Author Topic: Indiscipline's Roulette v. The Dirty Aftermath  (Read 120453 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette v. Killing Me Softly with These Songs
« Reply #1540 on: November 09, 2018, 03:12:01 PM »
Chad perfectly explained his rationale when he submitted, and got my ok days ago. Furthermore, he so openly whined about 7 scores that I have no problems believing he sees 6 as proper vote for a song he dislikes  :P

*Be honest here, send me a tune you rate at least 6/10 but you consider my kryptonite. The point is showing you got to know my tastes, not to send literal shite.

Not to be an opportunist here, but I think I get a 10.  I was honest.  Check.  I sent you a tune that I would rate at least a 6/10. Check.  I think you'd call bubble gum pop your kryptonite, based on some of the write-ups, and the songs that I didn't connect with as being "light weight". Check.  And yet I think it might be something you'd give a second listen to, because you seem to appreciate a well-written song and a melody that sticks in your head.   Check.

I'm not great at math, but as I understand it, "4 * Check = 10".   

4 checks, 5 checks ... whatever it takes

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1541 on: November 09, 2018, 03:16:13 PM »
Well, that's fair and totally up to you. I didn't interpret the rules the way Chad did, so I thought I had to send a song I truly loved.

However, as this is probably going to be my last song anyway—if the standings are any indication—no harm done.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1542 on: November 09, 2018, 03:17:00 PM »
Ev, your song sucks  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1543 on: November 09, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »
Does mine suck too?  ::)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1544 on: November 09, 2018, 03:21:54 PM »
It blows goats, man.

In fact, there is only one song in this round I would call not-sucky, and in a regular round I'd give it a 6.5

Another one is terrible, but I focking love it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1546 on: November 09, 2018, 03:24:28 PM »
Does mine suck harder than 75% of the other songs here?
I know for sure I can't top sunn o))) in sucking but I put up a decent effort I think

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1547 on: November 09, 2018, 03:29:01 PM »
You put up an amazing effort.

The real variable, except for a couple of tunes, will be the hate factor.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #1548 on: November 09, 2018, 03:50:32 PM »
The sunn O))) song is kinda just a boring suckage, though. You eventually just stop paying attention. I think it gets Impression #4.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1549 on: November 09, 2018, 03:54:37 PM »
Indiscipline, you'll probably like my song so much that I get eliminated, but in the off chance I get to the next round, what if what I would like to send is not on YouTube? Can you get Spotify on the bus?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1550 on: November 09, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »
Wow Tim.  The pity sex posts I see. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1551 on: November 09, 2018, 04:10:32 PM »
I know that you, my brother, have never refused pity sex. Just sayin'.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1552 on: November 09, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »
Still really funny that indiscipline "assembled all the impressions neatly" and then missed four

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1553 on: November 09, 2018, 04:23:24 PM »
But you're on the other end of it.

Begging. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1554 on: November 09, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »
Indiscipline? Hello?? You there?

Apparently results tomorrow.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1555 on: November 09, 2018, 04:54:12 PM »
Well, that's fair and totally up to you. I didn't interpret the rules the way Chad did, so I thought I had to send a song I truly loved.

However, as this is probably going to be my last song anyway—if the standings are any indication—no harm done.
It was definitely never a requirement that we had to LOVE the song, but we do have to like it and rate it at least 6/10.

In my case, I do love the song I sent, and I know a lot of us did. To be honest I just think it's more fun that way.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1556 on: November 09, 2018, 05:19:25 PM »
Another one is terrible, but I focking love it.

Babymetal for sure.

A question for our illustrious host....what is the approximate length you expect out of the custom EP? And are there any parameters we should know about. I got a pick for the quarters and a few epics in mind for the semis (curse the asshole who sent Frost* and ruined using Milliontown)...just want to fill out the big one.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 06:58:18 PM by lonestar »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1557 on: November 09, 2018, 07:08:02 PM »
...just want to fill out the big one.

Yeah, tell me about it! :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1558 on: November 09, 2018, 07:18:59 PM »
i've only barely thought about my EP because i don't really expect to get that far but we'll see. i have a lot of options, i feel like, anyways, so i'm not super stressed about it regardless

the epic round i have nothing for though, more than likely

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1559 on: November 10, 2018, 02:16:51 AM »
Good morning, bedlam. I apologise for the questions left pending, but night time comes earlier around here.

A question for our illustrious host....what is the approximate length you expect out of the custom EP? And are there any parameters we should know about. I got a pick for the quarters and a few epics in mind for the semis (curse the asshole who sent Frost* and ruined using Milliontown)...just want to fill out the big one.

I have no time limits for the EP round, but the format request is: Five songs from five different acts (a starting 5, this is a NBA inspired playoff after all), a title, and a detailed concept/angle

Indiscipline? Hello?? You there?

TIME ZONES!

Still really funny that indiscipline "assembled all the impressions neatly" and then missed four

'Cause I didn't assemble 'em :P

1. Make it a complete instrumental, and this is actually an amazing composition.
 2. Heavy Metal Tourette
 3. I've been raised by a catholic dad and an atheist mum. They BOTH would have forbidden this.
 4. You could fit China's population in the gap between pretentiousness and actual value
 5. Thank you, now my throat hurts by proxy
 6. This is focking evil punishment
 7. Having that level of musicianship and electing to use it THIS way is like being a world class surgeon and going around mutilating bystanders with your scalpel.
 8. I think a distinguished gentleman just appeared in my living room. He's pleased to meet me and hopes I guess his name.
 9. What if Billy Corgan stole Muse from Matt Bellamy?
10. Do androids dream of electric shit?
11. *me flipping bird to wax Bieber in 2012*
12. I'd rather have my daughter pole-dancing on crack than listening to this. Seriously.
13. I underestimated your powers.
14. Now you send me a writeup about what you like in this song or I won't be able to sleep
15. Unvoluntary comedy scale shattered for ever.
16. This submission could have done better than a couple you sent in the previous rounds

Now I did.

Indiscipline, you'll probably like my song so much that I get eliminated, but in the off chance I get to the next round, what if what I would like to send is not on YouTube? Can you get Spotify on the bus?

Spotify link or just tell me author and title. My bus has ways. ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1560 on: November 10, 2018, 06:20:42 AM »
Did I screw up the impressions?  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1561 on: November 10, 2018, 07:27:16 PM »
 :corn

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1563 on: November 11, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
I should have sent this, because I 100% no bullshit love this song by some chick named Angela Via

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbmGl26FXU0
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1564 on: November 12, 2018, 02:57:51 AM »
Good morning, bedlam

This round gives me fits, but it's a focking blast nonetheless. It got progressively less disturbing to sit through after every listen, and a lot of surprising things happened to some of my prejudices.

Basically, you all failed. There is nothing I really "hate" here. There are songs intended to be silly which I like or damn straight fell in love with. All the growlies have something musically amazing underneath redeeming much of the horror. There are good songs with unsufferable sections or premises, there is one plain good song. Even the most extreme submissions (and I believe there are a couple of obvious trolls) are either featuring one interesting thing or boring/irrelevant, not hatefully ugly.

Organising my writeups right now because I want to be extremely clear in my judgements here and respectful to my set parameters.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1565 on: November 12, 2018, 03:15:40 AM »
I'm not hugely surprised by that, Alex. For people with a pretty open-minded interest in all sorts of different styles (like me, you and Puppies), it's perhaps easy enough to find stuff that we won't particularly like very much, but I think really bloody hard to find stuff that we'll hate unless it really is just noise. Even with the things that you're not keen on, like vocals you consider to be melodramatic, it's not like it's 1/10 territory hatred as far as I can tell. It just holds things back.

Really interested to see the results now.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1566 on: November 12, 2018, 04:21:08 AM »
Rich, you've just described my listening habits to a tee. Why aren't you winning this?  :P  ;)

First batch of results. Please, my friends, don't post math until I do. I just don't want it to be spoiled until I discover the final standings myself.

Turd Round Results, 1 of 4:

Kattelox - The Rainbow Warriors:

Millenium – Power to Love:

Bus Impression: “This submission could have done better than a couple you sent in the previous rounds”

Vote: 4 - “Good song, why do you think I wouldn't enjoy this?”. I indeed like this tune, and may have loved it if it wasn't mixed by a drunken deaf 9 years old. I don't dislike cheese (I loved Manowar in my teen years and I still love Helloween), and that's not what submarined Luca Turilli's song. Pretentiousness was the key there.

kingshmegland - King Kongshmegland:

William Shatner – Mr Tambourine Man:

First Impression: “Unvoluntary comedy scale shattered for ever.”

Vote: 5 – “Ehm, I kinda like it”, which is the perfect average between “0: all time comedic sublime classic I'm addicted to now for its divine absurdity” and “10: lost for words, big horror”. Even the over the top late 60's uber kitsch arrangement lives on this wonderful duality. I fell in love with this horrible piece of music and you should have known it.

Aefenwelg - The Uhhhh.. Wildcats:

uneXpect – The Quantum Symphony:

First Impression: “Make it a complete instrumental, and this is actually an amazing composition.”

Vote: 5 – “Ehm, I kinda like it”, which is the perfect average between “3: This is great, you should have sent it the round before” (as far as music is concerned) and “7: It sucks with moderation” (the evil imp vocals). One thousand beautiful musical ideas and stellar instrumental intricacies. I will check this act out.

lonestar - Team Fuck Canada:

Baby Metal – Road to Resistance:

First Impression: “Heavy Metal Tourette”

Vote: 5 – “Ehm, I kinda like it”, which is the only way I can describe a good power metal tune losing every trace of instrumental sense of moderation, redeeming itself with the perfect kind of vocals to mantain a credible level of absurd mecha stunt. Evil (like all Japanese music is at its core) but uniquely endearing (ditto).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette v. Shitty Results I
« Reply #1567 on: November 12, 2018, 04:30:11 AM »
Oh boy. Bad score there. I should have known your sense of humor.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1568 on: November 12, 2018, 04:35:41 AM »
That song is a gift, man. I'm not joking.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1569 on: November 12, 2018, 04:41:23 AM »
Good morning, bedlam

This round gives me fits, but it's a focking blast nonetheless. It got progressively less disturbing to sit through after every listen, and a lot of surprising things happened to some of my prejudices.

I also find that one can find enjoyment in virtually anything with enough listens.  Many times in my roulettes I would find very little appealing with a song after 1 or 2 listens, but then by the 6th or 7th go, it's either worn on me, or something 'clicked'.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1570 on: November 12, 2018, 04:52:20 AM »
Exactly. I've discovered things that, although I suspect I will never buy, I won't liquidate at first glance anymore.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1571 on: November 12, 2018, 05:11:48 AM »
Rich, you've just described my listening habits to a tee. Why aren't you winning this?  :P  ;)
Just because we share a general attitude towards music, doesn't mean we understand or relate to each other's precise tastes. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1572 on: November 12, 2018, 05:19:50 AM »
Turd Round Results, 2 of 4:

:shadowninja: Shadow Ninja 2.0 - Wayward Vagabonds:

Orbs – People Will Read Again:

First Impression: “What if Billy Corgan stole Muse from Matt Bellamy?”

Vote: 6 - “Flawed song with several good things going”, and several goog things go places indeed. Songwriting, construction, melodies are really enjoyable, bordering on Muse mastercraft at times. Naturally, the whole flawed thing is up to those really annoying Corganish vocals and attitude. I've been disliking the man since he was playing with child androids.

Stadler - The Hartford Walers:

Justin Bieber – U Smile (Acoustic):

First Impression: “*me flipping bird to wax Bieber in 2012*”

Vote: 6.5 – Between good flawed song and sucking in moderation. Good because, c'mon, it's a solid pop song with a strong hook, period. Flawed because – like a lot of solid pop songs – it's incredibly derivative (Fleetwood Mac want 74 of their chord progressions back). It touches the suckage realm because – the Bieber phenom nothwitstanding – pre-teen vocals passion-posturing are highly disturbing.

TAC - The aTACkers:

Tribulation - Lacrimosa:

First Impression: “I think a distinguished gentleman just appeared in my living room. He's pleased to meet me and hopes I guess his name.”

Vote: 6.5 – Similar math as above, extremised. Pretty good because it's a well executed homage to 70's proto-heavy metal and the central galloping meody is gorgeous, heavily flawed because five minutes of evil intervals is boring, blowing goats because of shitty vocals and amateurish production. You're lucky: another week of listens and I may have liked this more.

romdrums - Seedy Rom and The Hard Drives:

Meshuggah - MonstroCity:

First Impression: “Having that level of musicianship and electing to use it THIS way is like being a world class surgeon and going around mutilating bystanders with your scalpel.”

Vote: 6.5 – The imperfect average between 3: great and 8: I like only one thing. But, being the only one thing, well, the whole instrumental execution, I can turn things around and say: this is great, but ruined by crazy kobold vocals. I have never heard a more interesting and technically superb rythmic interplay this side of DT. Why wasting it in gratuitopus brutality?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:25:47 AM by Indiscipline »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: November 12, 2018, 05:43:39 AM »
That song is a gift, man. I'm not joking.  :lol

I love it. I can't stop laughing ever time I listen to it. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette v. Shitty Results II
« Reply #1574 on: November 12, 2018, 06:17:31 AM »
So is that a good score or a bad score?