Author Topic: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Jingle & Kat Bonus Round...spoiler...Jingle wins)  (Read 114664 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Greatest Hits First Impressions)
« Reply #1855 on: January 24, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »
Puppies c'mon and end my life  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1856 on: January 24, 2019, 12:33:08 PM »
It's the end of hangman as we know it, and I feel fine~  :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1857 on: January 24, 2019, 12:46:15 PM »
End my life tonight  :metal :metal :metal

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1858 on: January 24, 2019, 06:55:08 PM »
Sorry, I'm dragging my feet here. I'm still at work, it's been way too busy for the last 2 months, which is great for business, but bad for finishing roulette rounds. I will try to get as much done as possible on the write ups when I get home from work, which at this point could be never....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1859 on: January 24, 2019, 07:17:19 PM »
the longer you take the longer i get to live so it's alright  :tup :tup :tup

i hope you're working forever

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1860 on: January 26, 2019, 05:05:30 PM »
Haven't left work yet, Puppies? :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1861 on: January 26, 2019, 05:42:01 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1862 on: January 26, 2019, 05:47:21 PM »
maybe the puppies died of old age  :sadpanda:
dogs don't live that long...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1863 on: January 26, 2019, 05:57:30 PM »
I think he's just on acid.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1864 on: January 27, 2019, 04:43:58 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1865 on: January 27, 2019, 06:21:32 AM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1866 on: January 27, 2019, 10:17:24 AM »
IF I HAD TO WAAAAAAAKE UUUUUUUUUUUP
WOULD YOU POST RESUUUUUULTS

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1867 on: January 27, 2019, 12:17:30 PM »

:biggrin:

I'm working on finishing the results for this round right now.

:soon:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1868 on: January 27, 2019, 12:43:14 PM »
ready to die  :xbones

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1869 on: January 27, 2019, 02:13:55 PM »
Greatest Hits Results part 1

Jingle
Serenity - Feats of Strength
Symphonic Power Metal
Austria

First Impression - Stands out in a genre full of mediocrity

So this is pretty clearly Power Metal with lots of symphonic stuff mixed in. Power Metal in general has some pretty awesome bands, but at the same time there are a lot more mediocre or bad bands within this genre. Symphonic Power Metal is an even bigger mixed bag. It's hard to find bands that don't sound like they are frolicking among the meadows with their electric guitars, singing about fairy's or picking flowers or feminism :D This on the other hand kicks a lot of ass. Sure it still has a fair amount of cheese to go with it, but it doesn't detract from it. There are tons of awesome heavy guitar riffs and the symphonic elements actually really add to the music, instead of just feeling like they were just tacked on. A lot of it reminds me of the more recent Blind Guardian albums, specifically A Night at the Opera and At the Edge of Time. The difference being the symphonic bits sound closer to something Nightwish would do. So imagine the awesome riffing and heaviness of Blind guardian with the orchestral sound of Nightwish and that seems like a pretty close approximation to this band.

As far as some of the individual songs go. New Horizons, with it's intro, is a brilliant way to start the album. Kind of encapsulating everything this band is about. It contains but a few of the many amazing riffs spread throughout the songs you have chosen here. The Art of War doesn't stand out as much, but that has more to do with the fact that it seems more focused on the riffs and melodies. It's still a good song. Eternal Victory actually sounds like a song that would be used to mark a victorious battle or war. It's quite epic, especially that chorus! This might take the prize for being the most memorable song here. All Lights Reserved and Coldness Kills feel a bit like a mid album lull. They aren't bad songs, but they aren't quite up to the level of the songs before them. The vocals don't seem as polished, nor does the music feel as epic. I'd say Coldness Kills is the better of the two though, especially with that epic intro and that nice acoustic guitar section in the back half. I like having the piano driven Fairytales in the middle of the album. The duet vocals are also done very well. Then the Heartblood Symphony picks the pace up again. I don't really care for some of the cheesy keyboards here or some of the vocals. Beyond Desert Sands is a much better song. Actually the rest of the songs here are all really good. It seems the songs I enjoy the least all come from the Fallen Sanctuary album and the stuff I like the most all comes from either Death & Legacy or Lionheart. Then again all the stuff from War of Ages is pretty damn close, quality wise. I mean, Age of Glory and Legacy of Tudors proves that. The latter being a little too cheesy at times, but still an epic song. The final two songs just drive the ending of this whole thing to beyond epic. The Final Crusade feels like a proper follow up to Eternal Victory. Seems like the Lionheart album wants to be one epic victorious song after another. Using the orchestral version of My Final Chapter to end this was a smart move. Reminds me of how Angra ended their Temple of Shadows albums with an orchestral piece. Only this one has vocals.

Overall this is pretty great. I had some issues with some songs, mostly ones from Fallen Sanctuary. There's some brilliant Symphonic Power Metal here and I will definitely explore a few of these albums some more.

15.9/20

Kattelox
Fairyland - The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers: An Adventure Through the Seven Seas of Brie
Symphonic Power Metal
France

First Impression - Symphony X called to say they wish they could still write music this good

Lots of Symphonic Power metal this round. This however takes on a more Symphony X sound. Between the guitar tone, riffs, and solos (you'd swear Michael Romeo was playing here) and then the vocal style sounds very reminiscent to Russell Allen (at least on the songs from The Fall of an Empire). This guys tone isn't quite as heavy, but the similarity is there. The difference here between Fairyland and Symphony X is Fairyland takes way more of a power metal approach. There is definitely some proggy stuff here, similar in style to a lot of early Symphony X (The Divine Wings of Tragedy era).

So the opening 3 tracks are just absolutely fantastic. They kick the doors right off of this album and explode with some amazing riffs and commanding vocals. Lost in the Dark Lands has some great vocal melodies and harmonizing. Then there is some great back and forth between the guitars and keyboards. The song is speedy, heavy, dynamic, and epic. These songs reminded me of the time when I first discovered Symphony X almost 20 years ago, just how blown away I was. This gave me the same feeling. The Awakening takes a bit of a different approach. It's a little more lighthearted, at least musically. It takes a more melodic road, with twinkly keyboards and victorious sounding vocal melodies/harmonies. I like the female vocalist that is in Eldanie Uelle. This song is even more of a melodic epic than the last one. Songs like this keep the album from feeling samey, by giving varied takes on a singular genre. There are so many avenues you can go down when it comes to Power Metal. Unfortunately, a lot of bands in the genre get stuck in one style and end up boring me to death. Fairlyland doesn't do that. They have a consistent style, but they branch off in to various sounds within the genre. Clanner of the Light is another example of what I'm talking about. With its off-kilter drum beats and rhythm it takes on a completely different sound from anything that came before, yet it stays consistent within the album. Now there are a couple of cheesy keyboard parts here that I don't particularly care for, but this is power metal after all....It's by the time The Walls of Laemnil and Anmorkenta roll around that I realize that there are a lot of similarities with early Rhapsody (of fire). I do enjoy quite a bit of the various forms of Rhapsody, so it's no surprise I'm liking this. I think I'm liking this more up to this point, possibly. With Ride with the Sun, the album takes a turn to full cheese and a different vocalist. Apparently the band had a female lead vocalist in the beginning. There is still a consistency in the music, just cheesier. Assault on the Shore sees another change in vocalist, but keeps the cheese factor. This is my least favorite of the 3 vocalists on display here. This song (and the rest going forward) also sees most of the Symphony X similarities disappear. The sense of wonder, discovery, and awe is gone with the rest of the songs. They all just sound like a poor mans imitation of the epic awesomeness that came before. Also the production on the rest of the songs is not as good. It sounds sort of muddy. Nothing is as clear. I do like Rise of Giants, but that might be because there are no vocals. Plus I like full on orchestral songs in Power Metal albums. Score to a New Beginning is made better by having the vocalist from Serenity (see Jingle's submission) and some of the awesome vocal harmonies from the earlier songs is back, but the song is a little over long for what it is and I don't like the female vocals here. I really like the ending with End Credits. The vocals really make this track.

So it comes down to the fact that I liked 11 of the 14 tracks here. Of the 11 I liked 9 of them were extremely good. I think I will check out the first 2 albums in their entirety, but that 3rd album just doesn't seem like something I would like enough to warrant checking it out further. This is going to get my favorite Album Title award though. A little plagiarism and a whole heap of cheese :lol

15.7/20 +1(album title bonus) = 16.7

Elite
Jolly - Happy, Bright, Cheerful, Funny: Jolly's Greatest Hits (Spanning Just Three Albums)
Progressive Metal
United States

First Impression - Reminds me of another band, but the vocals aren't as good.

This reminds me quite a bit of Fair to Midland, which you sent in the EP round. I do enjoy Fair To Midlands vocalist more than this guy. There's also bits that remind me of Porcupine Tree, Junius, and Deftones. For instance, the structure of their songs and how they flow, really the whole songwriting process seems to be partly influenced by Deftones and Porcupine Tree.

The opening tune is pretty good, but I think this really opens up with Joy. It's kind of a progressive metal meets alternative rock banger with some great atmospheric keyboards used sparsely throughout. Just some great melodies with a thunderous rhythm section. Where Everything's Perfect shows a bit of a different dimension to the band, with some heavier sections and more of those great keyboard melodies. This one is also much more progressive sounding and also has some Alice in Chains vibes going. It's at this point that the Porcupine Tree similarities really come to the fore. The song writing really seems to go for the more "commercially accepted" progressive rock/metal. This isn't a bad thing, because I love Porcupine Tree and I don't mind Prog bands trying to make music that has catchy melodies or choruses or what have you. I actually prefer it in a lot of music. I like something to latch on to, that can get burrowed in to my brain. Other times I like all out technicality, but it really depends on my mood and the kind of music. Aqualand and the 7 Suns takes on a bit of an Oceansize (circa Frames) sound. Especially in the way the rhythm section (drums and bass) move the song and the vocal style....that is until it goes in to electronica mode. I like where this song is placed with it reprising some themes from the previous song, even though they are on 2 separate albums. I'm not completely convinced by Firewell. I like the subtle return of the sparkly atmospheric keyboards, but the heaviness of the song doesn't exactly work for me. The lighter parts are much better. As Heard on Tape....now this song is just complete eargasm. I wasn't expecting this after Firewell, but it works to calm the mood down. Then there are those bagpipes....just sublime. Lucky is a happy heavy tune. Those keyboards are just so chipper sounding! The rest of the songs all some combination of the above observations to some more pretty spectacular music. The Grand Utopia ends with the spoken word of "Congratulations, you are now happy!"

Yeah, I guess I am pretty happy now that I listened to this. This is some pretty great music. I'm going to have to listen to each album in it's entirety now. Thanks for putting this together, it was awesome!

18/20

Ariich
The Cat Empire - Five Years of Feline Rule
Latin inspired Jazzed-up Funky Reggae-Rock
Australia

First Impression - Bring 3 cups of Funky Jazz to a boil, add 1 cup of Salsa, a half cup of rock, 3 tablespoons of Reggae, a dash of Mariachi, a pinch of soul, a quarter teaspoon of hip hop, and the kitchen sink for good measure, stir until blended well and simmer for about an hour.

Well, you've kept up sending stuff different each round. This is again the most unique submission of the round and dare I say, the most fun? I mean, most of the songs here make me want to get up and dance, even though I don't dance, or even know how to dance.

Right off the bat, How to Explain, just dares you not to dance. It has a great groove with some nice trumpet added throughout. So Many Nights takes a more Soul/Funk turn with some nods to Garage Rock/Classic Rock. It has a bit of a Red Hot Chili Peppers feel to it. The vocalist even has a bit of an Anthony Kiedis meets Mick Jagger vibe going here. Song for Elias goes for more of a Latin Downtempo feel, not unlike Federico Aubele. Love the use of horns and piano here. The varied vocals throughout give it a cool vibe. The little flourishes of acoustic guitar are pretty awesome too. Fishies is another fantastic song, with a great hook ( :D see what I did there? OK, I'll see myself out). This has kind of a Ska meets Jazz and Swing music? Something like that. Between the great, head bobbing music and the cool lyrics/vocals, this song just puts a smile on my face. The Rhythm is next, and guess what? It makes me want to dance. See a theme here? This one is a straight up Latin/Salsa funk song. I could just keep going track by track here, but I think you get the idea. I'd rather talk about a couple songs specifically.

First of all, The Wine Song. This is a perfect way to end the album. Especially considering everything that came before. It's the most dynamic track here, showcasing everything the band can do and serves as a summary of the entire album you have constructed here. It's kind of like ending an epic party with, not necessarily the best for last, but something that everyone will definitely remember once it's all over. Also I'm going to need a lyric sheet for that last minute or so of the song :D
Voodoo Cowboy is the other one that stood out for some reason. Maybe it's because I've been playing Red Dead Redemption 2 a lot lately, but it does have quite a unique sound from the other songs on here. It may not be the strongest song here, but it continues to show the diversity this band has.

I could easily see myself delving deeper in to this bands music after the roulette is over. There are a few nitpicks I have though. Sometimes the vocals aren't as technical or as melodic as I generally like, but it isn't a huge issue. Another nitpick, again not a huge issue, is I would have liked to here more of the horns throughout. I loved the way they were used, but some songs have none where I was expecting some and others they are underused. Overall this is a fantastic showcase of this band.

18.5/20
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1870 on: January 27, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »
- Consistent and groovy
- Unique vocals, varied and dynamic music
- This might be the most vanilla thing you've sent so far
- Dream Theater called to say they wish they could still write music this good.
1. Baroness? could be Nothgard
2. Imogen Heap
3. Nothgard? could be Baroness
4. DGM (the only other one i got right)

haha i'm doomed  :sadpanda:
then again i only need to slightly outscore two of jingle/katt/lethean but i have no confidence in my ability to do that so rip
also preemptive congrats on winning the roulette ariich

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1871 on: January 27, 2019, 02:27:57 PM »
- Consistent and groovy
1. Baroness? could be Nothgard
2. Imogen Heap
3. Nothgard? could be Baroness
4. DGM (the only other one i got right)

haha i'm doomed  :sadpanda:
then again i only need to slightly outscore two of jingle/katt/lethean but i have no confidence in my ability to do that so rip
also preemptive congrats on winning the roulette ariich

Gee, I hope not! :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Greatest Hits Results Part 1...Finally.....)
« Reply #1872 on: January 27, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »
it's either mine or yours, i'm pretty confident on imogen heap being #2  :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: January 27, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »
Wow! That went over better than I expected. So happy you enjoyed those songs. It's funny because Score's title track is often hailed as a high water mark in the genre yet your perception of Fairyland falls in line with mine. Fall of an Empire is way more creative with better singers and instrumental parts, so I'm pleasantly surprised you lean towards that album. The female singer on Ride with the Sun is Elisa Martin, Dark Moor's old singer from the 90s. I almost threw in an instrumental from that album, The Army of the White Mountains, but it overstays its welcome a bit compared to Giants.

Still don't think I'm making it to the next round but that's okay cause I got the album title bonus and beat Chad  :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1874 on: January 27, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »
Awesome, so glad you liked it, and especially glad I included The Wine Song and Voodoo Cowboy which I love not because they're especially the best songs in and of themselves but because they're really cool and different, which was exactly what you liked about them too.

And yeah they have two singers. The guy with the deeper voice is pleasant enough - I find him a little bland sounding but he fits nicely with the music so it works out fine. The guy with the higher-pitched ska/reggae-style voice (who also does the big falsetto stuff and scat singing) is also the lead trumpeter. If you want to dig into their albums, I would say their best two are Cities and So Many Nights, but their self-titled first full release is also excellent.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1875 on: January 27, 2019, 05:22:37 PM »
So Results Pt 2 next Sunday? ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1876 on: January 27, 2019, 05:41:52 PM »
puppies should wait long enough to post results that TAC and jingle die of old age and i get into the finals by default :neverusethis:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1877 on: January 27, 2019, 06:12:23 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1878 on: January 27, 2019, 06:15:49 PM »
So Results Pt 2 next Sunday? ;D
I'm still slowly working on the write ups in between taking care of other things today. They should be up later this evening some time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: January 27, 2019, 07:08:34 PM »
Haven’t had a chance to read thru all of it, but dayum... all those superlatives and still the lowest score of that bunch.  :sadpanda:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1880 on: January 27, 2019, 07:42:42 PM »
Haven’t had a chance to read thru all of it, but dayum... all those superlatives and still the lowest score of that bunch.  :sadpanda:
You only scored lower than Kat because he got the bonus point.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1881 on: January 27, 2019, 07:49:04 PM »
And only .2 behind at that :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1882 on: January 27, 2019, 07:57:12 PM »
Still lower.

So, what comments are still to come ....

have some first impressions

- Consistent and groovy
- Stands out in a genre full of mediocrity
- Reminds me of another band, but the vocals aren't as good
- Symphony X called to say they wish we could still write music this good
- Bring 3 cups of Funky Jazz to a boil, add 1 cup of Salsa, a half cup of rock, 3 tablespoons of Reggae, a dash of Mariachi, a pinch of soul, a quarter teaspoon of hip hop, and the kitchen sink for good measure, stir until blended well and simmer for about an hour.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1883 on: January 27, 2019, 08:08:18 PM »
Mine is certainly the DT one.  I guess I was successful in choosing songs that weren't too obvious with the SX influence.  :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1884 on: January 27, 2019, 08:31:02 PM »
Mine is certainly the DT one.  I guess I was successful in choosing songs that weren't too obvious with the SX influence.  :lol

I've only heard the last two DGM albums, but my overriding impression of them is that they based their whole style on A Fortune in Lies, Take the Time, Under a Glass Moon, and Status Seeker.  There is nothing wrong with that, BTW, because those two albums, Discipline and The Passage, fucking rock.  :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1885 on: January 27, 2019, 09:19:14 PM »
sits in the corner, literally dying

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1886 on: January 27, 2019, 09:23:36 PM »

I've only heard the last two DGM albums, but my overriding impression of them is that they based their whole style on A Fortune in Lies, Take the Time, Under a Glass Moon, and Status Seeker.  There is nothing wrong with that, BTW, because those two albums, Discipline and The Passage, fucking rock.  :metal

I assume you meant Momentum?  Momentum has a couple really obvious DT moments (but it was Lines in the Sand and something from Six Degrees as I recall).  And certainly DT has always been an influence.  But their guitar player is a huge Michael Romeo fan and it shows.  (I think he's more or less admitted it too).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1887 on: January 27, 2019, 09:34:07 PM »
I've always struggled with getting into DGM but I've found myself recently enjoying them more each time I go back to them. They're pretty fun for that kind of metal.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1888 on: January 27, 2019, 09:40:06 PM »

I assume you meant Momentum?  Momentum has a couple really obvious DT moments (but it was Lines in the Sand and something from Six Degrees as I recall).  And certainly DT has always been an influence.  But their guitar player is a huge Michael Romeo fan and it shows.  (I think he's more or less admitted it too).

Yep, Momentum.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies Crazy Album Roulette (Greatest Hits Results Part 2...Finally.....)
« Reply #1889 on: January 27, 2019, 10:48:47 PM »
Sorry, but the final 2 will have to wait until tomorrow.

Greatest Hits Part 2

Lethean
DGM - Delightfully and Gleefully Magnificent
Progressive Metal
Italy

First Impression - Dream Theater called to say they wish they could still write music this good.

Well this is certainly some crackin Progressive Metal. Mostly faster paced, with some great riffs and melodies. These guys definitely take cues from Dream Theater even though they also have a quite a bit of Power Metal mixed in to their sound. I like the vocals on display here more than anything James LaBrie has done in recent memory. There's a lot of back and forth with the guitar and drums, which I enjoy most of it quite a bit.

Starting this thing off is the 2 part song The Secret. Good lord this is just stacked with great riffs and melodic guitar solos. I love the vocal melodies. I guess it would stand to reason that I would enjoy this so much because this is the same lineup that did Frame, which is the only album by DGM I've heard and I love that album. This song goes through a lot of dynamic changes, with piano driven lighter parts, to soaring harmonized vocals (especially towards the end of the first part), technical exchanges between everyone, and some heavy riffing. The second part even has some cool Ayreon like atmospheric passages. The whole culmination of this song leads me to give it my seal of approval as song of the round! Invisible Rain sees a different vocalist, guitarist, and keyboardist come in, but the song is still pretty good. Just a different vibe. Much lighter, with much more prominent bass in the mix. I do like the other vocalist (Mark Basile) and guitarist (Simone Mularoni) better, but these guys do a pretty good job. The keyboards are much cheesier and more annoying here, though, which is the undoing of the song for me. Lost in Time again has a different keyboardist. This song has a bit more balls and chunk to it and more fantastic bass playing that can be heard easily in the mix. This song shows a bit of Angra influence in it, then again so do some of the other songs here. The keyboards here aren't as annoying, but I still like the guy on The Secret the most. Some Day, One Day sees the return of the modern lineup and a return to more enjoyable songs. The beginning keyboard melody reminds me a bit of something from early Marillion. This song is from the album before Frame and it feels like maybe the band was just starting to find their footing with the new lineup here. It isn't as polished or intriguing as stuff on Frame or the other songs you picked here from their later albums. Still a lot of potential comes through and it's more exciting that the stuff that's on their earlier albums, at least for me. Ghosts of Insanity is pretty awesome and while I'm usually not a bit fan of Tom Englund, I do enjoy him here more than usual, probably because of the duet nature of the vocals. The intro to this song is heavy and head bang worthy. Storm #351 feels like a throw away track to me. I just don't really like anything about it. New Life on the other hand, is a great pick for a greatest hits album. This song I think encapsulates everything that DGM are about. Not as well as The Secret, but that song is god tier for me.

Overall this is pretty good. Only one track I really disliked and a couple that could be better. I'm going to dig in to The Passage and Different Shapes more and maybe work my way to a few of their other albums. You did come out with my favorite track of the round though.

16.2/20 + 1(song bonus point) = 17.2/20 Total Score

Parama
Baroness - The Colors Beyond the Sun
Progressive Sludge Metal
United States

First Impression - Consistent and groovy

So I had a rough time getting through this the first couple times. It's fairly long, first of all. It all sounded too similar at first (it really isn't, it's consistent, but there's lots of diversity here). Then there's the problem with the stuff from the Purple album. I listened to that album once when it came out and then never listened to it again, mostly because the production on it was (still is) terrible. The problems with the Purple album songs still remains, but the rest of this opened up quite a bit. I really started getting in to the groove of it part way through the third listen.

Lets start with the first track here. Rays on Pinion is a brilliant way to start this off. It's a slow burner, slowly building up to a groovy stoner-like rock/metal tune. There's some great guitar harmonizing here and the melodies keep it together. Twinkler is a great follow up, with a nice acoustic build up in the beginning. There's some great vocal harmonies here, almost peaceful mixed with the acoustic guitar. This song is beautiful. The Line Between basically picks up where the last left off, quickly becoming heavier and chunkier. The ebb and flow of this song is quite nice, with a nice guitar solo in the back half. I really enjoy all the songs from the Yellow and Green albums, I think they may be my favorites. Then again the stuff from the Blue album is also really nice, starting with The Gnashing. For a band that is pretty much a sludgy stonery type of metal, they sure know how to build up to a climax and also slow things down and make light and beautiful music. The Gnashing is proof of that. It's definitely a rockin tune, but it's got these great mellow buildups and triumphant sounding peaks, all within about 4 minutes. The next two songs are from the Purple album and what I said about the production still holds true for me, but hearing them in the context of a lot of Baroness's other music makes the songs much more enjoyable. I still wish that album wasn't mixed so loud. There is a lot of great song writing on these two songs though. A Horse Called Golgotha probably has the best intro to any of the songs here, with that galloping guitar rhythm and cool drums. The meat of the song is pretty cool too, with a nice rhythm and short but sweet guitar solo. I like the placement of Foolsong and Back Where I Belong on here. They sort of compliment one another. It's here that I also feel it's easy to notice the obvious Mastodon similarities, but I think a closer approximation of Baroness would be a mix of Kylesa and High on Fire. They don't ever really get quite as heavy as High on Fire, but the sound is there. Anyway I especially like that fuzzy guitar solo in the middle of Back Where I Belong. Grad is a phenomenal instrumental track. It's like Pelican meets Earth meets Isis. Pelican and Isis being 2 bands I really dig. Now the last third of this compilation is where it really comes in to it's own I think. A lot more diversity and different sounds. It begins with another instrumental, Green Theme. Every bit as good as Grad, but in a totally different way. This has a great buildup and a super triumphant guitar riff that comes in. Great stuff. Jake Leg just sees the band go hog wild on their instruments for the whole first minute or so. Great guitar riffing and soloing. It has a very jam feeling to the whole song. Wailing Wintry Wind is on a whole other level. From the very first listen it was my favorite song on here. It only got better with each listen. All I can really say about it now is just, wow! This is inspired song writing. It's like Anathema or Agalloch levels of buildup and climax here. Chlorine and Wine is easily the best thing from the Purple album on here and it fits very well with the other 4 songs in this third part of the album. Song writing and music wise this a 10/10 song, but the production does bring it down a tad. Then the final song, Eula. I was thinking it would have been better to end with Wailing Wintry Wind, but this works pretty much just as well. This sounds a little bit like Thrice in spots. Definitely not a bad thing. And like the majority of the songs here, it has great buildups and climaxes, nice ebb and flow.

I'm certainly glad you picked Baroness for the Greatest Hits round. I had no idea what they were capable of, considering I'd only ever heard the Purple album. This has opened my eyes and I will be doing a deep dive in to each of their albums. Since you split this up in to 3 separate EP's and then mashed it together in to one album I'll score each EP individually for you and then give you the overall score. Also I wasn't exactly sure what the theme was you were going for on each of these, but whatever it was, it sure sounded good.

I - Refraction - 8.5/10
II - Reflection - 8.4/10
III - Dispersion - 9.5/10
Album Total - 17.6/20
aka Puppies_On_Acid