Author Topic: The Witcher (Netflix) Starring Henry Cavill.  (Read 15954 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: The Witcher (Netflix) Starring Henry Cavill.
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2021, 11:59:51 PM »
Season 2 main trailer!
https://youtu.be/TJFVV2L8GKs

Other than the poor choice of music, the trailer was great! :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2021, 04:27:01 AM »
Giggity!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2021, 03:10:36 PM »
Finished watching the first season last week.  Recommendation of the GF and it was good, but I didn't love it.  I felt like it tried too hard to be confusing for the sake of being confusing.  My gf was there to explain things to me as we watched, but still I kind of felt like this was "too much" after just about every episode.  Granted, I did enjoy it so I will watch season 2, but I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend this to someone if they didn't have interest already. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2021, 05:05:20 PM »
Waiting for the screening of Ep. 1  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2021, 05:00:05 AM »
Season 2 is live, and I watched the first couple of episodes!

Really enjoying it, though I feel some hardcore book readers will be pissed about some of the changes the show makes. I feel it is an improvement to S1 so far, going to watch the rest later.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2021, 06:38:12 AM »
Season 2 is live, and I watched the first couple of episodes!

Really enjoying it, though I feel some hardcore book readers will be pissed about some of the changes the show makes. I feel it is an improvement to S1 so far, going to watch the rest later.

Still got 3 episodes of my S1 re-watch to hammer through.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2021, 08:20:36 AM »

Thought about the re-watch but I think I'm just going to find a detailed Youtube 'catch up / reminder' vid instead. Having had zero background on the Witcher when I watched the first season it was a bear to keep straight....and that was even after I was told about the non linear storytelling it was going to do. I enjoyed the season but I don't have that in me again.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2021, 09:16:38 AM »

Thought about the re-watch but I think I'm just going to find a detailed Youtube 'catch up / reminder' vid instead. Having had zero background on the Witcher when I watched the first season it was a bear to keep straight....and that was even after I was told about the non linear storytelling it was going to do. I enjoyed the season but I don't have that in me again.

Totally understandable.  I did see a 15-minute recap in my YT feed earlier this week.  I'd post it, but now that Spider-Man is out, I'm off of social media until Monday ... assuming I can even go see it Monday given new Omicrom restrictions are coming fast and furiously.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2021, 09:34:13 AM »
FWIW, there is the usual "previously on...." recap on the first episode, and I think the first episode does a good job and continuing the story exactly where it ended, making sure you don't feel lost.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »
FWIW, there is the usual "previously on...." recap on the first episode, and I think the first episode does a good job and continuing the story exactly where it ended, making sure you don't feel lost.

That's good news! I also like the chatter about this season being a bit more straight forward as far as storytelling.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2021, 06:57:03 AM »
So I knocked that out over the last two days. It was only (8) episodes so it didn't require much effort.  :lol  I will say that my initial thought was "is that it?"  Not in a bad way, I thought the direction of the season and the story was fine....and I won't use the term 'underwhelmed' to describe it but I was left with a bit of an unsatisfied feeling. It may have to do with while there is an 'end' to the season we're just in the very early stages of what looks to be a pretty large and complex overall story. So, this season felt like a ton of set up for that to me.

I didn't dislike it and loved how they added more meat to the bones of these characters.....that was well done. But I guess I wish there'd have been 10-12 episodes.....heck, maybe even 16 to really dive into this. It was over way too quickly.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2021, 02:24:39 AM »
I completed it too, and I really liked it with some caveats.

There were A LOT of changes made for the show, compared to the "Blood of Elves" novel which this season was based. I can just picture the writers room reading Blood of Elves and thinking, "this is so boring, let's add some monsters and demons and stuff". :justjen

Blood of Elves novel is really all just setup, for what happens in "The Time of Contempt" and "Baptism By Fire". So it's really impressive that they managed to make an entertaining season with the material that was given to them. I'm expecting a more book accurate next season. Because if the plan is one book per season, then the next season will cover The Time of Contempt, and a lot more happens in that book compared to the Blood of Elves.

Hopefully we don't have to wait over 2 years for the next season.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2021, 09:08:30 AM »

There were A LOT of changes made for the show, compared to the "Blood of Elves" novel which this season was based. I can just picture the writers room reading Blood of Elves and thinking, "this is so boring, let's add some monsters and demons and stuff". :justjen

Blood of Elves novel is really all just setup, for what happens in "The Time of Contempt" and "Baptism By Fire". So it's really impressive that they managed to make an entertaining season with the material that was given to them. I'm expecting a more book accurate next season. Because if the plan is one book per season, then the next season will cover The Time of Contempt, and a lot more happens in that book compared to the Blood of Elves.

They're supposed to start filming Season 3 early 2022, so, covid permitting, we should get the next one relatively soon.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2021, 09:22:18 AM »

They're supposed to start filming Season 3 early 2022, so, covid permitting, we should get the next one relatively soon.

I'd implore them to extend the season episode count......8 is entirely too few. This season was a blink of an eye.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2022, 06:08:01 AM »
Finally finished S2.  Thought it was great.  I had no issue with the pacing, or the 'setting up' for future seasons.  There's a lot going on in this world, and a lot of factions want Ciri for different reasons.  Shame that 5 (maybe more) Witchers had to bite it in the finale.  The final reveal was fantastic.

I think I must bet getting used to serial shows only being 6-8 hours in length.  I don't mind it actually.  it's certainly a far cry from the days when a "season" was 20-24 episodes.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2022, 05:41:08 AM »
Saw season 2 as well, it was good I guess, some fight scenes were really cool and badass.

I didn't feel too lost even if I never read the books or played the games, it doesn't grab me as Game of Thrones did but it was fun ride anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2022, 10:38:26 AM »
Finished season 2 and thought it was mostly pretty good.  I definitely got more into the universe for season 2 than season 1.  My only gripe is the final episode seemed a bit too over the top.  I mostly didn't enjoy the last episode, other than the surprise at the end.  Definitely intrigued for the next seasons though because there was a lot of set up and new characters that will get their stories told. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2022, 12:27:20 PM »
Oh, quick question - while I get that the potion witchers drink to turn "ghost like" is, dunno, an enhancer of abilities of whatever, was I supposed to get it because it was explained sometime during season 1, or it's never fully explained what that potion does? as I said, it's kinda obvious that it's something that enhances their powers I don't remember it being properly explained...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2022, 01:43:07 PM »
Don't know what it is in the books, but in the games, the potions will enhance certain things - health, speed, endurance, strength, vision, dealing damage, protection against damage/spells, yada yada

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2022, 01:43:32 PM »
Oh, quick question - while I get that the potion witchers drink to turn "ghost like" is, dunno, an enhancer of abilities of whatever, was I supposed to get it because it was explained sometime during season 1, or it's never fully explained what that potion does? as I said, it's kinda obvious that it's something that enhances their powers I don't remember it being properly explained...

Potions were never fully explained during season 1, and I think Vesemir quickly mentioned about them in S2. The books also didn't dive into them super deep, but the games expanded upon the idea quite a bit.

Basically Witchers are also master alchemists and they use different potions to enhance their abilities. Like potions to see in the dark, or enhance their stamina and so on. The show so far seems to streamline this concept, and they seem to have a overall badass potion that also allows them to see in the dark..

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2022, 04:53:48 PM »
Funny. I asked my gf, who played the games, about the potions and she made it seem obvious what they were which kind of is true, but also I kind of figured maybe I missed where it was actually explained. Making the Ciri potion seemed to hammer down that the Witchers make these but still didn't really explain the details which is OK but glad to know I'm not the only one who wasn't entirely sure what the deal was with them.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2022, 06:57:43 PM »
Funny. I asked my gf, who played the games, about the potions and she made it seem obvious what they were which kind of is true, but also I kind of figured maybe I missed where it was actually explained. Making the Ciri potion seemed to hammer down that the Witchers make these but still didn't really explain the details which is OK but glad to know I'm not the only one who wasn't entirely sure what the deal was with them.
And that potion that was made for Ciri is a very different thing from what the Witchers are typically drinking down. That potion is for the Trial of Grasses.

Another thing to point out about the potions, is their toxicity. A Witcher can't drink too many of them or too often or they can kill them. I don't think this has been explained in the show yet though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2022, 09:04:28 AM »
We ended up watching the anime movie (Nightmare of the Wolf) between the first 2 episodes of season 2.  That ended up being the perfect time to watch it, as stuff referenced in the movie appeared in episode 2.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2022, 12:45:57 PM »
So Cavil is leaving The Witcher in S4. I can't imagine the series survives his exit. The young Hemsworth kid, Liam, is taking over the role. Curious as to 'why' Cavil is leaving. Is it due to the Superman rumors? It's also been rumored he could take on a Targaryn role in 'House of the Dragon' on HBO. No matter, I don't see how the show can survive that transition.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/the-witcher-liam-hemsworth-henry-cavill-leaving-season-4-1235417724/

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2022, 12:56:08 PM »
Setting aside the fact that Liam Hemsworth has been pretty bad in the things I've seen him in - I just feel like recasting the main actor kills the interest for me. Even if they got someone better than Cavill - he's the one I've gotten used to as Geralt. Recasting such a major role just takes me out of it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2022, 01:40:40 PM »
Setting aside the fact that Liam Hemsworth has been pretty bad in the things I've seen him in - I just feel like recasting the main actor kills the interest for me. Even if they got someone better than Cavill - he's the one I've gotten used to as Geralt. Recasting such a major role just takes me out of it.

Pretty much this.  For the Netflix series, Cavill *is* Geralt.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2022, 02:11:26 PM »

Yep.

I’d be curious to hear how and why this all went down. By all accounts Cavil pursued this role relentlessly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2022, 03:46:14 PM »

Yup, no one seems to want to watch this without Cavill ugh.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2022, 07:45:41 PM »

Yep.

I’d be curious to hear how and why this all went down. By all accounts Cavil pursued this role relentlessly.

From some comments I've seen online, they're saying that it has to do with re-upping as Superman.  But one comment seemed to make a lot of sense to me.  They said he's leaving due to a disagreement with the writers on where they want to take the show.  He's such a fan of the books and games, and wasn't happy with their plans for Season 4.  So he walked away. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2022, 08:43:13 PM »
From some comments I've seen online, they're saying that it has to do with re-upping as Superman.  But one comment seemed to make a lot of sense to me.  They said he's leaving due to a disagreement with the writers on where they want to take the show.  He's such a fan of the books and games, and wasn't happy with their plans for Season 4.  So he walked away.

They've referenced this before in interviews....that his knowledge of the books and games had actually been drawn upon and that he'd been vocal about a few things and how they were doing it....right and/or wrong.

It's just a total bummer because Netflix HAS to know the viewership is going to plummet with him leaving the show. Nothing against Hemsworth.....but as Chad pointed out and everyone who watches the show knows.....Cavil IS Geralt. It'll be a disaster trying to move on with that character being recast.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2022, 12:36:37 AM »
Yeah, I think I'll be done with this show after season 3!

I think this could have something to do with creative differences between Cavill and the show runners. There was a report from a former writer of the show, that some of the writers disliked and mocked the source material written by Sapkowski. Cavill being a huge fan himself, decided to not renew his contract, and not be a part of something that he was not happy with.

This sucks balls! I was very excited for this show, because I too LOVE the book series and the games! I was pretty satisfied with seasons 1 and 2, despite pretty big changes they made. Killing Eskel in season 2 almost crossed the line for me.

And Liam Hemsworth of all people is supposed to replace him? That dude can't act even if his life depended upon it.

Well, at least the book series and the games are always there. There is even a remake of Witcher 1 in the works for XBSX and PS5.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2022, 04:22:56 AM »
Yeah.... this is going to be a nope from me. I wasn't really feeling season 2 but one of the things I did absolutely love was Cavill as Geralt. It was one of those "this is absolutely perfect" castings, unlike a good chunk of the rest of the cast (in my opinion). I sincerely doubt this won't be a cancelflix case in the future. At least there are the books and the (to me) even better videogames.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2022, 08:38:48 AM »
I hope this doesn't mean Cavill is going to be the next Bond.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2022, 08:44:37 AM »

That’s right. He’s been mentioned in that conversation as well. He’d been brought up for Aegon the Conqueror also in a GOT spin off.

Who knows. I bet it’s as simple as he’s truly upset at the direction the series is taking given how big a fan of it he is. I’m sure Netflix would accommodate his schedule knowing he basically is ‘the’ show.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2022, 09:28:04 AM »

I would be down for it, he was great in The Man From Uncle and I can see it work.