Author Topic: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Jingle & Kat Bonus Round...spoiler...Jingle wins)  (Read 113174 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Prelim Results Part 2 They're Here!!!!)
« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »
So a couple of you will be extremely pleased and a couple will be going home with nothing but a participation trophy :neverusethis:  :'(
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Prelim Results Part 2 They're Here!!!!)
« Reply #281 on: October 13, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »
trophy me up  :metal except i'm safe in the prelims not that it matters since you cut literally 2 people at most so
at the very least i don't think you'd hate mithras that much and i don't see which of the other albums the guitar tone comment could be about anyways  :lol

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Prelim Results Part 3 Coming at you!!1!)
« Reply #282 on: October 13, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »
Prelim Round Result part 3

Blue Food - Engines
Ariich

Jazz-Funk
United States

First Impression - Most songs here got a HOLY CRAP reaction from me. A couple got a meh..... Needs more listens to digest in full.

This album is slick as hell. You mentioned getting in to these guys at the same time as Thank You Scientist. I can see why. There are a lot of similarities, with the exception of Thank You Scientist being more Prog Metal and this being more Jazz-Funk. The underlying progressions and the use of horns is very similar.

I was absolutely floored when I first listened to this album. I was not expecting anything like this. Everything about this I love. The instrumentation is superb and I've always loved horns like this in my music, which is part of the reason I love Thank You Scientist and Chicago so much. There's slick guitar solos, fantastic drumming, a bass player who keeps things interesting throughout, and the vocals fit the music perfectly. These guys seem to have a lot of influences from James Brown, to Jojo Meyer, to various jazz, reggae, and metal acts. They even throw in some random blast beats. Every song is engaging and fresh, nothing seems forced or out of place. And even though I said a couple songs got a bit of a meh reaction out of me on first listen, after multiple listens everything sounds fantastic. The only knock on it is Engine of the World goes on a little too long.

Thanks for sending this, this is something that will scratch the Funk itch I have. Also enjoy taking first place right out of the gates!

Favorite Songs - Tête-À-Tête, Blizzard in a Sphere, Boogiemen
Least Favorite - Engine of the World i guess

9.5/10

Mithras - On Strange Loops
Parama

Technical Death Metal
England

First Impression - That's a sweet guitar tone. Impressive.

Heavy, dense, atmospheric. But not so heavy that it loses any dynamics. And not so dense that everything is just crushed under a wall of noise. The spacey atmosphere is very well done and really draws me in. It's very similar to what Darkspace does. I suppose this band could be considered the Death Metal version of Darkspace. What really helps with the sound is the guitar tone on the leads. It has this very open spacey tone and helps to create the atmosphere that I love. I also like how the solos are just mindless shredding. They have an emotional melodic quality to them, something that most tech death bands have a problem achieving. I like the way the music goes from a quieter clean melody and then builds and builds to an epic crushing climax or adds layer upon layer until it's crushing beauty completely surrounds you. It's like an emotional ebb and flow. Odyssey's End is a good example of this.

Even though the guitars are probably my favorite part of the instrumentation here, the drums and bass keep pace very well too. And the vocals are very unique in the tech death world. The run from Odyssey's End thru Time Never Lasts has tons of great examples of great drumming and vocal work. Like the machine gun like precision start/stop of the double bass in Howling of the Distant Spaces. The desperation in the the vocals of the same track also fit the lyrics really well. Speaking of lyrics, this album comes across as a concept album to me. The concept seems to be pretty much spelled out in the opening track, but builds to several different themes throughout the album and the lyrics are well written.

This is an incredibly well put together album. Everything about it is unique and I don't think there is another band out there that really sounds like this, especially in the Tech Death arena. The only exception that would be close is Darkspace, but that's only in the way this album uses spacey atmosphere. Plus Darkspace is Atmospheric Black Metal. Everything here is carefully constructed and I think I understand why it took them 9 years to do this album.

Favorite songs - When the Stars Align, Odyssey's End
Least favorite - there isn't really any weak songs here or ones that I don't like. So NO

9.1/10

The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave
Shadow Ninja

Contemporary Folk
Sweden

First impression - Serious Bob Dylan vibes here, which isn't exactly a good thing. The production and vocals are fairly bad in places.

After my first listen I was prepared to give this album a 4 and almost rule 6'd it out of the roulette. The Bob Dylan-isms, the bad production and the vocals are really bad in places. Something happened after I decided to give it one more chance. The actual song writing and lyrics caught my attention. Just like Bob Dylan, this guy is a good song writer and has some great lyricism and that aspect really started to grow on me. The problem is he should have stopped at just copying Dylan's song writing style and lyrics. Instead he utilizes the Dylan-esque bad singing too. To me it's not endearing, it's technically just wrong and makes me cringe. Where Do My Bluebird Fly is a good example of cringe worthy singing. Then the piss poor production is just annoying. There's a constant hissing in the background. It gets super static-y when he sings louder. And for an acoustic folk album it's weirdly brickwalled, there seems to be no dynamics. I mean the song Shallow Grave sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom with a potato for a microphone.... The production is what really kills it. I simply don't like poor production in stuff like this. There are certain genre's that should never have bad production.

Sorry for kind of ripping an album you enjoy a new one, but I have to be brutally honest here. And I will have to cut you here. Thanks for joining the roulette.

5.5/10

Cardiacs - On Land and in the Sea
LordCost

Art Punk
England

First Impression - Not sure how to classify this or how to feel about it. Needs more listens for sure.

OK, I really really tried. I think I just don't get it. The majority of the songs here either seem to try to sound like circus music or try to be as annoying as possible. I understand trying to be experimental or avant-garde, but there's a fine line between good and bad (to me) when dealing with those genre's. Diablo Swing Orchestra or maudlin of the Well is a good example of using experimental/avant-garde stuff and making it work well. They flow better. The Zolo-like super jerky rhythms and percussion here just doesn't work for me. The vocals are mostly annoying to me, as is most of the rest of the instrumentation. I feel like my 18 year old self would have been all over this, but these days I just cant enjoy stuff like this.

I somehow got through it 3 times and after that I just couldn't anymore....I know a lot of people like this album, but for the life of me I don't understand why. Sorry to have to eliminate you right out of the gate, but this just didn't work for me.  :-\

4.5/10

There you have it! I feel a little bad for having to eliminate 2 newcomers in my Roulette's right off the bat, but sometimes that just the way the cookie crumbles......
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #283 on: October 13, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »
 :metal
yeah on strange loops is easily one of my favorite albums i've gotten this year, only really topped by poly-math at this point tbh, it's so good

anyways i'm gonna stay in outer space for my next submission, i think, after that not so sure. i was considering sending you poly-math but you already rated 'em on RYM and way lower than they deserve, so, welp  :loser:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #284 on: October 13, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
Yay! :D

Dude I'm so glad you liked it so much, it's an awesome album and I thought you'd probably dig it but I honestly didn't know how much.

Although funny that Engine of the World is your least favourite, as it's one of my favourites. Ok a bit on the long side perhaps but I love the groove and the proggyness.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #285 on: October 13, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »
oh nooooooo

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2018, 01:45:30 PM »
You disliking Cardiacs has me scratching my hand over what to send next.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2018, 01:59:50 PM »
Sent for round 2. Completely different to my round 1 submission.

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2018, 02:02:28 PM »
That Blue Food album sounds like something I'd dig. Similar to Thank You, Scientist with a healthy dose of horns?? Sold.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #289 on: October 13, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »
That Blue Food album sounds like something I'd dig. Similar to Thank You, Scientist with a healthy dose of horns?? Sold.
Where TYS is prog with jazz/funk infusions, Blue Food is funk with prog infusions.

But yeah that album is awesome, I think you'd dig it.

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2018, 04:16:14 PM »
Alright, I have 6 albums for round 2 already. I would like to get everyone's in by Monday morning if possible.  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #291 on: October 13, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »
Sent some amazing album. As in, if Queen made a Power Metal album.

Based on Pup has a * for Blind Guardian and Angra.

Which will likely get a poor score followed by, "I really don't listen to that kind of thing anymore". ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LordCost

« Reply #292 on: October 13, 2018, 08:25:56 PM »
I didn't have much to send given your banned list and maybe the only band I really wanted to send, as I do in every recent roulette is Cardiacs, so don't worry about my elimination. I did the same in the latest Parama's roulette, sending a risky album like 666 International by Dodheimsgard, having not that much to lose.

I didn't want to send Guns for the third time and OLAITS is definitely my favourite album of them and one of my favourites of all time, but after this result I don't think an easier album would have changed much.

I was listening the album in the car some hours ago and I almost don't recognize the weirdness anymore since I've listened a lot to them and I'm used to their style, but I get that they might be not for everyone.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #293 on: October 14, 2018, 07:52:21 AM »
Alright, I have 6 albums for round 2 already. I would like to get everyone's in by Monday morning if possible.  :tup

One final run through of my options today - you'll have mine later tonight.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #294 on: October 14, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
I sent an album
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: October 14, 2018, 12:44:16 PM »
Also sent. I'm kinda phoning it in because I'm not really on DTF during the weekends but since our host wants the songs in by Monday morning, I have to send something now.

Still, I love that album I submitted.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #296 on: October 14, 2018, 01:01:18 PM »
Sent

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: October 14, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »
Thanks everyone who sent already for sending so quickly.  :tup Just waiting on a couple of the fogey's to send (well I can call them fogey's, since they are older than me :biggrin:) Then I think I may try my hand at Indisciplines infamous bizarro hangmemes  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #298 on: October 14, 2018, 01:27:06 PM »
You already have mine. It's the one I tried to get into the prelim round but was too long.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #299 on: October 14, 2018, 01:27:52 PM »
Oh yeah, I know. It's the other fogey's I'm waiting on  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Need 2 more albums for round 2)
« Reply #300 on: October 15, 2018, 12:46:47 AM »
Sent the best progressive album I've got

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #301 on: October 15, 2018, 07:33:17 AM »
One's mine; i'll have it to you in an hour or so; I was sick this weekend (still am) and so just saw this now. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #302 on: October 15, 2018, 08:51:20 AM »
One's mine; i'll have it to you in an hour or so; I was sick this weekend (still am) and so just saw this now.
That's fine. I've started listening but haven't got through 1 listen of them all yet.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Hangmanen Coming Soon....)
« Reply #303 on: October 15, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
I have all the albums in, I'm having a tough time coming up with bizarro hangman for this round (maybe next round), so you will get regular hangmemes instead..
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: October 15, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »
I prefer normal hangman anyways

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #305 on: October 15, 2018, 04:35:41 PM »
I changed my mind, Bizarro hangman coming at you!  :corn

???: Carlos' Son Pedro - Sundials Can Enumerate
 ???: Bringer of Misery & Sadness - The Awakening You
 ???: Courtney Cox on Friends Doll from Hell - Southern Girl
 ???: Maze - The Almighty's Ziggurat
 ???: Stick Man's Terra Firma Construction Company - Things, and How they Stick Together
 ???: H E Double Hockey Stickish - Ashes to Ashes
 ???: Russian Heart - Neverending
 ???: Obvious Hairless Cat - Full Daddy
 ???: Breaking Wind in the North - Limbo
 ???: Town Where Cats Cannot be Killed - Home of the Dream Gods
 ???: Ceasing Departure - Boring Hero
 ???: Post-Asia - Symbol Numero Tres
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Hangmanen Has found you...)
« Reply #306 on: October 15, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »
well, nobody is going to guess mine and I don't think I'm gonna guess anyone else's either :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #307 on: October 15, 2018, 05:11:44 PM »
Heavenly - Dust to Dust

Who sent that... interesting
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #308 on: October 15, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »
 ???: Carlos' Son Pedro - Sundials Can Enumerate
 ???: Bringer of Misery & Sadness - The Awakening You
 ???: Courtney Cox on Friends Doll from Hell - Southern Girl
 ???: Maze - The Almighty's Ziggurat
 ???: Stick Man's Terra Firma Construction Company - Things, and How they Stick Together
 ???: H E Double Hockey Stickish - Ashes to Ashes (Heavenly - Dust to Dust)
 ???: Russian Heart - Neverending
 ???: Obvious Hairless Cat - Full Daddy
 ???: Breaking Wind in the North - Limbo
 ???: Town Where Cats Cannot be Killed - Home of the Dream Gods
 ???: Ceasing Departure - Boring Hero
 ???: Post-Asia - Symbol Numero Tres
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #309 on: October 15, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »
Monica Chuckie - Northern Boy

Serious though...

Stads: Wetton/Downes - Icon 3
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #310 on: October 15, 2018, 06:25:14 PM »
Oh, now I know how it feels.

Great job, Puppies!  :tup
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:35:13 PM by Indiscipline »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #311 on: October 15, 2018, 06:26:34 PM »
yeah  :yeahright :getoffmylawn:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: October 15, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »
completely random unfounded guess,
Structural Disorder - ...And the Cage Crumbles in the Final Scene, sent by TAC?

i dunno. i could vaguely see it & i'm mostly just expecting him to send this one at some point so

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: October 15, 2018, 06:57:53 PM »
Monica Chuckie - Northern Boy

Serious though...

Stads: Wetton/Downes - Icon 3
First  :rollin
Second correct

completely random unfounded guess,
Structural Disorder - ...And the Cage Crumbles in the Final Scene, sent by TAC?

i dunno. i could vaguely see it & i'm mostly just expecting him to send this one at some point so
This is a negative, on the album and the person who sent it.

Oh, now I know how it feels.

Great job, Puppies!  :tup
Thanks. Some of these were fairly difficult to come up with, especially with all of the proper names in the sent albums...I could see most of them not getting guessed  :lol
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:08:48 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #314 on: October 15, 2018, 07:02:41 PM »

Manfred Mann's Earth Band-Glorified, Magnified-Indiscipline