Author Topic: The Witcher (Netflix) Starring Henry Cavill.  (Read 15935 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: The Witcher (Netflix) Starring Henry Cavill.
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 01:10:00 PM »
I have been very excited to hear the score of the show, and how it stacks up against the brilliant scores of Witcher 2 and 3 by CDPR. Now the composer has released two tracks from the official score and they sound pretty awesome! :metal

https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/12/06/listen-to-two-songs-from-netflixs-the-witcher-composed-by-sonya-belousova-and-giona-ostinelli/

"Toss a Coin To Your Witcher" is also being sung by Joey Batey who plays Jaskier/ Dandelion in the show.

Just a few days, and i can binge this on Netflix! :tup

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2019, 06:05:13 AM »
I haven't read the books, but my friends have and they say they're fantastic. The games look really beautiful, and if they find some locations that match the beauty, we're in for a treat. Cavill is well cast. What's not to like!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2019, 08:00:58 AM »
Premier today on Netflix. Has anyone watched it yet? I've read one review so far and it's not that positive (it got a 2 out of 5).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2019, 08:04:22 AM »
Premier today on Netflix. Has anyone watched it yet? I've read one review so far and it's not that positive (it got a 2 out of 5).

Haven't watched....probably won't get a chance until Sunday to even attempt. And, the reviews I've seen are the opposite. I've heard it's fantastic....especially the fight scenes.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2019, 08:34:24 AM »
Thanks for the heads up - will watch this after work.

I've played a little of Witcher 3 but essentially know nothing about the plot. This is one franchise I'm going to watch and truly not be bothered by not knowing the background story and world from the games or the books, so I just hope as a TV show, on its own, it is enjoyable and substantial.  :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2019, 11:08:46 AM »
Only watched the fist two episodes and it's not horrible. But I'll echo some other reviews and say it's a bit more...campy/soapy than I expected. Some of the actors are definitely not the best, but I'm (and I assume a lot of others are) gonna watch it mainly for Geralt, and Henry is just fine at worst and mostly great to watch. If you're expecting GoT-level of acting and cinematography though...maybe just don't even waste your time. It's more of a fun time, B-grade kind of show. A lot of the teasers and stuff did the show a great disservice by trying to show it as something it is very clearly not. Cool fight scenes already though that are done great and the visuals are neat.

Basically unless you're a diehard fan of the books or expect GoT, you'll probably enjoy this. I think I will, I'm gonna continue on watching later. I really don't think the whole "seasons upon seasons" will happen though, I'm kind of floored they renewed it for S2 already. I hope it does well though, I can see S2 being a great leap better than this if they sharpen up the edges and acting.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »
Just so I understand Tio, are you comparing the acting, cinematography, "campyness" etc with the first season of GOT, or the latter seasons?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
Oh no, I'm not comparing it at all, that was kind of my point. Sorry, maybe I worded that weird. I think a lot of people are comparing or expecting it to be on that level, and I think that's why a lot of people seem to be disappointed. This is it's own thing and while there's obviously some similarities here and there, to compare it would be to set yourself up for disappointment, that was my only reason in bringing it up.

It's very well done still, but no one is going to win any best actor awards here, I don't think. But it's a very pretty show, it's got some great music, and the acting isn't grating or anything, far from it most of the time. But I did find myself kind of giving that wincing face now and again with some of the lines. I'm on episode 4 now and am still liking it, moreso than when I first posted. Most of all, the show is just fun. It's an enjoyable watch thus far.

RIP DTP.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2019, 05:53:56 AM »
We watched the first two episodes last night. I don't know, I think it was pretty great!

Whoever is responsible for choreographing the street fight scene needs to win some kind of award. Holy balls, that was intense, violent and perfectly believable. Without resorting to flourish, they really sold the idea that Geralt's skill with blades is head a shoulders above almost anyone's.

I think Henry is doing a fine job.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2019, 06:07:34 AM »
As a big fan of the witcher, I’m loving it so far!

I will give my full impressions after i’ve watched the entire thing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2019, 09:48:07 AM »
In which book(s) is the first season based?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2019, 10:03:36 AM »
In which book(s) is the first season based?

The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny, with some of their own ideas thrown in.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2019, 04:11:34 AM »
A couple episodes in and the show is very good.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2019, 06:31:35 AM »
Saw the first episode and had to boot up Witcher 3 after and start a new chapter. Still looks great but it's crazy that it's almost 5 years since the release.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2019, 02:00:36 AM »
A couple episodes in and the show is very good.

This is where I'm at right now. I'm glad I have zero investment this time on the adaptation's faithfulness to the original, so I can just enjoy it as a show. I think it's doing a great job so far. Cavill is knocking it out of the park as Geralt.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2019, 02:48:16 AM »
6 episodes out of 8 and yeah I think it's excellent.

I love the games but they take place after the books (a sort of non-canon extension/reboot, sort of thing). I've read the books and I like them, but I didn't love them overall (a bit up and down).

I think the show has real potential though. Already the way they've adapted the first two books is working really well - those books were short story collections that had some humour and a real "side quest" feel to them, and they've captured that really nicely while also hitting all the key points that set up the more focused story that comes later on.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2019, 04:49:04 AM »

This is where I'm at right now. I'm glad I have zero investment this time on the adaptation's faithfulness to the original, so I can just enjoy it as a show. I think it's doing a great job so far. Cavill is knocking it out of the park as Geralt.

Oh I totally agree and I was just coming here to also post about Cavil's performance. Man, does he nail it. 

My only nitpick is the time jumps are a little hard to follow, but beside that I really enjoy the show.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 05:50:54 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2019, 05:59:08 AM »
Yea I have to agree the show is better than I thought, I wanted it to be good but had my doubts.

The monster fights are really fun and combat in general is top notch!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2019, 10:31:55 AM »
My only nitpick is the time jumps are a little hard to follow, but beside that I really enjoy the show.

I felt the same - I was looking at a Witcher wiki website just to familiarize myself with some of the names/terms that the characters use and had no clue that there are different timelines.  It all feels like it's happening at the same time. 

Other than that, I'm enjoying it.  I think I have 3 or 4 episodes left to watch.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2019, 01:44:16 AM »
For me the time jumps created a bit of a feeling of disorientation in the first episodes but it's also what makes the season feel SO satisfying by the time you get to the last 3 episodes or so when things start to connect. I think this season was really great and I can't wait for s2!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2019, 09:45:31 AM »
Okay yeah, that was awesome. I think they could've done all the time jumps a lot better. Now, I'm not expecting the usual "WE ARE NOW EXPERIENCING VISUAL OF THE PAST" type transition scene. But doing the usual "color-tone Breaking Bad shift" would've been nice, or something else just to indicate slightly that we were in the past or had time jumped somehow. But how they connected it at the end, if you were paying attention at all or are not watching the show over a long period of time (which is the real issue since no one can really be faulted for that, though that isn't the state of the majority these days), it's pretty clear still.

Other than that, immensely fun season and a great start, I think they can correct the pretty simple errors made this season and that the next one will hopefully be even better that will give way to even more stories for an S3.

Also, watching Henry talk about this role in interviews has given me a new respect for the man, he WORKED for this shit and wanted it. That's really cool and something I haven't seen a lot of from actors (though I'm sure they're out there in spades, I just haven't seen it). Really cool guy and honestly the only reason I liked this season so much. Though I LOVED Yen's story and the actress herself, really heartbreaking and awesome all at once. Power goes RIGHT to the head lol. Literally, in her case.

RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2019, 02:30:45 PM »
For me the time jumps created a bit of a feeling of disorientation in the first episodes but it's also what makes the season feel SO satisfying by the time you get to the last 3 episodes or so when things start to connect. I think this season was really great and I can't wait for s2!
I agree, the season builds so well.

I actually like the fact that it's not obvious at the start, small references that give it away. E.g. Geralt meets Foltest and finds out about his incestuous relationship with his sister (off-topic: I'm sure this will lead some to make GoT comparisons but these Witcher books came out a few years before GoT did), and then the next scene I think is Yen at a ball where Foltest and his sister are still children being told to behave themselves. The way they're telling the story is just really rewarding for viewers who like to pay attention and spot little things like that.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2019, 04:44:34 PM »
I plan on starting this either tonight or tomorrow.....but am glad to know to pay extra attention when concerning the time aspect.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2019, 04:45:48 AM »
I plan on starting this either tonight or tomorrow.....but am glad to know to pay extra attention when concerning the time aspect.

Ditto.

I also got 2 Witcher books for Christmas - neither of the ones that the show is based on though.   :D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2019, 06:18:05 AM »

Ditto.

I also got 2 Witcher books for Christmas - neither of the ones that the show is based on though.   :D
How so? What books were they?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2019, 09:27:08 AM »
I am on episode 4 now. I am enjoying the show really much. Never read the books or play the game so it is all new to me and it is so fascinating!!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2019, 04:09:31 PM »
The main part that got me really screwed up with the time jump is when the queen is having the ball/gathering for her daughter to get a husband and the porcupine guy shows up.

I completely thought that was the grand daughter, not realizing it was her mother and I was like "wait, the queen is dead, but the grand daughter is now an adult... how is this happening?"

Took me a minute  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2019, 05:54:15 PM »
The main part that got me really screwed up with the time jump is when the queen is having the ball/gathering for her daughter to get a husband and the porcupine guy shows up.

I completely thought that was the grand daughter, not realizing it was her mother and I was like "wait, the queen is dead, but the grand daughter is now an adult... how is this happening?"

Took me a minute  :lol
Yeah I guess the show was doing three separate story lines, one for each of the main characters. Yennefers started longest ago and so has the biggest time jumps (the first being 3 decades I think), and Ciri's being by far the shortest, all taking place over a short amount of time (a few days/weeks I think). Where I think some viewers (especially those who haven't read the books) may get caught out is where Geralt's and Yen's stories start to catch up with Ciri's and they all begin to come together. It's really well done though, excellent storytelling and a really clever adaptation that is still incredibly faithful. Only one season in but I'm very impressed with Schmidt Hissrich so far.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2019, 10:52:55 PM »
Damn, that show went from 0 to HOLY SHIT in episode 4 real quick. Kick ass episode man  :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2019, 02:26:00 AM »
Damn, that show went from 0 to HOLY SHIT in episode 4 real quick. Kick ass episode man  :metal

No kidding! I just hammered out the first (4) episodes. I’m glad I peeked in here and knew to pay attention to keeping an eye out for ‘when’ in the story they’re telling stuff is happening.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2019, 10:30:02 AM »

Ditto.

Blood of Elves, and Time of Contempt
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »

Ditto.

Blood of Elves, and Time of Contempt
Ah OK, season 2 will start on Blood of Elves as that's what comes next. I know some people have just started with that and not bothered with the two short story collections that come first (which season 1 was based on), but I'm glad I didn't skip them as they really cover the key beginnings of the character and story arcs.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2019, 11:26:54 AM »
Ok, i have watched the entire season and I really loved the whole thing! Not perfect but a really solid start.

Small Spoilers

As someone who has read the books, I figured out the time jumps immediately in the first episode. I was really surprised when it jumped into the invasion of Cintra from Blaviken and I wondered, Isn't there supposed to be many years between these two events! :lol So I didn't get the holy shit moments later, but I was curious to see how they were going to give this information to the casual viewer. And I think it was done really well. The first hint was definitely Child Foltest and Adda in episode 3...

Most of the actors nailed their roles. Henry Cavill, Joey Batey and Anya Chalotra in particular. Anna Shafer as Triss left me a little cold, but she can improve later on when they give her and her character more to do. Production values were really good, and hopefully even better next season if Netflix gives them more money to spend per episode. Villentretenmerth the Dragon was done really well, but the battle in the last episode left me wanting more. They need to up their game with the visual effects, when they start introducing things like The Wild Hunt into the story.

So yeah, really solid first season, and I was not bothered with the changes they made compared to the books. They made this thing their own!

The music though, 10/10! :metal

Is it to early to start fan casting future roles? :biggrin: Mark Hamill for Vesemir and Peter Capaldi for Regis?? :hefdaddy

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2019, 11:30:28 PM »
I've always thought Liam Neeson would make a good Vesemir.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2019, 02:42:38 AM »
I know a popular choice for Vesemir is Mads Mikkelsen which might be doable since his brother is on the show but I think Mark Hamill would be a great choice too and I think he would do a great job.