Author Topic: Rush - band that has some of the most RABID fans?  (Read 2761 times)

Offline WildRanger

Rush - band that has some of the most RABID fans?
« on: September 16, 2018, 06:17:53 AM »
This thread would be interesting for discussion here because most people on this board are Rush fans and I am a big fan too.

When it comes to Rush fans I noticed that there is a big number of them who openly claim "Rush is the best band in the world" and some of them would add "No one can't touch Rush".
Also there are many Rush fans who claim that Rush has no BAD album in their discography. Especially I find that statement to be pretty absurd and incredibly biased and far from truth and I'm saying it as someone who is a big Rush fan.

Anyway I think in general, statements like "________ (insert this or that band) is the BEST band of all time" are PRETENTIOUS and they could cause a strong argument with many music fans who disagree. If you say "This or that band is my FAVORITE band of all time" nearly nobody would argue with you for that. 

Is Rush one of the bands with most rabid fans? If they are, why?
Discuss.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Rush - band that has some of the most RABID fans?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:19:12 AM »
You've obviously never seen Tarja fans go at it with other Nightwish fans.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:35:19 AM »

I haven't seen them either. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 06:40:17 AM »
I would assume that Metallica fans and Iron Maiden fans were fairly certain and intransigent that their favorite band is the best metal band in the world (and Maiden fans are actually right about it).

Also, while I don't follow those bands, I get the impression that U2 and Pearl Jam are deep and "cerebral" enough to have their fair share of fans who think that they follow the most intellectual and unique band that there's ever been.

I think any band big enough to be worldwide famous has quite some many fans with "legitimate" reasons why their band is the absolutely best-est ever in the entire history of mankind.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 06:54:38 AM »

I think any band big enough to be worldwide famous has quite some many fans with "legitimate" reasons why their band is the absolutely best-est ever in the entire history of mankind.

Is Rush a famous band worldwide? I know they are very big in America, but generally worldwide? I really doubt it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 06:55:17 AM »
Rabid is the incorrect description.   Devoted is more apt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 07:02:39 AM »
No.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 07:04:42 AM »
I met a lot of rush fans in my day and they seemed like more casual fans. I think DT fans are worse based off of real life interactions.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 07:28:36 AM »

Oof, the Nightwish fandom is basically a powder keg. Mention liking any of the singers (except Marco Hietala) more than any of the others and someone's probably gonna end up dead

Rush fans are fairly devoted, but they're nowhere near as vitriolic or obsessive as the fans for say Kanye or Radiohead or BTS or the twitter pop stans or Dream Theater or Nightwish or...actually, literally any metal band.

Is Rush a famous band worldwide? I know they are very big in America, but generally worldwide? I really doubt it.

Well per Wikipedia, Clockwork Angels did hit Top 10 in several European countries and they have several albums certified Silver in the UK. They're not nearly a big in Europe as they are in the US/Canada, but they're definitely not unknown.

Offline Adami

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »
What an odd band to ask this about. I have never met a "rabid" rush fan. They're usually pretty mild mannered and nice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
Any kind of fan can be like that, it only depends on the level of their fanaticism and if they can even be aware of it. This is definitely not band-related.

You can't talk or debate with people like that. They turn the band into their religion, their identity.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 09:37:50 AM »
Slayer

Oh wait, I didn’t pronounce it right.

SLAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 09:47:10 AM »
Slayer

Oh wait, I didn’t pronounce it right.

SLAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

And pronunciation should be non-rhotic: Slayah!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »
Geoff Tate's Queensryche fans circa 2013
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 07:06:48 PM »

Um...the word "fans" in the OP is plural...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »

Um...the word "fans" in the OP is plural...

touche

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 02:15:33 AM »
"No one can't touch Rush".

So everyone can touch Rush? (Yay double negatives!)

Also there are many Rush fans who claim that Rush has no BAD album in their discography. Especially I find that statement to be pretty absurd and incredibly biased and far from truth and I'm saying it as someone who is a big Rush fan.

Anyway I think in general, statements like "________ (insert this or that band) is the BEST band of all time" are PRETENTIOUS and they could cause a strong argument with many music fans who disagree. If you say "This or that band is my FAVORITE band of all time" nearly nobody would argue with you for that. 

You've kind of contradicted yourself here. No music is inherently bad or good in and of itself, no matter what you try to convince yourself. That's the great thing about the truth; it doesn't need validation from anyone. It just is.

All music is placed somewhere on the spectrum of Favourites.

Those "rabid" types of fans of which you speak are toxic poison to the world of music. They divide us when music is supposed to unite us. They're the ones who moan when a band changes direction or does something they don't like, and they feel like they have to ruin it for the rest of us by telling us exactly why no one else is allowed to enjoy it.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 02:41:42 AM »
"No one can't touch Rush".

So everyone can touch Rush? (Yay double negatives!)

kek

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 07:42:52 AM »
Never met a hardcore Rush fan who wasn't a total gentleman arguing about music and/or bands. Sure, the quiet peaceful confidence of being a fan of the greatest ensemble on earth was there, but still.

Manowar fans on the other hand, now we're talking about some soccer mom level of bias.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »
Manowar fans on the other hand, now we're talking about some soccer mom level of bias.

OTHER BANDS PLAY, MANOWAR KILL  :metal

Seriously, I pride myself in being a rare reasonable Manowar fan, I know their strenghts and recognize their weaknessess.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 08:05:09 AM »
THEY HAVE NO WEAKNESSES!

*wink*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »

Seriously, I pride myself in being a rare reasonable Manowar fan, I know their strenghts and recognize their weaknessess.

Until I see you in woolly mammoth boots, a fuzzy cock piece and wielding an axe I won't believe it.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 08:22:10 AM »

Until I see you in woolly mammoth boots, a fuzzy cock piece and wielding an axe I won't believe it.

Hail to Kingshmegland!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 08:29:06 AM »
I think the cover of Into Glory Ride is what Manowar will be most remembered by non Manowar fans  :lol

Actually they went so far with their antics and "death to false metal" attitude that they became kinda a joke for those who don't follow them. And it's a pity because Manoware a legitimate good, and sometimes glorious, epic metal band. They have written masterpieces of the genre. When the creative vein was running low, the antics and the uber-metal attitude became higher and higher, and they've kinda become a parody by now. A pity because as I said they have so many songs that are absolute masterpieces of epic metal, but they didn't manage to live up to that in the second half of their recording carreer.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2018, 09:20:33 AM »
I knew it! :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »

For the most part, this is no principled distinction between "Mumbling Carcass is the BEST BAND EVER!!!" and "Mumbling Carcass is my FAVORITE BAND EVER!!!"  If that's why you're saying that the former sort of statement is "pretentious" (i.e., because it is a statement of opinion pretending to be a statement of objective fact), then I agree.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Is Rush one of the bands with most rabid fans? If they are, why?

If you can explain to me how to measure rabidity, I'll be happy to answer this question.  Absent such an explanation, I will simply agree that a significant percentage of Rush fans are passionate about the band.

Since TAC apparently overlooked this:  I've never seen it or even heard of the two bands you mentioned.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 12:28:19 PM »
Is there really a band named "Mumbling Carcass"? 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »

Since TAC apparently overlooked this:  I've never seen it or even heard of the two bands you mentioned.

Short version: Nightwish are a symphonic metal band. Heard about dozens of bands with a girl singing in operatic style? yeah, they all come from Nightwish basically. There were other pioneers but Nightwish made having a female singer (and an operatic one) cool. Tarja Turunen was such singer, the lead vocalist for Nightwish until she was suddenly fired. And by suddenly I mean they had the last concert of the tour, and then gave her a letter that was saying "you're a spoiled bitch and your husband is an asshole too, you're out. PS: all the internet knows about it".

The debate about wether she was indeed a spoiled bitch or not and wether the band was justified in brutally and suddenly sacking her without warning has went on ever since it happened, in 2005, and of course it extended to the replacement singers that followed.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2018, 12:49:17 PM »

I believe they are a Six Roaming Owls side project.   :hat
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Adami

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2018, 12:55:46 PM »

Wanna start a band?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
I think the band WildRanger has the most polarity, and RABID fans/non-fans.   :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2018, 01:12:48 PM »
I think the band WildRanger has the most polarity, and RABID fans/non-fans.   :lol

Well Alex Lifeson is a little Bi-polar on stage. :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
I haven't met a Rush fan in real life, but on the internet they seem passionate but relatively reserved to me. Liking all their music unconditionally is not that high on the crazy fan scale. The only "rabid" type of fans I personally have met in real life are some Apple and Nintendo fans. People who have basically devoted their lifestyle to a line of products. And not liking a product from that line will result in reaction that resembles incoherent twitter outrage, but in real life. I am sure there are Rush fans out there that are like that, but the same could be said for any fanbase that is large I think. Still, some fanbases seem to have more crazies than others, but the only evidence I have is anecdotal.

Short version: Nightwish are a symphonic metal band. Heard about dozens of bands with a girl singing in operatic style? yeah, they all come from Nightwish basically. There were other pioneers but Nightwish made having a female singer (and an operatic one) cool. Tarja Turunen was such singer, the lead vocalist for Nightwish until she was suddenly fired. And by suddenly I mean they had the last concert of the tour, and then gave her a letter that was saying "you're a spoiled bitch and your husband is an asshole too, you're out. PS: all the internet knows about it".

The debate about wether she was indeed a spoiled bitch or not and wether the band was justified in brutally and suddenly sacking her without warning has went on ever since it happened, in 2005, and of course it extended to the replacement singers that followed.

To be fair, it didn't help Anette sucked live for most of their songs. Now with Floor there seems to be less vitriol thankfully. But yes, the endless Tarja/Anette discussions back in the day had an almost endless supply of hate comments.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 01:49:18 PM »

Wanna start a band?

I'm in!