Author Topic: The Mark Knopfler Thread - new album "Down The Road Wherever" out in November  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Fritzinger

I couldn't find a Knopfler thread (only a Dire Straits thread, if I'm wrong, please move this post).

The maestro has announced a new album called Down The Road Wherever, out on 16th of November!

Here's the cover and full tracklist (warning, contains song lengths). A NEW SONG, Good On You Son can also be heard HERE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vVeeVBNxNw
Please let me know what you guys think about this song :)

1.   "Trapper Man"   6:00
2.   "Back on the Dance Floor"   5:30
3.   "Nobody's Child"   4:16
4.   "Just a Boy Away from Home"   5:12
5.   "When You Leave"   4:12
6.   "Good on You Son"   5:37
7.   "My Bacon Roll"   5:35
8.   "Nobody Does That"   5:15
9.   "Drovers' Road"   5:05
10.   "One Song at a Time"   6:17
11.   "Floating Away"   5:02
12.   "Slow Learner"   4:34
13.   "Heavy Up"   6:00
14.   "Matchstick Man"   2:52

I'm surprised, this album will be pretty long, also the songs themselves are pretty long!
Very excited!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I love love love Knopfler's playing and I will surely buy this record. But ever since he layed Dire Straits to rest I wish he would rock just a little bit more on his records. There are stellar tunes on all of his solo albums but sometimes they are just too laid back and mellow for my liking. Therefore my excitement when hearing he's got a new record out isn't what it used to be.

Can't hear the tune because I'm at work but will probably give it a listen when I'm home.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Hell yes, will buy it whenever.

This album cover really reminds me of Tracker though. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Absolute inevitable must buy.

Top 5 living songwriter and orchestrator in my book, can't disappoint. Especially with Guy Fletcher still on board.

Offline mikeyd23

Liking that song, sounds really good.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool song!

Yeah, probably a first day purchase.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Liking that song, sounds really good.

Good on you man, good on you
Uh-huh, oh yeah

Nice song.

Offline Kwyjibo

Listened to it, good song, some nice guitar work.  :tup

Offline Fritzinger

What's the song like? I have this weird thing that I don't want to hear it but still wanna know how it is  :lol

I agree on the cover, very Tracker-ish.
By the way, did you guys ever notice that Tracker is the only Knopfler album with Mark on the cover?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
What's the song like? I have this weird thing that I don't want to hear it but still wanna know how it is  :lol

Pretty laid back as Knopfler's usual, but not a slow ballad like Silver Eagle or Dream of the Drowned Submariner, yet not exactly a rocker too. Reminds me of What It Is, only slower paced. The instrumental section is about 90 seconds with some tasty guitar playing (duh) and trumpet (sax? the description says trumpet but I have no idea) and underlying keyboard melody repeating. It's actually a pretty fun one.

I love that Mark keeps pumping out solo albums once in every two or three years. Sucks that he stopped touring Russia due to the political situation here, I guess I'll have to consider travelling somewhere to see him while he's still at it, hopefully there's a tour planned for this album. I missed the latest Gilmour tour because of The Theater Equation in 2015 and now I'm not sure I'll ever see him live; I'm determined to at least see Mark live. He's one of my favourite guitarists and songwriters.

Offline Kwyjibo

What It Is is a good comparison, sounds a bit similar but with a more modern groove.

Offline Fritzinger

Thanks guys! I read that there's some electronic stuff in there, can that be compared to, say, Junkie Doll?

Offline Fritzinger

The new Knopfler is spinning on my turntable for the third time now and WOW this dude just doesn't get older.

I love how he found his way back to groovy songs after a very quiet album (Tracker), a bluesy one (Privat) and a folky one (Lucky).
I didn't expect the man to actually be a little experimental again after all those album! Here a weird keyboard sound in the background, there some cool feminine vocal harmonies. The "folky"-section (fiddle, flute etc) has almost vanished and some funky brass and sax arrangements have taken that spot. The album has many unconventional harmony progressions. And it's finally a little "louder" too. I love everything Knopfler has done to date, also the folky and sweet ballads. But this is a very welcome surprise.

And maaaaan Back On The Dancefloor grooooooves!!!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Just gave this a listen, and I like it way more than Tracker. Some very good stuff, not only the rocking songs are pretty good, the ballads are also beautiful. A few songs I wasn't too fond of, but overall I'm happy with the album.

Offline Fritzinger

Just gave this a listen, and I like it way more than Tracker. Some very good stuff, not only the rocking songs are pretty good, the ballads are also beautiful. A few songs I wasn't too fond of, but overall I'm happy with the album.

As I always experience it with Mark, it took a few (but not too many) listens to get into all the songs. There are still some I like more than others on the record. But overall, for me, there's no "bad" song on there. I love the slightly jazzy vibe of When You Leave and Slow Learner. Good On You Son might be my favourite song as of right now, but that might change in the next days (or hours).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

As I always experience it with Mark, it took a few (but not too many) listens to get into all the songs. There are still some I like more than others on the record. But overall, for me, there's no "bad" song on there. I love the slightly jazzy vibe of When You Leave and Slow Learner. Good On You Son might be my favourite song as of right now, but that might change in the next days (or hours).

When You Leave and Slow Learner are probably my two early favourites.