Author Topic: Indiscipline's Roulette v. The Dirty Aftermath  (Read 121024 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette: The Encino Man - v. Two Princes
« Reply #525 on: October 11, 2018, 05:04:14 AM »
Weren't you also going to review Cockroach King?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #526 on: October 11, 2018, 05:44:25 AM »
See? I forget stuff and need help. Many many thanks.

I'l try to give it the Scenes treatment, just to let you guys know what happens when I listen to songs.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: October 11, 2018, 06:03:16 AM »
To make it a bit different considering that it's not an actual submission, perhaps you could indulge your senses with the music video for Cockroach King instead of the regular audio track.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #528 on: October 11, 2018, 07:02:25 AM »
Good idea, DOC, but the only official video I could find has the edit single version.

Haken - The Cockroach King:

0:00 – 0:11: Oh, it's Cockroach Against the Machine apparently …

0:11 – 0:34: … No, it isn't. It's one of the truest-to-the-source homages to the Shulman Bros in recent memory.

0:34 – 0:51: Why are we singing like Thom Yorke here? Aren't we feeling hip-tellectual enough?

0:51 – 2:17: Lovely. There's a Supertrampish irriverence in the way they've eventually actualised the theme, and the recurring odd funky spice is the final touch for a perfectly balanced acid-sweet flavour. This is progressive, 100%.

2:17 – 2:50: Why? I rooted for that unique pace to evolve! Metalise, Trivialise.

2:50 – 3:35: Thank you very much, you just proved my point. This segment could have been a terrific organic development. Now, due to that run-of-the-mill prog metal wedge of a chorus, it's just another beautiful disjointed bit.

3:35 – 3:59: This is not a polite way to respond to the previous paragraph. On the other hand, it is possibly another wedge.

3:59 – 5:17: The fact I'm in love with this jewel of a section (really, the better ode to playful Zappa this side of Beyond This Life's break) makes this whole affair even more infuriating. But I'm sure I will have the chance to elaborate later.

5:17 – 5:43: Seriously, these guys play flawlessly. The day they get rid of that strange sense of obligation towards mainstream prog metal (and the need to show they can be unpredictable) and elevate songwriting to their musicianship's level, game is over and I become a rabid dangerous fan.

5:43 – 6:10: Not ranting here. Heavy is wonderfully appropriate here. Why? It continues a discourse changing everything as opposed to jumping topics telling the same story. I swear, the previous phrase can make sense with a bit of pity and good will …

6:10 – 7:04: ... Or it can make sense thanks to its musical explanation. I'm not unzipping my pants yet though, 'cause someway I know …

7:04 – 7:50: … This is coming back. By the way, I genuinely like the dude's voice and singing. It's unique, creamy, and endearingly sarcastic in a way. You can do a lot of kinky funny marvellous special fresh things with it. What you can't do is the sustained emphatic metal chorus.

7:50 – 8:15: Of course, there was no better way to wrap this up. Conclusions:

This is a band that can execute EVERYTHING with ease, which makes writing what to play incredibly easy and choosing what to write incredibly difficult. If they would edit the couple of songs I heard (don't I sound quite the DT fan, with visions, demands and shit?) abandoning the burden of prog metal tradition and the need to show they can be more complex than their heroes, Haken would be one of the best 3 bands I know. There, I said it.

Until then, they get sevens in my roulette.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: October 11, 2018, 07:28:51 AM »
 :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #530 on: October 11, 2018, 07:41:09 AM »

2:50 – 3:35: Thank you very much, you just proved my point. This segment could have been a terrific organic development. Now, due to that run-of-the-mill prog metal wedge of a chorus, it's just another beautiful disjointed bit.

3:35 – 3:59: This is not a polite way to respond to the previous paragraph. On the other hand, it is possibly another wedge.

3:59 – 5:17: The fact I'm in love with this jewel of a section makes this whole affair even more infuriating.

5:17 – 5:43: Seriously, these guys play flawlessly. The day they get rid of that strange sense of obligation towards mainstream prog metal (and the need to show they can be unpredictable) and elevate songwriting to their musicianship's level, game is over and I become a rabid dangerous fan.

This is a band that can execute EVERYTHING with ease, <... if they could/would> abandon the burden of prog metal tradition and the need to show they can be more complex than their heroes, Haken would be one of the best 3 bands I know. There, I said it.

Slightly edited the final point there, but these comments perfectly encapsulate how I feel about this band as a whole.  Getting all technical and churning out wankfest after wankfest - JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN - is tiresome and unappealing.

"Beautifully disjointed".  You nailed it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #531 on: October 11, 2018, 08:14:10 AM »
and that's exactly why I did not send Cockroach King, but instead opted for Atlas Stone.

"We as a collective get one chance to send Haken and you send this?" well, yeah. I figured they were a good band to send anyway and if I'm not doing it in Round 1, then somebody else is - was my reasoning. To save them for round 2 is foolish if you ask me, because even though I think Aquarius (debut album) is still to this day their crowning achievement (sue me) I know virtually no other person who thinks that and I believe the only reason I actually think that is because it was the way I was introduced to the band back in 2010. Simply put for me: Aquarius is disjointed as fuck, but the band makes it work, because of all the quirks - and there's actual continuity in the total sound - unlike them trying too hard (for my tastes) on more recent work. Prime examples are Falling Back to Earth, Crystallised and 1985; all three songs that just don't fully work for me. On top of that, even though it's only 8 years old, for progressive metal, Aquarius already sounds a bit dated. Maybe it's the recording quality (which is worse than their other albums), maybe it's the compositions style, maybe it's both. In any case, that album is hardly representative of what Haken does nowadays.

Atlas Stone was in turn the 'turning point' for Haken as a band. The adopted a more slick and modern progressive metal style and I believe The Mountain opened lots of new doors for them, where Affinity went a lot further afterwards. The funny thing is, Atlas Stone probably isn't even in my top 10 Haken songs,but with the acquired taste of both Ross Jennings' vocals and the disjointed nature of most their songs, this was a 'safe' choice - much more so than Cockroach King (which I personally think is a bad 'song' - I seriously don't get the fan hype around this one, even though live it's tons of fun) would have been.

Other songs I considered sending were Initiate (again, not in my top 10), Deathless (in my top 10, but unlike most Haken's other songs and therefore not representative of the band; something I think is quite mandatory for a song to be whenever you send them in roulettes) and Darkest Light (probably too heavy).

So, what would you have sent?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #532 on: October 11, 2018, 08:17:03 AM »
I live in the wrong world if Haken is getting sevens and Cheap Trick is getting sixes.  ;)   :)  :)  :) 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: October 11, 2018, 08:34:49 AM »

Round 1, I would have sent, Falling Back to Earth, 1985 or The Architect.
Round 2, I would have confidently sent Aquarium, Drowning in the Flood or Celestial Elixir.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #534 on: October 11, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
I live in the wrong world if Haken is getting sevens and Cheap Trick is getting sixes.  ;)   :)  :)  :) 

Well, classic - hence banned -  Cheap Trick have a good bunch of solid eights here, to say the least.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #535 on: October 11, 2018, 08:38:10 AM »
Aquarium is easily a top 5 Haken song for me and Celestial Elixir is my #1.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #536 on: October 11, 2018, 08:40:04 AM »

I would have sent money!

Or at least chocolate.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #537 on: October 11, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »
Please, someone choose Igorrr in any of the rounds for this good man to review  :biggrin:
I'm extremely tempted.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette: The Encino Man - v. (Haken Get No) Satisfaction
« Reply #538 on: October 11, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »
The Mountain and Aquarius were tied as Haken's best for me, but over this year I began to lean towards Aquarius as their best album, to be honest.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette: The Encino Man - v. (Haken Get No) Satisfaction
« Reply #539 on: October 11, 2018, 10:37:22 AM »
LTR didn't do as well as I hoped so I'm going to try to take notes on the winners and send something this evening...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Good morning, bedlam.

Four more songs and we are ready to hang people in bizarre positions.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:17:59 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Good morning, bedlam.

Are you waiting for 4 more songs to be sent in?
Are you waiting to listen to 4 of the songs?

If the former, who do I need to stab?

One of the geriatric fucks?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
The former, my friend.

Not naming names, but I've got a long bus tonight and it would be a shame to be left outside that smelly feet listening session.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:01:36 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
okay i sent. i don't feel too confident because my brain is screaming at me to send the thing i like more rather than the one i know you'd like more but it is what it is

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
So, someone else sent the exact same band I wanted to send. The worst thing about it? He didn't send the best song on the album, because I did.

I'll have to resubmit, but I've been ill all week and my brain can't function enough right now to think of something else to send.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
What song/band?  :corn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, someone else sent the exact same band I wanted to send. The worst thing about it? He didn't send the best song on the album, because I did.

You wouldn't be thinking of using someone's band against them, would you??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Oh, it could have been you. Or ariich. Or a bunch of others in this roulette :lol
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Please be specific  :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Oh, it could have been you. Or ariich. Or a bunch of others in this roulette :lol

Next week's paycheque says it wasn't me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I so want to pull a Tim on you Chad.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Pretty sure it wasn't me  :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Pretty sure I don't want you pulling me, and I'm damn sure I don't want you doing it on Chad! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Aefenwelg

Sent.

Sorry, internet's been down for 3 days.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Pretty sure I don't want you pulling me, and I'm damn sure I don't want you doing it on Chad! :lol

All I wanted to say was,

"What the fuck is a paycheque?" :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

Oh, OK. Then carry on.. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Haha!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That's great, but what about this round's survey questions? :)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Oh, you like them every round? Sweet! It can be arranged.

Anyway, I started listening despite the incomplete roster (last call: tonight's bus), and I'm quite tempted to call this The Big Arse Solos round. Quality playing all around.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
You got mine in time, right?
Squ