Author Topic: Top 3 (or 5) songs you would like to see on the next tour?  (Read 16735 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Top 3 (or 5) songs you would like to see on the next tour?
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »
YNM live would be an incredible rarity. I think it was only played a couple times on the FII tour but is actually a great hard-rock song that I think would work really well live. I wish MP would've never commented on this song because now all the fans tend to dislike it too, probably just because of that.

Well...that's just not true.  A number of very vocal Portnoy sycophants don't like it, but I doubt their opinions are typical of "all the fans."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »
And most people that don't like it appear to have held that same opinion long before learning of Portnoy's feelings about it (myself included).  It's just not a very good song. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »
Agreed.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2018, 01:46:07 PM »
I just think its a DT song that is fairly different than what they are known for so it's bound to get some dislike

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »
I just think its a DT song that is fairly different than what they are known for so it's bound to get some dislike

I feel this way about most of FII. The material isn’t bad, it just doesn’t sound much like DT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »
It's definitely a good song.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »

I feel this way about most of FII. The material isn’t bad, it just doesn’t sound much like DT.

And I think that amplifies it even more.  Like I Walk Besides You got some flak for being a more poppy non DT sounding song, but it doesn't get the hate YNM gets and it's probably because people generally enjoy 8VM moreso than FII.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »

And I think that amplifies it even more.  Like I Walk Besides You got some flak for being a more poppy non DT sounding song, but it doesn't get the hate YNM gets and it's probably because people generally enjoy 8VM moreso than FII.

I like YNM a LOT more than IWBY.  IWBY is down in the bottom 10 with "Innocence Faded."  All that isn't to say that I love YNM.  It's fine.  Not bad, but certainly below average (of course, "average" DT songs beat out everything on a lot of bands' "best of" albums).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2018, 04:43:40 PM »
I thought one thing they could be planning that would make Octavarium a far-fetched idea is that they move through their discography chronologically, playing one song from every album. Then again, they have done that same thing at least on two tours before, so I don't consider this to be a very likely option.

Let's hope not. That kind of set list can work once in a very great while, like for an anniversary show, but as a regular thing, it's a bad idea. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2018, 06:43:49 AM »
I already thought Octavarium was a longshot, given its length.  But given what they are planning, I think it is even more of a longshot now.  But:  (1) that's all I'll say on that; and (2) I could be wrong.

20+ min epic confirmed for the new album :tup
... and for the new tour, of course, right? :tup
I second that. Really it was the first thing that crossed my mind, because normally we get, at most, one big epic for every tour. So I'm betting this the reason behind Bosk's observation. Or maybe DT is planning to pick at least one song from each of the older albums, which will lead to choice shorter songs. Let's see.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2018, 08:30:30 AM »
I think picking at least one song from each album for the setlist is a great idea, like they did for the summer tour of 2011, before ADTOE was released. I like it when bands represent their whole catalog and not just a couple of fan favorite albums live.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2018, 08:52:57 AM »
It could also be some sort of "compensation" for the last two tours, where an entire album took away half the show, and another one literally made up the whole show.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2018, 11:41:11 AM »
It could also be some sort of "compensation" for the last two tours, where an entire album took away half the show, and another one literally made up the whole show.
That would make sense, but imagine the following: If DT14 were to be so good that there were all killers and no fillers, you'd want to hear the entire record, would you? On the other note, the prospect of having at least one long piece on it (or more) makes me excited
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
I think picking at least one song from each album for the setlist is a great idea, like they did for the summer tour of 2011, before ADTOE was released. I like it when bands represent their whole catalog and not just a couple of fan favorite albums live.

Wow, I never notice they did that!.. Maybe because the songs weren't in chronological order, but I did't pay attention to that detail.. But yeah, if they do something like that it'd be cool (and not again like Score or the 2015 tour -these two were fine, but it'd feel a bit predictable if they repeat that very setlist structure so soon-)... although I think they should skip the I&W songs again..

Also, even if the new album has an instrumental and they include it in the set, I hope they play another instrumental... 1) because that would give a hypothetical second and very needed respite to James' voice and 2) because the only options if we exclude the ones they've already played with MM, would be Stream and Erotomania, which I consider to be excellent DT tracks (not counting FAS either, given its nature)..

But I agree that any of the 6 songs of the final results would be great to see live.. Haven't seen any of them yet,... well, except TGP in the Shattered Fortress event, but not the same obviously..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
That would make sense, but imagine the following: If DT14 were to be so good that there were all killers and no fillers, you'd want to hear the entire record, would you? On the other note, the prospect of having at least one long piece on it (or more) makes me excited

Still, I'm puzzled by the "given what they are PLANNING" live. Was playing live Illumination Theory a "plan"? sure, you can say so, but the real planning for that tour was having the Awake and Scenes anniversary, playing Illumination Theory was not a "plan" anymore than playing Octvarium or In the Presence of Enemies was.

Having Bosk saying that they are PLANNING something makes me think it's something more than the standard "New songs including the big epic and some classics" tour.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2018, 11:57:49 AM »
During ADToE tour, they played the whole album, didn't they? The songs that were played by concert changed each night, but in the end, they played all the songs. I like this ideia, cause you have the chance to play every song from the new record and vary the setlist throughout the tour.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2018, 11:59:53 AM »
Having Bosk saying that they are PLANNING something makes me think it's something more than the standard "New songs including the big epic and some classics" tour.

Good point.. It doesn't sound like that..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2018, 12:02:00 PM »
You are tempting me to provide some clarification, but I'm not gunna.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2018, 12:07:13 PM »
Well, you can take the evening to decide...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »
I am the ruler here.  Don't overlook that fact.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2018, 12:10:39 PM »
I've seen a sign that you can change... :azn:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #161 on: October 05, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »
You fell in love to be let down.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #162 on: October 05, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »
You are tempting me to provide some clarification, but I'm not gunna.  :biggrin:

As long as the clarification wasn't just "They just want to focus on other songs, they're not really preparing this ultra special particular show, but it's too fun to see you convinced of the contrary" :D

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »
1- Disappear
2- Take Away My Pain
3- The Killing Hand

These are my must.

4- The Glass Prison
5- In The Presence Of Enemies (I and II)

And I don't care full Octavarium but I hope I'll hear at least "Razor's Edge" section again but I don't think DT tends to do medleys anymore after MP leaving.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2018, 08:03:05 PM »
Wishlist:
  1. You Or Me (Demo Version)
  2. Raw Dog
  3. Disappear

Realistic:
  1. Wither (needs some U.S. exposure!!)
  2. Behind the Veil
  3. Surrender to Reason

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:10:57 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline JLa

« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2018, 02:51:44 AM »
Hmmm ...

1. The Glass Prison. The first DT song I saw live (my first concert was the SDOIT tour). Haven't seen it since.  :metal
2. About to Crash (reprise) + Losing Time (is this allowed? Please? Can't have one without the other!  :angel:)
3. Learning to Live. They should finish with this, JP soloing in the end, and people singing and clapping and we all had the best time of our lives  :heart

Honorable mentions:
The song I like the most from DT14  ;D
Just Let Me Breathe! Preferably with some artistic tweaks and improv a'la OIAL (that rockin' mid section is a-w-e-s-o-m-e!)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2018, 06:32:48 PM »
Don't really understand the "be realistic" thing... There's like two DT songs ever that aren't likely choices for them to play live, and even those aren't that far of a stretch that they might.

But anyway...

- The Killing Hand
- Octavarium
- Light Fuse and Get Away

- Anna Lee
- In the Presence of Enemies

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2018, 02:41:24 AM »
Well, if I make a list of Octavarium, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Illumination Theory that is definitively not realistic.

Offline Lowe2005

« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2018, 05:22:58 AM »
1. Home
2. Lines in the Sand
3. A Nightmare to Remember

My other two would be In the Name of God and Voices. I hooe this is still open for ‘voting’. This was harder than I thought, most of my potential choices are over 10 minutes long and I ruled out anything Mangini has played in front of an audience.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2018, 12:30:12 PM »
There's like two DT songs ever that aren't likely choices for them to play live, and even those aren't that far of a stretch that they might.

I can't think of another highly unlikely song to be played (or played again) other than The Best of Times..

I mean, for sure there are certain songs with less chances than others.. Honor Thy Father, Never Enough, You Not Me, Take Away My Pain, Status Seeker, TOWHTSTS, Light Fuse and Get Away (and I hope they're on the same page with me, also New Millenium and Just Let me Breathe)... come to mind... But I guess all of these still have very good chances to be played live at least once in one of the future tours..

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #170 on: October 10, 2018, 11:50:05 AM »
1. The Glass Prison
2. Octavarium
3. Outcry

HM:
Blind Faith
Lines In The Sand

Offline DTinTX

« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2018, 07:31:23 PM »
Hey everyone!  Newbie in town... take it easy on me.

1.  Enigma Machine
2.  Peruvian Skies
3.  Honor Thy Father

Honorable mentions:

4.  Disappear
5.  Strange Deja Vu

« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2018, 08:26:37 AM »
Hi everyone..I'm new in the forum..

My votes go to:

- The glass prison
- lines in the sand
- erotomania + voices
Paolo Carraro Band - progressive rock band from Italy

Offline Pettor

« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
1. Glass Prison
If you have a song like this you should play it. For me this is clearly the song that makes most sense to consider as a "hit" and should be played as such. Fans love it and it works really well for people who likes metal but aren't very excited about progressive metal. This song is usually how I introduce DT.
2. Octavarium
This is their true masterpiece in my mind. The song is gorgeous and one hell of a emotional rollercoaster live. Seen it once and been to their shows about 10 times, and that is just crazy considering how fantastic this is.
3. The Count of Tuscany
Just the ending alone makes it worth playing live. The crowd singing along and the spacey middle section is fantastic.

4. (close 3) Illumination Theory
Not a favorite on CD but live I would argue it's one of their best. Such a crowd pleaser and the energy is sooooo good!  :metal

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2018, 03:17:21 PM »
1- Don't look past me
2- Just let me breathe
3- You not me
4- Home
5- Stream of Consciousness
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...