Author Topic: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Jingle & Kat Bonus Round...spoiler...Jingle wins)  (Read 112111 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (EP Hangmemememe Part A, B, C, & D Live!!)
« Reply #1085 on: November 23, 2018, 06:51:36 PM »
4th of July is such a jolly and upbeat song, i agree  :lol
my writeup is in the file i posted

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1086 on: November 24, 2018, 12:17:38 PM »
:lol that particular rendition has more of a life-affirming tone and an amazing buildup at the end so it kinda fit.

Also results when  :corn

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1087 on: November 24, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »
:lol that particular rendition has more of a life-affirming tone and an amazing buildup at the end so it kinda fit.

Also results when  :corn
Today I hope. I got distracted by family and drinking Port last night (lots of Port)  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1088 on: November 24, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »
Part 1 EP Results

Experiments In Groove and Impossible Combinations
Elite

1. Fair to Midland - Dance of the Manatee (from 'Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times is True', 2007)
2. Cardiacs - Eat it Up Worms Hero (from 'Sing to God', 1996)
3. Dagoba - Face the Colossus (from 'Face the Colossus', 2008)
4. Blood Stain Child - Stargazer (from 'Epsilon', 2011)
5. Mechanical Poet - Bogie in a Coal Hole (from 'Woodland Prattlers', 2004)
6. Dagoba - The Crash (from 'Face the Colossus', 2008)
7. Enochian Theory - The Fire Around the Lotus (from 'Evolution: Creatio Ex Nihilio', 2009)

This EP starts off quick and excellently with Dance of the Manatee. With catchy singing and great use of multiple vocal styles, it keeps the song interesting and a fun one to come back to again and again. I have heard Fair to Midland before, but just random songs here and there. This song does sound familiar, so i may have heard it before, but I didn't remember most of it. This is easily the best song on the EP in my opinion. Next is Cardiacs.....again.....ugh....I will say this song is light years better than any song on the Cardiacs album I was sent in the first round. The instrumentation is much more interesting. There's also a fair amount of differing vocal styles here. My problem with this is everything is used in the wrong places. You have vocal styles that don't mix well with the music or vice-versa. Thankfully it's short. Next is Dagoba's Face the Colossus, which is some sort of Industrial influenced Groove metal. I'm not a big fan of either of those genres. Bands in those realms all tend to sound the same, have the same vocals, the same guitar riffing, etc. There is some pretty cool lead guitar stuff, but it only shows up rarely. The Blood Stain Child song was a fun match up of Metal and Trance, so Trance Metal. It's cheesy as hell, but a fun and bouncy listen, at least. It kind of makes you want to dance. The vocalist isn't the greatest (she sounds a little bored), but she gets the job done. I don't think I could listen to a whole album of this, but this song works well. The Mechanical Poet song reminds me of another band, but I cant quite put my finger on it. The song is musically ok, but I don't like the vocalist very much. He can take a hike. There's some interesting use of different time signatures that sound pretty cool, but overall the song feels kind of lackluster. We get another Dagoba song next, see my comments above, nothing is really changed here except there isn't really any interesting lead guitar parts. It definitely doesn't have any business being almost 7 minutes long...The last song from Enochian Theory start off really well, with some great violin and clean vocals, but things go downhill from there. The harsh vocals aren't good and the pacing has all kinds of issues. Again, another song that overstays it's welcome.

The flow of this EP actually works decently well, even though you have a varying amount of styles of metal here, some good some bad. You did a fairly good job of stitching most of the songs together too.

13.2 (EP Score) + 3 (flow score) = 16.2 total

The Adversary
Ariich

1. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - A Hymn To The Morning Star
2. Dissona - Outside the Skin
3. Ghost Brigade - Departures
4. Dog Fashion Disco - End of the Road
5. Dissona - Totality

I'll come out and say it, this EP is one of the most coherent story-wise I have received in either of my roulette's. Although I think the story can be interpreted slightly different than how you did in the PM you sent me. I took it more as the main character being, not necessarily the antagonist, but one who was woefully deceived by his own thinking. Especially towards the end of the EP. He is struck with an illness because he became the adversary. He basically declared war on the god he once served and was struck down for it. Either way it's a pretty dark story, how ever you want to interpret it and in the end it all fits lyrically.

On to the music and individual songs. The songs all flow extremely well. I almost didn't notice the first transition on my first listen it was so smooth. Those first two songs are so good and work really well together, even though they have a very different feel to them. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum sounds like they have quite a bit of an eclectic sound and fit in to the experimental/avant-garde realm of music. This song really helps set the dark mood of the EP. The next transition in to Departures is also very good. Unfortunately this song doesn't quite live up to the quality of the first two. To me it ends up sounding a little too much like generic rock music throughout most of the song. End of the Road picks up the quality again. This song goes through quite a few changes. It starts with a cool folky/bluegrass vibe, which transitions super smoothly in to a jazzy noir-like tune. The second half goes to a more sludge/stoner metal vibe. This is definitely a band that I want to look in to further. The EP ends with Totality, which is a fitting end to the EP. It gives closure to the story and actually works well musically as a closer. It has an epic vibe to it.

As far as flow goes, this EP is up there. Considering how the lyrics of each song ties together so nicely and how the songs all flow from one to the next seamlessly, I cant give this anything but high marks on flow.

15.2 (ep score) + 5 (flow points) = 20.2 total

Reach Out for the Skies
Evermind

1. Be'lakor - Venator
2. Be'lakor - From Scythe to Sceptre
3. Bauda - Ocaso
4. Countless Skies - Daybreak
5. Skein - Rapier
6. Countless Skies - Wanderer

Even though you say you didn't put as much in to this EP as you did the last one you sent me, this is still top notch stuff. The write up you did in book blurb form was cool. It sounds like a book I would like to read (better get started writing, I expect a full novel by the end of next year :D).

This EP begins with 2 Belakor songs which, being back to back songs on the same album, flow well, even though they are 2 very distinct songs. Venator sets up the EP both story wise and musically. It's a great Melodic Death Metal track. From Scythe to Scepter continues the Melodeath goodness. There's even some Pop sensibilities here, which makes the songs catchy and memorable. There's some definite Opeth and Insomnium vibes too. I think I have found a new Melodic Death Metal band to dig in to after this roulette is over. Ocaso works as a great interlude track. I really like the flute along with the acoustic guitar. It's a cool atmospheric little track and a nice breather from the Metal before and after it. The first of two Countless Skies songs is next with Daybreak. The lyrics are a little corny, but the music more than makes up for it. There's a cool underlying rhythm in the song that just works for me. I also like the variation of clean and harsh vocals, even though neither is technically very good, but work well enough for the song. They also pack a lot of cool ideas in to the song. The acoustic bit that starts a about the halfway part in to the subsequent guitar solo is really reminiscent of Agalloch. The Skein song is probably the most different from everything else on the EP. It's very ballad like in the beginning. The lyrics work well with the story. The song slowly builds up and starts to take on a more alternative rock/post hardcore/emo sound. The song finally crescendos in the last couple minutes and takes on a fairly majestic almost triumphant tone, but at the same time bittersweet. I like the way this song flows in to the final track, Wanderer. This wraps up the story. I feel like it's almost a twist ending. I kind of have an idea in my head of how it all plays out, but it would take me way too long to type it all out here. Anyway, this song is really good. I like both the heavy and lighter parts. The way the song flows from one section to the next. The lyrics are really good, especially compared to the other Countless Skies song here, they are just vague enough to let the listener decide how the story ends.

The flow is mostly really good. The production is just different enough between artists to be noticeable though, which can be a little jarring. Nothing too bad though. The story works, with lyrics just vague enough to be interpreted in a variety of ways.

17.5 (EP Score) + 4 (flow score) = 21.5 Total
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (EP Results Part 1)
« Reply #1089 on: November 24, 2018, 04:11:38 PM »
congrats ev

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1090 on: November 24, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »
Alright, that was it for me then....

The initial draft of the EP contained two Fair to Midland songs and one song by Dagoba (the first one). Maybe I should have sent that, thiugh I don’t think it wiuld have saved me. You might actually like the FtM album, so there’s that.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1091 on: November 24, 2018, 04:23:30 PM »

The initial draft of the EP contained two Fair to Midland songs and one song by Dagoba (the first one). Maybe I should have sent that, thiugh I don’t think it wiuld have saved me. You might actually like the FtM album, so there’s that.
You definitely aren't out yet. I haven't added up all the scores, so I don't know who it getting cut yet.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1092 on: November 24, 2018, 04:38:27 PM »
Oh hell yeah I could still get a score of like, 10 overall  :metal

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1093 on: November 24, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »
That's certainly a possibility :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: November 24, 2018, 05:09:52 PM »
Going out with a bang, nice. Glad you enjoyed it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1095 on: November 25, 2018, 01:51:09 PM »
Still working on these write ups. Keep getting distracted with family in town.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1096 on: November 25, 2018, 02:28:21 PM »
Still working on these write ups. Keep getting distracted with family in town.

WE'RE FAMILY TOO!!!   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1097 on: November 25, 2018, 02:29:20 PM »
the gods of metal are disappointed in you, puppies. you've turned your back on your TRUE family (your collection of EPs)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1098 on: November 25, 2018, 02:55:21 PM »
Cool, glad you liked it! To respond to a few specifics:

I'll come out and say it, this EP is one of the most coherent story-wise I have received in either of my roulette's. Although I think the story can be interpreted slightly different than how you did in the PM you sent me. I took it more as the main character being, not necessarily the antagonist, but one who was woefully deceived by his own thinking. Especially towards the end of the EP. He is struck with an illness because he became the adversary. He basically declared war on the god he once served and was struck down for it. Either way it's a pretty dark story, how ever you want to interpret it and in the end it all fits lyrically.
I don't think that's different to what I articulated and in fact I intentionally wanted to leave it open to interpretation (mainly because as an agnostic I don't naturally come down on any strong view myself regarding religion, crisis of faith etc). My narrative was meant to just about what is going on in the character's thoughts/feelings. But I'm really glad the concept worked well enough that you wanted to interpret it further, which is super pleasing!

On to the music and individual songs. The songs all flow extremely well. I almost didn't notice the first transition on my first listen it was so smooth. Those first two songs are so good and work really well together, even though they have a very different feel to them.
Awesome, yeah I don't think anything will top my Insomnium/Amorphis transition in my EP for Elite's roulette, but I was pleased with this one as the two tracks lent themselves well to it.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum sounds like they have quite a bit of an eclectic sound and fit in to the experimental/avant-garde realm of music.
Definitely, which is why everyone thought the other Rich sent it. If I'm honest a lot of their stuff is pretty out there, more so than I'd normally dig, but this particular album is fantastic and I can't really explain why.

The next transition in to Departures is also very good. Unfortunately this song doesn't quite live up to the quality of the first two. To me it ends up sounding a little too much like generic rock music throughout most of the song.
For sure, I thought you might find this one less interesting (although I do think you'll probably enjoy the band), but I wanted to include it because 1. it fit the narrative really well, and 2. I still love it.

End of the Road picks up the quality again. This song goes through quite a few changes. It starts with a cool folky/bluegrass vibe, which transitions super smoothly in to a jazzy noir-like tune. The second half goes to a more sludge/stoner metal vibe. This is definitely a band that I want to look in to further.
Yeah Dog Fashion Disco are pretty quirky too (again why people thought Elite sent it). Hard to say how much you'll like them but I think they're rather excellent. All their albums from Committed to a Bright Future onwards are really solid (except Experiments in Embryos which is reworkings of older songs as isn't that interesting).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:18:48 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1099 on: November 25, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »
EP Results Part 2

I Want You To Hurt Like I Do - An Aural Bandage for a Wounded Heart
Kattelox

1. Randy Newman - I Want You To Hurt Like I Do
2. Chroma Key - Another Permanent Address
3. Randy Newman - I Think It's Going To Rain Today
4. Kings of Leon - Pyro
5. Sonata Arctica - Shamandalie
6. Sonata Arctica - Paid In Full
7. Tom Waits - Martha

I have very mixed feelings about this EP. There are songs I really like and ones I really don't. Then there's a couple that there was 1 or 2 aspects that I thought were terrible when the rest of the song was really good.

It start with Randy Newman (I usually always think about the Family Guy parody of him when I see his name). I Want You To Hurt Like I Do is a pretty messed up song. The lyrics make him sound like a sociopath. I like the music and melodies, but the lyrics make me cringe a bit. Another Permanent Address picks up the EP though. I am somewhat familiar with Chroma Key. I've heard a few songs here and there. I've always like Kevin Moore's style of vocals. They are especially fitting with the type of music he does. The lyrics are really interesting too. If this EP is intended to be a story about a guy who left his wife and kids (which I think it is), this song works really well following the Randy Newman song. He seems to be wandering aimlessly not sure what to do with himself after leaving. It's a good song. I Think It's Going To Rain Today is next. This song has problems. The lyrics are pretty good, but the vocals are not. The musical ideas are good, but the execution and production is terrible. This continues the story with the guy feeling depression coming over him. I like the Kings of Leon song that's next. I've always enjoyed what this band does (the few songs I've heard). They have a unique style and unique vocals. This carries the story forward with the guy snapping and basically turning in to an emotionless person. Which I guess is fitting since we established the guy is a sociopath in the first song. The two Sonata Arctica songs work really well fleshing out the story that I've been making of this. Lyrically they are both really good, especially for a power metal band. They show why our "protagonist" ended things with his wife and then him coming to accept his life since that day many years later. I was confused by the last part of Shamandalie at first. It completely destroyed the flow, but then I remembered what you wrote in your PM you sent to ignore the last third of the song, since it's some kind of bonus song thing (gotta edit that stuff out in Audacity :P). Paid in Full is the most upbeat song on the EP. The music is a little repetitive, but it's a decent song overall. The Tom Waits song has our protagonist trying to reconnect with his former wife decades later. I don't get Tim Waits. I like the lyrics and piano, but the dude cant sing and I don't like his style of singing.

The flow sort of works here. The songs all do interconnect in to a story. Even if it's mostly fabricated in my mind :lol The second Sonata Arctica song doesn't quite fit stylistically to me. Randy Newman mostly doesn't work for me. I get what you were trying to do with the EP, it just kind of fell a little flat for me.

13 (EP Score) + 2.5 (Flow Score) = 15.5 Total

No Wonder I Am Focked Up
Indiscipline

1. Ronnie Montrose - Town without Pity
2. Funkadelic - Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock!
3. Brand X - Earth Dance
4. UK - In The Dead of Night
5. Area - Il Bandito del Deserto
6. Rory Gallagher - Overnight Bag
7. Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkaways

Having gone with songs exclusively from your birth year, this is a lot of old school Rock, with some jaunts over in to some prog. I suspect you might have selected different songs if the bands hadn't been on my banned list, but what is here is actually quite intriguing. The on;y band here that I know I've heard before is UK. I have their other album the one with Terry Bozzio on drums. I've heard of Montrose and Gary Moore, but I couldn't tell you if I've heard one of their songs.

The Montrose song is a cool guitar led instrumental and works as a great intro (you really like those instrumentals). Funkadelic comes in and is a groovy funky Funk-Rock song. The guitarist (whoever he is) is just going off the entire song, just soloing the crap out of the whole 6 minutes basically. The underlying rhythm sections don't really deviate much, which may be the only bad part of the song. The lyrics do tend to get a bit repetitive, but that can be overlooked here. The Brand X song is up next and we are back to more Jazz Fusion. So this is what Phil Collins was doing outside of Genesis. I had no idea. That drum groove throughout the song is quite infectious and groovy as hell. Lots of other percussion all over this track as well. The bass player definitely tries to keep up. He's laying down some nice bass licks. I really like the UK song here and it's much more enjoyable than a lot of the stuff on their other album. I think a lot of that has to do with Bill Bruford (who makes another return in this roulette along with John Wetton, last roulette it was Michael Kiske who kept rearing his ugly head :lol). I enjoy Bruford's style so much more than Bozzio's. Bill Bruford and Neil Peart were the two drummers that made me want to start playing drums over 20 years ago. The Area song sure is something. It's got a cool groove. That bass line is soooo goooood. The vocals are not really my thing though. Thankfully they don't take up much space in the song. It's mostly a cool instrumental song with lots of layers and instruments. I like when bands throw in tons of instruments and is able to make it sound coherent. Overnight Bag is a change of pace with some Bluesy Rock. There's a lot of recurring musicians between submissions. You have Ted McKenna on drums here, who is also the drummer on the MSG song Stadler sent. I have a love/hate relationship with Blues rock. This falls on the love side. It's a great song. To wrap things up we have Gary Moore, with a slower more delicate bluesy ballad. You have the crying guitar solos and some great atmosphere created by the keyboards. I don't like the fade out at the end, I don't get any closure to finish out the EP.

Overall it's a good EP with many things to enjoy and a few things that I don't like. The flow is pretty good from song to song. The one thing that bothered me throughout the entire EP was the sound quality. I listened to a few of the individual tracks on Google Music and the sound quality is way better. Something must have happened when you did some editing and converted this to a single track.

14.6 (EP Score) + 3.5 (Flow Score) = 18.1 Total

It's Deja Vu All Over Again
Jingle

Primal Fear - Unbreakable (Part 1)
Eden's Curse - Unbreakable
Masqued - Broken
InnerWish - Broken
Hardline - Human Nature
Manimal - Human Nature
Hemina - Soulmates
Nation Beyond - Soulmates

This is an interesting concept and a Yogi Berra quote for the EP title.

I like the idea of using a specifically made intro track for an EP, such as Unbreakable (Part 1). Unfortunately it doesn't quite flow in to Unbreakable (Eden's Curse). No matter the Eden's Curse song is good. It's a cool faster tempo, upbeat, major chord, Heavy metal song. It's got fun sing along parts, good guitar solos, and a cool guitar rhythm. This actually flows really well in to Broken by Masqued, which is a more Symphonic leaning Metal track. There are a lot of problems with this song. I don't particularly like either the male or female vocals here. The lyrics are kind of lame. For the most part the instrumentation is pretty good, but the song as a whole just doesn't work very well for me. The Innerwish song is much better, with some good Power Metal. The vocalist kind of sounds like Russell Allen at times and maybe a bit of Tom Englund. He doesn't seem to have the same range as Allen though, but his voice is still enjoyable. The song is actually fairly straight forward Power Metal, but it's well written with lyrics that fit the mood of the music. Next are the two Human Nature songs by Hardline and Manimal respectively. The Hardline song is a very enjoyable ballad-like Hard Rock song. Kind of similar to what Journey does. The guitar solo is short, but sweet. Manimals song is more Heavy Metal with some Power and Prog leanings. The vocalist is like the love child of Dio and Geoff Tate. He definitely gets those early Queensryche soaring screams down pat. There's lots to like here besides the vocals too. The guitar riffing is really good. There's some great solos. The whole attitude of the song is perfect too. This is definitely the opposite end of the spectrum from the Hardline song. Then we get Soulmates by Hemina, which starts off back towards the more ballady end of the spectrum. I really like the duet vocals here, both do a great job and the lyrics are actually fairly touching. I like these emotionally engaging type of songs. Especially when the vocalists can make it sound convincing. There's even a fantastic harmonized guitar solo with what sounds like keyboards? It has an interesting effect in there that sounds cool. Nation Beyond's Soulmates is the closer here. Another ballad-like duet. This one leaning more in the power metal end. This one also has really good lyrics and singing. This one I actually like the singing more than the Hemina song. The problem with this song is the production. It sounds terrible. I thought maybe the Google Music version was messed up, but I listened to it from other sources and they are all the same. It's way too "hot" and brickwalled, especially in the heavier sections. It becomes fatiguing to listen to. I actually think the flow would have been better if you swapped the two Soulmates songs.

Overall this is one of the EP's that was a real grower. It started out toward the bottom of the ranking, but slowly climbed its way up. The flow is going to take a bit of a hit here, mostly because there are some hard cuts and awkward transitions. The lyrics all seems to fit though and the theme is definitely unique as far as the whole EP round goes. The Masqued song hurt your score the most, but it's still a great EP.

16.4 (EP Score) + 3 (Flow Score) + .5 (best EP title) = 19.9 Total
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 06:08:40 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1100 on: November 25, 2018, 03:15:33 PM »
rip katt, gone but not forgotten

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (EP Results Part 2)
« Reply #1101 on: November 25, 2018, 03:23:37 PM »
just end my suffering

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1102 on: November 25, 2018, 03:29:52 PM »
just end my suffering
Where's the fun in that  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1103 on: November 25, 2018, 03:34:53 PM »
dacul's ep:
0/20 worst EP i've ever heard

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: November 25, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »
Totally fair comments.  Can't argue with the 'flow' marks - I don't have the skills or software to fade in/out, and/or trim music files to make the transitions smoother.  They were what they were.  I was focusing more on the theme, and good quality music.  I'll gladly take 16.4 on the songs themselves.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1105 on: November 25, 2018, 04:24:46 PM »
I did way better than I thought, thank you!

I am sorry about sound quality. I must have forgotten to select  320kbs when I finalised the file, and AcidPro (I'm the Encino Man, remember?) has probably operated on its default shitty rate for mp3s.

Some trivia related to things you pointed out: 1) I think Collins was already gone from Brand X in '78, but I wouldn't bet the house on it. 2) Area has been a really unique act, you may find things never heard before if you take the time to check their opus (the singer, Demetrio Stratus, was able to perform biphonia, i.e. singing two different notes almost at the same time). 3) Allan Holdsworth's solo in the UK tune is basically Trial of Tears's solo 20 years before.

Am I out?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1106 on: November 25, 2018, 06:01:43 PM »
Totally fair comments.  Can't argue with the 'flow' marks - I don't have the skills or software to fade in/out, and/or trim music files to make the transitions smoother.  They were what they were.  I was focusing more on the theme, and good quality music.  I'll gladly take 16.4 on the songs themselves.
I totally forgot to add in the half point bonus for favorite EP title. I'll fix that now.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: November 25, 2018, 08:04:39 PM »
I totally forgot to add in the half point bonus for favorite EP title. I'll fix that now.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1108 on: November 26, 2018, 06:02:14 PM »
So I was planning on wrapping up the write ups for the EP round tonight when I got home from work, but Indiscipline threw a wrench in the works of my EP for his roulette and now I have to go back to the drawing board.  :( Once I finish that I can get back to the write ups, which could still be tonight, but don't count on it....sorry. You can stone me later.  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: November 26, 2018, 06:08:03 PM »
So I was planning on wrapping up the write ups for the EP round tonight when I got home from work, but Indiscipline threw a wrench in the works of my EP for his roulette and now I have to go back to the drawing board.  :( Once I finish that I can get back to the write ups, which could still be tonight, but don't count on it....sorry. You can stone me later.  :biggrin:

Stone Indiscipline.  I'll pass everyone the rocks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1110 on: November 26, 2018, 06:10:13 PM »

I am sorry about sound quality. I must have forgotten to select  320kbs when I finalised the file, and AcidPro (I'm the Encino Man, remember?) has probably operated on its default shitty rate for mp3s.

Some trivia related to things you pointed out: 1) I think Collins was already gone from Brand X in '78, but I wouldn't bet the house on it. 2) Area has been a really unique act, you may find things never heard before if you take the time to check their opus (the singer, Demetrio Stratus, was able to perform biphonia, i.e. singing two different notes almost at the same time). 3) Allan Holdsworth's solo in the UK tune is basically Trial of Tears's solo 20 years before.

Am I out?

Collins was not gone from Brand X by '78, but he did not play on "Earth Dance"; that was Chuck Burgi (trivia:  what two other A-list drummers did he replace and in what bands?).  Phil returned, though, in '79 for the "Product" album and the two that followed, which were largely made up of outtakes from "Product".   

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1111 on: November 26, 2018, 06:14:01 PM »

Am I out?

Collins was not gone from Brand X by '78, but he did not play on "Earth Dance"; that was Chuck Burgi (trivia:  what two other A-list drummers did he replace and in what bands?).  Phil returned, though, in '79 for the "Product" album and the two that followed, which were largely made up of outtakes from "Product".
Ah, this is all good info to know, thanks  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1112 on: November 27, 2018, 02:23:33 AM »

You definitely aren't out yet. I haven't added up all the scores, so I don't know who it getting cut yet.

Oh, I was judging by the way they were ordered that I had the lowest EP score.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1113 on: November 27, 2018, 06:20:47 AM »

Stone Indiscipline.  I'll pass everyone the rocks.

Am I out?

Thanks Stadler! I was right not betting the house  :D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1114 on: November 27, 2018, 06:53:43 AM »
Since no one bit, Chuck Burgi stepped into Rainbow, a seat formerly held by Cozy Powell (though Bobby Rondinelli was in between) and  later stepped into Billy Joel's band (where he is now, I believe), a seat formerly held by long-time Joel cohort Liberty DeVito. 

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1115 on: November 27, 2018, 06:59:35 AM »
I can confirm Chuck is currently in Billy's Band. By the way, Liberty was one of the greatest "stage presence" drummers to ever grace the stage (and a workhorse in the studio).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1116 on: November 27, 2018, 09:57:28 AM »
corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1117 on: November 27, 2018, 07:25:53 PM »
Since no one bit, Chuck Burgi stepped into Rainbow, a seat formerly held by Cozy Powell (though Bobby Rondinelli was in between) and  later stepped into Billy Joel's band (where he is now, I believe), a seat formerly held by long-time Joel cohort Liberty DeVito.

I meant to bite, but I didn't figure Bobby Rondinelli as an A List drummer.

I thought Burgi was also in another major artist's band. I didn't think it was Billy Joel..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1119 on: November 27, 2018, 07:29:59 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol