Author Topic: Ever heard some DT in a bar ?  (Read 775 times)

Offline PintoZ

Ever heard some DT in a bar ?
« on: September 18, 2018, 04:10:10 AM »
Last week in Tokyo I ended up completely by chance in this bar, and guess what was playing in there for about 30min  :tup

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDZ0YZvqYk

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: Ever heard some DT in a bar ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 05:47:13 AM »
Once, about 20 years ago, I was in a bar and Pull Me Under came on. That's it, once. Never heard DT in any sort of mainstream environment other than that.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online T-ski

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 07:30:07 AM »
when I was in college back in the early 90's I was out with friends at a local watering hole.  I checked out the jukebox and low and behold "Awake" was inside the box.  Moments later everyone in the bar was introduced to Caught in a Web.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kattelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 08:54:32 AM »
Found one of those Internet jukeboxes years and years ago at a bar in a Chicago suburb. Put on Metropolis for giggles. Saw several people leave. Had said giggles.
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »
Found one of those Internet jukeboxes years and years ago at a bar in a Chicago suburb. Put on Metropolis for giggles. Saw several people leave. Had said giggles.

Me too.  My son's baseball team went for pizza a couple of times to a place with one of those jukeboxes.  We've also been to a couple bowling alleys that have them.  Never seen anyone leave as a result of having ACoS playing over the speakers, but it's a nice relief from the usual insipid pop and hip-hop.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

• RIP Mom, 1952-2018
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »

This is brilliant. I seriously need to do this the next time I see a digital jukebox. :biggrin:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 09:33:21 PM »
I put DT on the jukebox a lot.  Unfortunately some places have a ten minute limit on songs and it does a quick fade out.  Other places don't.  I've played many, many DT songs.  The only person to ever comment was an acquaintance that remarked during In the Name of God, "This is still the same song?!?!"

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 09:41:43 PM »
The only person to ever comment was an acquaintance that remarked during In the Name of God, "This is still the same song?!?!"

Haha.

Offline Pax

• Chemist
  • Pianist/composer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:59:15 AM »
About a year ago, the bar I usually go drink beer at, pull me under started playing, and I was there with my friends. We started screaming when the song started
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
I have played DT in a sports bar on one of those jukeboxes. It was quite funny as this girl came over to look what was playing while on the phone and telling that person, yes it says Dream Theater on the jukebox. She had been on the phone with her boyfriend when I put the song on and he heard it over the phone and couldnt believe someone was playing DT so he sent her over to confirm and see who played it

Offline Volante99

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 11:03:47 PM »
Thereís a dive bar in town that has ACoS as an option and Iíve always been tempted to play it to piss people off. Might as well get my moneyís worth!

I once played a heavier DT tune on a jukebox, canít recall which one, and a patron did ask me who it was because he was enjoying it.

Online Bentower

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 12:56:55 AM »
Never in a bar, but funnily enough I did hear Forsaken in a Finnish equivalent of Blockbuster once.

Greetings btw, I've been lurking around since mp.com bit the dust. Went by FateSpeaks over there. Nice digs (and inhabitants)!

Offline DTA

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 03:23:23 PM »
I heard The Silent Man in a grocery store in NJ today. I wasn't sure I was actually hearing it at first due to how bizarre it was.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2018
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 09:05:26 PM »
Never in a bar, but funnily enough I did hear Forsaken in a Finnish equivalent of Blockbuster once.

Greetings btw, I've been lurking around since mp.com bit the dust. Went by FateSpeaks over there. Nice digs (and inhabitants)!
We're nowhere near as bad as some over there said we are, including MP himself :lol

Welcome to the forum
"Keep your stick on the ice. I'm pulling for ya. Remember we're all in this together."
-Red Green

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 03:33:43 AM »
In Tokyo I also went to this bar in which you basically have access to the barman's CD collection and you...simply choose what music you wanna hear  :D

And of course, he had the whole DT catalogue  :P

Offline Max Kuehnau

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 03:49:22 AM »
He must be a cool guy then.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 10:45:56 AM »
In Tokyo I also went to this bar in which you basically have access to the barman's CD collection and you...simply choose what music you wanna hear  :D

Pretty much every time I see a reference to DT and Japan, I can't help but think back to the documentary footage from the Live in Tokyo video and Kevin Moore's wisecracking.   :rollin
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ruba

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »

Pretty much every time I see a reference to DT and Japan, I can't help but think back to the documentary footage from the Live in Tokyo video and Kevin Moore's wisecracking.   :rollin

"I don't like Dream Theater that much, but I was at the record store and had some money, so what the fuck."
Long after the others are dead, Myung will be found in a temple on the top of a very very high mountain. One must climb up, arrive nearly dead before being granted a moment of his infinite wisdom.

Offline Max Kuehnau

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
Exactly that.

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 04:05:41 AM »

Haha, I always think of that guy ( in a LSFNY documentary I think ? ) saying "Dorimu Siata... SO MUCH PAWA !!!"  ;D

"I don't like Dream Theater that much, but I was at the record store and had some money, so what the fuck."

Indeed ^^
Half of  them were still sealed  :D

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 06:58:27 AM »
I tried playing A Change of Seasons at a bar, but didn't pay the extra money to have it played sooner, so it didn't come on until the bar was closing...