Author Topic: Indiscipline's Roulette v. The Dirty Aftermath  (Read 120442 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette v. Excelsior
« Reply #1680 on: November 14, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »
I’ve listened to every song. The winners are easy choices. Not sure it’s even close.

Not sure you even have a say in it.  :neverusethis:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1681 on: November 14, 2018, 02:19:25 PM »
Fogey on fogey crime! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1682 on: November 14, 2018, 02:29:56 PM »
I didn’t even find a couple of them sad.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1683 on: November 14, 2018, 02:36:01 PM »
well, what is a ballad really? to be honest, I don't consider Refuge by Steven Wilson to be a ballad, but I honestly have no idea what standard I'm using either, it's just that it doesn't 'feel' like one. Is it supposed to be a sad song? Or merely a slow moving song? Is a power ballad a 'ballad' as well?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. All I know is that I'm losing :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1684 on: November 14, 2018, 02:36:56 PM »
the only thing sad about one more light is that the singer killed himself a few months later but it's pretty mediocre even for a pop song, which is what it is

Unless ariich sent like some alt version I've never heard of something

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1685 on: November 14, 2018, 02:39:56 PM »
I thought Indiscipline was looking for a sad song, no?

the only thing sad about one more light is that the singer killed himself a few months later but it's pretty mediocre even for a pop song, which is what it is

I was quite pleasantly surprised by this song.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1686 on: November 14, 2018, 02:49:27 PM »
well, fair enough then  :P
he just said ballads though

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1687 on: November 14, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »
well, what is a ballad really? to be honest, I don't consider Refuge by Steven Wilson to be a ballad, but I honestly have no idea what standard I'm using either, it's just that it doesn't 'feel' like one. Is it supposed to be a sad song? Or merely a slow moving song? Is a power ballad a 'ballad' as well?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. All I know is that I'm losing :)

Drive Home is more of a ballad. At least I think so.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1688 on: November 14, 2018, 03:07:43 PM »

Unless ariich sent like some alt version I've never heard of something
You have no soul. :(

The band wrote it about people they had lost. I find it incredibly moving, and only even more so after Bennington killed himself.

And yeah I had some other options, including power ballads and another very delicate song but that was mourning a relationship that had ended. This was by far the saddest of the options and it felt right for the round, given the reason Alex chose the theme.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1689 on: November 14, 2018, 03:58:06 PM »
I've only actually heard it like once or twice tbh but I wasn't too impressed with it, sorry

And like I guess his death would hit harder if I had ever been a fan of the band but, I wasn't

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1690 on: November 14, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »
They are all ballads, my friends, and beautiful at that.

The fogey duel wasn't that hard to decide, the youngsters' gave me fits, but I think I made up my mind.

Naturally, results and writeups tomorrow because I'm devastated by having to work with the flu.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1691 on: November 14, 2018, 04:46:16 PM »

The fogey duel wasn't that hard to decide

Crap.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1692 on: November 14, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »

Crap.

No it wasn’t hard to decide.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1693 on: November 14, 2018, 07:33:18 PM »

Crap.

I wouldn't be too worried lonestar. I listened to both today and thought that Alle probably wouldn't enjoy Wilson's amateur vocalizations and his hyper-pretentiousness. Your tune, while different, had better melodies and much better singers. I may be wrong, but I assume you won.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette v. Coughing up Blue Oysters
« Reply #1694 on: November 14, 2018, 09:05:02 PM »
I hear ya, here's hoping I appealed to his tastes. But that Wilson song is damn good.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1695 on: November 15, 2018, 01:29:19 AM »
man if this had been released earlier it would've been an amazing pick for the trash round
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qo_M9n3pCY

except the fact that i absolutely loathe it. what the hell, tommy

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1696 on: November 15, 2018, 02:20:00 AM »
also @ indiscipline for round 6, is there gonna be like some bonus for how different the songs are from one another? this may impact what i decide to send  :corn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1697 on: November 15, 2018, 04:29:36 AM »

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1698 on: November 15, 2018, 07:27:54 AM »
also @ indiscipline for round 6, is there gonna be like some bonus for how different the songs are from one another? this may impact what i decide to send  :corn

The difference between songs is just a pre-requisite, like "multiple songs" is a pre-requisite for the EP round. The important thing is I like them. Nonetheless, in case of a really tied-up match, diversity could be a factor for picking a winner.

Lightning Round Results, 1 of 2:

The Old Farts Conference:

romdrums - Seedy Rom and The Hard Drives:

Steven Wilson – Refuge:

Marvel Impression: "Puny Banner hulks out with the solos section"

With a certain degree of arrogance (it was the first time I sampled the gentleman's work, after all) I called Mr Wilson “the modern Alan Parsons” when reviewing Parama's Porcupine Tree submission. I guess I wasn't that wrong. A cold scheming genius of sound, genuinely effective when stripped to the bone (the introductory verse), entirely disregarding the concept of solid vocal line as main songwriting tool, better suited for instrumental moods and arranging other people's instinctive playing (the magnificent harmonica/guitar/moog solos). Everything between the very start and the solos section (arguably my favourite minute of the round) feels sterile and distant, albeit sonically immaculate.

Romdrums, you've never been able to send NOT interesting music in this roulette, and I really enjoyed your participation. I thank you and salute you.

lonestar - Team Fuck Canada:

Flaming Row - Pictures:

Marvel Impression: "Matt Murdock and Elektra Natchios finally find peace on a Greek beach"

You fretted in vain, mate. Almost ten minutes of mild mannered prog rock boasting an astounding complete lack of pretentiousness, in ¾ (the pace of beauty, as far as I'm concerned), full of folky overtones, flute & moog, tear-inducing memorable melodies, and a classic ballsy guitar solo out of the focking blue. I'm going out on a limb and say this is dead right up my favourite alley. In case Chad finds it in his heart to forgive you for this submission, can you please tell him this song does everything his Evership tune should have done in order to win the first round? Thank you, and congratulations for making it to the playoffs.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:52:32 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline romdrums

Re: Indiscipline's Roulette v. Coughing up Results
« Reply #1699 on: November 15, 2018, 07:45:10 AM »
Indiscipline, it was an honor to participate and try to figure out your tastes in music.  I'm glad I was able to provide a few highlights for you.  :hat :tup :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1700 on: November 15, 2018, 08:02:58 AM »
Beating put that track is a huge accomplishment, I almost feel like sending the link to the guitarist hahaha. Well played rondrums!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1701 on: November 15, 2018, 08:06:54 AM »
And a question for our host, are the playoff rounds elimination ones, or are we all playing to the bitter end?

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1702 on: November 15, 2018, 08:08:36 AM »
Every round is direct elimination from now on.  :corn

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1703 on: November 15, 2018, 08:10:42 AM »
Yikes.... Might change my game plan then haha...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: November 15, 2018, 08:17:17 AM »

Pussy.  LOL

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: November 15, 2018, 08:27:28 AM »
Absolutely have no problem saying Flaming Row > Evership.  I'll take a warm smile away with RJ's victory, since (I believe) I was the one that introduced him to Flaming Row.

Come and Fuck Canada (if you can) my culinary compadre.  :bringiton:

I probably shouldn't have tipped my hand to you earlier.  :doh:

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1706 on: November 15, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
You did introduce me to them, and I'm eternally grateful for it.

As to tipping your hand, I'm going in a completely different direction, so I think we're bot standing on bands we brought to the table.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1707 on: November 15, 2018, 08:40:43 AM »
Lightning Round Results, 2 of 2:

Young Turks Conference:

:ariich: ariich – Sexin'-You-Laters:

Linkin Park – One More Light:

Marvel Impression: "Peter Parker mourns Uncle Ben and stops being a teenager for ever"

It was just impossible being alive during the 00's and escaping Linkin Park's terrible radio hits, which I instantly liquidated as fastidious, eminently forgettable screamy plastic pimple metal a la carte. You can therefore imagine my surprise hearing such a delicate, restrained and sensibly played/sung ballad. It strikes a beautiful balance between sorrow and discretion, tiptoeing the tragic matter at hand while making a powerful statement. Those noteworthy features are the reason I can call this a pretty good tune, despite it standing on otherwise rather banal musical content. I would have never thought they had something like this in them.

Rich, I think I got this: our tastes in modern sounds are pretty afar, but we share a wide ranging curiosity in quality styles (especially on the jazzy front). That's why you never had a smash submission, but neither a dud. I'm eager for the opportunity to find further common ground. Until then, thank you!

:crypt: Elite - Rich and The Poor Tastes:

Major Parkinson – Strawberry Suicide:

Marvel Impression: "Victor Von Doom bares his humane soul"

I had to request a ballad in order to have you submit your absolute best. Pure utter class from start to finish. A haunting piano marrying Chopin with Tom Waits, an atmosphere so real and powerful it almost materialises inside the room while you're listening. And let me state i focking love the vocals: timbre, narration and delivery. Dark beautiful sophisticated cabaret music no one even thinks anymore. Bravo.

Rich, you are not winning this round only because of the special song I'm reviewing below, but I feel you would have got this 99% otherwise. I feel a wee bad about this and God knows how many times I've listened to both tunes in order to be absolutely certain. You are the participant sharing more of my appreciation for the kinky side of music, and you gave me a couple of gems. Thank you, man.

:scio: Evermind - Cockroach Sympathizers:

Glen Hansard – Bird of Sorrow:

Marvel Impression: "Scott and Jean on the Moon's Blue Zone"

The song above is musically more interesting, intellectually more intriguing, vocally more fascinating, and if songwriting were a science and not an art, it would have probably gotten the edge. Unfortunately for both the Riches, this submission is the focking reason human race has created the concept of “song”. A journey of melody, hope and pain delivered with a dying man's urgency and truth. It lifts you up, throws you down and leaves you beautifully destroyed. Caught in the storm, you don't know what a verse, a chorus, arrangement and instruments are anymore, just like – when truly making love – your senses just can't distinguish who's inside whom.

I don't score elimination rounds, but this is a focking ten. Congratulations Evermind.

Playoffs Grid:

Old Farts Conference:

Boston Bruins Suck vs Team Fuck Canada
The aTACkers vs King Kongshmegland

Young Turks Conference:

Six Roaming Owls vs Cockroach Sympathizers
Hangmanen Addicts vs West Coast Marbles

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1708 on: November 15, 2018, 08:48:25 AM »
Glen Hansard strikes again. :lol Sorry Rich.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1709 on: November 15, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »
Oh fuck... Head to head with the Hoser. This is screaming for a side bet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: November 15, 2018, 08:52:12 AM »
Oh fuck... Head to head with the Hoser. This is screaming for a side bet.

And I'm against Crankshaft.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1711 on: November 15, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »
I must say the cheat is strong with the next round, and I love it.  :corn

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: November 15, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
I must say the cheat is strong with the next round, and I love it.  :corn

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1713 on: November 15, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
Go Glen
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1714 on: November 15, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »
Glen Hansard strikes again. :lol Sorry Rich.

I knee it would happen, but I’m very glad Indiscipline enjoyed my submission as well :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey