General > Movies and TV

The Witcher (Netflix) Starring Henry Cavill.

(1/34) > >>

Polarbear:
Netflix is making a live action adaptation of The Witcher.

Series is based on the five part saga of novels, and a bunch of short stories written by polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. This adaptation won't be based on the video games, although it is likely that there will be some Easter eggs for the fans of the games!

Not to get too deep into the lore, but The Witcher games by CD Projekt Red are set after the events of the books. The upcoming series is based on the short stories and novels, which means our main characters will be slightly younger than what we see in the games. Including a child/teen Ciri.

Henry Cavill has been cast as Geralt, one of the main characters. No word on castings for the other main characters still, Including Yennefer, Ciri, Dandelion/Jaskier or Vilgefortz.

Obviously Netflix want's this to be their flagship fantasy series, to compete with Game of Thrones or the upcoming Lord of the Rings show by HBO. Shooting for the show should begin soon, and late 2019 release for season 1 is expected.

I'm so far optimistic about this. Anyone else excited and or interested?

Phoenix87x:
I can't wait to see how it turns out. I love the witcher

MrBoom_shack-a-lack:
Sounds cool, will follow this.

Polarbear:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/witcher-netflix-show-casts-ciri-yennefer-roles-1150868

Some more casting news has come out. Anya Chalotra will be Yennefer and Freya Allan is portraying Ciri. Some more cast members were also unveiled; including Jodhi May as Ciri's grandmother Calanthe, MyAnna Buring as Tissaia De Vries and Millie Brady as Reinfri.

I love that they didn't went with someone obvious like Eva Green for Yennefer. It would have been very obvious typecasting. Chalotra is 22 years old, so it remains to be seen if she can pull of a confidence of Yen, who is almost a 100 years old in the books.
Never heard of the little girl who is going to be Ciri, but she definitely has the look of a pre teen Ciri. Some more cast members will obviously be announced later..

With all the characters that have been cast so far, I'm willing to bet that the first season is based of the book "The Last Wish". The Last Wish is a collection of short stories, which means all the episodes of season 1 would be standalone stories. Including Geralt's and Yennefer's backstory and their first encounter. Then the hypothetical season 2 would kick off the more connected saga storyline, beginning with "Blood of Elves".

Enough rambling and speculation, but I'm getting pretty excited honestly! :lol

kaos2900:
If done well this could be the next Game of Thrones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version