Author Topic: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Jingle & Kat Bonus Round...spoiler...Jingle wins)  (Read 112054 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Sometimes the first impression is the best...)
« Reply #700 on: November 10, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »
Don't get your hopes up  :angel:

Never deprive anyone of hope... it might be all they have.
Are you livin on a prayer?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Sometimes the first impression is the best...)
« Reply #701 on: November 10, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »
Don't get your hopes up  :angel:

Never deprive anyone of hope... it might be all they have.
Are you livin on a prayer?

I'm 1/2 way there!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Round 4 Results trickling in)
« Reply #703 on: November 10, 2018, 06:36:07 PM »
Here's some results for round 4!

Tiles - Fence the Clear
Lethean
Progressive Rock
United States

(bonus point band)

First Impression - It's Rush meets Triumph.

While the Rush and Triumph (even a little Dream Theater) influences are very strong here, it does sound original for the most part. The album starts off really strong with Patterns with great guitar melodies and cool drum work, even a little jazzy at times. This continues through Another's Hand, with more great instrumental acrobatics. The album also ends on a couple of high notes with the epic Checkerboards and No Failure (which I think is a bonus track, not really sure). Checkerboards kind of going all out with the riffs and guitar solos. The biggest issue with this album is the middle. Starting with the acoustic The Wading Pool the album begins to drag big time. This song is over six minutes of the same thing basically. It really should have only lasted 3 minutes. Gameshow and Fallen Pieces are both non events. Then we come to Changing the Guard, which is another song that is way too long and repetitive for its own good. It's on par with a couple of the later Rush duds as far as being boring and repetitive, namely Working them Angels and Wish Them Well. Then Gabby's Happy Song is another acoustic interlude, non event. It's basically 20 consecutive minutes of boredom, which is about a third of the album. Take out those 20 minutes and you have a 9.5 or 10/10. The rest of the album is good enough to not tank the score too much, but it isn't enough to get you the bonus points.

7.8/10 (-1) = 6.8/10 total score

Alrakis - Echoes From η Carinae
Parama
Atmospheric Black Metal
Germany

First Impression - Too slow to be Darkspace, too fast and interesting (by far) to be NǽnøĉÿbbŒrğ VbëřřĦōlökäävsŦ

There aren't many albums in my collection that capture the cold harsh reality of outer space quite as well as this one. Sure space is beautiful (which this album also portrays subtly), but the reality is it's cold, dark, unforgiving, and won't hesitate to kill you for the slightest misstep. I'd say the other band that does something similar is Darkspace. Although they rely more on various production techniques and pure ferocious speed (more so than this) to portray outer space.

Being one long song/track I'd say the one thing that brings the score down a little is it takes about 6 minutes for anything to happen. I do understand what they were trying to accomplish though and it does build the atmosphere. The vocals come in around the 10 minute mark and are less like Darkspace and more like something Coldworld would do. Which actually works great with the space theme, the vocal style is cold and hollow, almost like someone screaming in to the void of space. The music takes a much slower approach than I was expecting, but it works really well. The whole track gives off this emotion of loneliness which further helps build this spacey atmosphere. Space is a lonely place after all.

I think what really captivates me, being an amateur astronomer, is the subject matter of this album. I have no idea what the lyrics are (I cant find any anywhere), but I can only assume they have to do with the Eta Carinae star system (hence the album name) and the event that took place back in the 1800's called the Great Eruption, which caused Eta Carinae to be one of the brightest objects in the night sky. Light from that event is still picked up as echoes or reflections off of nearby interstellar dust clouds. The light sparkly bell sounds near the middle of the track and the light, faint piano a little later remind me of what could be considered echoes of light. Considering this album took 7 years to make, it wouldn't surprise me if they went that in depth with this. All the music and effects here sounds like it was purpose built to make this song as true to the subject matter as possible and give discerning listeners something to debate about and enjoy.

The only other issue I have with the album is I wish there more moments of increased speed/tempo, it would have made the album a bit more dynamic. Either way the album is excellent and will only get better with more listens.

8.9/10

Enshine - Singularity
TAC
Melodic Death Metal
Sweden

First Impression - I was laying in bed listening to this on my headphones, I forgot my wife was in the room and I said out loud "This is really fucking good." Now, I typically don't curse and it totally caught my wife off guard :lol

More Melodic Death Metal from our resident Growl Master :D This is just high class melodeath with an intense atmospheric doomy approach that gives it a ton of character and class. There's some clean vocals that come in occasionally that work really well. The guitar solos are full of emotion and work well with the atmosphere, especially in Adrift, that is just masterful use of melody working for the song, there's another solo in In Our Mind that is similarly impressive. The harsh vocals are pretty standard Melodeath growls, not much to write home about on that front. They neither get in the way or necessarily make the album any better. The lyrics on the other hand I really enjoy. They are very spacey sci-fi lyrics, which I always enjoy. I'm not sure if it's meant to be a concept album, but the lyrics seem like they could loosely interconnect to form one coherent story. Overall the lyrics are quite enjoyable. I like the idea of putting a mellow instrumental track right in the middle of this album to bridge the first and second half. It's kind of like giving the listener a breather and a chance to reflect on what came before and what might come next. The only problems this album has is some of the songs are musically not as strong and some tracks don't differ enough from others, but when even the weakest of tracks are still pretty strong it makes for a very good album. Also the production is a little muddier than I would like, but that could just be an artistic choice to enhance the overall atmosphere. Regardless this is another strong submission from Mr. TAC.

8.8/10

Stay tuned for more results
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #704 on: November 10, 2018, 06:41:44 PM »
aww yeah back in business  :metal
i haven't started on my EP but i really need to do that like, today
and definitely check out alpha eri too, it gets started pretty much right away but it's not as balanced, that is to say, it's like 30-35 minutes of black metal and then 20 minutes of space ambient at the end, i think i like the individual songs there better than this one but i concede this is a better constructed album on the whole

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #705 on: November 10, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »
Pup, glad you liked Enshine. I LOVE that album. A couple of years before I was really entertaining growls, there was just something about this that was so captivating. I bought it straight out. An odd thing in my collection at the time, but it is just so damn cool.

Will be sending the EP tonight!

EP sent!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 07:02:57 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #706 on: November 10, 2018, 10:02:33 PM »
inquiry about banned artists sent

i actually kinda went conceptual this time & am still fitting in with my space theme, so i hope none of these are banned 'cause it's gonna be a pain to replace 'em now  :corn

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #707 on: November 10, 2018, 10:14:45 PM »
inquiry about banned artists sent

i actually kinda went conceptual this time & am still fitting in with my space theme, so i hope none of these are banned 'cause it's gonna be a pain to replace 'em now  :corn
I just PM'd you back regarding this.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #708 on: November 10, 2018, 10:21:49 PM »
you might have just changed the ending of the story in my EP, we'll see  :corn

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #709 on: November 11, 2018, 12:02:58 PM »
Pup, glad you liked Enshine. I LOVE that album. A couple of years before I was really entertaining growls, there was just something about this that was so captivating. I bought it straight out. An odd thing in my collection at the time, but it is just so damn cool.

EP sent!
This EP looks interesting.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #710 on: November 11, 2018, 12:09:36 PM »
corngif.pop
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #711 on: November 11, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »

EP sent!

Tell me you didn't laugh when you saw it. :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #712 on: November 11, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »

EP sent!

Tell me you didn't laugh when you saw it. :lol
Oh wow, I didn't even notice until now.  :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #713 on: November 11, 2018, 08:03:48 PM »
Some more random Round 4 results. :corn

Kingcrow - The Persistence
Evermind
Progressive Metal
Italy

First Impression - This didn't really impress me much, it's fairly methodical and plodding. Needs more listens I think.

This started off well enough with some cool riffing and nice keyboards, but the majority of the songs are all pretty similarly constructed. They all stay in a mid to slow tempo, don't offer any real variety, and don't stray very far from what the first track brought to the table. The vocals seem to have no life to them, the singer sounds disinterested in what he's doing or the lyrics or both. The only exception to this would be the song Night's Descending, but that's because Daniel Gildenlow is doing guest vocals here and he can make most music sound interesting. The song is still slow and doesn't do much, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if the rest of the album wasn't the same. Some variety in tempo, rhythm, some technical flourishes, wouldn't kill them would it?

The album isn't completely terrible though. Some of the tracks taken one at a time can be good, but a whole album of this gets a little boring.

6/10

Sine - Ruhepol
Kattelox
Ambient
No idea where they are from  :huh:

First Impression - Deep Forest goes straight Chillwave and doesn't know when to stop

Deep Forest like downtempo being held up by a foundation of extremely relaxed chillwave should be a recipe for success right? Well, not entirely. There are parts that are phenomenally well done. Like the opening track Wolke 7's nice guitar melody or the chilling synths in Samsara. It definitely makes for a relaxing experience in those instances. None of the songs here are particularly offensive, in fact each song taken individually is anywhere from decent to excellent. There are two major problems I have with this album, though. First, the album is far too long. If you chop about 20-25 minutes of the least quality material here, you may have a 7.5-8/10 on your hands. The second problem is the production, it is way too loud. None of the instruments have room to breathe. It starts to get a little fatiguing after about 15 minutes. Fix this issue along with the first and you have yourself a 9-9.5/10. There are tons of great ideas here; the layered use of field recordings, the use of vocals as an instrument, the brief uses of spoken word, the variety of instrumentation, the beats, etc, etc. It's just too bad they are all drowned in bad production. We aren't talking Death Magnetic levels of terrible production here, but still it could be much much better. I'd definitely be interested in hearing something else by these guys if they fix these issues.

6.8/10

Maestrick - Unpuzzle!
Jingle
Progressive Metal
Brazil

First Impression - Dream Theater meets Angra at Michael Romeo's circus

This album start off with an absolute barn burner of a track. 1 part Dream Theater, 1 part Brazilian power metal influence, with a dash of Symphony X and cheesy keyboards. Lots of fun instrumental breaks and technical playing. It's a fun song, with ridiculous lyrics (like the rest of the album, sort of like Systematic Chaos & Black Clouds and Silver Linings era Dream Theater). The rest of the album does change things up quite a bit. I have to give the band an A for experimenting with different styles of prog metal and different tempos. It doesn't always work, but for the most part they keep it interesting. Like Aquarela has some beautiful melodies, but the lyrics and vocals are super cheesy and come across as disingenuous. Pescador is an interesting change of pace for the album. I like the flute, but it doesn't really fit well in the album. The lyrics are in Portuguese, so I asked a friend of mine who is from Brazil about the lyrics and he said they don't make a lot of sense and are pretty cheesy. Anyway, the song Puzzler reminds me a lot of something Diablo Swing Orchestra or Unexpect would do and is a cool short track. The rest of the album has both ups and downs and it's the inconsistency (and super cheesy lyrics that most of the time make no sense) that keeps this from getting a higher score. The final track, Lake of Emotions, is a 20+ minute "epic". There's a lot of good ideas here, but they don't really mesh them together very well. It feels a bit disjointed. It's not a terrible track, and the good ideas sound great while they last, but it has no business being over 20 minutes long. Condense the best ideas of the track down to about 10 minutes and now we are talking.

Overall this is a band that wears their influences on their sleeves, but tries to make something of their own to stand up with their influences. Perhaps on their next album they can accomplish this better.

7.7/10

In the Presence of Wolves - Thalassas
Romdrums
Progressive Rock
United States

First Impression - Between the Buried and Me and mid era Thrice meet at a Rush concert, then make some music.

This is exactly what I have been looking for in music, and I didn't even know it. This, along with the Blue Food album, has been one of the most fun albums I've heard in a while. They take a lot of stuff from Post-Hardcore and the type of Prog Rock/Metal that Between the Buried and Me have been doing and fuse it together in to a....I don't even know what to call it, but I like it. They have a great idea of how to write memorable melodies and guitar solos. There's a lot of great bass lines, with a very late Rush era Geddy Lee bass tone and vibe, and some Rush like guitar solos (especially in the opening track). There's even some guitar solos very reminiscent of Paul Waggoner, like the solo near the end of Hypoxia. I really think if BtBaM and Rush got together and hired a post-hardcore/emo style vocalist, this is almost exactly what it would sound like. There's a lot of variety here, but it's a consistent style, with some random outbursts of creativity. The album starts off strong, but seems to get stronger as it goes on. The music pretty much speaks for itself here, there isn't much more to say about it. It's an awesome album and will get many more listens. I also have no idea how these guys aren't more well known...

9.5/10
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #714 on: November 11, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »
yeah i listened to in the presence of wolves after you played it in plug and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

also my EP might be a few days. there's a nonzero chance i'm scrapping the entire thing and starting over because i really want to send albums from two of the bands i was considering before, oops  :lol
i said i was gonna stop the space theme after this but i think i lied

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #715 on: November 11, 2018, 08:11:43 PM »
is that a good mmmmm or a bad mmmmmmmm  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #716 on: November 11, 2018, 08:12:08 PM »
are you trying to be yoda?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #717 on: November 11, 2018, 08:13:45 PM »
it's a good mmmmm

i also listened to the latest maestrick album because i bookmarked the wrong one somehow and that one just sounded like generic neo-prog but a bit louder, i didn't even make it half an hour (out of like, 80 minutes, god) but i should check out this one instead of being an idiot the song that was played in plug was cool

i probably should check out blue food too but i already have a billion things on my plate ugh

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #718 on: November 11, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »
Blue Food is great!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: November 11, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »
 :omg:

Well fudge. I agree the album is a bit too long, but I have no issues with the production. Swing and a miss - had to happen eventually! Time for the pendulum to go back the other way...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #720 on: November 11, 2018, 08:44:53 PM »
hey katt no worries i appreciate you giving the rest of us a chance to catch up  :tup
pretty sure romdrums is in the lead now though  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: November 11, 2018, 08:45:58 PM »
Well I expected Alithia to get like 6 and it got a 9 so maybe I'll send electrofunk jazz metal and get a 10

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #722 on: November 11, 2018, 08:47:18 PM »
i mean, the EP round is next, but  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: November 11, 2018, 08:51:08 PM »
I totally forgot there was even an EP round :neverusethis:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #724 on: November 11, 2018, 08:54:09 PM »
there's an EP round, a greatest hits round, and a concept album round  :corn

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #725 on: November 11, 2018, 10:43:00 PM »
there's an EP round, a greatest hits round, and a concept album round  :corn
Good luck..... :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #726 on: November 11, 2018, 10:44:33 PM »
i might be using an... unusual pick for the greatest hits round, simply for lack of anything else being available

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: November 11, 2018, 11:48:02 PM »
Nice, a 6. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #728 on: November 12, 2018, 08:43:52 AM »
Don't forget the EP round is next. If you need a little extra time getting your EP together, that's fine.  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: November 12, 2018, 09:02:52 AM »
I don't have anything prepared at all, and I'm pretty sick right now on top of it. Good times!

I'll get some songs together in a few days I suppose.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: November 12, 2018, 09:08:10 AM »
Gonna try to get mine together tonight...

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #731 on: November 12, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »
I don't have anything prepared at all, and I'm pretty sick right now on top of it. Good times!

I'll get some songs together in a few days I suppose.
That's fine. I've been sick the last couple days as well. It sucks.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lethean

« Reply #732 on: November 12, 2018, 07:51:23 PM »
I thought I was the only one who would be late.  Starting to work on it a little tonight and will hopefully not be the last one to send.

Puppies, any chance you could update the "artists banned during this roulette" section on page 1?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: November 12, 2018, 08:18:17 PM »
I'm still putting mine together... might just say screw it and send it before I go to bed tonight because I don't want to be too late.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #734 on: November 12, 2018, 08:36:18 PM »
I thought I was the only one who would be late.  Starting to work on it a little tonight and will hopefully not be the last one to send.

Puppies, any chance you could update the "artists banned during this roulette" section on page 1?
Yeah, I'll do that in a bit. I need to post the remaining results for round 4 still too.
aka Puppies_On_Acid