Author Topic: Ever heard some DT in a bar ?  (Read 3158 times)

Offline PintoZ

Ever heard some DT in a bar ?
« on: September 18, 2018, 04:10:10 AM »
Last week in Tokyo I ended up completely by chance in this bar, and guess what was playing in there for about 30min  :tup

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDZ0YZvqYk

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: Ever heard some DT in a bar ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 05:47:13 AM »
Once, about 20 years ago, I was in a bar and Pull Me Under came on. That's it, once. Never heard DT in any sort of mainstream environment other than that.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 07:30:07 AM »
when I was in college back in the early 90's I was out with friends at a local watering hole.  I checked out the jukebox and low and behold "Awake" was inside the box.  Moments later everyone in the bar was introduced to Caught in a Web.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 08:54:32 AM »
Found one of those Internet jukeboxes years and years ago at a bar in a Chicago suburb. Put on Metropolis for giggles. Saw several people leave. Had said giggles.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »
Found one of those Internet jukeboxes years and years ago at a bar in a Chicago suburb. Put on Metropolis for giggles. Saw several people leave. Had said giggles.

Me too.  My son's baseball team went for pizza a couple of times to a place with one of those jukeboxes.  We've also been to a couple bowling alleys that have them.  Never seen anyone leave as a result of having ACoS playing over the speakers, but it's a nice relief from the usual insipid pop and hip-hop.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »

This is brilliant. I seriously need to do this the next time I see a digital jukebox. :biggrin:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 09:33:21 PM »
I put DT on the jukebox a lot.  Unfortunately some places have a ten minute limit on songs and it does a quick fade out.  Other places don't.  I've played many, many DT songs.  The only person to ever comment was an acquaintance that remarked during In the Name of God, "This is still the same song?!?!"

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 09:41:43 PM »
The only person to ever comment was an acquaintance that remarked during In the Name of God, "This is still the same song?!?!"

Haha.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:59:15 AM »
About a year ago, the bar I usually go drink beer at, pull me under started playing, and I was there with my friends. We started screaming when the song started
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
I have played DT in a sports bar on one of those jukeboxes. It was quite funny as this girl came over to look what was playing while on the phone and telling that person, yes it says Dream Theater on the jukebox. She had been on the phone with her boyfriend when I put the song on and he heard it over the phone and couldnt believe someone was playing DT so he sent her over to confirm and see who played it

Offline Volante99

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 11:03:47 PM »
There’s a dive bar in town that has ACoS as an option and I’ve always been tempted to play it to piss people off. Might as well get my money’s worth!

I once played a heavier DT tune on a jukebox, can’t recall which one, and a patron did ask me who it was because he was enjoying it.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 12:56:55 AM »
Never in a bar, but funnily enough I did hear Forsaken in a Finnish equivalent of Blockbuster once.

Greetings btw, I've been lurking around since mp.com bit the dust. Went by FateSpeaks over there. Nice digs (and inhabitants)!
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline DTA

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 03:23:23 PM »
I heard The Silent Man in a grocery store in NJ today. I wasn't sure I was actually hearing it at first due to how bizarre it was.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 09:05:26 PM »
Never in a bar, but funnily enough I did hear Forsaken in a Finnish equivalent of Blockbuster once.

Greetings btw, I've been lurking around since mp.com bit the dust. Went by FateSpeaks over there. Nice digs (and inhabitants)!
We're nowhere near as bad as some over there said we are, including MP himself :lol

Welcome to the forum
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 03:33:43 AM »
In Tokyo I also went to this bar in which you basically have access to the barman's CD collection and you...simply choose what music you wanna hear  :D

And of course, he had the whole DT catalogue  :P

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 03:49:22 AM »
He must be a cool guy then.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 10:45:56 AM »
In Tokyo I also went to this bar in which you basically have access to the barman's CD collection and you...simply choose what music you wanna hear  :D

Pretty much every time I see a reference to DT and Japan, I can't help but think back to the documentary footage from the Live in Tokyo video and Kevin Moore's wisecracking.   :rollin
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ruba

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »

Pretty much every time I see a reference to DT and Japan, I can't help but think back to the documentary footage from the Live in Tokyo video and Kevin Moore's wisecracking.   :rollin

"I don't like Dream Theater that much, but I was at the record store and had some money, so what the fuck."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
Exactly that.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 04:05:41 AM »

Haha, I always think of that guy ( in a LSFNY documentary I think ? ) saying "Dorimu Siata... SO MUCH PAWA !!!"  ;D

"I don't like Dream Theater that much, but I was at the record store and had some money, so what the fuck."

Indeed ^^
Half of  them were still sealed  :D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 06:58:27 AM »
I tried playing A Change of Seasons at a bar, but didn't pay the extra money to have it played sooner, so it didn't come on until the bar was closing...

Offline Donmac1989

• "Our deeds have traveled far."
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 04:27:35 PM »
Imagine setting it up and playing the whole Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
This feeling inside me
Finally found my love, I've finally broke free
No longer torn in two
I'd take my own life before losing you

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 04:31:08 PM »
Imagine setting it up and playing the whole Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

In a random bar? I'm imagining a good amount of annoyed people. Ranging from slightly annoyed to very annoyed. I'm also imagining a prog fan and his (however number) friends in the back smirking because of how annoyed everyone else is at their very long song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 04:42:42 PM »
I had Illumination theory played at my local rock bar in Wales.. the sound guy was a casual DT fan so liked the popular ones, Pull me Under.. Panic Attack etc.. the bar seemed to be enjoying the song until the long classical/ambient section which annoyed a few people and resulted in him having to turn it off for a Rush track

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 04:51:52 PM »
Not in my area, but way too much AC/DC.. 😴
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2018, 05:12:41 AM »
Does it count if I was the one to play it?  ;D I was friends with the people running the bar so I went to the computer and pumped some DT, good ol' days
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 05:41:59 AM »
I never see a jukebox with Dream Theater, but I have pissed people off playing megadeth.

I did hear Metropolis playing at an NBA game once for about 15 seconds.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bill1971

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2018, 06:44:46 AM »
A few weekends ago in a pool bar on an Internet jukebox I played Pink Floyd echoes followed shortly by DT The Glass Prison. I must admit during the middle part of Echoes seeing people's reactions I felt like a guy who farted in a full elevator

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »
There was a bar at Penn State when I attended that had an internet jukebox.  It was the same price per song, not length.  My friend put a dollar in and played 6DOIT from Score (since it's one track).  About 3 minutes in and as people were leaving in hordes, the bartender pulled the plug on the jukebox to reset it.  I complained about our dollar and they threatened to throw us out.  So that was my one time experience with DT in a bar.

We did go back another night and play a bunch of Iron Maiden songs and they then did the same thing and threatened to kick us out, but we did get three songs in since it at least wasn't just orchestral music.  That night is known as "Maiden night" among us.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2018, 11:04:44 AM »
What kind of bars do you guys go to? I have never seen people leave a bar because of the music being played.

I know of a few places that have the internet jukebox and they're more, I guess, rocker bars, or bars with pool tables. I've played ACOS 8vm and many long songs before without any problems. Its there, the song I want is available, so I'll play it. Although I do play songs from other genres cause I want to hear a song that likely never gets played.

I do find it funny, how music can cause such a feeling that people would leave a place of enjoyment due to ONE song someone decided to play. I'm there to drink, play pool, and hang with friends.

Its fun for Karaoke nights though. I found some amazing song selections at times.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 11:11:38 AM »
There was a bar at Penn State when I attended that had an internet jukebox.  It was the same price per song, not length.  My friend put a dollar in and played 6DOIT from Score (since it's one track).  About 3 minutes in and as people were leaving in hordes, the bartender pulled the plug on the jukebox to reset it.  I complained about our dollar and they threatened to throw us out.  So that was my one time experience with DT in a bar.

We did go back another night and play a bunch of Iron Maiden songs and they then did the same thing and threatened to kick us out, but we did get three songs in since it at least wasn't just orchestral music.  That night is known as "Maiden night" among us.

You should've told the guy. "Hey not my fault I'm getting my moneys worth. I could've spent $8 on these songs seperately, which I would've done anyways as we wanted to hear the suite in its entirety." Would he have pulled the plug if you payed $8 for the seperate tracks.

Which in turn makes me wonder, if the bar tender has a problem then why have an internet jukebox in the first place.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 11:38:56 AM »
Out there in the "real world", they can't even conceive a 40 minutes song. The chances of such 1) actually existing and 2) being played are so slim that having an internet jukebox seems a doable thing.

Hey, I bet that you could stand a 3 minutes rap song, but what if for whatever reason there's a 25 minutes rap song out there? Wardruna, who play ambient / folk music with ancient instruments, just released an acoustic album and there's a SIXTEEN minutes song completely a cappella, only vocals. I can barely sit through it and I'm a fan of the band, who would sit through 16 minutes of someone's voice alone declamating a poem?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »
I dunno, playing a long or "weird" DT song isn't something I would do.

If I ever came across this situation I'd try and find a song that's more "accessible" to try and at least give a nice intro to DT and perhaps get people interested in the music instead of just trying to piss them off.

Even as a fan I'd feel pretty silly sitting at a table for the first 5+ minutes of Octavarium with nothing going on.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 01:52:15 PM »

You should've told the guy. "Hey not my fault I'm getting my moneys worth. I could've spent $8 on these songs seperately, which I would've done anyways as we wanted to hear the suite in its entirety." Would he have pulled the plug if you payed $8 for the seperate tracks.

Which in turn makes me wonder, if the bar tender has a problem then why have an internet jukebox in the first place.

It was pretty clear it was the music that was the problem and that bar had other issues with me before, they claimed my ID was fake once and didn't let me in.  That bar closed after I graduated, I'm assuming because they pissed enough people off to lose a crowd which says something when you are in a prime location next to such a big party campus. 

Offline Donmac1989

• "Our deeds have traveled far."
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2018, 05:51:10 PM »
Honestly I'd love to do some Dream Theater on karaoke.
This feeling inside me
Finally found my love, I've finally broke free
No longer torn in two
I'd take my own life before losing you