Author Topic: Indiscipline's Roulette v. The Dirty Aftermath  (Read 125499 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette v. Jam like it's '93!
« Reply #1855 on: November 21, 2018, 02:52:38 PM »
Good to know I'm finally out! That was one round too many, thanks to that Glen Hansard song. No regrets too, I love both my TDH songs way more than what Parama sent. I guess we're just that incompatible tastes-wise.

Good luck to the rest of the gang, I'll be following.

I hope I'm misreading, but are you happy to be out?  :-[

:metardica:

Time to kill some puppies with an epic
Right after I find an epic indiscipline would like

I think it was asked before but what are the rules for the epic round

Over 12 minutes. Not to send until all the writeups are up.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1856 on: November 21, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
Oh, 12 minutes is pretty lenient then, I'm sure I can find something  :metal

Are the EP rules up anywhere as well? May as well get started on that at this point even if I do get cut :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1857 on: November 21, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »
Good to know I'm finally out! That was one round too many, thanks to that Glen Hansard song. No regrets too, I love both my TDH songs way more than what Parama sent. I guess we're just that incompatible tastes-wise.

It's not that this wasn't heaps of fun, because it absolutely was, and I enjoyed playing; but it's more of a "know your audience" case here. After the first four rounds it was clear to me that I'm in a wrong roulette, and I even felt kind of bad getting through the tiebreaker, because I don't have a lot of stuff that would fit right in your wheelhouse, or whatever the saying is.

So yes, I'm glad that I'm out and Parama got through, because you seemed to enjoy his weird metal submissions more, and he's more likely to deliver the goods in the next two rounds.

That being said, if Chad doesn't send Dimension Act, I'm going to do it despite being eliminated. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1858 on: November 21, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »
Oh also Indiscipline, check out Child of Dust by Thrice and let me know how that would've fared, i would probably have sent that one & Daedalus for this round if I'd sent thrice instead

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1859 on: November 21, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »
Personally, me and my University pals defaulted to NBA Hangtime.  I'd always play as Kevin McHale... that dude could knock down the threes all night long.  It was the perfect pre-evening out drinking activity - we had a whole drinking game around it, and were totally smashed before even stepping out the door.

Edit... If not McHale, I'd play as Dan Majerle - he was also lethal from 3-point land.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1860 on: November 21, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »

It's not that this wasn't heaps of fun, because it absolutely was, and I enjoyed playing; but it's more of a "know your audience" case here. After the first four rounds it was clear to me that I'm in a wrong roulette, and I even felt kind of bad getting through the tiebreaker, because I don't have a lot of stuff that would fit right in your wheelhouse, or whatever the saying is.

So yes, I'm glad that I'm out and Parama got through, because you seemed to enjoy his weird metal submissions more, and he's more likely to deliver the goods in the next two rounds.

That being said, if Chad doesn't send Dimension Act, I'm going to do it despite being eliminated. :)

All clear now, thank you!  :)

Oh also Indiscipline, check out Child of Dust by Thrice and let me know how that would've fared, i would probably have sent that one & Daedalus for this round if I'd sent thrice instead

Will do!

Personally, me and my University pals defaulted toNBA Hangtime.  I'd always play as Kevin McHale... that dude could knock down the threes all night long.  It was the perfect pre-evening out drinking activity - we had a whole drinking game around it, and were totally smashed before even stepping out the door.

Kevin McHale is my third favourite human player in the history of the game.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1861 on: November 21, 2018, 03:17:25 PM »
Implying you have a list of favorite non-human players?  Space Jam references are upcoming?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1862 on: November 21, 2018, 03:25:27 PM »
Yeah I knew I fucked up once I realized my score in the previous rounds didn't matter for this  :lol . Should have sent John Wayne Gacey Jr and Vesuvius by Sufjan Stevens, but was trying to save Impossible Soul for the epic round. Give those songs a try once the roulette's done (or before, doubt anybody would send them :P).

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1863 on: November 21, 2018, 03:32:00 PM »
Implying you have a list of favorite non-human players?  Space Jam references are upcoming?

EDIT: The last thing I want is to be misinterpreted in a light fun context

Yeah I knew I fucked up once I realized my score in the previous rounds didn't matter for this  :lol . Should have sent John Wayne Gacey Jr and Vesuvius by Sufjan Stevens, but was trying to save Impossible Soul for the epic round. Give those songs a try once the roulette's done (or before, doubt anybody would send them :P).

Will do!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:44:24 PM by Indiscipline »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1864 on: November 21, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »
Are the EP rules up anywhere as well? May as well get started on that at this point even if I do get cut :P
repost since it was missed I think

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1865 on: November 21, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »
Now the geezers, 'cause they made me crap sea urchins:

TAC - The aTACkers: Thoughts Factory:

No Way Out                                 -                        The Mire

No Way Out: Sometimes the recipe for excellent prog metal is simple: DT Kevin era patterns riding Metallica riffage. Classic yet new. The song goes on making right choice (no guitar solo) after right choice (vocal lines written with the vocalist's limitations in mind, hence enhancing him instead of hampering him). Great hooks, with a focking cherry on top represented by a piano/bass section pulled straight outta Images and Words, followed by a shameless Derek synyh solo. A relentless beast checking all my secret metal boxes.

The Mire: Imagine my excitement when I heard this starting like Total Eclipse of the Heart (the greatest secretly-prog-but-easypop ladytune in history), and imagine it doubled listening to the return of Young Mixolydian Vai Tone. After a brief stroll through magical ambient forest, it settles into Mangini era DT ballad territory (The Bigger Picture chorus). Strange and very good convoluted languid piece.

vs

kingshmegland - King Kongshmegland: Karmakanic:

Wheel of Life                                   -                        Let In Hollywood

Let in Hollywood: What a focking chimera. Whoish strumming, Police pace, late U2 riffage, Squire bass capers, Harold Faltenmeyer's Axel Foley's theme looming like a prankster ghost. Add roughly 764 tiny instrumental bits in every nook and cranny and it's almost beautifully maddening. When it decides what it is (the rock synth solo over an unforgettable rock riff) it really hits its stride. Fascinating yet undecided.

Wheel of Life: The song of the round, checking every prog box just like Tim's song checked the metal ones. How to explain ... it bests Neal Morse when he tries to best Genesis. And that's only the first station before turning into a Colosseum ambient piece full of major sevenths with Larry Carlton on wah duties, then into a Pink Floyd 6/8 patented ode, and back to Brit Prog glory. Before I forget, Jonas Reingold may be the most underrated bassist on the whole rock prog scene.

Match Summary: Two star starters beat an all-star and one role player.

Winner: TAC

King, you sent me wonderful prog bliss after wonderful prog bliss. Fock, I even loved your tank round song. It feels almost unfair seeing you lose while submitting the best song of the round, but TAC played two great tunes, while your second one was weaker. It was an unfortunate pairing, 'cause you would have crushed any other fogey this round. I have to thank you for all the laughs you generously provided in this roulette, and please keep happily busting chops from the Green Monster.

jingle.boy - Boston Bruins Blow: Frameshift:

La Mer                               -                               Miseducation

La Mer: Fock me if this isn't dress rehearsals for the Astonishing, i.e. the second best album by DT, and come at me bros. Big James' undefeated airy tone surfing some wise Elton John chicanery. Maybe a little too compressed in the verse and too reverbed in the chorus, but we're splitting sacred hairs here. Not a big fan of the drum machine, a great fan of the final electric explosion. I love piano driven tasty serenades, I love LaBrie. Focking cheater.

Miseducation: Mister Sebastian Bach has been one of my favourite vocalists while NBA Jam was fresh. Here he mostly sounds on his last leg, but the devilish spunk is still there to be reckoned with. There's a good sleazy rock chorus idea and the beginning of a good melodic guitar solo I would salvage, but the song wastes those goodies feeling its way among unconclusive industrial prog temptations. We are the youth gone wry.

vs

lonestar - Team Fuck Canada: Voices from the Fuselage:

Meteorites                                        -                                     Epicinium

Epicinium: Sorry mate, but unbearably nasal languid vocals on a r&b base could be the very definition of “not my cup of tea”. This is the classic tune I hear every Thursday on X-Factor, making the wife and me go: “Do kids like this? We don't know songs anymore, but it must be popular”, then the daughter replies: “I don't like it”, and I thank God and hug my family. Back to the song, it's a shame, 'cause the lyrics are rather noteworthy.

Meteorites: Huge improvement, actually a very brilliant and unique song doing a lot of things real good. The more it gets heavy, the more the vocals get better, and I can finally spot a great instrument inside the guy's throat. The heavy part is “heavy with lots of atmospheric space”, like something taken from The Real Thing (Top 10 modern albums for me), the hooks are solid, and the instrumental mid section is great when angry and sounds great when placid (finally a good use of vocoder trickery). Nice surprise.

Match Summary: One star starter and one bench warmer beat one star starter and one summer camp cut

Winner: Jingle

Lonestar, with the exotic prog metal grasp you have on my tastes, you had this in your hands, but you managed to send me something even worse than Miseducation, while staying on La Mer's level with your best output. The gratitude I feel for all the great acts you made me know is rivaled only by the regret of not receiving your epic and EP. It's been a great pleasure, please stick around!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1866 on: November 21, 2018, 04:05:01 PM »
Congrats Tim and Chad.  Alex,  thanks for letting me play.  I had a blast.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1867 on: November 21, 2018, 04:11:15 PM »
repost since it was missed I think

Ooops, my apologies. 5 songs from 5 different acts, a title, a concept explanation.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1868 on: November 21, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »
That's perfect, I love my 5 track EPs

Any length limit?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1869 on: November 21, 2018, 04:44:44 PM »
Let's say after 45 minutes it' a LP.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1870 on: November 21, 2018, 04:47:03 PM »
Fuck, knew u should've gone with Destrage.

Thanks for having me, and your loss cause I was holding on to a ton of goods for the end. Congrats Hoser give me my punishment...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: November 21, 2018, 04:48:51 PM »

Thanks for having me, and your loss cause I was holding on to a ton of goods for the end. Congrats Hoser give me my punishment...

Which picture will he use. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1872 on: November 21, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »
Totally fair assessment of Miseducation.  There's a certain Je ne sais quois about it that I love, but I should've known better now thinking about some of the similarities with It All Ends Here (ie, the 'industrial' sound to it). 

Phew, that was close.

Now to narrow my choice down.  I've got it down to 7 choices.  Decisions decisions.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: November 21, 2018, 05:21:25 PM »
Just send Dimension Act.

That's certainly one of my options.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1874 on: November 21, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »
Ok as my dad used to say, a debt is a debt, but a bet is a debt of honor, you always pay them...

There you go Hoser, happy? As I said in PMs, it hurts more to lose to that contrite, pretensious pile of shit La Mer. Not only does Henning fuck the metaphorical horse into the dirt, he pees on the corpse. I get it, it's the ocean and shit, you don't have to say it a billion fucking times. Just to make it more pretensious, he calls the song The Ocean...in fucking Spanish. I hated that song when you sent it in my first roulette, and I hate it more now. Fuck.

Alex, I sent you my epic anyways cause it's too fucking killer not to share.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1875 on: November 21, 2018, 05:38:33 PM »
Aw c'mon... the chorus is only sung thrice.  You didn't hate it that much... you gave ita 4/5.  Or maybe you were just in a grateful mood that day.  :lol

Either way.... THESE CHEESE FRIES ARE GANGSTA!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1876 on: November 21, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »
:zeltar:

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1877 on: November 21, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »

continued from PM

... it's definetly getting the Scenes Thread treatment.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1878 on: November 21, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
Oh man....dis gonna be good...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: November 21, 2018, 05:48:04 PM »

I can validate this statement.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1880 on: November 21, 2018, 05:49:15 PM »
Oh man....dis gonna be good...

Seeing that beside your avatar made me pee a little I was laughing so hard.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1881 on: November 21, 2018, 06:02:12 PM »
oh fuck off.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1882 on: November 21, 2018, 06:16:53 PM »
I. Have. Sent. :natalieportman:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1883 on: November 21, 2018, 06:17:56 PM »
Steven Wilson - TAC. Has. Sent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1884 on: November 21, 2018, 06:18:33 PM »
Geez, I've never seen the episode of Triple D where Guy Fieri gets a blowjob.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1885 on: November 21, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »
Geez, I've never seen the episode of Triple D where Guy Fieri gets a blowjob.

Flavortown.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1886 on: November 21, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »

Actually, you should've gone with Thoughts Factory. :neverusethis:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1887 on: November 21, 2018, 06:27:51 PM »
Indiscipline, when would you like to get these epics in by? I'm going to be visiting family for the next 2 days and may not get anything to you until Friday evening or Saturday.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1888 on: November 21, 2018, 06:47:53 PM »

Actually, you should've gone with Thoughts Factory. :neverusethis:

Actually I had them on my list for the EP round, though I wasn't sure they'd make the cut

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1889 on: November 21, 2018, 06:51:17 PM »
Indiscipline, when would you like to get these epics in by? I'm going to be visiting family for the next 2 days and may not get anything to you until Friday evening or Saturday.

I want you to visit your family without worrying about my epic   :D

Even monday's alright by me.