Author Topic: What if the next tour is Mangini-era heavy?  (Read 6815 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What if the next tour is Mangini-era heavy?
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2018, 02:42:13 PM »
Why can't we let someone else sing for a change? Let Rudess sing a few.

Why would we want anyone else to sing?  Unless it was a cover song, I wouldn't want any of the other guys in the band to sing a DT tune.  I like the idea of using instrumentals instead.  I'd really love for them to just do a jam or two, maybe just insert some short interludes.  One time it's JP and JR, another time it's JR and MM, then near the end you get the four of them for a longer jam/interlude before the do the final few songs of the night.  There's just too much talent to not be able to enjoy watching the four guys jam out for a few minutes here and there.

T'was just a joke.

JR recently was singing during his solo shows I understand (I didn't hear or watch any videos, just read it) and was thinking maybe that's where the idea came from.

Online pg1067

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »
Why can't we let someone else sing for a change? Let Rudess sing a few.

Why would we want anyone else to sing?  Unless it was a cover song, I wouldn't want any of the other guys in the band to sing a DT tune.  I like the idea of using instrumentals instead.  I'd really love for them to just do a jam or two, maybe just insert some short interludes.  One time it's JP and JR, another time it's JR and MM, then near the end you get the four of them for a longer jam/interlude before the do the final few songs of the night.  There's just too much talent to not be able to enjoy watching the four guys jam out for a few minutes here and there.

T'was just a joke.

Why can't we let someone else sing for a change?

Because... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5gloy7sxuc

I can't open that at work, but if it's the audio of JP singing The Spirit Carries on, then  :rollin :rollin

Apparently cramx3's browser doesn't display the sarcasm font.

That recording of TSCO is GOLD, but it's kinda sad that bongo is (presumably) no longer with us.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2018, 03:01:45 PM »
Apparently cramx3's browser doesn't display the sarcasm font.

Was there a font in chinos post because if so then this is true.  I thought typically we go green font for that here?  I totally didn't get that it was a joke and if its due to a font then that explains it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »
Wouldn't bother me if most or all of the set were from 2011 and later.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »
I'd actually be interested in that (as long as they skip the last album completely). Plenty of good material to chose from despite some duds that made some album a bit difficult for me - but as long as they leave out ALL concept albums I'm mostly fine.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »
And I'll be looking forward to the point where they have enough material with Mike M to solely rely on that on tour (meaning in 3,4,5,6 album cycles' time after DT14)
(Portnoy-era DT never computes with me), however I've always liked observing how he interprets the things that happened before he joined. (Kind of like: Ah that's how it was meant to be played). That being said, I've enjoyed every Mangini-era tour I've attended and all of them (excluding Astonishing) had Portnoy-era material, so...
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline DTA

« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2018, 12:26:53 PM »
This would be great. There's still a few songs off ADToE I haven't heard and DT12 also has a few that haven't been played in the US. A small Astonishing segment would be okay but I understand if only a track or two (if any) is played.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »
This would be great. There's still a few songs off ADToE I haven't heard and DT12 also has a few that haven't been played in the US. A small Astonishing segment would be okay but I understand if only a track or two (if any) is played.
that actually was the case on the IW/B tour last year (The Gift Of Music and Our New World were played in the first half)

Online pg1067

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2018, 12:39:33 PM »
And I'll be looking forward to the point where they have enough material with Mike M to solely rely on that on tour (meaning in 3,4,5,6 album cycles' time after DT14)

I think they could now have a setlist of all Mangini era songs (especially after DT14 is released).  I hope, however, they never get to a point where they completely abandon the pre-Mangini material.  That would be incredibly disappointing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2018, 12:43:42 PM »
that actually was the case on the IW/B tour last year (The Gift Of Music and Our New World were played in the first half)

Not in the US though (thinking since the US got two full TA tours).  But I would also love for a TA segment( or two if they are smaller) thrown into the setlist.  There's too much good music on that album to just throw it to the side and not get more follow up plays on the next tours.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »

I think they could now have a setlist of all Mangini era songs (especially after DT14 is released).  I hope, however, they never get to a point where they completely abandon the pre-Mangini material.  That would be incredibly disappointing.
Why?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2018, 12:50:41 PM »

Not in the US though (thinking since the US got two full TA tours).  But I would also love for a TA segment( or two if they are smaller) thrown into the setlist.  There's too much good music on that album to just throw it to the side and not get more follow up plays on the next tours.
I'm sure you're right. (I attended the concert in Hamburg on that tour, so I only refer to what I've experienced.)

Online pg1067

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2018, 01:07:46 PM »

Why?

Well...I've been a DT fan since the fall of 1992, and I first saw them live in November 1992.  Without doing too much thinking about it, my three favorite DT albums are MP-era, and probably no more than two of my top ten DT songs are MP-era.  Plus, I think it would be inherently disappointing for a band with nearly 30 years of recorded history to abandon the first 21 years of that history.