Author Topic: The Witcher (Netflix) Starring Henry Cavill.  (Read 15844 times)

Offline Polarbear

The Witcher (Netflix) Starring Henry Cavill.
« on: September 22, 2018, 08:36:40 AM »
Netflix is making a live action adaptation of The Witcher.

Series is based on the five part saga of novels, and a bunch of short stories written by polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. This adaptation won't be based on the video games, although it is likely that there will be some Easter eggs for the fans of the games!

Not to get too deep into the lore, but The Witcher games by CD Projekt Red are set after the events of the books. The upcoming series is based on the short stories and novels, which means our main characters will be slightly younger than what we see in the games. Including a child/teen Ciri.

Henry Cavill has been cast as Geralt, one of the main characters. No word on castings for the other main characters still, Including Yennefer, Ciri, Dandelion/Jaskier or Vilgefortz.

Obviously Netflix want's this to be their flagship fantasy series, to compete with Game of Thrones or the upcoming Lord of the Rings show by HBO. Shooting for the show should begin soon, and late 2019 release for season 1 is expected.

I'm so far optimistic about this. Anyone else excited and or interested?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Witcher (Netflix) Starring Henry Cavill.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 09:32:18 AM »
I can't wait to see how it turns out. I love the witcher

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 01:35:10 PM »
Sounds cool, will follow this.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 11:13:28 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/witcher-netflix-show-casts-ciri-yennefer-roles-1150868

Some more casting news has come out. Anya Chalotra will be Yennefer and Freya Allan is portraying Ciri. Some more cast members were also unveiled; including Jodhi May as Ciri's grandmother Calanthe, MyAnna Buring as Tissaia De Vries and Millie Brady as Reinfri.

I love that they didn't went with someone obvious like Eva Green for Yennefer. It would have been very obvious typecasting. Chalotra is 22 years old, so it remains to be seen if she can pull of a confidence of Yen, who is almost a 100 years old in the books.
Never heard of the little girl who is going to be Ciri, but she definitely has the look of a pre teen Ciri. Some more cast members will obviously be announced later..

With all the characters that have been cast so far, I'm willing to bet that the first season is based of the book "The Last Wish". The Last Wish is a collection of short stories, which means all the episodes of season 1 would be standalone stories. Including Geralt's and Yennefer's backstory and their first encounter. Then the hypothetical season 2 would kick off the more connected saga storyline, beginning with "Blood of Elves".

Enough rambling and speculation, but I'm getting pretty excited honestly! :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 11:55:14 AM »
If done well this could be the next Game of Thrones.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 12:07:18 PM »
I really need to read the books. I've played the games (which I understand basically take place after the books) and loved them - loved the world and the ideas and some of the key characters. Looking forward to this but might try and catch up on the books first.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 07:05:16 PM »
I really need to read the books. I've played the games (which I understand basically take place after the books) and loved them - loved the world and the ideas and some of the key characters. Looking forward to this but might try and catch up on the books first.

Ditto!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:09:51 AM »
Bump!

Trailer is still ways off, and season 1 is still filming. Nevertheless I thought it would be a good idea to update this thread and list the complete cast for season 1. There are still some roles to be filled, but most of season 1 is cast.

There is also some rumors that Netflix has already greenlit season 2 and 3, without even seeing any footage. If that's true, they must have faith that this can become a smash hit.

So, here is complete cast of season 1:

Henry Cavill - Geralt of Rivia
Freya Allan - Cirilla
Joey Batey - Jaskier/ Dandelion in English translation of the book, and in Witcher games
Millie Brady - Princess Renfri
Anya Chalotra - Yennefer of Vengerberg
Anna Shaffer - Triss Merigold
MyAnna Buring - Tissaia De Vries
Mimi Ndiveni -  Fringilla Vigo
Therica Wilson-Read - Sabrina Glevissig
Tom Canton - Filavandrel
Imogen Daines - Danica
Eamon Farren - Cahir
Jodi May - Queen Calanthe
Björn Haraldsson - Eist
Adam Levy - Mousesack/ Ermion in Witcher 3
Lars Mikkelsen - Stregobor
Maciej Musial - Sir Lazlo
Royce Pierreson - Istredd
Wilson Radjou-Pujalte - Dara
Amit Shah - Torque
Natasha Culzac - Toruviel

Not naming the extras, but here you go. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:01:14 AM by Polarbear »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
Looks like they're going GOT style and sticking with British cast (and presumably accents) all round. I do always find it a bit weird in the games how it's almost entirely British and Irish accents, but then just a handful of major characters have American accents for apparently no particular reason (Geralt, Dandilion, Triss).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 09:57:32 AM »

Ditto!
Made any progress Chad? I decided to dive in, and am about halfway through Time of Contempt so far.

I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 10:39:04 AM »
Sadly no.  Reading has fallen by the wayside with respect to how I spend my limited disposable time - and it will be for the foreseeable future... at least until the summer (ie, after the move and majority of unpacking / setting up new place).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 12:42:54 PM »
If done well this could be the next Game of Thrones.

This. A few people I know who watch Netflix were like... "I see they are making a Witcher show. What is that?" And I respond with, "If Netflix does it correctly, it will be their next hit like Stranger Things."

I randomly started reading the books last week. Currently halfway through Blood of Elves.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 02:59:02 PM »
Did you start with the short story collections TOX?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 06:34:16 AM »

Sadly, I did not. I started with Blood of Elves since that was all they had at the book store. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 06:41:18 AM »

Sadly, I did not. I started with Blood of Elves since that was all they had at the book store. :lol
Ah, I mostly use Amazon (either Kindle or ordering books) so everything is available. That's a shame, almost everything that's happening in the main books is set up in the short stories.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »

Ah, I mostly use Amazon (either Kindle or ordering books) so everything is available. That's a shame, almost everything that's happening in the main books is set up in the short stories.

I bought the saga also. Found the entire saga translated to Finnish in this neat little bookstore. They claim that Season of Storms, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny are translated to Finnish, but I haven't found those anywhere.

I didn't have any problems catching up with the story, when I began from Blood of Elves. Still i'd love to have the short story collections as well.
Especially, since it is rumored that the Season 1 of the show is going to focus on The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 01:17:17 AM »
Bump/Update.

If anyone is looking to stay up to date with all the news regarding The Witcher, this is a great place to go to:

https://redanianintelligence.wordpress.com

They got some great posts regarding everything from cast changes to shooting locations and everything in between! These guys have also sources claiming, that the pilot will air in Netflix in 20th of December! :tup

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 10:23:21 AM »
First look at Geralt, Yen and Ciri!

https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/01/netflix-the-witcher-photos/

Looks spot on to me! :metal I'm surprised at how closely Cavill resembles the CDPR Witcher 3 version of Geralt.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 06:24:41 AM »
Yeah, that's sweet.  Damn, I really need to read the books!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 07:18:39 AM »
Really excited for this but I only played the games. I might have to check out the books.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the overall lore to be honest because I only played Witcher 3. Maybe someone could answer this:

Let's say GoT is the "adult version" of LotR and The Witcher is the "adult games" of The Elder Scrolls, where do The Witcher land?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 07:29:55 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 04:16:08 AM »
Assuming I understood the question correctly, I can take a stab at answering that! :D

So how do The Witcher series compare to LotR and GoT? Mind you I'm not that knowledgable about GoT lore..

The Witcher, like GoT is a "Twisted" version of a Tolkien-esque fantasy world. The Witcher is a more personal and smaller scale story compared to LotR and GoT. Sure there is a war in the world of The Witcher, and there are hints about a world ending cataclysm: The White Frost and a "Supernatural" enemy: The Wild Hunt. But the core of the story is the struggle of Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri. Ciri is important to the future of the world, and Geralt and Yennefer have to make sure that Ciri does not fall into the wrong hands.

So The Witcher is a "adult version" of LotR like GoT, but a more personal and intimate story compared to GoT. I hope that answered the question. ;D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 08:10:30 AM »
Assuming I understood the question correctly, I can take a stab at answering that! :D

So how do The Witcher series compare to LotR and GoT? Mind you I'm not that knowledgable about GoT lore..

The Witcher, like GoT is a "Twisted" version of a Tolkien-esque fantasy world. The Witcher is a more personal and smaller scale story compared to LotR and GoT. Sure there is a war in the world of The Witcher, and there are hints about a world ending cataclysm: The White Frost and a "Supernatural" enemy: The Wild Hunt. But the core of the story is the struggle of Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri. Ciri is important to the future of the world, and Geralt and Yennefer have to make sure that Ciri does not fall into the wrong hands.

So The Witcher is a "adult version" of LotR like GoT, but a more personal and intimate story compared to GoT. I hope that answered the question. ;D
Yea upon reviewing my own question i'm not sure I understand it better.  :lol

The answer was solid though, thx!  :tup

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
The Witcher - Netflix
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 07:43:20 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSqi-8kAMmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUqVCo56tzo spanish subs

I won’t lie I was skeptical at announcement, but I’m sold.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:50:25 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Witcher - Netflix
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 08:00:54 PM »
Looks pretty good.

I need to go back and finish Witcher 3

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 10:35:14 PM »
Made a thread about this a while back, but I'm sure mods can merge the two threads at some point. ;D

Anyway, that looked really good! :tup Only one who hasn't sold me yet, is Anya Chalotra as Yen but I'm sure she will eventually. And from watching the trailer, I'm now 100% sure that the first season focusses on the books "The Last Wish" and "The Sword of Destiny".

Edit. And oh yeah, I got goosebumps from the end when Geralt is about to fight a Arachasae! :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:42:46 PM by Polarbear »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 11:49:25 PM »
I still have yet to play through the Witcher series, but I put a good few hours into 3 doing sidequests and such. This might make me play through 2/3 (With 1's mechanics...I just can't). Looks pretty entertaining though!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2019, 02:24:26 AM »
Made a thread about this a while back, but I'm sure mods can merge the two threads at some point. ;D
Yep, done.

Ministro, you could have just checked whether there was a thread already, it was only half way down the first page. :P

EDIT: Trailer looks amazing!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2019, 09:00:06 AM »
Yep, done.

Ministro, you could have just checked whether there was a thread already, it was only half way down the first page. :P

EDIT: Trailer looks amazing!

Yes, the excitement won me over, sorry

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 12:48:46 PM »
Witcher 3 was the tits.  I really need to get/read the books before this comes out, but I doubt I will be able to make the time.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 11:15:26 AM »
https://youtu.be/ndl1W4ltcmg

Official main trailer has arrived! Season 1 is coming to Netflix on December 20th.

Everything i've seen has me hyped! :hefdaddy I want this to be great, so badly. The books are awesome, and a perfect source material for an epic fantasy show!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
Looks good. Can't wait!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2019, 11:42:19 AM »
Man I'm so stoked for this.  Clearly I'm not going to get to the books in the next 6 weeks - cuz I still have 2 left in the series I'm reading (which slowed to a stall the past few weeks).

Bummer.

But awesome for the show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 11:54:36 AM »
Man I'm so stoked for this.  Clearly I'm not going to get to the books in the next 6 weeks - cuz I still have 2 left in the series I'm reading (which slowed to a stall the past few weeks).

I have never cracked one of the books and am just hoping they've approached this series as a complete storytelling opportunity and are not counting on me (us) to have read these to enjoy the show. It doesn't look like you'll need to have read them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 02:41:56 PM »
I finally finished the books, and to be honest I found the end a little on the underwhelming side. But I'm hopeful that the show can do a good job with it, the trailer looks awesome.

I can completely see why the video game makers wanted to have the games continue the story (with a little interpretation of the end of the books) and even though they're obviously not canon they feel like they provide a more satisfying conclusion.

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2019, 02:52:23 PM »
Looks cool, hopefully the show will deliver!