Would you live in the virtual world?

Yes
4 (36.4%)
no
3 (27.3%)
Some time in each world
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Thoughts on Virtual Reality (Choosing to live in a virtual vs. current world)  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Say for instance that virtual reality gets to the point where its indistinguishable from our current reality. In this virtual world, you can have it 100% to your specifications and you can stay there permanently if you want. It is your world, whatever you want, whenever you want.

Would you choose for that to be your reality or would you remain here in our currently perceived reality?  (or possibly a combination of both)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Assuming, of course, that it is 1) indistinguishable from our current reality, 2) I can tailor it as you say to 100% of my specifications, and 3) I can stay there permanently... Absolutely. I would choose that world in a heartbeat. Screw this world - I want out. Let me live in my dream world. No ifs ands or buts about it. Catch ya'll on the other side. The real world is magical, but the virtual world, my world, is far more magical and ideal.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I'm really hoping that if I live long enough to have to live in an assisted living facility, life is basically one epic LAN party until I'm dead.

Offline krands85

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
No, never. Without the challenge/struggle to build my personal ideal reality INSIDE the currently perceived reality I wouldn't know what I'm living for.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
No, never. Without the challenge/struggle to build my personal ideal reality INSIDE the currently perceived reality I wouldn't know what I'm living for.

You could do that in the virtual world, just with a mech suit or something.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
So like how in Futurama when you reach a certain age, you get taken away to a retirement community inside a virtual world.

Or is it like Sword Art Online where everyone who played the game is stuck permanently and actually dies if they die in the VR world?

No way for me, its cool but I love living in this reality. I'm grateful for being able to be alive in this time, for what reason is for me to figure out. Thats the beauty of life, and just being stuck in a virtual world wouldn't be living...unless we actually are living in a virtual world and when we die thats when we see the true world...(HEAD ASPLODE)...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

Say for instance that virtual reality gets to the point where its indistinguishable from our current reality. In this virtual world, you can have it 100% to your specifications and you can stay there permanently if you want. It is your world, whatever you want, whenever you want.

Would you choose for that to be your reality or would you remain here in our currently perceived reality?  (or possibly a combination of both)

Well, but how would I go on in the real world? today we can play realistic video games, but we can't just call in sick at work and play all day long, all days. Replace "video game" with your virtual reality, how can I stay plugged in forever if they fire me from my job because I never show up?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
So, The Matrix? 

Not sure.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Well, but how would I go on in the real world? today we can play realistic video games, but we can't just call in sick at work and play all day long, all days. Replace "video game" with your virtual reality, how can I stay plugged in forever if they fire me from my job because I never show up?

This whole thing is just a thought experiment. Imagine a hypothetical far off future where for whatever reason you didn't have to work and go from there.

So, The Matrix? 

Not sure.

Exactly. Basically the matrix, but in reverse. You don't start in the matrix, you are choosing to go in the matrix and it can be however you want it.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Thoughts on Virtual Reality (Choosing to live in a virtual vs. current world)
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 07:42:40 AM »
Well, if you put it that way, if I have no obligations in the real world, I would sure spent a lot of time in the virtual reality. Maybe not all time, but using virtual reality as a semi-permanent vacation.... why not.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Thoughts on Virtual Reality (Choosing to live in a virtual vs. current world)
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 07:49:26 AM »
But my 50-year old brain can't wrap around the idea that I would be beholden to the technology. What's the difference between that and being tied to an iron lung or something like that. 

Would I still get that tingling feeling in my arms when an epic song comes on?  Would I get that very pleasant and enticing "itch" (no jokes please, I'm being serious) in my testicles at the very start of being sexually aroused?   Would I get that cool, swirling euphoric feeling as the alcoholo starts to kick in but before I'm intoxicated?   Would I get that little roil in my belly as the lights go down before that band I've been waiting for months to see is about to take the stage? 

You get where I'm going; if I could well and truly leave behind that I am in a technology world and I would still have those very small, very tactile things that make me feel alive and human...  then I'd consider it.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »
Would I get that cool, swirling euphoric feeling as the alcoholo starts to kick in but before I'm intoxicated?   

:heart

That's such a nice place to be.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 08:01:29 AM »
Somewhat related: I am fascinated by the idea of, in the distant future, at the end of one's life, having one's consciousness uploaded to a perpetually powered server, and continuing to exist for eternity in a realm of fantasy. Sign me up.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 08:05:58 AM »
Somewhat related: I am fascinated by the idea of, in the distant future, at the end of one's life, having one's consciousness uploaded to a perpetually powered server, and continuing to exist for eternity in a realm of fantasy. Sign me up.

Watch the episode of Black Mirror called San Junipero

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 08:06:20 AM »

I do need to watch this show... Noted. :)

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 08:09:11 AM »

I do need to watch this show... Noted. :)

It doesn't matter what order you watch the show in. Watch that episode first.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 11:32:19 AM »
I'd still spent most of my time in the real world, because I honestly like the idea that I'm contributing something positive to the world and to our species.  I make music that people like, I teach, and I make things that people find useful.  If everyone retreats into their own little virtual worlds, our species will stagnate and our planet will die from neglect.  We can't have that.

But at night I'll plug into my virtual world where I'm married to Diane Lane.