Author Topic: What if the next tour is Mangini-era heavy?  (Read 6814 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: What if the next tour is Mangini-era heavy?
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 02:33:16 PM »
What if the next tour is Mangini-era heavy?

It SHOULD be. I'm not even a huge fan of the output of this era, and even I would support that. Dream Theater needs to maintain its relevance. The only way to do that is to very carefully balance how they tour and what they play. I think DT has always been extremely savvy in this regard. Frankly, I was surprised they relented and did an anniversary tour of I&W. But given perhaps that they swung the pendulum so far one way with the last album, it was necessary (both creatively, and financially) to do so.

But yeah, from here on, I really do think they need to be heavy on the Mangini-era of the band. DT has gotten itself into a bit of a spot because of the length of its songs. But I would say, they should probably shelve ALL I&W material for the next couple of album cycle tours (and of course WDADU), and perhaps just play a track from Awake, none from FII, and then play a song or two from SFAM-Black Clouds, and the rest of the set should be Mangini era tunes.

To be relevant, you need to support your new music, and let it become classic with fans. That doesn't mean that you ignore your past, but you don't dwell on it. A very, very fine balance, that up until the last tour or so, DT was very good at doing. I suspect, and I expect they will get back to walking that tightrope masterfully on the next tour.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 02:57:11 PM »
Dead on, Sam.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 03:00:06 PM »
...they should probably shelve ALL I&W material for the next couple of album cycle tours (and of course WDADU), and perhaps just play a track from Awake, none from FII, and then play a song or two from SFAM-Black Clouds, and the rest of the set should be Mangini era tunes.

Indeed. I would even shelve Awake.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 03:06:48 PM »
NM: James hates the song, so it won't get played.

Where does that come from? An interview or something?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »
...they should probably shelve ALL I&W material for the next couple of album cycle tours (and of course WDADU), and perhaps just play a track from Awake, none from FII, and then play a song or two from SFAM-Black Clouds, and the rest of the set should be Mangini era tunes.

Well, they've played the entire thing except Voices in the Mangini era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »
I believe there is some songs James hates to perform but he does anyway. So, why not NM?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2018, 03:17:32 PM »
NM: James hates the song, so it won't get played.

Where does that come from? An interview or something?

Yeah, he was asked which songs he prefers the least and he named New Millennium. He never said he "hated" it, just named it as a song not interesting for him to sing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2018, 03:38:22 PM »
Yeah, he was asked which songs he prefers the least and he named New Millennium. He never said he "hated" it, just named it as a song not interesting for him to sing.

Oh, okay, thanks!!

That's actually a shame cause I really like New Millennium, I feel there's this cool rock vibe in it and that James's voice, even with some struggling, sounds so powerful. But as said above, James' feelings for the song don't necessarily mean it won't be played some day and I really hope they do it anyway!! :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2018, 03:45:48 PM »

Well, they've played the entire thing except Voices in the Mangini era.

And maybe that's the lone song from that album they do, as a centerpiece for the show. And then everything else is Mangini era material, and a smattering of SFAM-BCSL. For me personally, being a fan mostly of I&W-FII/ACOS, it wouldn't be ideal, but I also think it is in DT's best interest to do so. Again, just my .02.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2018, 04:25:36 PM »
So...since I have only been a fan since Jan 2016 and saw TA 3x (missed IAW Beyond - sick child, VIP unused.. :'( )

Everything would be great for me!! But..Octavarium is one I would want to see above any other one. I would really
be bummed if it weren't "An Evening With", as I don't want to see any other band as much as DT, but I get the James
thing - for his benefit...  I am good with his singing.. :yarr

My fave Album is ADTOE. Obviously I haven't seen my 2nd fave BAI..And.. every song on that album is fantastic so Mangini era
material would be fine.. And apparently since BTV hasn't been played much, that would be good as I really dig that song also.
OOh and Voices yea!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2018, 04:38:13 PM »
missed IAW Beyond - sick child, VIP unused.. :'(

Bummer.  Did you use VIP at any other shows?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »

Oh, okay, thanks!!

That's actually a shame cause I really like New Millennium, I feel there's this cool rock vibe in it and that James's voice, even with some struggling, sounds so powerful. But as said above, James' feelings for the song don't necessarily mean it won't be played some day and I really hope they do it anyway!! :lol

He never said he hated it, you guys are right. This is the actual quote, he makes it sound like he’s done performing it, though:

Here’s a question that a fan asked me to bring up: What are your favorite and least favorite songs to perform live?

Uuuuuh… Least favorite… I would say, probably… I don’t know… New Millennium. That song, I just didn’t feel it. There were some cool moments in it, I just didn’t… whenever we performed it, I didn’t feel it. The favorite song for me is… I love Scarred, I love performing that live. And… well, Octavarium, that whole frickin’ thing… Ministry of Lost Souls and that… I don’t know… Octavarium in itself, this song, I loved performing. I thought it was an amazing song. It’s kinda hard. That’s a hard question to answer cause there’s so many moments that I know… cause 99 percent of the songs, I love singing

Source: https://www.prog-sphere.com/interviews/resurfacing-an-interview-with-james-labrie/
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2018, 04:58:31 PM »
I’d be perfectly happy with a Mangini era heavy set list, I’d even be happy with an exclusively Mangini era set. I don’t think they’d go completely Mangini era (apart from The Astonishing tour) but I’d have no issue with it. There’s been some great stuff on his 3 albums and I expect there will be on the new one.

That being said, I’d also have no issue if they continue to mix it up and pull out some lesser played songs like The Glass Prison, The Count Of Tuscany, The Killing Hand, Lines In The Sand etc.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2018, 09:12:12 PM »

Yes!! Fortunately I did in Anaheim for TA.Took my other son :) And I plan to again. I thought it was something you do once. But it adds so much to the night. Plus, I want to support them so they keep playing!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2018, 02:56:10 AM »
I wouldn't mind at all if the next tour would be Mangini-Era heavy! BUT I could really see the band performing Octavarium again (also with JLB saying he loves it), which would be my #1 wish (as indicated in the other thread). It's probably my favourite DT song and I haven't seen it live yet (my first concert was 2009).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2018, 05:05:09 AM »
I’d be perfectly happy with a Mangini era heavy set list, I’d even be happy with an exclusively Mangini era set. I don’t think they’d go completely Mangini era (apart from The Astonishing tour) but I’d have no issue with it. There’s been some great stuff on his 3 albums and I expect there will be on the new one.

That being said, I’d also have no issue if they continue to mix it up and pull out some lesser played songs like The Glass Prison, The Count Of Tuscany, The Killing Hand, Lines In The Sand etc.
LITS? Oh dear me, please, no. No more FII. No more Octa. I could live with TKH (without Another Hand though) And as much of DT14 as possible.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2018, 05:13:27 AM »

Yes!! Fortunately I did in Anaheim for TA.Took my other son :) And I plan to again. I thought it was something you do once. But it adds so much to the night. Plus, I want to support them so they keep playing!!
and that's exactly why I strive to attend as many DT concerts as possible now (missed the Dramatic Turn tour, I was well peeved about it to put it mildly)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2018, 07:55:32 AM »

LITS? Oh dear me, please, no. No more FII. No more Octa. I could live with TKH (without Another Hand though) And as much of DT14 as possible.

Nah, FII and Octavarium have been pretty underrepresented in recent years, so they are both kinda due.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2018, 08:08:38 AM »
Ok. FII was represented on the IWB and Along For The Ride tours though respectively. (Hell's Kitchen and Trial Of Tears respectively) I for one erased the MP era from my concuousness completely (especially FII), that's why I never am partial to that one. To each their own, and if you think these records are due again, go ahead.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2018, 08:34:20 AM »
Ok. FII was represented on the IWB and Along For The Ride tours though respectively. (Hell's Kitchen and Trial Of Tears respectively) I for one erased the MP era from my concuousness completely (especially FII), that's why I never am partial to that one. To each their own, and if you think these records are due again, go ahead.

They also had Peruvian Skies on the 2011 summer tour and Burning My Soul on the 2016 summer tour.

It's been represented on every tour except the ADTOE proper tour and obviously TA tour. 4 out of 6 tours.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2018, 08:43:55 AM »
Yeah, they have typically played a song.  But it has never really been given any sort of in-depth coverage in recent years.  Same with 8VM.  Not sure why anyone would "erase the MP era from their consciousness," but whatever. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2018, 08:49:21 AM »

Nah, FII and Octavarium have been pretty underrepresented in recent years, so they are both kinda due.

Being a huge FII fan, I really would like them to play a suite from it of stuff they don't normally due. I know that JLB isn't as fond of doing New Millenium, but I dig the tune. I'd like to see them pull that and You Not Me out, along with Anna Lee, maybe throw in Raise the Knife as well. I know, not gonna happen. And probably not the way to get the fan base excited. But as someone who loves FII, I'd be so happy.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2018, 09:31:58 AM »
Yeah, they have typically played a song.  But it has never really been given any sort of in-depth coverage in recent years.  Same with 8VM.  Not sure why anyone would "erase the MP era from their consciousness," but whatever.

Over than the Awake suite and Scenes suite on the DT12 tour, and I&W obviously, every other MP era album has had basically the same exposure.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »

[/quote]and that's exactly why I strive to attend as many DT concerts as possible now (missed the Dramatic Turn tour, I was well peeved about it to put it mildly)
[/quote]

Me too!  As many as I can for each tour before my hubby crashes it... :police:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2018, 06:45:23 PM »

They also had Peruvian Skies on the 2011 summer tour and Burning My Soul on the 2016 summer tour.

Peruvian Skies is a great song and always killer live. I hope that comes back. :coolio

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2018, 06:32:16 AM »
As much as I love the "evening with" format, it seems to be SO hard on James.  I suspect we could get more consistently good performances if they went back to having an opener.

This. For James' vocal sake, shorter sets are the way to go.

No. Supplementing that time with The Dance of Eternity, Stream of Consciousness, Erotomania, Puppies on Acid, and a new instrumedley is how you remedy that.

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2018, 07:10:17 AM »
As much as I love the "evening with" format, it seems to be SO hard on James.  I suspect we could get more consistently good performances if they went back to having an opener.

No. Supplementing that time with The Dance of Eternity, Stream of Consciousness, Erotomania, Puppies on Acid, and a new instrumedley is how you remedy that.

And we're not even counting on the possibility of having a new instrumental in DT14!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2018, 08:42:34 AM »

That would work for one tour, but they’d run out of instrumentals to use very fast :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »
I'd be OK dropping some FII songs and one reason is becuase MP/DS seem to enjoy playing those.  I say let them have it.  DT has nothing to prove playing those songs and it's mostly considered to be a lesser favorite of the DT catalog.  They've played enough of it lately, although I do love me some LITS and would love to see Anna Lee, but the reality is I am OK with them not doing more FII.  I really want more of disc 1 from SDOIT.  I feel that gets ignored the most.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2018, 10:34:11 AM »

That would work for one tour, but they’d run out of instrumentals to use very fast :lol

I'm a little puzzled about the notion that shorter sets are needed "for James' vocal sake."  Aside from the fact that DT has a bunch of long instrumentals, most of their longer songs have long instrumental sections that likely give James all the time he needs for diggin' holes.  Maybe someone has the time and inclination to figure this out, but I'd wager that, for example, he does as much singing on the 5:30 "Surrounded" as he does on the 11:30 "Learning to Live."  It's not like he's singing for all of "Octavarium's" 24:00.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2018, 12:16:06 PM »
Why can't we let someone else sing for a change? Let Rudess sing a few.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »

Why would we want anyone else to sing?  Unless it was a cover song, I wouldn't want any of the other guys in the band to sing a DT tune.  I like the idea of using instrumentals instead.  I'd really love for them to just do a jam or two, maybe just insert some short interludes.  One time it's JP and JR, another time it's JR and MM, then near the end you get the four of them for a longer jam/interlude before the do the final few songs of the night.  There's just too much talent to not be able to enjoy watching the four guys jam out for a few minutes here and there.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »

Why would we want anyone else to sing?  Unless it was a cover song, I wouldn't want any of the other guys in the band to sing a DT tune.  I like the idea of using instrumentals instead.  I'd really love for them to just do a jam or two, maybe just insert some short interludes.  One time it's JP and JR, another time it's JR and MM, then near the end you get the four of them for a longer jam/interlude before the do the final few songs of the night.  There's just too much talent to not be able to enjoy watching the four guys jam out for a few minutes here and there.

T'was just a joke.

Why can't we let someone else sing for a change?

Because... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5gloy7sxuc

I can't open that at work, but if it's the audio of JP singing The Spirit Carries on, then  :rollin :rollin

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »
Why can't we let someone else sing for a change?

Because... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5gloy7sxuc

I can't open that at work, but if it's the audio of JP singing The Spirit Carries on, then  :rollin :rollin

It is :rollin