Author Topic: Slash: I went and saw a show at the Paramount in Long Island...  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Slash: I went and saw a show at the Paramount in Long Island...
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2018, 02:33:31 PM »
The one thing I really wanted above all else, in terms of music, was either an extensive Alter Bridge and Soundgarden tour or a Chris Cornell and Myles Kennedy acoustic tour.  Sadly, neither of those will happen.........

Mikey, you think Ian Thornley would be best to replace Chris Cornell?  Intriguing, I mean he's got the voice for it for certain.  I just think he's too much of a guitar player and really indulge himself on the guitar too much (I've seen Big Wreck this year, that man was a wizard) for it (granted, Chris Cornell was no slouch in that department).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:49:33 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
Mikey, you think Ian Thornley would be best to replace Chris Cornell?  Intriguing, I mean he's got the voice for it for certain.  I just think he's too much of a guitar player and really indulge himself on the guitar too much (I've seen Big Wreck this year, that man was a wizard) for it (granted, Chris Cornell was no slouch in that department).

I think in terms of his pure voice - yes. Ian would sound really good singing Chris' material, very similar but still doing his own thing.

Would Ian actually agree to doing it? No clue, he might not because, like you said, he is very into doing his own thing and it's pretty guitar heavy. I mean the rumor is that Ian turned down a Velvet Revolver audition back in the day because he wouldn't be able to play guitar in that band. So I'm not saying Ian would be interested, I'm just saying I think his voice would be a great fit for the gig.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2018, 03:00:27 PM »
Yeah Bosk definitely check out ODR, AB's first record - based on what you're describing I think you'd enjoy Myles on that record a lot. His voice was thicker for lack of a better term on that album. Through the years of getting older and touring heavily, he sounds thinner now partly to preserve his voice. He doesn't sing with as much body and grit as he used to.

On a slightly related note to Myles, and not so related to Slash...I think his run with Slash is coming to an end. I've been reading how the Soundgarden guys want to continue with music. Sure as hell they are going to ask Myles. Just a gut feeling. Because Myles has a big chunk of Cornell in his voice. Not sure if Myles would do it, but they would be dumb not to ask.

Interesting. I think their best bet to replace Chris would be Ian Thornley. Myles could pull it off, but I don't know if he'd want to or not. He's caught enough grief from GnR fans over the years that he doesn't sing the songs like Axl or as well as Axl. I'm not sure he'd jump at the chance to have to fill another iconic singers shoes, again.

No offense, but I'm not betting any money on Myles in Soundgarden.   If you notice, Myles is a busy guy - AB, Slash, his own gig - and in those gigs he doesn't shy away from other material - in my three shows seeing him he sang Plant, Dickinson, (Robert) Johnson, Rose, Weiland, Stockdale, and (Ian) Astbury.    BUT... he turned down Velvet Revolver (replacing Weiland), he turned down Zeppelin, there were rumors about him in Aerosmith (didn't pan out)... I think the Slash thing works for him really well; he does AB when Slash does G'n'R', and they get together to do things like what I saw (it was a 1,500 seat club).   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »
The one thing I really wanted above all else, in terms of music, was either an extensive Alter Bridge and Soungarden tour or a Chris Cornell and Myles Kennedy acoustic tour.  Sadly, neither of those will happen.........

Not to contradict myself, but that's the one thing I can see Myles WANTING to do.  Myles is an excellent guitar player as well, and he literally played about 90 seconds of guitar in the show I saw.   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2018, 03:03:03 PM »
Yeah Bosk definitely check out ODR, AB's first record - based on what you're describing I think you'd enjoy Myles on that record a lot. His voice was thicker for lack of a better term on that album. Through the years of getting older and touring heavily, he sounds thinner now partly to preserve his voice. He doesn't sing with as much body and grit as he used to.

On a slightly related note to Myles, and not so related to Slash...I think his run with Slash is coming to an end. I've been reading how the Soundgarden guys want to continue with music. Sure as hell they are going to ask Myles. Just a gut feeling. Because Myles has a big chunk of Cornell in his voice. Not sure if Myles would do it, but they would be dumb not to ask.

Interesting. I think their best bet to replace Chris would be Ian Thornley. Myles could pull it off, but I don't know if he'd want to or not. He's caught enough grief from GnR fans over the years that he doesn't sing the songs like Axl or as well as Axl. I'm not sure he'd jump at the chance to have to fill another iconic singers shoes, again.

No offense, but I'm not betting any money on Myles in Soundgarden.   If you notice, Myles is a busy guy - AB, Slash, his own gig - and in those gigs he doesn't shy away from other material - in my three shows seeing him he sang Plant, Dickinson, (Robert) Johnson, Rose, Weiland, Stockdale, and (Ian) Astbury.    BUT... he turned down Velvet Revolver (replacing Weiland), he turned down Zeppelin, there were rumors about him in Aerosmith (didn't pan out)... I think the Slash thing works for him really well; he does AB when Slash does G'n'R', and they get together to do things like what I saw (it was a 1,500 seat club).   

God damn, after reading that (some of which I was not aware), how the hell does this guy not have an ego rivaling that of Gene Simmons? How does one get that many opportunities and still be a kind humble dude? Impressive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2018, 03:04:50 PM »
Oh yea, I agree, I don't see Myles doing the Soundgarden thing either.

One point of clarification though, Myles definitely did not turn down anything related to Led Zeppelin. He got together and jammed with Page, JPJ, and Jason Bonham - they played some Zepp stuff and jammed on some new material. Myles has stated in the past that if they were to play together it wouldn't have been as Zepp, but something different. Either way, nothing ever came of it simply because everyone went off to do other things. Myles certainly didn't turn down any offers from those guys, it just never came together into anything tangible.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »
God damn, after reading that (some of which I was not aware), how the hell does this guy not have an ego rivaling that of Gene Simmons? How does one get that many opportunities and still be a kind humble dude? Impressive.

Yeah one of the best things about Myles is how cool, humble, and down to earth he is even with all that.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2018, 03:07:25 PM »
I totally forgot about Ian Thornley. Agreed completely.

And for the record, I am not suggesting that SOUNDGARDEN will continue. More than Myles could/should be on the short list of singers who the SG guys consider if they want to continue working together. If they do, I assume it will be a new band. You can't really replace Chris Cornell.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2018, 06:16:17 AM »
Slash is a really nice guy. My wife, 2 sons (very young at the time), and I met him in the green room at a book signing in Toronto. It was just us, Slash and his handler. This was for his first book. He was especially nice to the kids and I didn't say much because of being so star struck. Thinking, WTF am I doing here... with SLASH.
The most Rock 'n Roll moment was that Slash was smoking a cigarette in the green room. (It's illegal to smoke inside a workplace in Canada.) Fu*k the system lol. \m/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2018, 08:12:33 PM »
Wow, that's cool, man. I liked his book.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2018, 08:30:16 PM »
'Slash' was one of the best books I read in high school. I've read it four times.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2018, 08:47:17 PM »
I read Slash's bio and while it was good, I found Duff McKagan's first bio to be my favorite of the GNR bios.  That guy really motivated me to get back to school.  I mean if the former "King of Beers" and bassist for the "most dangerous band in the world" was able to go college and get a degree, I have no excuse at all in the position I'm in. 

I mean this is the guy that almost literally drink himself to death (suffered Pancreatitis in 1994), decided to get himself clean (mainly for his mother), and was not content on just the success he had with GNR and decided to invest in stocks with Microsoft, Amazon, and Starbucks back in 1995, and then decided to go back to higher education and manage to get a degree in finance in Seattle, and is able to have a loving family of his own for 20+ years.  To me, that speaks huge volume of what Duff McKagan is as a person than anything he ever done music-wise (which is still big and important, don't get me wrong).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:54:22 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2018, 08:54:04 PM »
I read Slash's bio and while it was good, I found Duff McKagan's first bio to be my favorite of the GNR bios. 

Duff's first book is literally THE BEST rock star autobio that I have EVER read. And I've read a bunch. It's an amazing story.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2018, 06:33:46 AM »
It's amazing these guys made it out alive.