Author Topic: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Jingle & Kat Bonus Round...spoiler...Jingle wins)  (Read 112099 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (EP Results Part 2)
« Reply #1120 on: November 27, 2018, 07:31:18 PM »
hey delete that

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1121 on: November 27, 2018, 11:22:52 PM »
I promise I haven't forgotten about this. Everything has been conspiring against me trying to get these done.

I plan to post 3 more results tonight and the rest tomorrow.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1122 on: November 28, 2018, 01:06:45 AM »
EP Results Part 3

Exodus Into the Spiraling Eternity
Parama

Letters From the Colony - Galax
Eryn Non Dae. - Chrysalis
Hannes Grossmann - The Radial Covenant I, II
Burial in the Sky - Nexus
Tetrafusion - Perfect Silence

So there were a few of these bands I was really looking forward to hearing for the first time. Eryn Non Dae, Hannes Grossmann, and Tetrafusion. One did almost nothing for me, one was bizarrely constructed and I ended up thinking about everything that was wrong with it, and one was actually really good. Overall I like the story line you have created here. I always enjoy a good sci-fi, space romp. The flow from song to song and the general feel of the songs also worked really well for me too.

So the problem songs were Chrysalis and Perfect Silence (probably not what you wanted to hear). I'll talk about Chrysalis first, since it comes up first in the EP. This song even after about 6 or 7 listens still remains completely unmemorable to me. There is nothing there that grabs my attention, nothing catchy to pull me in. I could be very alone in this sentiment, but as one of your fellow roulette participants would say, TASTES! The song is just kind of there, but doesn't make its presence known in any unique or standout way. Tetrafusion was actually the most frustrating for me. I can hear and understand the technical aspect of what they were doing, but to me it was executed so poorly that it completely took me out of enjoyment mode and in to overly critical mode. It seemed like every part of this song either had what sounded like one of the instruments playing a completely different rhythm or time signature or tempo that the rest of the band, or just plain playing the wrong notes for the section, or the whole band is trying to play a rhythm and time signature so obscure and overly complicated that it ends up sounding like a complete mess. After a few listens I didn't want to hear it anymore.

So what's right? Well Galax starts the EP off with a bang. At first I didn't like the overly djenty first half of the song, but it grew on me the more I listened to it. Plus the second half is absolutely amazing. It's a perfect EP opener. The Hannes Grossman song is also an amazing song. It definitely picks up the EP after the disappointment of Chrysalis. And you are right it basically sounds like an Alkaloid song (which both makes sense and is a very good thing). This flows perfectly in to Nexus, which is a brilliant segue piece that also flow perfectly in to the beginning of Perfect Silence of which I actually enjoyed the first minute.

So to recap the Flow here is almost top notch, but not all the songs work for me. I like the story, but I get ripped out of my enjoyment of it by two bad songs.

13.2 (EP Score) + 4.5 (Flow Score) = 17.7 Total

Shining The Focus on Our Infatuation with Christ Sized Shoes
Romdrums

Intersphere-Relations in the Unseen
Shiner- Christ Sized Shoes
Vennart- Infatuate
Birds of Tokyo- Circles
Strata- Cocaine (We're All Going to Hell)
Chavez- Our Boys Will Shine Tonight
Failure- The Focus
Intersphere- Tear Down the Walls
Sleep Parade- Inside Out

So you took a different approach to the EP that everyone else. You went for a particular instrument sound and tried to match that from song to song, which I think turned out brilliant. I was a little skeptical reading the description you sent with the EP, but I ended up enjoying the flow and how easily all the songs seemed to belong together. It actually kind of reminded me of those CD samplers you would get from music magazines back in the day.

This kicks off with a great, fun drumming song with The Intersphere's Relations in the Unseen. The song is pretty damn catchy too, with just enough of a proggy instrumentation to keep it interesting and at 3 and a half minutes it doesn't overstay it's welcome. This rolls in to Christ Sized Shoes, which sounds a lot like the 90's love child of the Foo Fighters and Tool. This made even more sense to me after I looked up the band and saw the album came out in 1997 and is classified as Math Rock influenced Alternative Rock. This sounds like an album I need to get. Those drums are awesome. Next is Vennart's Infatuate. I'm definitely familiar with Mike Vennart since I'm a huge fan of Oceansize. I think I listened to this album once when it came out back in 2015, but it didn't really resonate with me. At the time I think I was looking for Oceansize 2.0 and was disappointed it didn't end up like that. To be honest this has some Oceansizisms (new word!), but it takes on an identity of it's own. I've always liked Vennart's voice and the post-rock-like guitar playing. The only thing I don't care too much for is the keyboard patches used here and they are pretty prevalent. The Birds of Tokyo song has a really nice guitar melody and the enjoyable vocals of Ian Kenny, whom I had no idea he was in another band or that this was his main band. As nice as this song is and as beautiful as that melody is, I still think I prefer Karnivool, I don't know if I'd want a full album of stuff like this. It's not a bad song by any means though. The Strata song is possibly the most different of the bunch (except the closing track, but we'll get to that). It starts with an almost reggae rock like vibe, but quickly morphs in to a more alt rock number with an almost emo-post-hardcore like sound. This song is catchy, but has it's issues. The vocals aren't anything to write home about and the song feels like it overstays it's welcome even though it's less than 4 minutes. Chavez sounds like a 90's Indie Rock band. They share some similarities, at least musically, with Dinosaur Jr. Then again Dinosaur Jr had a lot of different sounds that they utilized and tried throughout the years, so it's not really a stretch to compare almost any band with them :lol but the vocals in places do remind me of J Mascis. When the Failure song came on the first time I thought it was Burning Brides. The vocalist and the guitar tone sounds very similar to Dimitri Coats. This is actually a good thing. I love that type of hard rock sound. Is this the band that A Perfect Circle did a cover of The Nurse Who Loved Me? I think I remember reading somewhere that was a Failure song. This also sounds a lot like that Replicants album Stadler sent me earlier. The next Intersphere song sounds a bit rawer and less refined that the first, but at the same time a bit more experimental. It still has some cool guitar licks and drums. That bit where the song breaks down and then ramps back up to the finale is so tasty. Relations in the Unseen is the better of the two though. Inside/Out is a whole other beast. Stylistically it's not very similar to the rest of the songs here, but that's ok. Your comment of it being somewhat Space-Dye Vest-like is pretty spot on. It starts off mellow with nice vocal melodies, but it keeps building and building until it climaxes and then gently ends the EP with that nice thick fuzzy bass tone and a jazzy drum beat.

I think overall the flow of this wasn't really about how the songs seamlessly moved from one to the next, but more about how everything just felt like it belonged. My least favorite song was the Vennart song, but I think I'm still just salty that Oceansize is no more :( Great EP though.

16.1 (EP Score) + 4 (Flow Score) = 20.1 Total

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue
Lethean

Agent Fresco - See Hell
Enchant - At Death's Door (bonus point song)
Sound of Contact - Pale Blue Dot
Votum - Horizontal
Votum - Vertical
Eniac Requim - Endless Cosmos
Eldritch - Bleed Mask Bleed

Interesting concept for the EP. The song's don't really tie together, it's more the songs tie to particular aspects of the title. Having said that there isn't anything here that feels out of place.

The EP starts with See Hell. I got an Agent Fresco song in my last roulette, but I didn't like it anywhere near as much as this one. The Haken similarities are very strong here and work well. I like the vocal melodies a lot, with the exception of how he pronounces the word hell the majority of the time, small criticism. Otherwise it's a really good song. The next song is At Death's Door, which I really feel should have closed out the EP. This song is a hell of a song. I've only ever checked out 1 Enchant album, Tug of War, which I thought was good, not great, but this song easily eclipses anything on that album. Where has this been my whole life? I pick up a lot of similarities to Rush, especially in the way they do their instrumental breaks, the guitar tone in the leads, and the drum work. Has some really cool atmosphere and build ups and releases. The vocals are top notch, as always from Ted Leonard. Fantastic song! I even don't mind the fade out at the end I like this song so much. This earns the bonus half point and the extra point for my favorite song of the EP round. The rest of the EP isn't as good, another reason that song should have been last :P. Not to say it's bad though. With Pale Blue Dot being another good song. I heard a couple of songs from this album when it first came out, but I don't really remember any of it. I do know this was put together by Simon Collins, Kelly Nordstrom, and Dave Kerzner. I'm a big fan of Dave Kerzner's solo stuff in particular. I don't know if Simon is as good of a drummer as his dad was in his heyday, but he is definitely no slouch. This song is pretty catchy though, with it's chorus. Overall a good song. The two Votum songs are a change of pace with some more Atmospheric Prog Metal. These two songs are fairly decent, but I cant help but think there are other bands that do this style better. The first band that came to mind was Katatonia, maybe mixed with a bit of Riverside and Arcane. The vocals especially take a lot of cues from Katatonia. I think I like Vertical more than Horizontal just slightly. It has a little better dynamics and takes more influence from bands like Porcupine Tree and Anathema. Endless Cosmos is a song from a band I had never heard of before. This song is an interesting blend of Prog Rock and Metal. I like the riffage used throughout and the vocal melodies and harmonies. It continues with the more Atmospheric trend of the Votum songs although it fits more stylistically with the Enchant song, and is almost as good. That guitar solo in the second half.....wow! Love it. The last track is Bleed Mask Bleed, which basically destroys the flow the EP had going for it. Stylistically it doesn't fit and it's way too cheesy in comparison to the other songs here. You probably would have scored even higher if you left this song off completely and ended the EP with Enchant. It's not a bad song, it just doesn't belong here, in my opinion.

Speaking of flow, the EP flows really well until the very end. Overall this is still a great EP.

16.7 (EP Score) + 3.5 (Flow Score) + .5 (bonus song) + 1 (Favorite Song) = 21.7 Total

Leathean should be pretty happy with that score. Kind of like how Parama is going to be very disappointed with his  :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1123 on: November 28, 2018, 01:14:50 AM »
i can maybe get your opinion @ eryn non dae but your description of tetrafusion doesn't align with what the song actually sounds like to me so, i dunno, tastes  :P

i wasn't super thrilled with this EP anyways so whatever. hope i get cut  :metal

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1124 on: November 28, 2018, 01:30:52 AM »
Something about that whole Tetrafusion song just seemed off to me.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (EP Results Part 3)
« Reply #1125 on: November 28, 2018, 01:33:09 AM »
SHRUG

i just hope i don't miss out on the concept album round, i actually have a pretty neat concept & almost all the songs already in line for it so it'd be a shame if you missed out on it  :metal

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1126 on: November 28, 2018, 01:40:24 AM »
SHRUG is right  :lol

Plus you can send the concept album even if you get cut.  :tup :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1127 on: November 28, 2018, 01:44:16 AM »
maybe you'd like the rest of the tetrafusion album more but also maybe not. there's like, two other songs on it i think are pretty good and the rest of it is "ehh it's fine", it's not even really a great album, but perfect silence is probably my favorite song on the EP so OH WELL

also heck no if i can't send you my concept album i'm saving the artists for puppies roulette v3 i don't got a lot left yo

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1128 on: November 28, 2018, 01:56:06 AM »
There wont be a V3 roulette from me for a while. Next year is going to be super busy for me, so it's unlikely to happen until 2020 at the soonest. Unless I get the overwhelming itch to do another one before then......
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1129 on: November 28, 2018, 10:02:58 AM »
Wow!  I'm pretty surprised (in a good way) by how my EP did.  Although now I'm thinking I should have saved that Enchant album to send on its own.  At Death's Door is in the middle of the album so I didn't think it would be much of an issue to put it in the middle of the EP, though when others were talking about editing files and stuff I did think that it might be good to edit that fade out a little.  I agree that Votum is not as good as Katatonia, but then no one is, so there's that. :)  That Eniac Requiem song is really cool, and so is the whole album.  I think it was just a one off kind of thing though - I don't think they ever did anything else.  Eldritch - I love that song and wanted to end with something a little heavier; it didn't feel jarring to me when I played the whole thing, but I do see where you're coming from.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (EP Round Finally Coming to an End)
« Reply #1130 on: November 28, 2018, 11:41:53 PM »
EP Results Part 4
Time to find out who lives......and who dies.....

DACUL'S SLOW AND LAZY ASS STILL MANAGED TO PUT TOGETHER THIS COLLECTION OF SONGS FOR HANGMENENG NOW GIMME THE D (aka The Jolly EP)
Sacul

Kendrick Lamar - King Kuta
Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
Talk Talk - Desire
Talk Talk - Time It's Time
Sufjan Stevens - 4th of July - Live

This is a weird EP. I'm not entirely sure how it all is supposed to fit together.

First of all, I still don't like Kendrick Lamar. He was sent in my last roulette and I hated that song. This one is better than that one, but I don't like his rapping style. The underlying music to the song is decent enough, but he just annoys me. Then there's the fact that this song sticks out on the EP like a skyscraper in Hill City, Kansas. I suppose it is catchy though. The more I hear from Sufjan Stevens the more of a mixed bag he is. I have a number of friends that really like him, like almost religiously so. I mean they almost bit my head off and gave me the most incredulous look when I asked them how the hell you are supposed to pronounce his first name. I mean what kind of name is that? And how the hell was I expected to know how to pronounce it? They all have bad taste in music though :\ Anyway, this song Chicago song doesn't really seem like anything special. The whole thing is pretty repetitive from the music to the lyrics and the song goes on for about 3 minutes too long. I mean, there's nothing on it blatantly annoying or off putting, I just don't see why this guy gets so much praise. On to Talk Talk. This vocalist sounds like he's singing with a mouth full of mashed potatoes..... I can hardly understand anything he's singing. Which is annoying and takes away from the really wonderful music they've created for these songs, especially on Desire. The build up of music in the first half is nothing short of brilliant. Fortunately he doesn't sing very much on the song. I cant help but think if Fish or Steve Hogarth were singing on this it would be 10 times better. The Time it's Time song has a lot more of an 80's groove to it, but the music is still fairly captivating. Unfortunately he sings more on this song. At least he sings better on this one too. If only this band were more self aware of the vocals....They have tons of great musical ideas and a good atmosphere to their music, spoiled by the vocals. Ok, so 4th of July. This song is quite the depressing ending. I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. The song is quite emotional. It's also a much more engaging song than Chicago, even in it's simplicity. This kind of stuff I get, but you really have to be in the right frame of mind to really enjoy it.

Overall this is a very mixed bag. There's parts of songs I like, then songs that I very much dislike. Then there's 4th of July, which is the best song here. The flow is a mixed bag too.

12.9 (EP Score) + 2.5 (Flow Score) = 15.4 Total

STOP THE CLOCKS!
Stadler

The Road's Too Long - Cinderella
Time Waits (For No One) - Michael Schenker Group
I'm Outta Time - Oasis
Hourglass - Squeeze
Time Passes - Kelly Keagy

You know, I was never a big fan of Butt Rock (hair/glam metal :biggrin:), so putting a 6 minute song by a Hair Metal band is a pretty ballsy move. Cinderella was always one of my least favorite of that style of music. This song though is actually pretty good. It's got some good variety with some uncommon instrumentation for the type of music that keeps it interesting. The lyrics also tell a decent coming of age story. Nothing too cheesy here, just some heartfelt lyrics (More on all the songs lyrics later). It does go on a little too long, but not by much. Time Waits (For No One) is another pretty good song. I've always liked Michael Schenker's guitar work. I enjoyed his stuff on the couple Scorpions albums he played on, but never really delved further in to his solo stuff. This is as good of a starting point as any I suppose. I don't particularly care for the vocalist, but he isn't terrible. The star of the song is (obviously) Schenker with some solid riffs and solos. On to Oasis. This is a band that I'm very familiar with just one album, (What's the Story) Morning Glory. I love that album. It played a huge part in my childhood, being 10 when it came out. I know every song on it like the back of my hand, but I never ventured further in to their catalog. This song is a bit different. Perhaps a little more straightforward. A little more tightly constructed. It's still obviously Oasis. You still have the signature Brit-Pop Rock sound with some light Psychedelic influence. I don't think it quite reaches the levels of most of the stuff on Morning Glory, but I don't think any other Oasis could, that album is so ingrained in my brain. Hourglass is where the wheels come off for the EP. This song encapsulates pretty much everything I cant stand about 80's music. Bad use of what I'm pretty sure is a sax, annoyingly bad chorus, Huey Lewis & the News-like sound, I could go on and on. So lets move on. The Kelly Keagy song tries to right the ship. I'm familiar with Kelly Keagy being the drummer of Night Ranger. My parents were huge Night Ranger fans being from the bay area and liked to catch their shows all the time. I actually met Kelly Keagy once at a Night Ranger show years ago, along with the rest of the band. This is probably the best song here though. Nothing too complex just a great tune, with more good lyrics.

Now on to the lyrics. Everything either reminds me of the good times I had in my childhood or the trials and victories I had growing up. It was kind of like taking a trip down memory lane. Obviously it's all helped by lyrics that deal with those subjects in pretty much every song. Thanks for helping me recall lots of great memories from way back in the day  :tup
The flow here is actually pretty good, nothing too jarring or out of place with the exception of the Squeeze song. I kind of wish that was exchanged for something else. Oh well. That song hurt the overall score. Also the production disparity of the MSG song from the rest was noticeable.

14.1 (EP Score) + 3.5 (Flow Score) + .5 (bonus song) = 18.1

Dream Theater
TAC

Distant Dream - Images
Ashes of Chaos - Awake
Oliver Riz - Scenes from a Memory
Flamenhell - Systematic Chaos
Anton Ivanykin - Falling into Infinity

So at least one, maybe two, of these songs I'm pretty sure you pulled out of thin air to fit the theme you came up with :lol That's ok, because I actually enjoyed every song here, regardless of how you decided on them.

Images is a really cool Post-Rock track and a great way to start the EP. When I looked it up on RYM, I was surprised at the low rating this album has. Is the rest of this album that terrible? Cause this song is good! I mean the second half has that soul rending guitar solo, how do you not like that? Sure, it has some pretty cookie cutter Post-Rock riffing and progressions and they may not have the most original sound, but they wrap it all in a nice atmosphere. Just an all around good track. Awake is the "epic" of the EP. It's pretty standard Progressive Metal and the singing isn't the greatest (neither are the harsh vocals), but there's a lot to like here too. The guitar riffing immediately caught my attention. I like what they are doing with the guitars and drums in the odd time signatures. The instrumental break starting around the 4 minutes mark is classic Dream Theater. Everyone gets a space to show off a bit and they all get to play off each other. It doesn't exactly flow with the rest of the song though. There's also a few moments of disjointedness. I could see these guys pulling out a much better sophomore album. Hopefully they are working on something....with a different vocalist. So next we come to the song that you pulled out of your ass :D This actually works as a perfect segue between the first and second halves of the EP. I love piano driven instrumentals like this as long as they don't go on too long. Systematic Chaos picks things back up with some heavy riffing and blast beats in a tasty Death/Thrash package. Death/Thrash is one of my favorite metal subgenre mashups, right up there with Progressive Black Metal and a few others. These guys seem to be relatively unknown, but if they keep up this quality of music and get a little better production they could be a force to be reckoned with. I'm definitely picking up this album. Falling Into Infinity is probably my favorite song here. I have no idea how you found this song or if you knew of this guy before, but I couldn't find any info on him, but good lord can he shred the crap out of that guitar. He makes it sing, cry, shred, melt faces. He's got a little bit of prog, technical metal, jazz, blues, Satriani/Vai shred. It's really that good.

The flow is a bit all over the place, but nothing too terrible. It could have benefited from some editing of the tracks. Other than that, every song was individually enjoyable to one extent or another. I'll send you my version of a Dream Theater themed EP that I thought of, at some point....

16.5 (EP Score) + 3 (Flow Score) = 19.5

The Scores so Far
Romdrums - 7.7, 8.5, 8.7, 9.5, 20.1 = 54.5
TAC - 7.6, 8, 9.1, 8.8, 19.5 = 53
Ariich - 9.5, 7, 7.8, 8, 20.2 = 52.5
Evermind - 8.2, 7.5, 8.5, 6, 21.5 = 51.7
Parama - 9.1, 8.7, 6.7, 8.9, 17.7 = 51.1
Jingle - 8.3, 6, 8, 7.7, 19.9 = 49.9
Lethean - 6.8, 7.8, 6.6, 6.8, 21.7 = 49.7
Kattelox - 9, 9, 9, 6.8, 15.5 = 49.3
Elite - 7.8, 7.4, 8.3, 9, 16.2 = 48.7
Sacul - 8.5, 8.5, 5.9, 8.4, 15.4 = 46.7
Indiscipline - 7.5, 8, 5.8, 7, 18.1 = 46.4
Stadler - 6.4, 7, 6, 6.5, 18.1 = 44
Shadow Ninja - 5.5
Lordcost - 4.5

Thanks to Sacul, Indiscipline, and Stadler for participating. Sorry to see you all go, but someone has to die so the others can live on  :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:11:26 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1131 on: November 28, 2018, 11:45:42 PM »
only fell one spot in the standings at the end of the day, haha, not too bad then
i have like, my next three albums all ready but i'm gonna give them to you as we go

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1132 on: November 28, 2018, 11:47:47 PM »
only fell one spot in the standings at the end of the day, haha, not too bad then
i have like, my next three albums all ready but i'm gonna give them to you as we go
Poor Kat fell from 2nd to 8th  :-\
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1133 on: November 28, 2018, 11:52:14 PM »
sent for round 6  :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1134 on: November 29, 2018, 12:16:14 AM »
Sent :)  I expected to get cut after this round, so I'm pretty excited that the EP did so well.  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1135 on: November 29, 2018, 12:33:09 AM »
when are the next eliminations anyways?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1136 on: November 29, 2018, 01:08:38 AM »
After the Greatest Hits Round three more will be going home :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: November 29, 2018, 01:10:57 AM »
Wait what, I'm still in? In the fourth place too? Better start thinking about the next album then. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1138 on: November 29, 2018, 05:03:49 AM »
I'll take it.  4th place that round, and now working on a buffer from the next cut line.

Gonna take what I think is a big risk this round.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1139 on: November 29, 2018, 05:57:03 AM »
I moved up a spot! Now if romdrums can get himself banned, I can take over the lead! :D

I really like the Ashes Of Chaos album. I bought it a few months ago. I think the vocalist is a bit odd, but I think it adds a bit of character.

Sent some more harsh vocals.  :xbones
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:12:40 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1140 on: November 29, 2018, 06:12:46 AM »
Morituri te salutant!  :D

Thank you for having me, pal, it's been overly funny.

I think you can cope with the regret of missing on a Stevie Wonder Greatest Hits  :P

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1141 on: November 29, 2018, 07:20:37 AM »
I moved up a spot! Now if romdrums can get himself banned, I can take over the lead! :D

Sorry to disappoint you TAC.  :angel:

Sent for round 6.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1142 on: November 29, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »
Thanks for helping me recall lots of great memories from way back in the day  :tup

...but pack up your shit and get lost!   :)

Kidding.  Couple thoughts: 
 - Hourglass was the one song I wasn't comfortable with, and I think subconsciously I knew it was going to stick out like a sore thumb.  I have other songs I could have given (though I rest comfortably with the fact that I was probably out anyway).
 - If you are even a mild Oasis fan, you owe it to yourself to check out "Dig Out Your Soul", their last record, and the album from which my song came.  It's really a noticeable step up from the couple that came before.  I'm like you; I've listened to "...Morning Glory" about a brazilian times, and love it, but I find that DOYS is the one I go back to more often these days.   Really strong stuff, and if they ever DO reune, I would love it to sound like that.
 - Michael Schenker; I liked him, and the first four solo records (three with the singer you got - Gary Barden - and one with Graham Bonnet from Rainbow) held a special place in my heart.  With the help of TAC and a couple others here, I started to get into his UFO stuff, then with the recent tour (I got to see him in NYC with all four of his main singers; and got to meet Gary Barden and shoot the shit with him for a couple minutes - what a treat!) I started to get into his later stuff, and while not every singer is great, and not every song is great, his playing is really something special.   You know it's him every time, and in my opinion, AS A PLAYER he belongs on the same level as the truly great players we talk about here all the time. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1143 on: November 29, 2018, 08:19:57 AM »

Sorry to disappoint you TAC.  :angel:

Sent for round 6.

If Tim pays me enough, I'm sure I can come up with some reason or other to ban you. ;)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1144 on: November 29, 2018, 09:01:19 AM »
Thanks for helping me recall lots of great memories from way back in the day  :tup

...but pack up your shit and get lost!   :)

Exactly  :biggrin:

I'll definitely check out that Oasis album too.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Send for Round 6)
« Reply #1145 on: November 29, 2018, 09:42:57 AM »
Also take note of the update to the "banned during the roulette" list.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1146 on: November 29, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »
Seems my EP somehow annoyed you  :lol . Check Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden, lots of great buildups and not many vocals. Or Laughing Stock for something even more sparse and with less vocals. I get you about that Sufjan song, I think you'd prefer his record Age of ADZ - pretty big, complex record mixing orchestra, electronic music, pop, and more, it's wild.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1147 on: November 30, 2018, 01:06:03 PM »
Still need 4 more albums. I know Kat is supposed to send me one tonight sometime.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: November 30, 2018, 01:24:31 PM »
Ashamed to admit I'm one of these four, I had good reasons to be away from DTF today though.

Sent! Excited for another 6 coming my way.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1149 on: November 30, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
Sent for round 6, continuing the theme of sending something different every time!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1150 on: November 30, 2018, 01:58:26 PM »
I continued my space theme but I probably won't after this round

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1151 on: November 30, 2018, 07:32:48 PM »
OK, I have everyone except Elite. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1152 on: November 30, 2018, 07:38:38 PM »
You don't say!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1153 on: December 01, 2018, 01:51:49 AM »
Oh yeah nearly forgot but here's my EP link and narrative that I sent Pups.

In summary, the story is about someone who, having devoted his life to his faith, renounces it. I was actually surprised at how well a lot of the lyrics fit. :lol

The track is here: https://mega.nz/#!hWwUXIwS!1zRuK56C6CdJu35w778I_kwxNjfh_EsrlEkMXN_qpfQ

And here's the tracklist and narrative with quotes from the lyrics of each song:

The Adversary

00:00-05:20
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - A Hymn To The Morning Star

“A new world is crawling from the ashes of the old, two thousand years of guilt and fear and the greatest lie ever told.”
“He steps from the shadow, and he opens up his eyes.”
“I am the adversary and must remain the adversary.”

In which our character, who has devoted his whole life to his faith, comes to enlightenment and realises that it was all a lie. He pledges to be the Adversary and stand up to the lies.

05:20-08:40
Dissona - Outside the Skin

“Emerging before another kind of dawn.”
“I know this more than myself.”
“With no need to be anything outside of the skin.”

In which our character, freed from the shackles of religion, realises how little he knows himself, having always relied on the external guidance of his faith. He determines that he no longer needs anything more than himself, and that the time has come to learn who he is.

08:40-13:30
Ghost Brigade - Departures

“I am sorry I couldn't stay.”
“Screaming worth a lifetime with a voice of a follower, always too soon, always too late.”
“If only I knew how to forgive, if only I knew how to let go, if only I knew how to own what I am.”

In which our character looks back with regret on the fact that he couldn’t reconcile his faith with knowing himself. He no longer feels angry with his god and his church, but he cannot forgive either. He must move on with his life.

13:30-20:10
Dog Fashion Disco - End of the Road

“A wise man once said "Life's just a ride", only illusion, only a ride.”
“I feel that pale death creeping in, this must be the dead end of the road.”
“The last midnight, the last sunrise, the last song.”

In which our character learns that a fatal sickness has struck him, and he only has days to live. At first he is melancholy, almost accepting. But he becomes angry upon realising his last days are almost upon him, and he never had the chance to truly live because he had devoted all of himself to the church.

20:10-29:11
Dissona - Totality

“Our purpose, our substance, our existence has been taken from us.”
“Grown within the ground we stand in a long defeated land, we are rooted deep within a vile calamity.”
“Burning light has gone away, our bodies have been betrayed.”

In which our character becomes the Adversary. Furious at his church and at god for taking everything from him, and for keeping those of faith trapped in a state of prisonous slumber, he spends his last days spreading the truth of this vile calamity, until at last his body betrays him and everything comes to an end.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1154 on: December 01, 2018, 11:10:29 AM »
Just started working on my concept album. Finally settled on a concept.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol