Author Topic: Time distribution of DT albums by track (graph)  (Read 1985 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Time distribution of DT albums by track (graph)
« on: October 04, 2018, 01:34:08 AM »
I think we discussed this briefly a while ago in the DT14 thread, & I like statistics so I thought I'd actually go through with making this.

Original scaled version
Equal scaling version
Equal scaling version with 6DOIT as one song

(Scroll down for graphs)

Notes:
All units measured in seconds
1 horizontal line = 1 minute
Data is based on track lengths, not necessarily song length
All times taken from Wikipedia
This took like an hour

Uh yeah, not much else to say. I just thought I'd share.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:43:44 AM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Time distribution of DT albums by track (graph)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 02:58:12 AM »
Well, uhh. Thanks, I guess.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 03:22:56 AM »
i like graphs... :dunno:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 06:04:12 AM »
Octavarium and DT12 look awesome.  :lol I wish they did the complete opposite at some point.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 06:12:19 AM »
Looks like something I'd do.  I find the graphs to be interesting visually.

Shouldn't the graph for 6DoIT have the last track as one song?  Most of their albums have the epic at the end, which becomes clearing evident in the graphs. Probably common knowledge anyway, but still interesting to me.

They also make TA look like such an odd ball  :lol

One thing i might tweak is when the graphs are altogether - to much and it make it hard to read.  Not sure how to fix that though.

Also on the separate graphs, if you made them all the same scale it makes it easier to see how they all compare.

I think I just let out my inner DT geek.  That's ok because this is a "safe place" for that.  :biggrin:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 06:35:37 AM »
I did it based on track, not based on what's technically one "song" according to the band (trying to be as objective as possible, otherwise I'd probably split IT & maybe combine AMBI).

Also on the separate graphs, if you made them all the same scale it makes it easier to see how they all compare.

Here you go

Weird, I thought equal scaling would make them harder to read, but it's actually not too bad.  ;D

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 06:55:51 AM »
Wow, that looks so cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

Do you work in Economics/Maths? I see in your profile that you're only 18. Are you studying some science at college?

Also: I see you are from Australia. I've been planning on moving to an English-speaking country next year, and I've done a bit of research visas to your country, talked to a guy online, etc. If I wanted to know something or have some advice, do you think I could PM you at some point? Thanks. :)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 07:10:46 AM »
Wow, that looks so cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

Do you work in Economics/Maths? I see in your profile that you're only 18. Are you studying some science at college?

I do not, though I did take a big interest to maths/stem subjects in high school. :biggrin:

I am at university but studying sound production.

Also: I see you are from Australia. I've been planning on moving to an English-speaking country next year, and I've done a bit of research visas to your country, talked to a guy online, etc. If I wanted to know something or have some advice, do you think I could PM you at some point? Thanks. :)

Sorry, but I can't help you there. I know absolutely nothing about how our country runs & I basically live under a rock.  :-\

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 01:56:16 PM »
Sorry, but I can't help you there. I know absolutely nothing about how our country runs & I basically live under a rock.  :-\
OK, no problem! I live under a rock as well. (Here in Argentina, we say "I live inside a Tupperware container." :P)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 02:07:48 PM »
Not sure what I can take away from this, but a nice visual.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 12:17:42 AM »
I did it based on track, not based on what's technically one "song" according to the band (trying to be as objective as possible, otherwise I'd probably split IT & maybe combine AMBI).

SDOIT is one song. AMBI is a suite but you can definitely hear that they are three different songs stitched together, each with a proper beginning and ending. The separate tracks of SDOIT do not have proper beginnings and/or endings.

Based on the graphs, I&W and ADTOE appears to have the best pacing in terms of alternating short-long-short-long songs.

The graph also shows why I get so tired listening to BC&SW. It's unbalanced, only one short song!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 12:42:47 AM »

SDOIT is one song. AMBI is a suite but you can definitely hear that they are three different songs stitched together, each with a proper beginning and ending. The separate tracks of SDOIT do not have proper beginnings and/or endings.

Point taken

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 05:03:44 AM »
BC&SW.

Black Clouds & Silver Winings.

Couldn't help it.

I wonder how a silver wining would go.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 06:53:51 AM »
Based on the graphs, I&W and ADTOE appears to have the best pacing in terms of alternating short-long-short-long songs.

The graph also shows why I get so tired listening to BC&SW. It's unbalanced, only one short song!
So the flatter the graphs, the better the album flows?  SFaM obviously flows well but the graph doesn't look very "balanced."

Or are you saying that a bunch of long songs just get tiring?  I can see where someone would feel that way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 10:27:20 AM »

The status of 6DOIT as a single song or a "suite" or collection of songs probably could be (and probably has been) debated endlessly.  However, I would say that the only place where a "proper" ending/beginning is lacking is between "War" and "Test."  "Overture" segues nicely into AtC (as do "Goodnight Kiss" into "Solitary Shell" and AtC(R) into LT/GF), but there's nothing not "proper" about the endings of "Overture," GK or AtC(R) or the beginnings of the AtC, SS and LT/GF.  There are literally dozens, if not hundreds of songs that segue between each other, but that doesn't make them not separate songs.  "Test" has a very clear ending, and there's a significant amount of silence before the "Portnoy Bedtime" intro to "Goodnight Kiss" begins.  Likewise, "Solitary Shell" has a clear/"proper" ending, and AtC(R) has a clear/"proper" beginning.

BC&SW.

Couldn't help it.

I wonder how a silver wining would go.

If you're going to talk like Elmer Fudd, do it right:  "Bwack Cwouds and Sihvuh Winings"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 06:28:58 PM »

So the flatter the graphs, the better the album flows?  SFaM obviously flows well but the graph doesn't look very "balanced."

Or are you saying that a bunch of long songs just get tiring?  I can see where someone would feel that way.

It's more of when the graphs go up down up down up, I feel it is more balanced.

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 09:34:36 PM »
BC&SW.

Or, Black Clouds & Steven Wilson.

The status of 6DOIT as a single song or a "suite" or collection of songs probably could be (and probably has been) debated endlessly.
I attended a Q&A with John P. and Jordan in 2016.

Someone asked them what the most personal DT song to them was.
You can hear their answers here: https://youtu.be/d3xqEbsrsH0?t=1094

John answered "Take away my pain", for obvious reasons.

Jordan answered:
For me... Rather than pointing to a specific song, I want to point to a specific album and the way that it came about, which I thought was very special, and that is the Six degrees of inner turbulence album, which was the second album that I did with Dream Theater... I can vividly remember being out in the live room of the studio with my keyboard, and John came out and... You know, he said to me "OK, Jordan", he said, "play the most beautiful, love theme you could possibly think of" (laughs :lol)... And I said, "OK!" (more laughs  :lol :lol)... So I played something, and then he said "OK, good", he said, "now, play something really epic and glorious", so I played something really epic and glorious, and then he said "play some kind of brassy, fanfare thing"... So we went through about 4 or 5 different things, and he said "OK, now we have all the themes for the album" (yet more laughs  :lol :lol :lol)... "So let's go write the album, now."
(You can see a short clip of what Jordan is talking about here: https://youtu.be/PrgpgfWy-fw?t=125. That's one of the 2001 promo clips by Elektra showing the band in the studio.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:43:49 PM by Sebastián Pratesi »