Author Topic: Slash: I went and saw a show at the Paramount in Long Island...  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Slash: I went and saw a show at the Paramount in Long Island...
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:05:59 PM »
So I was supposed to go see Slash tomorrow at Mohegan, but it's a free cabaret show, so I would have to stand there for about 8 hours to be certain I could get in.  He's playing the Paramount in Long Island Tuesday, the old Electric Factory in Philly on Wednesday, and the House of Blues in Boston on Thursday and I'm truing to decide on what show to see.

Tuesday is 2 and a half hour drive, and $53 (1,500 GA)
Wednesday is a 4 hour drive and $63 (2,500 people, GA)
Thursday is a 2 hour drive and $65 (2,500 people, GA and seats)

Leaning to Long Island.   The Boston show is closer, but traffic will be worse, and Myles on the third of three nights... I'm thinking go early.   

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:00:39 PM by Stadler »

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: Slash: Anyone see a show at the Paramount in Long Island?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »
Good venue, saw DT there a few years ago (a bunch of us pre-gamed at ZeppelinDT's place, then walked the five minutes to the venue)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Slash: Anyone see a show at the Paramount in Long Island?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 09:31:31 PM »
Think he'll let me use his living room to pregame for Slash?  Haha. 

I think that's my choice, by the way.   Part of it is that I checked the setlist and I'm REALLY jonesing for that show.  Other than "Not For Me" and "Beautiful Dangerous" it's basically my top 20 Slash songs all in one set.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Slash: I went and saw a show at the Paramount in Long Island...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »
So I went.   Wow.

First off, the place is BEAUTIFUL.  Looks new, nice bars, clean, well-run, it was a treat to go there.
Second, the opening act - Joyous Wolf - was the latest in the mold of quasi-Zeppelin power-trio with a singer combos that sound great.  Nothing that the Rival Sons aren't doing better, but still.  The singer is a freak.  Good not great.
Third, Slash. 

Wholly crap, this guy is the real deal.  He is clearly one of the best.   I was close - see the photos - and because his wah petal was literally right in front of me, every time he needed that he was right there.  About half the songs had extended solo sections, and i have to say, he is really a unique player.  The opening act played six songs, and so six solos, but every one sounded exactly the same and was basically a set of scales; by contrast, almost every one of Slash's solos had something unique.  A technique, a rhythm, a melody, something.    I was really, really impressed.

Myles was Myles; he is such a good singer, but while this is a collaboration - "Slash with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators" - he's a singer.  Other than literally a minute and a half of unnecessary rhythm (the band has a rhythm player, Frank Sidoris) during the last song of the encore (I honestly thought it was so he could throw a pick into the audience) he didn't even put on a guitar the entire show. But what a singer; he sang his stuff, he hit every note on the Ian Astbury song ("Ghost"), he hit every note on the Andrew Stockdale song ("By The Sword", the highlight of the show), he hit every note on the Scott Weiland song ("Fall To Pieces"), he hit every note and then some on the Axl song ("Rocket Queen", and he sang the ending note-perfect)... really versatile. 

At the end he was leaning over signing something for the girl in front of me and I said "Thank you!" and he gave me a thumbs up and said "No, thank you for coming!"; I melted like a school-girl.  ;) 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:03:27 PM by Stadler »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 12:34:05 PM »
 :tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 12:57:59 PM »
Good stuff!  :tup

I really like Slash's stuff with Myles, their latest record is growing on me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »
Slash is incredible, man. Incredible.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 02:25:24 PM »
Slash is incredible, man. Incredible.

This is the third time I've seen him - once with Guns ('91) and once with Myles (2014 World on Fire tour).   This was by far the best, and he just delivered for two hours.  There were at least three times during the set where Myles was either going to come in on cue or say something between songs and he just kept playing and noodling in between, and at one point I thought "I just want a CD of the NOODLING!" It was the kind of thing that is as annoying as fuck at Guitar Center when some jag off doesn't know what he's doing, but it was so musical.  On one of them, Myles just closed his eyes and started grooving and Brent Fitz (the drummer) just fell into a beat. 

Honestly, reminded me a lot of Jimmy Page and Zeppelin.   

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
Glad you had fun. Myles rocks, and Slash...he's a really unique player for sure. IMO, he plays much better now than he ever did during his initial stint with GnR.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
He's not all fucked up on drugs now and has 30 years of pro experience under his belt, so I'm not surprised.

Although when he was fucked up he made some timeless rock n' roll, so...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 06:02:05 PM »

You've clearly not heard his last 3 albums he's done with Myles. All 3 are great albums that scratched my GNR itch far better than Chinese Democracy did.

PS: I love Chinese Democracy.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 06:40:38 PM »

You've clearly not heard his last 3 albums he's done with Myles. All 3 are great albums that scratched my GNR itch far better than Chinese Democracy did.

I've heard 2 of them, I don't think they're bad but they're not my thing. I like the first one with the various guest singers way more than a full album of Myles' voice, as good as he is. The songwriting is stronger on that first one too imo. But they're all better than Slash's solo stuff from the 90s, and at least Velvet Revolver's second album, although Contraband is still a killer album.

But timeless? Nah. Slash is definitely playing better these days but nothing he does will match the magic those guys all had together, it was raging lightning barely contained in a bottle for those few short years, some of those songs imo are simply unable to be matched, but it's not a knock on his new stuff. That's once in a lifetime material he managed to create back then.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 07:28:01 AM »

I've heard 2 of them, I don't think they're bad but they're not my thing. I like the first one with the various guest singers way more than a full album of Myles' voice, as good as he is. The songwriting is stronger on that first one too imo. But they're all better than Slash's solo stuff from the 90s, and at least Velvet Revolver's second album, although Contraband is still a killer album.

But timeless? Nah. Slash is definitely playing better these days but nothing he does will match the magic those guys all had together, it was raging lightning barely contained in a bottle for those few short years, some of those songs imo are simply unable to be matched, but it's not a knock on his new stuff. That's once in a lifetime material he managed to create back then.

I disagree about the stuff with Myles, I love the collaboration  - but to the bolded - YES. I recently revisited the first VR record and I had forgotten how killer that record is top to bottom.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 08:14:39 AM »

Wow, this  is spot on.   As much as I've been gushing over Slash - and I mean it, don't get me wrong - my friend said he's "better than Jimmy Page now" (and for us, Jimmy is one of the standards by which others are measured, so that's a high compliment).   But I've been reluctant to agree with that, because while the fucker can flat out PLAY - I haven't geeked out watching a guitar player like that in a long time - he doesn't have a Kashmir, or a Stairway To Heaven, does he?   Maybe Rocket Queen or Sweet Child, but his latest are just good hard rockin' songs that provide a platform for some tasty licks.  I don't know that there is anything EPIC in there. 

Plus, I've written before about the atmosphere and the vibe from those '91 Guns shows.  It was ELECTRIC, and while it might not have been the best concert I've ever been to, it was the most... dangerous in that sense. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 08:31:13 AM »

Wow, this  is spot on.   As much as I've been gushing over Slash - and I mean it, don't get me wrong - my friend said he's "better than Jimmy Page now" (and for us, Jimmy is one of the standards by which others are measured, so that's a high compliment).   But I've been reluctant to agree with that, because while the fucker can flat out PLAY - I haven't geeked out watching a guitar player like that in a long time - he doesn't have a Kashmir, or a Stairway To Heaven, does he?   Maybe Rocket Queen or Sweet Child, but his latest are just good hard rockin' songs that provide a platform for some tasty licks.  I don't know that there is anything EPIC in there. 

Plus, I've written before about the atmosphere and the vibe from those '91 Guns shows.  It was ELECTRIC, and while it might not have been the best concert I've ever been to, it was the most... dangerous in that sense.

Couple things - no doubt that the original era of GnR was magical, and isn't going to be recreated. I think that the reason you aren't seeing the huge epic type songs from Slash's solo stuff is because I think Axl was the one bringing that vibe to the table back in the day. Slash has always struck me as wanting to basically play two guitar, straight up American rock, think Aerosmith in the 70s. If you listen to Living the Dream and World on Fire that's what he is chasing. The most "epic" song on those records is probably The Unholy, which is the song Myles contributed most to in terms of arrangement (no surprise, if you listen to AB you know Myles likes epic stuff). I think the combo of Slash's rock sensibilities and riff writing, coupled with Axl's love for piano, string, etc... epic sounds is what resulted in epic GnR songs.

Personally, taking Slash's new stuff for what he wants it to be (I'm assuming) - straight ahead, no nonsense rock, it's pretty good material. It's got that classic vibe with a modern flair and production.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 08:38:47 AM »
Slash never had a John Paul Jones.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 08:42:09 AM »

<Stadler runs to the Urban Dictionary to see what a John Paul Jones is....>

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 08:46:06 AM »
I will say Back From Cali is one of my favorite rock songs and Myles just kills it on that one. What a hook!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 08:52:19 AM »
I will say Back From Cali is one of my favorite rock songs and Myles just kills it on that one. What a hook!

They played the intro right in front of me and it felt like being at the coolest campfire you've ever been to, then when the song proper kickced in - with that scat vocal and the crashing chord, it was just MASSIVE.  One of the highlights of the show (and there were many).

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 08:52:34 AM »

<Stadler runs to the Urban Dictionary to see what a John Paul Jones is....>

Either you're kidding or you're pulling the greatest TAC ever.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 08:54:25 AM »

They played the intro right in front of me and it felt like being at the coolest campfire you've ever been to, then when the song proper kickced in - with that scat vocal and the crashing chord, it was just MASSIVE.  One of the highlights of the show (and there were many).

Very good song. No question.

I think some GnR original die-hards might tell you Izzy was Slash's JPJ. I don't agree with that, but I think some would.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 09:14:26 AM »

Very good song. No question.

I think some GnR original die-hards might tell you Izzy was Slash's JPJ. I don't agree with that, but I think some would.

I met a girl at the show - to give you an idea, she mentioned Vince Neil, so I showed her a picture of him now (fat) and she said "her dad got to see all cool metal bands back in the '80's"; I was like "wow, this just turned creepy because so did I" - and she said that while Slash is her favorite (duh) she wouldn't pay for Guns unless Izzy was there.   

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 09:55:08 AM »
I saw that video of Vince with The Circle. Man he looks like a whale.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »
I met a girl at the show - to give you an idea, she mentioned Vince Neil, so I showed her a picture of him now (fat) and she said "her dad got to see all cool metal bands back in the '80's"; I was like "wow, this just turned creepy because so did I" - and she said that while Slash is her favorite (duh) she wouldn't pay for Guns unless Izzy was there.   

Yup, that's what I'm talking about.

And... ouch. Vince looking real, real rough.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »

I disagree about the stuff with Myles, I love the collaboration  - but to the bolded - YES. I recently revisited the first VR record and I had forgotten how killer that record is top to bottom.

That first VR album is absolutely stellar. TBH, in what Slash has been involved in, that's #2 all time Slash for me, with Appetite being #1.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 10:05:04 AM »

That first VR album is absolutely stellar. TBH, in what Slash has been involved in, that's #2 all time Slash for me, with Appetite being #1.

Yeah there are so many killer songs on there that I had honestly forgotten about until I went back to it recently. Sucker Train Blues, Big Machine, Fall to Pieces, You Got No Right, Slither, Dirty Little Thing, Loving the Alien, etc... all really good songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »
Just FYI, Myles sang the crap out of "Fall To Pieces".  It was one of his three best moments in the show. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »
Myles is the reason I just can't get into Slash's present material or Alter Bridge.  I can listen and recognize that he is talented and that the songs are well-written and well-performed.  But the timbre of his voice and his phrasing just do not work for me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »
Myles is the reason I just can't get into Slash's present material or Alter Bridge.  I can listen and recognize that he is talented and that the songs are well-written and well-performed.  But the timbre of his voice and his phrasing just do not work for me.

I'm with you on this. I have one Slash live album and a number of the Alterbridge albums. The Alterbridge guitars and Myles voice are just above my low threshold. But the\y live there so it means small sample listens at one time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Art

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 01:13:37 PM »
I liked the guy that sang on the second Snakepit album better than Myles.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 01:45:18 PM »
I totally get why some people can't get into Myles. But what's weird is hearing guys like bosk, who are totally into the shrillness of a guy like Michael Sweet and James LaBrie, who can't get into Myles because of his timbre. I know its a personal thing, but still.  :lol

On a slightly related note to Myles, and not so related to Slash...I think his run with Slash is coming to an end. I've been reading how the Soundgarden guys want to continue with music. Sure as hell they are going to ask Myles. Just a gut feeling. Because Myles has a big chunk of Cornell in his voice. Not sure if Myles would do it, but they would be dumb not to ask.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 01:53:05 PM »
I totally get why some people can't get into Myles. But what's weird is hearing guys like bosk, who are totally into the shrillness of a guy like Michael Sweet and James LaBrie, who can't get into Myles because of his timbre. I know its a personal thing, but still.  :lol

On a slightly related note to Myles, and not so related to Slash...I think his run with Slash is coming to an end. I've been reading how the Soundgarden guys want to continue with music. Sure as hell they are going to ask Myles. Just a gut feeling. Because Myles has a big chunk of Cornell in his voice. Not sure if Myles would do it, but they would be dumb not to ask.

Well, two things:

I wouldn't call Michael or James "shrill."  Yes, thing sing high.  But high and shrill and not necessarily the same thing.  King Diamond is shrill.  Michael and James, IMO, are not (for the most part anyway--you can definitely point to some specific examples). 

That said, that isn't the issue with Myles.  It's that voice he does that is similar to Axl's where, typically on lower parts, he overly mouths the parts and has all of his air in his neck and mouth without any diaphragm support.  And it's not that I have any problem with that technique in and of itself (which I assume there is a name for, but I don't know it).  I just don't like how it sounds when he and Axl do it, and he does it frequently.  He's a killer singer, and I give him all the credit he deserves.  It's just that, for me, that doesn't translate into something I enjoy listening to.  Just a matter of taste.

And I'll also say that, at least studio-wise, Myles does that less on Blackbird than other things I have heard, which is why I actually do like that album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »

Well, two things:

I wouldn't call Michael or James "shrill."  Yes, thing sing high.  But high and shrill and not necessarily the same thing.  King Diamond is shrill.  Michael and James, IMO, are not (for the most part anyway--you can definitely point to some specific examples). 

That said, that isn't the issue with Myles.  It's that voice he does that is similar to Axl's where, typically on lower parts, he overly mouths the parts and has all of his air in his neck and mouth without any diaphragm support.  And it's not that I have any problem with that technique in and of itself (which I assume there is a name for, but I don't know it).  I just don't like how it sounds when he and Axl do it, and he does it frequently.  He's a killer singer, and I give him all the credit he deserves.  It's just that, for me, that doesn't translate into something I enjoy listening to.  Just a matter of taste.

And I'll also say that, at least studio-wise, Myles does that less on Blackbird than other things I have heard, which is why I actually do like that album.

Have you listened to the very first Alter Bridge record, One Day Remains? Given your description, that's probably more up your alley, if you're up for checking it out.

p.s. I WOULD call Michael and James shrill. The timbre of both their voices is shrill to my ears. I still like them both a great deal, but that descriptor fits them to my ears.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »
Have you listened to the very first Alter Bridge record, One Day Remains? Given your description, that's probably more up your alley, if you're up for checking it out.

No, I actually haven't.  But I'm open to it.  On your recommendation, I'll check it out at some point.

p.s. I WOULD call Michael and James shrill. The timbre of both their voices is shrill to my ears. I still like them both a great deal, but that descriptor fits them to my ears.

Okay, fair enough.  I wouldn't use that description, personally.  But that's fine. 

As an aside, have you seen the Lost in Vegas reaction video to any of the Alter Bridge songs?  They have done three songs and have gone from not knowing anything about the band to being pretty rabid about them.   The one for Blackbird is SO entertaining to watch (if you don't rage from how much they stop the video to comment):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud0dXMrOAiI  I highly recommend it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 02:22:42 PM »
Yeah Bosk definitely check out ODR, AB's first record - based on what you're describing I think you'd enjoy Myles on that record a lot. His voice was thicker for lack of a better term on that album. Through the years of getting older and touring heavily, he sounds thinner now partly to preserve his voice. He doesn't sing with as much body and grit as he used to.

Interesting. I think their best bet to replace Chris would be Ian Thornley. Myles could pull it off, but I don't know if he'd want to or not. He's caught enough grief from GnR fans over the years that he doesn't sing the songs like Axl or as well as Axl. I'm not sure he'd jump at the chance to have to fill another iconic singers shoes, again.