhere far down stream.

I'm looking forward to the AMC feature films....I think it has potential to be good.

I'm not that far into the comics, but I believe this is part of Negan's comic storyline.  They accelerated Maggie's confrontation with him due to Lauren Cohan leaving and having limited time.  There has also been 18 months in between last season and this season, so a lot happened in between that we just haven't seen.

Yeah, that scene with Maggie only recently happened in the comics....in a completely different setting. It was powerful in the comic and I think it came off powerful here as well. I'm not a fan of how the show handled portraying Negan compared to the source material.....but judging from the glimpse into the remainder of the season I think JDM has a chance to do some real good acting and kind of re-cast Negan in a way. I'm curious to see how it goes.

I'm expecting this show to end with Season 10, but given Gimple's announcement of an expanded universe, I don't think AMC has any intentions of saying goodbye to the franchise yet.

Yeah....I'm opposite of you Grappler. I'm not saying this season has been outright out of the park....but in the face of what it 'has' been recently.....it's trending in the right direction. It's had way more substance and is much more compelling than it has been of late. As I've mentioned, I think Kang has done a good job of cleaning up Gimple's mess and getting the ship back on course. The time jump is going to help that even more.....and, the screen time that is left in the wake of Rick 'dying' gives them much more freedom to develop other characters.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2018, 12:21:57 PM »
I appreciate y'all's thoughts here but for the most part it's based on real life logistics, like not getting Glenn cause the actor is busy, it's like back when Tara weighed 300 tons and people were saying it's okay cause the actress was pregnant. Knowing the real life circumstances doesn't help the suspension of belief at all for me. Any remote Sasha presence in Rick's thoughts is distractingly out of place IMO, but I won't dwell on it further.

This made me laugh way too much hehe
What part of America does Shane's accent come from?