Author Topic: Top 3 (or 5) songs you would like to see on the next tour?  (Read 16727 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Top 3 (or 5) songs you would like to see on the next tour?
« on: September 25, 2018, 11:05:01 AM »
Please list and rank the top 3 songs you would like to see played next tour if it were totally up to you to come up with a set list.  You may also list two "honorable mentions" that don't make your top 3.  Feel free to explain why you chose those particular songs.  I would prefer people to be somewhat realistic, but that isn't strictly necessary.  Go.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 3 (or 5) songs you would like to see on the next tour?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »
1. Blind Faith
2. The Glass Prison
3. Octavarium

These are essentially my most favorite DT songs that I have yet to see live

Honorable Mentions:

4. Anna Lee
5. Status Seeker

I chose those two as honorable mentions because I feel like those are two songs I really like that I feel I am extremely unlikely to ever see live
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:56:05 PM by cramx3 »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
...and thank you in advance for letting the guys in the band know of our choices.  ;)

My choices:
1. Octavarium
2. Stream of consciousness
3. The Ministry of lost souls

I find it odd that this is the era I ended up picking songs from, but most of the 90s classics and the newer stuff have been played quite a bit over the last eight years. They also managed to play so many songs we all love during the time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:13:45 AM by Mladen »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 11:33:55 AM »
1. The Great Debate
2. Surrender to Reason
3. In the Name of God

HM:
4. Beyond this Life
5. Lost not Forgotten
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:31:55 PM by Dream Team »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:34:09 AM »
Assuming they can work up vocal melody alterations that work:

1. The Killing Hand -- Saw it the first two times I saw DT in '92 and was unfamiliar with the song.  Haven't seen it since.

2. Scarred -- Not exactly a rarity, but it's my favorite pre-SFAM song not on I&W (and maybe even if I&W is included).  Octavarium because I haven't seen it since 2005!

3. 6DOIT -- I'd love to see the whole thing, but that isn't realistic, so as much of it as possible (with Goodnight Kiss being the lowest priority).  They did SS, AtCR and LT/GF when I saw them open for Yes in 2004, but I haven't otherwise seen any of it.

Honorable mention:  Octavarium (without the extended intro) Scarred and Anna Lee

**Edited to include numerical rankings**
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:58:36 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:35:24 AM »
Basing this on songs I haven't seen (I've only seen The Astonishing tour (without the encores) and the IW&B tour) and want...

1. Space-Dye Vest - because it's a brilliant piece of music and deserves more plays
2. Beneath the Surface - my favorite DT ballad next to Space-Dye Vest
3. Far From Heaven - a beautiful ballad, if not Space-Dye Vest, then this, because it's a great Jordan-James duet, beautiful song
4. Disappear - I am going ballad heavy on purpose, because I LOVE these songs, they make me cry
5. The Count of Tuscany - if you're gonna play an epic, play a relatively newer one, bring this sucker back, it's incredible

Honorable mention: The Ministry of Lost Souls, because I adore that track and it's an under-appreciated one that deserves to be played again, it's been long enough
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »
By the way, at the other end of the spectrum, the following are my "bathroom break" songs:

Innocence Faded/Lie/The Mirror
New Millennium
The Great Debate
I Walk Beside You
Repentance/The Ministry of Lost Souls
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 11:45:38 AM »
1. The Glass Prison. About time to bring this monster of adrenaline back.
2. The Count of Tuscany. Never saw it live and as someone mentioned above, it's time to pay homage to a more recent classic.
3. Forsaken. Never saw it live, and you need some shorter, catchier tune in the set.

Honorable mentions:
4. You Not Me. I shit you not, I have been lucky enough to see Dream Theater many times in the last 20 years (I'm 14 months away from the 20th anniversary of my first DT show), so I really have seen everything I really wanted to see. It's time to break the stigma about this song which flies by in 5 minutes anyway.
5. These Walls. As with Forsaken, there has to be some easier and shorter songs too.

...and thank you in advance for letting the guys in the band know of our choices.  ;)

I've come to realize that whenever Bosk asks questions related to the band on this forum, rarely it's just a random question without any further motive.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »
I'm going to keep it kinda realistic.

1. Octavarium - one of my favourite DT songs nowadays and I was too young to see the 8VM tour and they didn't come here anyway. :) Regardless of the setlist, if this song is there, I'm in and probably going for the first row again.

2. Beneath the Surface - I love ADTOE and this is one of my favourite songs from it. I think it's time to stop playing BAI and OTBOA (only witnessed BAI live once, but saw the latest setlist; OTBOA I saw twice), and maybe play some other beautiful songs from that album. Not really interested in seeing Bridges in the Sky again (they played it on European festival 2015 tours) too.

3. The Ministry of Lost Souls - I love this one. They already played The Count of Tuscany again outside of BC&SL tour, maybe this song can make its glorious return?

Honourable mentions are:

4. This Is the Life - well, basically same as #2, I'd love to see this one live.

5. Stream of Consciousness - a well-deserved rest for James in the setlist and also a kickass instrumental I wouldn't mind seeing again with Mangini behind the drums.

I hope they don't go with The Glass Prison though, I could totally do without this song. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 12:07:49 PM »
I feel like my three are pretty realistic options -

Blind Faith
Beyond This Life
The Glass Prison

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »
FYI, when tallying this information before...er, passing along the data, I will disregard any posts that failed to actually rank them as requested in my initial post.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 12:31:45 PM »
FYI, when tallying this information before...er, passing along the data, I will disregard any posts that failed to actually rank them as requested in my initial post.

Yikes, I missed that - here are my three ranked -

1. The Glass Prison
2. Beyond This Life
3. Blind Faith

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 12:34:12 PM »
:tup

Offline Kocak

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »
1. War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All - Such great concert tracks, I would like to see how Mangini would interpret these songs. (They are usually played together, that's why I put them like this.)

2. These Walls - I love the drum work on this song, such a pleasure to listen to. Also, I think it's one of the most instrumentally reserved and cohesive Dream Theater songs.

3. Outcry - I don't think the mix did this song justice, the complex middle section is a joy to listen to.

---

Honorable Mentions:

4. Repentance - JP solo, enough said.

5. Speak to Me - Such a beautiful outtake, I think it'd be a nice setlist break.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »
1) In the Presence of Enemies: Hasn't been played much (if at all?) since SC came out. Seems generally popular here, despite some noodling toward the end. Will give James a chance to shine without attempting any of those early 90s vocal lines.

2) Disappear: One of my favorites and rarely played tracks, a nice change of place and one of their best ballads. Definitely my favorite.

3) Ministry of Lost Souls: Great song, very workable for James, some cool instrumentation parts in the middle.

HM:
Selfishly I would like to see Caught in a Web or Innocence Faded, but I'd prefer to choose songs that will minimize the strain on James.
Raw Dog. Just kidding.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:15:18 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 12:41:33 PM »
1. Stream of Consciousness - One of their best instrumentals and a really great song.  A "favorite" for me.

2. The Ministry of Lost Souls - I think this is an under rated song and the solo section in the middle is just awesome.

3. Forsaken - Another under rated song but is really great all the way through

Honorable mentions:

4. A Nightmare to Remember - Seems like most of the BC&SL songs were lost in the shuffle with MP leaving.  This one would be really great live

5. Another Won - Probably not gonna happen but it's one of their earliest songs and an absolute clasic.  No mistake that it's my username.

I love that we get an opportunity to provide input to the band on this, quite the privlige.  Thanks very much, Bosk for doing this! :tup

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »
1. A Change of Seasons
2. Scarred
3. The Great Debate

HM:

1. Afterlife
2. These Walls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »
1. The Killing Hand-way overdue
2. Octavarium
3. This Dying Soul

There's a big cry for The Glass Prison, which to me had not aged very well, but if they do a Glass Prison/This Dying Soul 1-2 punch, I'd be fine with that. Would make a great encore if you ask me.

Honorable mentions:
4. Surrender To Reason
5. The Path That Divides/The Walking Shadow/My Last Farewell-Doubtful that they'll do an Astonishing suite, but missing the tour, this is my favorite part.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 12:58:26 PM »
Mine:

1.  The Glass Prison:  Has not been done in awhile.  The one show I was at when it was played, I did not get to really enjoy it (the same can be said of two other of my top 10 DT songs, which were also played near the beginning of the set).  It ranks high on most people's lists, and I would think would go over well at any show.

2.  Take Away My Pain:  The rare ballad I would VERY much like to see.  A reappearance is long overdue.

3.  In the Name of God:  Same reasoning.  It is a great song that has not been played much in a LONG time (I don't believe it has been back since the TOT tour).  I think it would likely get a HUGE fan reaction.

Honorable mentions:

4.  A Nightmare To Remember:  I love this song, despite it slightly overstaying its welcome toward the end, and I bet it slays live. 

5.  Misunderstood:  A nice "consolation prize" from Six Degrees of TGP were not played.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 01:01:45 PM »
3.  In the Name of God:  Same reasoning.  It is a great song that has not been played much in a LONG time (I don't believe it has been back since the TOT tour).  I think it would likely get a HUGE fan reaction.\

It was played during the Progressive Nation 2009 tour.  This was one of the setlists I saw for that and it's funny how it has a few really popular songs from this thread on it such as ITNOT, TCOT, BTL, ANTR and that Solitary Shell extended instrumental was sick!  https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2009/convention-hall-asbury-park-nj-13d7b5dd.html

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 01:03:30 PM »
1. The Killing Hand-way overdue

Great call.  That almost made my list.  My only slight misgiving is that when it has been played, James has not been able to hit the big climax "I am the killing HAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNND!" since the early days.  I wouldn't mind if he came up with an alternate harmony, as long as it had power.  But it has always seemed like he was going for the big note and just missed it and went off key.  Since it is the climax of the song, that can take away from the overall impact of the song to me. 

3.  In the Name of God:  Same reasoning.  It is a great song that has not been played much in a LONG time (I don't believe it has been back since the TOT tour).  I think it would likely get a HUGE fan reaction.\

It was played during the Progressive Nation 2009 tour.  This was one of the setlists I saw for that and it's funny how it has a few really popular songs from this thread on it such as ITNOT, TCOT, BTL, ANTR and that Solitary Shell extended instrumental was sick!  https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2009/convention-hall-asbury-park-nj-13d7b5dd.html

Oh, I didn't realize that.  I didn't see them on that tour and had forgotten they played it.  Still, for how liked the song seems to be, it is still pretty underrepresented through the years.  AND it will be a decade since then by the time they tour, so that is plenty of a gap to bring it back, IMO.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 01:08:48 PM »

Fair; I for some reason misremembered the OP as "3-5" for whatever reason. Here's what I got.

1. Space-Dye Vest
2. Beneath the Surface
3. Far From Heaven

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Ministry of Lost Souls, Enigma Machine
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 01:13:58 PM »
AND it will be a decade since then by the time they tour, so that is plenty of a gap to bring it back, IMO.

This is true enough.  It's an awesome song and one I was really looking forward to catching one day and I got lucky I saw two shows that two (they didn't cross over any songs besides the BCSL ones).  I'd have put it on my list if I didn't catch it before.

I was actually thinking about how cool it is that DT have so many awesome songs and I had to think pretty hard about which songs I really love that I haven't had a chance to see and it's a pretty small list actually.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 01:21:15 PM »
1. Blind Faith - Amazing song, long time no see! Would love to see MM's interpretation on this one. And as it's a James' composition, he could feel more confortable to adapt possible struggling bits in his lines.

2. Surrender to Reason - Would love to se it live for the first time.

3. The Killing Hand - Almost the same reason as Blind Faith. And would absolutely love if they create a new intro as they did for every other time they played it live, like Another Hand, perhaps in the vein of Trial of Tears '14 - of course that's up to the band :lol

Honorable Mentos:

4. Ytsejam - Hasn't been played since what? 2011 pre-ADToE european leg? And would spare James for some time.
5. This Is The Life or Lost Not Forgotten, they're in the same tier, would be very happy to see any of these ones getting some attention.

4.  A Nightmare To Remember:  I love this song, despite it slightly overstaying its welcome toward the end, and I bet it slays live.

Nice one. Would love to see MM slaying properly those blast beats at the end.  :metal
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:29:42 PM by lucasembarbosa »

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 01:27:55 PM »
Double post.  :tdwn

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »
1. Only A Matter of Time  :o
2. Lost Not Forgotten  :corn
3. Anna Lee  :yarr

Been awhile for all above (LNF since first tour with MM)

Honorable mentions:
1. Voices (favorite JP solo)  :hefdaddy
2. In The Name of God (my favorite "heavy" DT song)  :metal

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 01:45:04 PM »
I've only seen DT 4 times so there are a lot of songs I've haven't seen live. I haven't seen many of the classics yet: Metropolis, PMU, TTT, among others. But I will restrict to songs they haven't played in a while:

Stream of consciousness
Only a matter of time
Octavarium

HM: Disappear, In the presence of enemies.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:55:59 PM by nattmorker »

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »
1. Only a Matter of Time
2. The Killing Hand
3. Far From Heaven

HM: Disappear, New Millennium

Reasons:
1. Never seen any of them live (except NM in 1998 when I was 14... and I don't remember that)
2. When Dream and Day Unite has been very under-utilized since 2006. Nothing from the album the last 4 years MP was with them... and only Afterlife has been pulled out in the last 6 years (since Fortune and Ytsejam were played on MM's first tour) - and I didn't get to see a show that summer since I don't live in Europe. The two I've chosen haven't been played since 2004. It is time. And there's no rule saying you can't play two from your first album in one show!
3. Far From Heaven, great song and the only one I haven't heard from that album. I doubt they'll ever play it again, but if I can give them a nudge....
4. Disappear is amazing. It deserves to be played more than twice. Must be mentioned.
5. I've always liked New Millennium. I found it funny that JLB said he wasn't a big fan of this song, because it's actually the rhythm of the vocals that I really like. I'd like to see it again, finally.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline krands85

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 02:15:19 PM »
1. Octavarium - My #3 DT song, I haven't seen it live, it's a big fan favourite and it hasn't been played in ages
2. In the Name of God - Similar to the above, except its my #4 DT song. Probably not as big a favourite as 8VM, but I'm sure it would slay live and get great reactions
3. Endless Sacrifice - Another one of my favourites (just outside my top 10)that I've not seen live. I think it would work well live, with the trading solos and Train of Thought has been a little under-represented recently I think. However, this one has been played a lot more recently than the first 2.

Honourable mentions:
4. The Glass Prison - same sorts of reasons as the above - time it made a comeback!
5. Sacrificed Sons - I've always loved this song, especially the ending and I find it a bit underrated, I'd love to see it live. I also think this is probably a fairly comfortable song for James to sing night after night.

Just for fun, I'll add a few more I'd love to see: In the Presence of Enemies, The Ministry of Lost Souls, Lines in the Sand, Surrender to Reason.

The only problem is, my choices range from long to very long. If they happen to have an epic ~20 minute track on the new album, it's almost a certainty that they'd play it, meaning another epic (eg. 8VM) would be unlikely. That's why I relegated ITPOE down to honourable mentions.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Lethean

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 02:19:13 PM »

1. Disappear
2. The Killing Hand
3. Take Away My Pain

Honorable Mention:
Repentance
Anna Lee

The reasons - I've never seen any of these live.  I also haven't seen Behind the Veil or Surrender to Reason, and would love to, but I feel like there's more of an opportunity for them to bring those out without me having to vote for them. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2018, 02:20:09 PM »
^^ There's a 'technically' for Repentance since you did see that one, just with a cover band :lol

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 02:23:13 PM »
Here it goes:

The Glass Prison
The Great Debate
Octavarium

I know TGD has already been played live, but I think it's one of the best DT songs ever and MM played it beautifully well, can't get tired of watching them playing it on YouTube at some festival in 2011.

Honorable Mentions:

In the Presence of Enemies
Stream of Consciousness

About ItPoE, if they don't play it as a whole song, I'd be pleased with Part 1 only, I think it would be a great show/set opener.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 02:34:26 PM »
^^ There's a 'technically' for Repentance since you did see that one, just with a cover band :lol

Not for me, I got to see Mikael Åkerfeldt sing it with the mic off  :biggrin: and also got to see MP's TSF do it too

Offline DTA

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »
1) Light Fuse And Get

I think this is very unlikely as the band barely played it after the "tour" for WDADU.

2) Speak To Me

I think this one is actually likely to appear again. The band definitely seems to like the FII album more than fans seems to think as it does get represented pretty often. I think they might lay off the big songs as they did Trial of Tears on DT12 and Sons of Apollo is playing Lines In The Sand, so I think the bsides are a place they might look. I'd honestly be cool with any rarer FII songs (You Not Me, Take Away My Pain, Anna Lee, The Way It Used To Be, etc)

3) Disappear

A great rarity, and could be a good representative of the 6 Degrees album since the other songs are long as shit and the title track songs have been played pretty often in the past.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »

Not for me, I got to see Mikael Åkerfeldt sing it with the mic off  :biggrin: and also got to see MP's TSF do it too

I have that on the Fan Club CD. To me, instead of Akerfeldt singing a verse, I thought it would've been a lot cooler if he read the spoken word stuff while the band played.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol