Author Topic: Orchestral Movie Soundtracks  (Read 720 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Orchestral Movie Soundtracks
« on: September 26, 2018, 06:05:43 PM »
I had the urge to listen to the E.T. soundtrack on the way into work this evening. It may have been the single most epic work commute I've ever had! It prompted me to knock up an 'orchestral movie soundtracks' playlist.

So far I have my fave tunes from:

E.T.
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Back to the Future
Jurassic Park
Hook
Pirates of the Caribbean
Lord of the Rings

All the classics really. I've also added in some orchestral renditions of some video game music (Final Fantasy).

I'm an 80s/90s kid and I grew up obsessing over a lot of 80s movies. Can you guys help me out with any classic movie scores from 80s/early 90s films that had a great score, I know I will have missed some. Also any TV soundtracks that for the bill would be great.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Orchestral Movie Soundtracks
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 06:09:08 PM »
I'm a sucker for the Star Trek theme (not the new ones). Also Stargate has a great opening score.

Those are mostly TV ones, but still great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:23:16 PM »
The Newmans are all famously gifted composers. One of my favorites? Tommy Boy. David Newman wrote the score for that and I think it's fabulous.

Howard Shore also did Mrs. Doubtfire's score - another winner in my book.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 12:42:16 AM »
Conan The Barbarian by Basil Poledouris, for the epic needs
The Draughtsman's Contract by Michael Nyman, not much epic but a jewel of neo-baroque orchestration

You may also want to check Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague, a great anthology concert with a large modern orchestra featuring - among others -  the man himself plus Guthrie Govan and Johnny Marr on guitar duties.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 02:28:43 AM »
Conan The Barbarian by Basil Poledouris, for the epic needs
The Draughtsman's Contract by Michael Nyman, not much epic but a jewel of neo-baroque orchestration

You may also want to check Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague, a great anthology concert with a large modern orchestra featuring - among others -  the man himself plus Guthrie Govan and Johnny Marr on guitar duties.

Nice one dude, I'm definitely going to give that Hans Zimmer album a go.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 02:57:06 AM »
The movie "Legend" came out in 1985 or 86.  The score by Tangerine Dream is fantastic, and I'm pretty sure the soundtrack is still available.

Also "The Edge"  came out in 1997, has a excellent sounding score.

Other honerable mentions;
 Return to Snowy River
 Poltergeist
 The Abyss
 The Lion King
 Tarzan (animated version)
 Deep Blue Sea
 Titanic
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 03:33:55 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cintus Supremus

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 07:35:23 AM »
Jerry Goldsmith did some fun stuff in the 80s and 90s, like Explorers, Runaway, Poltergeist, The Secret of NIMN, Total Recall, Gremlins and my personal favorite, The Ghost and the Darkness.

James Horner’s best material in my opinion from the 80s and 90s is Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Krull, Aliens, Willow, Patriot Games and Apollo 13.

It sounds like you’ve got John Williams covered, but I would also suggest Schindler’s List, Superman, Rosewood, Amistad and if you can find the album without the annoying dialogue, Angela’s Ashes.

Adami mentioned Stargate, and the score for the original movie is fantastic, as is David Arnold’s score for Independence Day. Everyone thought he was going to be the next John Williams, with huge Korngold-esque bombast, but he ended up doing lots of different projects.

Danny Elfman has a handful of worthy soundtracks, like Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, Batman, Nightbreed and Edward Scissorhands, which as far as I’m concerned is his best work.

Indescipline mentioned Basil Poledouris, and his Conan scores are indeed awesome. I also like his scores for Robocop and The Hunt for Red October.

Some other random soundtracks that I think are cool, regardless of how the movie is:
Amelie (Yann Tiersen)
The Fountain (Clint Mansell)
Tron (Wendy Carlos)
Interstellar (Hans Zimmer)
Signs (James Newton Howard)
Annihilation (Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 07:50:36 AM »
Don't discount some of Trevor Rabin's soundtrack work. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 08:24:37 AM »
I love the Edward Scissorhands soundtrack by Danny Elfman.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 08:28:30 AM »
I was forgetting, everything by Joe Hisaishi for Studio Ghibli, especially Howl's Moving Castle.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 08:49:07 AM »
The score from Batman (1989) was a great one from Danny Elfman. I also really enjoyed the Star Trek the Next Generation ones.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 03:11:18 PM »
Don't discount some of Trevor Rabin's soundtrack work.
Armageddon, Deep Blue Sea and many more..   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
I was forgetting, everything by Joe Hisaishi for Studio Ghibli, especially Howl's Moving Castle.

I've got a Studio Ghibli playlist on Spotify as I already dig most of the soundtracks and love the majority of the films  :heart