Author Topic: Top 3 (or 5) songs you would like to see on the next tour?  (Read 16747 times)

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
Re: Top 3 (or 5) songs you would like to see on the next tour?
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2018, 10:20:41 AM »
@Sebastián Pratesi  Thanks for that info man! I certainly didn't know any of that..

It was released as both VHS and DVD, I have them both!  The VHS did not have any bonus tracks on though from memory.

But yeah, there's this too.. If AMBI is there, is only as a bonus track.. And even if it were there as official track, is time to bring these (or at least just Erotomania) to a fresh release... not to mention with a newer drummer..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2018, 10:22:42 AM »
1. Surrender to Reason
2. The Glass Prison
3. Lost Not Forgotten

Online pg1067

« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »
???  No, it is a DVD.

I have always thought that *Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York was realeased as VHS, like 5 Years in a Livetime and Images and Words: Live in Tokyo, and only afterwards released as DVD (like you can nowadays release a given DVD in Blu-ray)..

Ok, never mind.. I always count from Budokan onwards, about this kind of things..

I didn't know it had been released on VHS, but I guess it was.  I bought it on DVD as soon as I knew about it, which was before 6DOIT.  If you only have the VHS, I STRONGLY recommend getting the DVD because the band commentary track alone is worth the price of admission.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »
Thanks for participating in this, guys.  The band thought our top picks were pretty cool.  I can't say whether any of our picks will factor in, but the tour concept is pretty exciting. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
Thanks for participating in this, guys.  The band thought our top picks were pretty cool.  I can't say whether any of our picks will factor in, but the tour concept is pretty exciting.

What are the compiled results?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2018, 11:25:25 AM »
Good question.  The top picks were:

1.      Octavarium
2.      The Glass Prison
3.      Surrender To Reason / Blind Faith (tie)
4.      In the Name of God
5.      The Killing Hand

I also made a shameless plug for Take Away My Pain because I have been really wanting to hear it for years. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online pg1067

« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »

Tease!

Very cool that they sought out fan input.  Thanks!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2018, 11:29:18 AM »
They didn't.  But in the past, they have expressed interest, so I decided to proactively do it this time around. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2018, 12:09:06 PM »

1.      Octavarium
2.      The Glass Prison
5.      The Killing Hand

I also made a shameless plug for Take Away My Pain because I have been really wanting to hear it for years.

IMO, that's a really good list of tunes. I'd be happy to see them play any of those.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2018, 12:09:31 PM »

1.      Octavarium
2.      The Glass Prison
5.      The Killing Hand

All of these songs are favorites of mine (and I really like TAMP), so if they decide to include at least a couple of them, I'll be quite happy :metal

They didn't.  But in the past, they have expressed interest, so I decided to proactively do it this time around. 

Thanks for doing this, Bosk! :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »

:metal :metal

now it's in JPs hands

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2018, 12:20:45 PM »

:metal :metal

now it's in JPs hands

JP: "Hey Bosk, we're getting in tour mode, do you see people on the forum voicing their preferences?"
Bosk: "Actually I ran a quick survey, here's the list of the most wanted songs!"
JP: "Oh, cool, let's see!!!"
*sees Octavarium at the top*
*deep sigh*
"They're never gonna let that one go, mh? I really have to relearn it sometime"

:lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »
I already thought Octavarium was a longshot, given its length.  But given what they are planning, I think it is even more of a longshot now.  But:  (1) that's all I'll say on that; and (2) I could be wrong.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
I already thought Octavarium was a longshot, given its length.  But given what they are planning, I think it is even more of a longshot now.  But:  (1) that's all I'll say on that; and (2) I could be wrong.

20+ min epic confirmed for the new album :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2018, 12:33:05 PM »
:lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2018, 12:33:14 PM »
But given what they are planning

Touring with an opening act with, therefore, less time to play?
Playing the entire new album? (daring move, after The Astonishing)
Playing SFAM? (unlikely, they're not gonna become an anniversaries band)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »
oh damn that nugget is just loaded for speculation  :lol

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »

1.      Octavarium
2.      The Glass Prison
5.      The Killing Hand

Wow I would die if these 5 songs was on the setlist. StR is not my favorite but BF would be so cool even though I know James would have hard time with the chorus. They could do some fixing/rearragement for TKH, that will work well in a live setup. Interesting to hear what they are planning!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2018, 02:23:54 PM »
1. Octavarium: seriously, if they play this one, I will definitely get tickets. Would love to see it live

2. Innocence Faded: a top 10 DT song for me, that I would love to see performed live, even though it might not be realistic.

3. Blind Faith: I bet this would be amazing.

---

4. You Not Me: I'm completely serious. It would be hilarious to see them churn out this 'hit' and completely own it on stage, while casual fans start staring wondering what the hell is happening.

5. Home: I want to feel the 'womp womp', I've never seen this one live before.

EDIT: apparently I need to learn to read the last page as well, before posting. Too late, what a bummer.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2018, 02:40:14 PM »
Well, I don't think your votes would really have changed the results, so no big deal. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2018, 03:01:24 PM »
4. You Not Me: I'm completely serious. It would be hilarious to see them churn out this 'hit' and completely own it on stage, while casual fans start staring wondering what the hell is happening.

I think it would work well live actually.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2018, 03:03:29 PM »
You Not Me is a good song and I want to see it live.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2018, 03:05:20 PM »
And then JP got the list of our most wanted, bailed on Octavarium because it's too long, came to the forum out of curiosity, saw at least two fans talking good of You Not Made and went "hey, what not".

And that's the story of how in the next your You Not Me will be played and Octavarium won't :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »

I think it would work well live too.  It is NOT a very good song.  But I think it would be okay live.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »

I think it would work well live too.  It is NOT a very good song.  But I think it would be okay live.

Fair.  I'd replace "while casual fans start staring wondering what the hell is happening" with "while the old time fans actually enjoy the song" and likely consider myself one of them.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »
@Sebastián Pratesi  Thanks for that info man! I certainly didn't know any of that..
:)
Los DVDs acá vinieron recién en 2008; quizás por eso también.
https://www.yenny.com/dvds/musical__recitales--7/metropolis_2000___scenes_from_new_york--465563.htm
https://www.dbndiscos.com/buscar.aspx?tipo=Artista&texto=dream%20theater

Thanks for asking in the first place! :)
It's great to see so much love for "Surrender to reason". I think it speaks a lot about the strengths of the band and the bond with fans.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2018, 08:42:08 PM »
Touring with an opening act with, therefore, less time to play?
Opening slot for the winner of the treasure hunt!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2018, 02:08:26 AM »
Bosk's "given what they are planning" comment made me super hyped for this tour! What COULD they be planning?? I think it's possible that they play the whole new album. But it will be a single disc album, so around 60-70 mins, which would leave enough time to play loads of fan favs, including 8vm. So maybe it's something else.

just play the whole new album twice
any rock can be made to roll

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2018, 02:22:05 AM »
DT
Supporting act: SoA :biggrin:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2018, 02:56:46 AM »
I thought one thing they could be planning that would make Octavarium a far-fetched idea is that they move through their discography chronologically, playing one song from every album. Then again, they have done that same thing at least on two tours before, so I don't consider this to be a very likely option.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2018, 03:19:43 AM »
I thought one thing they could be planning that would make Octavarium a far-fetched idea is that they move through their discography chronologically, playing one song from every album. Then again, they have done that same thing at least on two tours before, so I don't consider this to be a very likely option.

Or maybe the thing they have planned is actually a very Mangini-era-heavy setlist (as indicated in the other thread)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
You Not Me: I'm completely serious. It would be hilarious to see them churn out this 'hit' and completely own it on stage, while casual fans start staring wondering what the hell is happening.

Casual fan: "What the hell is this mediocre, generic, dad-rock they are playing? Are they covering a SoA song?" (I actually liked YNM when FII came out, I thought it was one of the more enjoyable songs on the album. Though as I didn't find much enjoyable, that is not high praise.

On topic... that is a pretty good Top 5 despite 8VM being the only one I would personally clamor for. Though I generally think Majesty/WDaDU songs should be retired from live performances.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
Lots of interesting speculation about my comments above.  Just to be clear:  I will not comment on ANY of the speculation because I do not want to indirectly give anything away.  Feel free to continue to discuss, but I will not be adding anything to that conversation.

Offline themkr

« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2018, 12:51:13 PM »
Octavarium
Scarred
Endless Sacrifice

Offline DTA

« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2018, 12:54:51 PM »
YNM live would be an incredible rarity. I think it was only played a couple times on the FII tour but is actually a great hard-rock song that I think would work really well live. I wish MP would've never commented on this song because now all the fans tend to dislike it too, probably just because of that.