Author Topic: The Walking Dead S9 v. Too late to stop  (Read 9172 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Walking Dead S9 v. Too late to stop
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2018, 12:30:03 PM »
Yeah....I'm opposite of you Grappler. I'm not saying this season has been outright out of the park....but in the face of what it 'has' been recently.....it's trending in the right direction. It's had way more substance and is much more compelling than it has been of late. As I've mentioned, I think Kang has done a good job of cleaning up Gimple's mess and getting the ship back on course. The time jump is going to help that even more.....and, the screen time that is left in the wake of Rick 'dying' gives them much more freedom to develop other characters.

I didn't think the bridge thing was confusing, but I do think others could see it that way - "wait, he didn't want to risk the bridge, but now he does?" 

I agree about this season.  It is feeling very fresh again after a few seasons of treading water.  Prior to this year, my expectation was that they'd do 10 seaons and they're done.  But now I don't think that will happen at all - AMC has big plans, but will they continue to hold if the ratings still continue to drop?  They were killing it with 12-13 million viewers a week during season 6, then it has slowly faded to half that over the last two seasons.  Still ggod numbers, but not as massive as they had been.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2018, 12:54:43 PM »
I didn't think the bridge thing was confusing, but I do think others could see it that way - "wait, he didn't want to risk the bridge, but now he does?" 

I'm going to re-watch that bridge scene again tonight....but if I recall I think it was Daryl who said to the group as they arrived something along the lines of "he's hurt bad.....he's trying to save the city..." or something like that. It was a pretty fast line and agreeably would have been hard for the others to understand what the F he was doing.

That being said....I think by the 6 year time jump it'll be 'legend' by that point that "Rick Grimes" saved them all from a massive hoard.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2018, 10:45:13 PM »
When they all arrived at the bridge Daryl said “That here would have rolled right through Hilltop......he’s trying to take out the bridge”, then a woman screamed “He’s hurt!”

So they knew he was hurt and trying to save them all.....he died a hero to them all.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2018, 10:51:25 PM »
Thought it was another solid episode. I have to say I’ve been satisfied with this season thus far.

Curious about the ‘X’ scar on Michonnes back and if it’s a coincidence that it’s the same spot Ricks injury was? How would she have known that or seen that from her vantage point?

I like the Negan/Judith exchange as it’s clear their using her character in lieu of Carl now.

I’ve always liked the actress they cast as Magna.....especially her character Luna for ‘The 100’

Carol! Still got it!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2018, 06:23:13 AM »
Thought it was another solid episode. I have to say I’ve been satisfied with this season thus far.

Curious about the ‘X’ scar on Michonnes back and if it’s a coincidence that it’s the same spot Ricks injury was? How would she have known that or seen that from her vantage point?

I like the Negan/Judith exchange as it’s clear their using her character in lieu of Carl now.

I’ve always liked the actress they cast as Magna.....especially her character Luna for ‘The 100’

Carol! Still got it!

Carl's plot is being split up a little - Carol was taking Henry (her/King's kid) to Hilltop to be an apprentice blacksmith, like when Carl went to live at the Hilltop during this time period. 

I thought it was great.  Plenty of mystery of the last six years to unravel.  Michonne's scar apparently has to do with someone that they let in to Alexandria at one point.  Carol taking care of the asshole Saviors was awesome.  Rich and Michonne have a kid (RJ!) and of course the Whisperers.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2018, 06:47:03 AM »
With Lauren Cohen’s very quiet exit from the show being the Rick vanishing episode as well....I’m assuming when Michonne was speaking about the Hilltop and seeing if the new group could stay there and said “let’s see what she has to say”......the ‘she’ is going to be Tara. Didn’t see her at Alexandria and that’s the only other logical ‘core’ character that it could be.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2018, 06:59:13 AM »
They got rid of Rick and Maggie in the same episode? I heard everyone talking about Rick no longer being on the show, but this is the first I'm hearing of Maggie being gone as well.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2018, 07:01:45 AM »
They got rid of Rick and Maggie in the same episode? I heard everyone talking about Rick no longer being on the show, but this is the first I'm hearing of Maggie being gone as well.

Yep. But the thing is....there was no ‘goodbye’. In the time jump she’s just gonna be gone. Lauren Cohen and AMC couldn’t come to a contract agreement so she shot a new pilot called ‘Whiskey Cavalir’ That’s gonna air soon. The door is open for M’Aggie to return supposedly.....but her character is gone for the foreseeable future. Just a quiet exit. Kind of strange.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2018, 07:03:29 AM »
Damn, that kind of sucks. With the time jump, did they just add a bunch of new characters to the mix?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2018, 07:17:53 AM »
There's 5 new characters, they seem interesting but the actors are meh.
The chest tattoo girl has the same facial qualities that annoys me about Tara's face, can't put my hand on what it is exaactly heh
They have a real deaf person playing a deaf character, that's pretty cool.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2018, 08:56:49 AM »
There's 5 new characters, they seem interesting but the actors are meh.

I disagree. I liked them. Especially Magna and the Music Teacher. I've always found those two actors redeemable.

The chest tattoo girl has the same facial qualities that annoys me about Tara's face, can't put my hand on what it is exaactly heh

Really? I think she's pretty attractive actually.....that 'look' she has does the opposite to me than you.

They have a real deaf person playing a deaf character, that's pretty cool.

It is. Although....it doesn't make for a good guest on 'the talking dead'  she was on there last night and that was brutal to try and get through. Fast Forwarded near all the episode.

Damn, that kind of sucks. With the time jump, did they just add a bunch of new characters to the mix?

they did but in the comic this group of characters is pretty neat. Just a group of 5-6 people who have been together for a while like the Rick and Co. gang. I thought their introduction to the show was handled nicely.

And I thought the time jump was a good idea as well rather than deal with 'the day after' Rick dying and dragging that out they've thrown some distance between that initial phase and now there is a bit of mystery with Michonne's scar.....Maggie not being there (although that's yet to be seen on screen....but known via the internet) the way Alexandria handles outsiders etc etc. I think Kang is doing a good job at resetting this whole series and I have a bit of hope that she'll handle the Whisperer arc better than Gimple did the 'All out War' arc.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2018, 07:16:08 PM »
I was one of the biggest TWD fans for the first 7.1 seasons. Then, season 7 just dragged on because they wanted to milk N egan and stick to the comic arc (which was dumb). There is NO WAY that Rick or Carl for that matter wouldn't have murdered N egan! Then, Gimple completely f*%#ed up by killing Carl! So many viewers bolted after that stupid decision. I've stayed ONLY because I'm a completely and have to finish it out. Once I heard Rick was leaving, the killing off of Carl was made 10 times dumber! Anyway the whispered story is upon us and hopefully it will be good, because that,s it for the show because the comics SUCK after that story.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2018, 08:48:37 AM »
I've been pleasantly surprised with this season thus far. It's been infinitely better than the previous two. Although, the last episode 'felt' like a typical Gimple episode where they spent the whole hour telling a story that could have been told in twenty minutes.

That's the issue with a (16) episode season though when it comes to AMC and this show. They just milk it for all its worth.....and at this point the writers seem to craft the season around having those 3 or 4 'filler' episodes......which is what I consider the last episode as being. Still some meat on the bone for the story but it was drug out a bit.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »
I agree that the last episode felt like filler, IMO the rest of the season has been really good and last episode felt slow, although there were some meat on it.

I'm really looking forward to next episode and the whisperers.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2018, 11:08:13 AM »
What I've noticed in the brief few shots of the hoards of walkers that the whisperers have been hiding in....is they (producers) have done a good job at showing the difference in the walking patterns. There were a couple instances where if you were looking (and I was specifically) that you could see the difference. That's pretty neat.

I like the new characters and the 'mystery' of the scars on Michonne and Daryl. I just hope they don't drag letting us in on that secret too long....that'll get annoying. I don't need a whole episode to explain it.....maybe a conversation between Michonne and Magna or something like that where she explains what happened...that's good enough for me.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
Thought this mid season finale was another solid episode. I like the couple deviations they've made from the Comic.....it really brings in to question of 'who' the 'big' deaths are going to be now concerning this war with the Whisperer's. They were shocking when it happened in the comic but now it really could be any of them being that they're mixing some things up.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »
Thought this mid season finale was another solid episode. I like the couple deviations they've made from the Comic.....it really brings in to question of 'who' the 'big' deaths are going to be now concerning this war with the Whisperer's. They were shocking when it happened in the comic but now it really could be any of them being that they're mixing some things up.

I loved the introduction of the Whisperers. This is definitely the best this show has been in years. I'm actually excited for the second half of a season for once.

This season will definitely end with a certain moment from issue 144(Coincidentally, 9x16=144)
My guesses as to who dies: Tammy, Ezekiel, one of the kids from the Hilltop, Alden, Rosita, probably a couple redshirts, Tara, and the guy from Magna's group. Wildcard: RJ, Michonne's son.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2018, 10:28:25 AM »

I loved the introduction of the Whisperers. This is definitely the best this show has been in years. I'm actually excited for the second half of a season for once.

This season will definitely end with a certain moment from issue 144(Coincidentally, 9x16=144)
My guesses as to who dies: Tammy, Ezekiel, one of the kids from the Hilltop, Alden, Rosita, probably a couple redshirts, Tara, and the guy from Magna's group. Wildcard: RJ, Michonne's son.

Yeah, they're definitely talking up "the fair" and highlighting the romantic pairings - that was part of those deaths in that each person was a romantic partner to another character, and a few of them were big characters.

I loved the episode - very tense and a true horror setting with all of the fog and our characters not knowing what was going on around them. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2018, 10:50:41 AM »

Yeah...no kidding. It's been a while since I actually was bummed I have to wait on the return in February  :lol

With the way that Kang has approached the season with regards of breaking from the comic.....I think there is a variety of ways she could go as far as closing out the season. I could see them swapping out Ezekiel for Michonee for the 'big' death head on a spike.....I think they'll  stick with killing Rosita, and could see them offing Tammy and Alden like you said...along with a couple scrubs. I'm wondering if they're moving Tara into comic book Maggie's role now? She may be safe.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2018, 06:53:25 AM »
Having never read the comics; did the main character death that happened this last episode also happen in the comics?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2018, 07:21:42 AM »
Having never read the comics; did the main character death that happened this last episode also happen in the comics?

Nope, Jesus is still alive and well in the comics. Jesus is one of the first to meet the Whisperers but a redshirt named Doug dies instead during their first encounter.

According to this interview, Tom Payne(Jesus) has wanted out for a while. Can't say I blame him. As cool as his character is in the comics, he's done literally nothing since showing up back in S6.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-tom-payne-exits-jesus-fate-explained-1163273

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2018, 08:28:26 AM »
Completely understandable and he has a point. Just another character in a long line of characters from the comics that they somehow botched when translating to the show. Tyrese, the Governor, Andrea, Abraham (to an extent) even Negan.....much stronger characters in the comic. I mean, Carol in the show is essentially Andrea from the comics.....but this show certainly has a history of missing the mark when portraying these characters on screen.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2019, 08:20:04 AM »
Anyone else still watching this? I've been watching and I can say while it's clear the show isn't quite what it used to be....I've enjoyed this season 9 much more than season 8. I really like the 'tone' of the season and like Kang's approach to telling the story.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »
Still watching and rather enjoying the show again - I think this is the best run since they reached Alexandra.  The show seems to have regained it's mojo - characters acting like real people (more or less) dialog that is more than just exposition, moral raising speeches and grunts!  And the action is much better shot and their is actually some tension again.

Also Negan a cartoon character I hated during the past few seasons, i'm now warming too...

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2019, 08:46:48 AM »
Still watching and rather enjoying the show again - I think this is the best run since they reached Alexandra.  The show seems to have regained it's mojo - characters acting like real people (more or less) dialog that is more than just exposition, moral raising speeches and grunts!  And the action is much better shot and their is actually some tension again.

Also Negan a cartoon character I hated during the past few seasons, i'm now warming too...

All good points. I'm cautiously optimistic about how Kang is handling Negan's 'transformation' at the moment. So far....I've really enjoyed it. Was so let down by the way Gimple and Co. trashed the 'All Out War' arc of the comic. Seems that Kang is doing a great job of taking control and reshaping the show....and I've enjoyed this Whisperer arc up to this point.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
I am slightly concerned by the Whisperers, their concept does seem a bit stupid/far fetched, but so far it's been good (certainly much better than the junkyard elves).  It is a shame the show did lose it's way at a point where it really should have been epic - if I ever did a rewatch of this show down the line I'd probably skip the last 2 or 3 seasons to be honest.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2019, 09:34:11 AM »
I am slightly concerned by the Whisperers, their concept does seem a bit stupid/far fetched, but so far it's been good (certainly much better than the junkyard elves). 

I buy the Whisperer attempt at survival. I mean, it's silly and gross but if you don't have the means to protect yourself that well....blending in and hiding in plain sight would work. at least for a bit. I'm not sure about just settling for that 'lifestyle' though. I'd want to work towards a more clean and 'civil' living.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »
I'm still enjoying this season.  Aside from the one episode that was centered solely on Lydia's interrogation, this last half is escalating very quickly compared to prior seasons (i.e., taking 8 episodes for Rick to finally decide to stand up to The Saviors). 

I love The Whisperers  They're one of the most formidable and savage groups that the main characters have faced.  Bringing the show back to a horror feel helps to set that tone that these people are very, very scary to deal with. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2019, 10:27:03 AM »
this last half is escalating very quickly compared to prior seasons

Angela Kang gave an interview where she (once again) took a veiled swipe at Gimple when she said that although she's pleased and happy to know she has another season (season 10) to tell more story that she does not want to 'save' anything or draw anything out....that she wants to get it all onto the table and keep the story going.

The difference in her approach is refreshing. I fear Gimple turned to 'executive' for the show and was taking advantage of a fairly loyal fan base by just dragging the storylines on and on. That's one of the ways he screwed up the 'All Out War' arc......just made it so freaking annoying by drawing it out and having characters say and do things they'd never 'really' do.

Kang is a breath of fresh air for the show.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2019, 12:23:35 PM »
Yeah but unfortunately Gimple the best storyline in TWD fell under Gimple's dipshit hands and he royally fucked it up. Kang is doing a great job though, given that she took after the show after the best storylines were behind her and losing Rick, I'm impressed.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2019, 01:03:10 PM »
Yeah but unfortunately Gimple the best storyline in TWD fell under Gimple's dipshit hands and he royally fucked it up. Kang is doing a great job though, given that she took after the show after the best storylines were behind her and losing Rick, I'm impressed.

Rick AND Carl....of whom....this whole Whisperer story line they both had pretty huge roles in. I too thing she's done excellent thus far.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2019, 04:55:44 AM »
I've never read the comics, are they still ongoing?  And how close is TV to catching up the to comic story?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2019, 05:49:09 AM »
I've never read the comics, are they still ongoing?  And how close is TV to catching up the to comic story?

Yep. I really dig it.

If I had to guess.....at the pace Kang appears to have set....maybe three more full seasons. I’m thinking this season ends with something pretty big in the comic and if that happens then I’d say there’s all of next season for the remainder of the Whisperer arc.....which has some cool stuff in it. Then, two more seasons to get through where their at today in the comic story.

Offline Jay T

• Old Fart
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
I really enjoy the hell out of this show. It got a little slow for a few seasons there, but it seems to have improved. What are your predictions for Negan? Do you think he's going to end up being a "good guy" and redeem himself? I've been wondering if he'll slowly start earning everyone's trust by doing something heroic, etc.
I don't know what to write for my signature, so this will have to suffice for now.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2019, 06:24:43 PM »
Negan bangs Michone and knocks her up. Then Rick comes back like...

Not again...