Author Topic: Top 3 (or 5) songs you would like to see on the next tour?  (Read 16749 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Top 3 (or 5) songs you would like to see on the next tour?
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2018, 12:11:03 PM »
Here's my list:

1. Surrender to Reason - My 2nd favorite song on DT12 after IT and it hasn't been played at all. The whole song has an amazing vibe and there's THAT JP solo section with the most amazing drums and bass rhythms underneath, courtesy of Myung and Mangini :metal

2. Stream of Consciousness - One of their best instrumentals and they haven't played it since the TOT tour. It would also help James rest his voice during the show.

3. The Killing Hand - My favorite song on WDADU. Hasn't been played in a looooooooooooong time and it would be the perfect song to celebrate WDADU's 30 years in 2019. No need to play the whole album or anything, just include TKH.

Honorable mentions:

4. Beyond This Life - Also one of my favorites. If they're going to include anything from SFAM, it should be this song. It's perfect from start to finish. Also, 2019 = 20 years of SFAM.

5. Blind Faith - Not a short song, but not too long either. Would love to see this lineup play it. The instrumental section is SICK.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2018, 12:29:43 PM »
1. Solitary Shell - I am shocked that no one mentioned this one, I thought it was a fan favorite and hasn't been played for ages! It is short, catchy and THAT Bridge. Also Double Neck Guitar.

2. The Glass Prison - Everything has been said about it, just for getting counted another time.

3. Octavarium - As the new epic closer for the encore. Hasn't been played since the corresponding tour. It would be interesting to see what Mike adds to it and if Jordan touches the intro.

4. The Enemy Inside. Killer Song, that works great live.

5. Home - Maybe with a jam in the middle?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »
1. Solitary Shell - I am shocked that no one mentioned this one, I thought it was a fan favorite and hasn't been played for ages! It is short, catchy and THAT Bridge. Also Double Neck Guitar.

If they play Surrender to Reason and/or Octavarium, they're going to need a 12 string guitar anyway, so just play Solitary Shell too! :biggrin:
And, while you're at it, add Heaven's Cove too  :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2018, 02:09:17 PM »
Well, since I am new and only saw TA, (shows with and without changed set). I will be happy to any of it. But, if I could choose:

1. Octavarium - the most original and cool rock song ever.    :metal

2. (now it's a bit harder to choose). BAI, - I understand it's been played a lot, but I love it and haven't seen it.

3. In the Name of God or In the Presence of Enemies - 1 & 2 - please forgive me for the little rule bend here.  Too Hard To Decide.

Honorable

4.  Far From Heaven

5. Just Let Me Breathe

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2018, 03:49:48 PM »
1. Octavarium (in its entirety - someone above suggested they should play it without the intro, and that would really take away from the song's greatness to me). Over the last few years it's become my favourite DT song.

2. In The Presence of Enemies. Another favourite of mine, not sure if it's been played since the Systematic Chaos tour. In any case I've never seen it but would love to.

3. Misunderstood. Just a very cool song and quite unique in their catalogue.

Honourable mentions:

4. Illumination Theory. Love this piece and would like for it to become a staple, unlikely as that probably is due to its length.

5. Eve. Just a beautiful song.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2018, 03:53:16 PM »
1. In the Name of God: Saw it back on the 2004 tour and it was incredible.  Wouldn't mind seeing it again.
2. Blind Faith: This is the song from SDOIT Disc One that I haven't seen live yet that I'd really love to see.
3. Outcry: Love the middle section.

Honorable Mentions:
4. Panic Attack: I would love to see Mangini tackle this one.
5. In the Presence of Enemies: My favorite of their latter day epics.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2018, 06:09:41 PM »
I was just thinking about doing a poll about this, but with songs that they haven't played with MM yet... This is a good idea too.. I could anyways do the poll a few weeks from now with the songs orderly according to these results so is easier to find the songs for most (I was thinking of giving 5 options)..

Ok, so I'll make two lists, in order to answer both questions..

Songs I like to see/listen next time I see them:

1) *any song from Train of Thought*: favorite album and out of the approximately 75 songs I've already seen live none of them was off this album.. I could've easily full the three spots with songs from this album, but feels like cheating and/or pointless..

2) Octavarium: well, talking about cheating, if someone is asking me what one extra song I'd include in a given setlist if I have that power, I'd surely use my gift to choose between the epics, and while this isn't my fav epic (TCoT is) I haven't see it live, as many other ppl..

3) The Ministry of Lost Souls: yeah, I've heard here and there that this song live might loose some of its strength, but I'm willing to live, die and kill to verify it.. I just love the song, and even when is a very unlikely option because is not a fan favorite and also takes a lot of time to the setlist, I'll continue to pray for seeing it at least once..

Ok, and now songs they haven't played with Mangini yet that I like to see... someday soon:

-Erotomania: sick instrumental (also, it's not in any dvd)..
-Voices: because you cannot play the previous without playing this one.. Not a big fan of it, but only the beginning and the "thought disorder-dream control" section make already the song very worth to see it live (also, it's not in any dvd)..
-Surrender to Reason: killer song, and one that will definitely see the light in one of the next two or three tours for sure (also, it's not in any dvd)..

tl/dr: you just missed lots of DT lyric references..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »
Considering its popularity and the fact that it hasn't been played since 2006, it does feel like it is time to bring back the song Octavarium.  I have to think that a lot of "on the fence about going" fans would go just to see that.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2018, 07:51:32 PM »
Can I change my top song i want to see?

Because Blind Faith would be perfect.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2018, 06:04:58 AM »
Considering its popularity and the fact that it hasn't been played since 2006, it does feel like it is time to bring back the song Octavarium.  I have to think that a lot of "on the fence about going" fans would go just to see that.

Agreed. I'm actually surprised to see it in so many people's lists here, even though it's arguably my favorite DT song ever. If they were to play that, that is an insta-buy for me, no question, I would be going for that song alone.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Addy

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2018, 06:05:09 AM »
Having seen these guys live 7 times my choice is limited. But there are some songs I'd love to see:

1. Octavarium
2. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (only heard parts)
3. Home

I hope for the whole SFAM in the setlist sometime. Maybe next year for a 20th anniversary?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2018, 06:30:32 AM »
Noxon said it won't happen on the tour next year (he says it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dreamtheater/comments/9asnj4/possible_2019_sfam_20_year_anniversary_tour/)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2018, 07:03:09 AM »

Agreed. I'm actually surprised to see it in so many people's lists here, even though it's arguably my favorite DT song ever. If they were to play that, that is an insta-buy for me, no question, I would be going for that song alone.

Yeah I agree, I think them playing 8V again would be a good draw.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2018, 08:01:05 AM »
8VM, Stream of Consciousness, Surrender to Reason. It's crazy to think that I actually could see those songs now that the band have made NC a staple! :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »
It's not a certainty but they always said that they would play in future tours the missing DT12 songs (missing from the Along for the Ride tour I mean).

They've played Behind the Veil in the anniversary tour, they played The Bigger Picture in the I&WAB tour, I think it's quite safe to assume, although the certainty will only be there once the tour starts, that we'll get Surrender to Reason next time.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2018, 08:31:43 AM »
1. The glass Prison - I would love to hear MM on this!
2. A Nightmare to Remember - since the drummer’s audiction, the same above.
3. Beyond this life (with extended solo) - just to see this great song again and some improvisation.
Honorable mentions:
4. Surrender to Reason - to complete the MM era songs live.
5. Stream of Counciousness - I agree, great instrumental.
Since it seems DT will be aware of our "people choices", I'll change a bit my list and make it a bit more realistic:
1. 8V - I agree, this song must return for the next tour!
2. Stream of Counciousness - now, just to make more votes, this song deserves it!
3. Surrender to Reason
HM:
4. TGP
5. ANtR
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2018, 10:15:09 AM »

You need to watch this, then ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZMnjSL129I

-Voices: because you cannot play the previous without playing this one.. Not a big fan of it, but only the beginning and the "thought disorder-dream control" section make already the song very worth to see it live (also, it's not in any dvd)..

Both appear on the Metropolis 2000 DVD (Live Scenes From New York)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »

Yes it is.  The entirety of "A Mind Beside Itself" appears appears as one of the "bonus tracks" (or I guess it's three separate tracks) on the Scenes from New York DVD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_2000:_Scenes_from_New_York
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »

Damn.  That was tasty.  :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2018, 10:41:20 AM »

Just my opinion, but I think he plays it better than Portnoy :biggrin:

Offline romdrums

« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2018, 12:02:15 PM »

Just my opinion, but I think he plays it better than Portnoy :biggrin:

I would agree.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »
1) Surrender to Reason (if it fits the style of the new album)
2) Surrender to Reason (if JP wants to break out the 12-string and stand again)
3) Surrender to Reason (I'd like to hear it I guess)

Probably couldn't be more clear than that!

HM:
Our New World
Caught in a Web
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2018, 01:17:53 PM »
1. Blind Faith
2. The Glass Prison
3. Octavarium

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »
(if JP wants to break out the 12-string and stand again)

By the looks of it, they might play Octavarium again next year, so if they're using the 12 string for that song, why not STR too? :biggrin:

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2018, 02:32:01 PM »
So, I was just reading the thread and notice my post might've been not written well for the purpose of the survey, so I'll summarize it and correct it here:

1) In the Name of God: because is the one with more votes from ToT as of yet (although SoC is not that far), and I think it'll remain that way..
2) Octavarium
3) The Ministry of Lost Souls

HM
4) Erotomania
5) Surrender to Reason (because, even when after Erotomania it would feel odd if they don't follow it with Voices, I'd spare that little oddity (?) if they play STR instead... and actually lots of other songs as well.. I'm not much into Voices as a whole anyways....

But is not a DVD... is a VHS.. :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2018, 02:41:06 PM »

Ummm....

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2018, 02:43:12 PM »
Kind of surprised by the love for Ministry of Lost Souls.  I always thought the song was fine, and I enjoyed it live, but thought a lot of fans really didn't like it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »
Kind of surprised by the love for Ministry of Lost Souls.  I always thought the song was fine, and I enjoyed it live, but thought a lot of fans really didn't like it.

Yeah I've always thought that was a sleeper song. I remember not many people were keen on it when SC first came out, including myself, but over the years it's really grown on me. I think it's the one from SC that has aged most gracefully, even that instrumental section in the middle. I love that it takes its sweet time and tells a story with such a beautiful melody in the verses, and the guitars are lovely as well. Great hook, I'd love for them to bring it back for a tour if they're willing to make 15 minutes of room for it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2018, 03:00:38 PM »

I love it and have no problem with it or the instrumental section :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
Me neither, since I completely edited away :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2018, 05:56:09 PM »
Yeah, I am surprised too.  But even though I don't much care for the song, I bet I would enjoy it live.  Or at least wouldn't mind it.

???  No, it is a DVD.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2018, 11:20:39 PM »
???  No, it is a DVD.

I have always thought that *Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York was realeased as VHS, like 5 Years in a Livetime and Images and Words: Live in Tokyo, and only afterwards released as DVD (like you can nowadays release a given DVD in Blu-ray)..

Ok, never mind.. I always count from Budokan onwards, about this kind of things..

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2018, 06:58:01 AM »
It was released as both VHS and DVD, I have them both!  The VHS did not have any bonus tracks on though from memory.

With regards to Ministry Of Lost Souls, it's the opposite of what was said above for me.  It was an instant favourite on SC for me and my love for it has waned a little over time but I still included it on my list.  I don't recall seeing it live although I did see the SC tour so would be interested to see how it works, some gorgeous epic guitar playing from JP on this one that I'd love to see live.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2018, 07:31:37 AM »
I have always thought that *Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York was realeased as VHS, like 5 Years in a Livetime and Images and Words: Live in Tokyo, and only afterwards released as DVD (like you can nowadays release a given DVD in Blu-ray)..
There was a problem with the original run of European PAL DVDs, which ended up being recalled and destroyed by Warner before release date. The VHSs (and I think some working copies of the DVD) were released in April 2001, but the remastered/corrected DVDs came out in November/December. Maybe that was the cause of confusion.

Sources: https://web.archive.org/web/20011024225303/https://dreamtheater.net:80/newsdt.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20020210132028/https://dreamtheater.net:80/newsdt.htm#paldvd4

Offline JustDefyYou

« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2018, 07:34:21 AM »
Hey all, had to make an account to post on this one. I've been popping in to check on new album updates (great job to all who have been compiling that info). Anyway... my picks would be:

1 Stream of Consciousness- I would love to see what Mangini would do with this one.
2 Solitary Shell- A great song to change the vibe (also just a great song)
:hefdaddy Octavarium- Seems like everyone else wants to hear it too, and rightfully so.   

4- Fatal Tragedy
5- In the Name of God