Author Topic: The Witcher (Netflix) Starring Henry Cavill.  (Read 15948 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Witcher (Netflix) Starring Henry Cavill.
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2019, 07:42:42 AM »
Finished it up. Having not read the comic or played the game......I thought it was a pretty cool show. However, had I not been tipped off to the time jumps it’d have been confusing as all get out.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »
I was a bit annoyed at the ending scene when Cirilla finds Geralt. She runs in one direction and he walks into the forrest in another direction and then she just runs into his arms. I mean Witcher sense and all, that just felt rushed or maybe I missed something.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2020, 09:48:03 PM »
Just finished, good stuff, but I'm definitely gonna have to do a re-watch to really get a grip on the plot. I was lost half the show (mostly my fault since I was multitasking and this isn't a show to do that during)

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2020, 12:12:07 AM »
I read an interview where the showrunner said, that the reason for the non-linear time structure of the season was, that they wanted to introduce Ciri at the very beginning of the show along with Geralt and Yennefer. First two books are a collection of standalone short stories and most of them take place even before Ciri is born. So they had to find a way to tell those short stories and string them together, and find a way for Ciri to be a part of the show from the get go.

I think they did it very well, but I totally understand how people who have never read the books or even played the games could be hopelessly lost. :lol

The showrunner has also said that season 2 will have a much stronger drive to the story, and the timeline starts moving forward in a linear fashion. In other words, that means season 2 will be about Blood of Elves and possibly The Time of Contempt.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2020, 06:19:47 AM »
I watched it over two days, and thought it was excellent. I'm aware of the books and the game series, but have never read them or played the games. I read online people grumbling about the casting of certain characters, but I've no previous investment, so it wasn't an issue for me.

Yeah, the time jumping was a bit strange at first, but fair play to the makers for going for the non-linear approach. I think if it continues in season 2 I'll be better prepared for it.

One of the things I liked most was the way that magical abilities were portrayed. Pretty cool without being silly or OTT. I know comparisons to GoT are inevitable, but for me, GoT is light on the fantasy elements, compared to something like this, so it's not really fair to compare the two.

It does give me hope that the upcoming Wheel Of Time series could be done well too.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2020, 08:19:46 AM »
Without reading every last though I'm wondering if some with chime in with a grade for the show. Either in stars or A to F.
Thanks in advance! :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2020, 08:59:42 AM »
Without reading every last though I'm wondering if some with chime in with a grade for the show. Either in stars or A to F.
I would probably say something like 8/10, I was pleasently suprised by the show.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2020, 10:05:15 AM »
I would probably say something like 8/10, I was pleasently suprised by the show.

Same for me! 8/10.

I have some small nitpicks, but overall a really solid start and it makes me excited for season 2!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2020, 10:35:34 AM »
B+ To A-

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2020, 06:16:53 PM »

Same for me! 8/10.

I have some small nitpicks, but overall a really solid start and it makes me excited for season 2!
This is about how I feel as well.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2020, 01:17:48 AM »
I started watching the same way I started watching Game of Thrones: not knowing anything about the lore and having never read the books (or played the games in this case).

So far, so good I'd say, I just watched an episode, obviously it's too early to even understand what's going on (Why the young princess had a grandma? the queen looked like her mother, age-wise) but it's a nice table setting.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2020, 07:01:26 AM »
Here is a great chart for anyone still scratching their head about the timeline of the first season!

Spoilers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflixwitcher/comments/elqrw7/witcher_series_timeline/

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2020, 08:47:26 AM »
Here is a great chart for anyone still scratching their head about the timeline of the first season!

Spoilers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflixwitcher/comments/elqrw7/witcher_series_timeline/

That's great - thanks!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2020, 12:08:19 AM »
Just finished it-I liked it a lot! Cavill did an amazing job playing Geralt and the action scenes were incredible. The storylines kept me interested consistently throughout the series, and all of the cast members really seem to have a lot of chemistry while on set. It's not without its faults, of course (SPOILERS: I  didn't like how they skipped several years between episodes in the Geralt-Yennefer storylines and yet human characters like Jaskier don't appear to age, and how they dismiss the major plot points that happened between those years as something they'd just address in just one line. The Geralt-Yennefer relationship really suffered from this. They had them meet each other, crammed their bonding moments up in one episode and a half, and then pretend they had loved each other for a long time. Probably the weakest part of the series) but Overall it was a great show to watch and one I'll be eagerly awaiting for next season. Most of the good things overcome the bad ones, and, being a GoT enthusiast too, I love how it doesn't try to be GoT at all and has its own atmosphere and setting. Overall a 7.5/10

Online faizoff

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »
Geez what a frickin map and timeline Netflix created for the show
https://www.witchernetflix.com/en-gb

It's full of spoilers so you'll have to have watched all of season one.

Regarding the show, I was a little disappointed by it. I would rate it maybe 6/10. I think all of the things were there to make it great but somehow the execution fell flat for me.

I wasn't that confused by the different timelines, I sort of live for complicated plots and twists on shows and movies so that wasn't an issue. I think they didn't make the characters very compelling, when some died I didn't really care or why there was danger for some, etc..

The sword fights were amazing, Henry Cavill was amazing as the lead. I thought his chemistry with the first episode actress was a lot better than Yennifer.

I'm hoping the 2nd season is more intriguing. I'll watch it when it's out and hope I like it more.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2020, 09:32:02 AM »
6/10 sounds about right, maybe even 5.5/10 for me. There was some good stuff, but... most of the rest just wasn't very good. And I'm not talking about timelines, those were confusing but I rather enjoyed how it all fell into place as more episodes went by. Although I'll say they could've aged Jaskier a bit more to show that 20 years went by between episodes 2 and 6; they had Yen mention that he has crow's feet now but that was it I think? Makes sense that Geralt and Yen had the same look as they don't age like normal folks.

So let me start with the good stuff (also I briefly played Witcher 3 and didn't read any books): episode 3 was amazing. If only the whole show was at that level, I would've praised it into oblivion. The fighting scene in episode 1 was also amazing, holy shit was that great to watch. The whole plot with Renfri was enjoyable too. The whole plot with Ciri and Calanthe refusing to give her up was also great, enjoyed watching Cintra fall because of how stubborn Calanthe and Eist were. The actress playing Ciri was very convincing too, good casting choice. Also I liked the actors who played the lead mages: Stregobor, Mousesack, Bork, Tissaia, all were on point.

For the bad stuff: episodes 2, 4 and 6 felt like they were from a second-rate fantasy sitcom, the only thing that was missing is the laugh track. The climactic scene with Pavetta in episode 4 was so bad I was torn between giggling and facepalming throughout the whole scene, just oof. Some plot points didn't make sense at all for me (big spoilers below). The doppler that got Mousesack said he acquired all his memories and experiences (and showed it to the audience saying how Mousesack though of taking his life so he can't be used), then he gets caught by Ciri because he didn't know the original Mousesack didn't like cold and had arthritis? Speaking of that, two children arrived at the forest of Brokilon scared out of their mind and the dryads made them drink the waters which kill folk who lie and bear ill intent, but when Mousesack arrives to take Ciri and yeah, Ciri said it's alright, so he doesn't need to drink the waters? Why introduce this plot point in the first place then? It didn't add anything except a plot hole. The scene which the whole first season led to, where Geralt meets Ciri? It's framed as if Geralt just walks into the forest to gather mushrooms or something and oh, there's Ciri! Happy reunion!

Also, the dialogue. I'm usually willing to make excuses for the unrealistic dialogue in fantasy shows but this show took it way too far. I can't count how many times during the show I thought "what the hell, people don't talk like that". I would've been alright with it if it was plot-relevant, but no, even the most standard dialogue mostly felt awkward as hell. I don't know. The show made me play the Witcher 3 again, and during the first three hours of the gameplay, the dialogue was better than it was in the show.

I will watch the second season, because there is a lot of potential in the show, and episode 3 shows it, but the execution is unfortunately lacking so far. There are some occasional sparks of brilliance, and I think Henry Cavill did a fantastic job and without him the show would've been even worse, but as of now this was an effort slightly above mediocre.

The "Toss a Coin to your Witcher" song and this recent Netflix map are dope af though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2020, 06:15:13 PM »
(big spoilers below). The doppler that got Mousesack said he acquired all his memories and experiences (and showed it to the audience saying how Mousesack though of taking his life so he can't be used), then he gets caught by Ciri because he didn't know the original Mousesack didn't like cold and had arthritis?
The Arthritis was a plothole, yes, but
  • AFAIK Dopplers obtain memories and experiences, but not feelings. The doppler knew everything Mousesack had been through, but he didn't know how he felt about it. He remembered Skellige, but he had no way to tell that the original Mousesack preferred Cintra over Skellige now.
  • The doppler is not a perfect spy, he seemed rather narcissistic, impulsive and impatient, not to mention he had to assume an identity and a body he didn't even want. If He was running out of patience and just wanted to get the work done, it would be fair to say he got tired of it all and blew his cover when got distracted. The fact that he turned on Cáhir and said 'fuck it' to his mission almost immediately after knowing who Ciri was might be a proof of this.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2020, 01:05:47 AM »
It's a plot hole in terms of it not being explained I guess, but yeah it's only the doppler (who was extremely arrogant) who claimed he had all of his victims memories and was infallible. I don't see any inconsistency there.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2020, 08:08:49 AM »
(big spoilers below). The doppler that got Mousesack said he acquired all his memories and experiences (and showed it to the audience saying how Mousesack though of taking his life so he can't be used), then he gets caught by Ciri because he didn't know the original Mousesack didn't like cold and had arthritis?
The Arthritis was a plothole, yes, but
  • AFAIK Dopplers obtain memories and experiences, but not feelings. The doppler knew everything Mousesack had been through, but he didn't know how he felt about it. He remembered Skellige, but he had no way to tell that the original Mousesack preferred Cintra over Skellige now.
  • The doppler is not a perfect spy, he seemed rather narcissistic, impulsive and impatient, not to mention he had to assume an identity and a body he didn't even want. If He was running out of patience and just wanted to get the work done, it would be fair to say he got tired of it all and blew his cover when got distracted. The fact that he turned on Cáhir and said 'fuck it' to his mission almost immediately after knowing who Ciri was might be a proof of this.

Where do you draw a line between experiences and thoughts/feelings though? He knew Mousesack thought of taking his own life but he didn't know Mousesack probably thought about his arthritis every day in Skellige?

If, as Rich says, he only claimed to know all the memories but in fact didn't, then it was indeed very poorly shown on screen and I'm actually not sure what's worse for me.

As to doppler's arrogance and impatience, to each his own. To me it felt like the writers just wanted to get Ciri out of the forest and also for her not to fall in Nilfgaardian's hands, so they created this - below mediocre, in my opinion - subplot. Unless that was in the books, that I'll stand corrected and blame Sapkowskij for that.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2020, 08:24:00 AM »
If, as Rich says, he only claimed to know all the memories but in fact didn't, then it was indeed very poorly shown on screen and I'm actually not sure what's worse for me.
Not sure I agree with that, the whole season was written with a lot of subtlety (for example the points we made earlier in the thread about how they gradually revealed the different timelines initially with quite small references and even then not until the third episode). And just because one character might claim something, I've never taken that as definitely the case in any show I watch. If anything I'd argue that the whole narrative there is a good example of dopplers not being as powerful as they like to think they are.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2020, 08:30:01 AM »
Not sure I agree with that, the whole season was written with a lot of subtlety (for example the points we made earlier in the thread about how they gradually revealed the different timelines initially with quite small references and even then not until the third episode). And just because one character might claim something, I've never taken that as definitely the case in any show I watch. If anything I'd argue that the whole narrative there is a good example of dopplers not being as powerful as they like to think they are.

This and the point that was made earlier that the doppler first off.....didn't even want to do it or be him.....which lead to him getting impatient and just saying 'F' it. I would think had that been his idea and his motivation to become Mousesack then it'd have played out differently. He was in a hurry to get the job done and get back to his agenda.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2020, 09:36:33 AM »
I guess that makes a bit of sense to me, but I still think this is a big stretch. Arthritis? That's a pretty big thing to miss even if you're going fuck-this-job-I'm-out. I might've understood if it was something about Mousesack's connection to the Calanthe/Eist family (especially from his older years, maybe even drop a foreshadowing that doppler only acquires recent memories or the most powerful ones) or something more subtle? I'm not sure. For a season written with a lot of subtlety, there sure was a lot of not-so-subtle moments. The timelines did work for me as I said above, the doppler subplot I'm still not buying at all.

In fact now that you made me think about this, the whole Ciri plot after her escape from Cintra (and after her subsequent escape from Cintran refugees who were attacked by Nilfgaardians) felt underwhelming and forced to me. It's drawn out, it essentially went nowhere and only served as a purpose to get Ciri to Geralt.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2020, 11:12:56 AM »
I'll say this without going to spoilers about the books, but as far as I remember, everything that happens to Ciri after she escapes Cahir but before she meets Geralt is different in the books. So any criticisms about that subplot must be thrown at Hissrich's direction and not Sapkowski's.

Ciri's subplot was one of the weakest aspects of season 1 IMO too. But assuming they stick to the story, she has so much awesome stuff coming, so I didn't mind her introduction in season 1.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »
I'll say this without going to spoilers about the books, but as far as I remember, everything that happens to Ciri after she escapes Cahir but before she meets Geralt is different in the books. So any criticisms about that subplot must be thrown at Hissrich's direction and not Sapkowski's.

Ciri's subplot was one of the weakest aspects of season 1 IMO too. But assuming they stick to the story, she has so much awesome stuff coming, so I didn't mind her introduction in season 1.
It's not so much that it's different, it's more that it's not covered directly (same as all of Yennefer's stuff from season 1) because the short stories in the first two books (which season 1 covers) are only from Geralt's perspective. It's not until the main novels that Ciri and Yen become main characters in their own right. Same even with Cahir too, who I'm not sure is even mentioned by name in the first two books. So expanding and extrapolating Yen's and Ciri's experiences in more detail to make them main characters from the off makes a lot of sense to have a more coherent show overall once we get into future seasons.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2020, 08:47:00 AM »
Small update in the world of The Witcher!

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/the-witcher-season-2-netflix-casting-1203510264/

Season 2 has begun filming and they have already cast a bunch of new characters! They have already cast Geralt's Witcher bros, with Paul Bullion and Thue Ersted Rasmussen as Lambert and Eskel respectively. Very familiar to those who have played the Witcher games. Among other people joining the cast are Yasen Atour as Cöen, Mecia Simpson as Francesca Findabair, Aisha Fabienne Ross as Lydia Bredevoort and "Game of Thrones" alum Kristofer Hivju as Nivellen.

No word still on who is being cast as Vesemir and Djikstra, both of whom are confirmed to appear. I'm betting that they are in the middle of negotiations with Mark Hamill to be cast as Vesemir! He has been rumored for a while now. But yes, quite exciting! :corn

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2021, 02:05:52 PM »
A massive bump after year and a half!

Thanks to Covid, a much delayed season 2 is coming on December 17th, and the first teaser trailer is here.

Looks great to me, and as a fan of the franchise I'm very excited!

https://youtu.be/AICKeUb0z0Q

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2021, 02:08:26 PM »
Yes finally, can't wait! Really enjoyed S01.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2021, 04:22:12 PM »
Yeeeeeessssssss.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2021, 09:12:28 PM »
Not starring Henry Cavill, but this looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83o8_ZuKMik
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2021, 01:49:18 PM »
Not starring Henry Cavill, but this looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83o8_ZuKMik

Excited for that as well! Takes place a few hundred years before the events of the show, and focuses on Geralt's mentor Vesemir.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2021, 12:50:56 PM »
Nightmare of the Wolf is coming to Netflix in 2 weeks, and here is another trailer!

https://youtu.be/J365hQpaWRw

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2021, 09:00:17 AM »
New trailer for S2 (intermingled with a bit of S1 recap).  Season drops Dec 17th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSDKdjLlFxE&list=WL&index=2

Methinks I'll need to re-watch S1.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2021, 07:37:25 AM »
Looks good!, served as a reminder of S1 since I honestly forgot most of it.

There are a lot of good stuff coming out this fall  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2021, 09:02:53 AM »
Big fan of the books, games and show here!

I already have December 17th marked on my calendar. Netflix also already announced season 3! Reassuring considering Netflix's habit of canceling even popular shows, seemingly for no reason..

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2021, 07:16:52 PM »