Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 98675 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)
« Reply #3675 on: May 17, 2024, 12:40:09 PM »
I don't remember who I sent in my EP... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3676 on: May 17, 2024, 06:35:19 PM »
I don't remember who I sent in my EP... :corn

Dolly Parton, Coven, Black Flag?  :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3677 on: May 21, 2024, 01:44:13 PM »
I haven't been in an update since 3 pages ago.  :'(
You'll have two in the next update! :)

i mean i think one? of my artists has been covered so far, if that, so :lol
Two now! And another to come in the next update.

McStine & Minnemann (sent by HOF)
Yeah this is pretty much along the lines I expected really. I’ve given some listens to both their albums, figured I should give them both a chance. It’s very intelligent music but it doesn’t really engage me emotionally. I don’t know much about McStine but much of what I’ve heard involving Minnemann has had a similar effect. Lots of talent and variety, and some very cool ideas at times, but a little… esoteric maybe? Your Offences and The Horse is Dead have stuck with me pretty well, but nothing else has stood out, even the other songs you included on your EP.

Michael Kelsey (sent by Reaper)
I decided to give Submerged some listens as the album you mostly included songs from. I gather from a quick dip into Lessons While Dreaming that some of his stuff is more singer-songwriter stuff, but despite really liking the track Sleepwalker, his vocals sounded pretty weak (off-puttingly so) and so I didn’t bother with that album. Submerged though, I found myself enjoying more than I expected given my general pickiness when it comes to acoustic guitar albums. Some of the tracks don’t really interest me at all, but the good ones really do capture a gorgeous mood, and the way he uses atmospheric effects to enhance that is quite lovely.

Moonshade (sent by TAC)
Excellent band. Both their albums are great. Their first, Sun Dethroned (which you included a song from), is the type of melodic death metal that I really dig when done well. It has the balance of aggression and melancholy that I love, in some ways like a slightly heavier Insomnium. Nice use of clean vocals here and there as well. The more recent album is great too and a little different - great use of female clean vocals to bring a slightly different sound, but still really high quality, rich music. I checked out one of their earlier EPs as well and it had some good moments but some quite weak ones too.

Mother’s Cake (sent by luke)
This band has been a nice surprise. Or their latest album has at least. The tracks you included on your EP definitely engaged my interest compared with what I'd heard from them before, and thankfully the rest of the album is great too. I gave another listen to their debut and haven't changed my mind, the proggy funk rock is a fun idea but the execution wasn't great. I've also given No Rhyme No Reason some listens and that's pretty cool (especially Enemy, which is a killer tune) but doesn't have the consistency that Cyberfunk has. The latest really is just full of excellent hooks and grooves.

My Morning Jacket (sent by Crow)
I ummed and ahhed a bit on whether to bother checking these guys out - I liked the song on your EP, but the weak vocals were quite a blocker for me. I ended up deciding to give It Still Moves a go, as I’ve been familiar with their name for a long time and so I figured it was worth checking them out. And yeah, it’s not really my cup of tea. Pleasant enough, with some quite compelling moments where there’s an emotional resonance to them. I still dig the guitar motifs in One Big Holiday, and Masterplan is another good’un (with more engaging vocals too). But a lot of the album is just really lacking in punch or good hooks for my tastes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3678 on: May 21, 2024, 02:03:13 PM »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3679 on: May 21, 2024, 02:03:24 PM »
Yay!

The latest Mother's Cake is pretty damn good. I have fond memories of spinning that loads on the first glamping trip away I had with my wife, after my son was born :heart

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3680 on: May 21, 2024, 02:18:32 PM »
i mean yeah the rest of the album is pretty different from the one song i sent, it's nice and breezy and i liked it fine enough but it was very much a "take the one song and dip" album for me  :lol

i think that's true of most of the artists i submitted for the final round admittedly so

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3681 on: May 21, 2024, 02:30:32 PM »
i think that's true of most of the artists i submitted for the final round admittedly so
Yeah I'm well aware that none of these artists may stick, but we'll see. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online HOF

« Reply #3682 on: May 21, 2024, 02:51:55 PM »

McStine & Minnemann (sent by HOF)
Yeah this is pretty much along the lines I expected really. I’ve given some listens to both their albums, figured I should give them both a chance. It’s very intelligent music but it doesn’t really engage me emotionally. I don’t know much about McStine but much of what I’ve heard involving Minnemann has had a similar effect. Lots of talent and variety, and some very cool ideas at times, but a little… esoteric maybe? Your Offences and The Horse is Dead have stuck with me pretty well, but nothing else has stood out, even the other songs you included on your EP.

I'd say this has been the general reaction when I've sent them in roulettes. The first album in particular I just think was a really nice, compact, proggy rock album with some fresh ideas and cool playing. The second is a bit more bloated and probably should have been half as long as it was, but I still like a lot of it. Esoteric is probably a good descriptor. 

If you were of a mind to explore something else with McStine but not Minnemann, The Fringe (McStine plus Nick D'Virgilio and Jonas Reingold) is a little more straight ahead. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3683 on: May 21, 2024, 03:29:39 PM »
I made it!!!!  ;D :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3684 on: May 23, 2024, 11:12:33 AM »
I agree with Micheal Kelley's voice, I think he is a decent singer but I think it can be a miss at times. It's why I enjoy submerged as much as I do, it's his more experimental album.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Completely fair assessment of MK Freefall.

And Jonas Lindberg - that album is dope.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Glasser

I made it!!!!  ;D :lol

Can I have a slice? ... You made pizza right?