Author Topic: Your top 10 METAL albums of all time(including Dream Theater)!  (Read 5757 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Your top 10 METAL albums of all time(including Dream Theater)!
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2018, 11:07:45 AM »
Ok, so I listened to TFF for the first time in a couple years. Like all Maiden records, I like it, some real good tunes, but my opinion remains -- it is not one I will reach for often. Of the "reunion" records, it and Dance of Death are at the bottom, with BNW, AMoLaD, and Book of Souls at the top.

Maiden has so many killer albums, reaching for one of the "very good" ones can get difficult.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
Metallica-Master of Puppets :omg:
" ...And Justice for all :metal
Voivod-Nothingface :hefdaddy
Badlands-Voodoo Highway :hat
Maiden-Powerslave :tup
Ratt-Out of the Cellar :eek
Slayer-Reign in Blood :xbones
DT-Awake :yarr
Ozzy-Diary of a Madman :omg:
Sepultura-Chaos AD :o

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »
1.  Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
2.  Metallica - And Justice For All
3.  Iron Maiden - Powerslave
4.  Megadeth - Rust in Peace
5.  Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes
6.  Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
7.  Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell
8.  Slayer - Reign in Blood
9.  Dio - Holy Diver
10. Radakka - Malice & Tranquility

9 out of 10 are massive records from the respective artist and are no surprise.  Radakka is a local Chicago area band who put out an incredible record on Century Media in 1995 and were my introduction to melodic metal with soaring vocals after being a thrasher for several years.  That record was life-changing for me when I was 16 years old and I'll always include it in a top-albums list even though it's relatively unknown.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2018, 05:19:32 PM »
Man......... this ones gonna be a bitch! Won't even try to put them in order, my brain might 'splode!  :metal :metal :metal

Queensryche - Mindcrime
Dio - Last In Line
Iron Maiden - Piece O' Mind/Powerslave.... (I cheated too)
Black Sabbath -  Heaven and Hell
Anthrax - Among the Living
Testament - Practice What you Preach
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Dream Theater - Awake
Pain of Salvation - Perfect Element Pt. 1 (Remedy lane is my fav, but can't really call it Metal by my definition)
Death Angel - Act III

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2018, 05:36:46 PM »
Man... Iced Earth's Something Wicked is definitely up there for me. Way up there. That record is a masterpiece from the first note to the last.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2018, 06:40:41 PM »

Radakka is a local Chicago area band who put out an incredible record on Century Media in 1995 and were my introduction to melodic metal with soaring vocals after being a thrasher for several years.  That record was life-changing for me when I was 16 years old and I'll always include it in a top-albums list even though it's relatively unknown.

It's on Spotify. Just dropped the needle on a few tracks. Sounds very cool. Got it Saved.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2018, 07:09:52 PM »

Radakka is a local Chicago area band who put out an incredible record on Century Media in 1995 and were my introduction to melodic metal with soaring vocals after being a thrasher for several years.  That record was life-changing for me when I was 16 years old and I'll always include it in a top-albums list even though it's relatively unknown.

It's on Spotify. Just dropped the needle on a few tracks. Sounds very cool. Got it Saved.

Can't say that I ever loved it but I do have this on CD.   Good to see it get a mention though - never seen it mentioned anywhere before  :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »
So difficult

Images and Words
Ride the Lightning (could be Master or Justice)
Rust in Piece
Somewhere in Time
Beneath the Remains
Stained Class
Reign in Blood
Divine Wings of Tragedy
Metal Heart
Blizzard of Oz

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2018, 04:51:27 AM »
So difficult

Images and Words
Ride the Lightning (could be Master or Justice)
Rust in Piece
Somewhere in Time
Beneath the Remains
Stained Class
Reign in Blood
Divine Wings of Tragedy
Metal Heart
Blizzard of Oz

...Remains & Metal Heart are way up there for me too. :tup

Online Grappler

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2018, 06:12:54 AM »

Can't say that I ever loved it but I do have this on CD.   Good to see it get a mention though - never seen it mentioned anywhere before  :tup

Two mega thumbs up to you guys!   :tup :tup   

Glad to see you checking it out or remembering what I feel is a true hidden gem in the metal world. 

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2018, 09:23:33 AM »
this is tough. we are including prog metal i'm assuming but i'll try to stay away from it

Metallica- Master of Puppets
Queensryche- Operation Mindcrime
Symphony X- The Odyssey
Mastodon- Emperor of Sand
Katatonia- The Great Cold Distance
Opeth- Blackwater Park
Opeth- Ghost Reveries
Pantera- Vulgar Display of Power
Dream Theater- Awake
Iron Maiden- Powerslave

Offline pg1067

« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2018, 12:16:01 PM »

Good call!  I prefer Spreading the Disease (A.I.R. and The Enemy are pretty high on my list of all-time favorite metal songs), but I forgot about Anthrax when I did my list.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2018, 12:45:21 PM »
No Particular Order
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Dream Theater - Awake (Images and Words is just as good and sometimes even better, but Awake is the better Metal album for me)
Opeth - Blackwater Park
In Flames - Whoracle (Yes. I like it better than The Jester Race)
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Queensr˙che - Operation: Mindcrime

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
Metal Heart

Great to see this. Made my list too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »

Good call!  I prefer Spreading the Disease (A.I.R. and The Enemy are pretty high on my list of all-time favorite metal songs), but I forgot about Anthrax when I did my list.
Yeah... the summer it came out you couldn't pry me away from it.  Loved Spreading the Disease also, but ATL I thought was a much tighter album.

Offline max_security

« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2018, 04:34:59 PM »
Man I am not trying to be stuck back in 1988 I just am .

1 ) Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind . What can I say that hasn't been said , the strange mix and production just add to the iconic sound of this album.

2) Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force . Regardless of what you think of the guy this album is powerful and it changed everything about heavy rock , progressive , etc. Yeah there is some noodle BS on this , but there is also some intense composition in places as well.

3) Alcatrazz - No Parole From Rock And Roll . Skinny Yngwie again playing stuff that no one else could or would maybe. Grahm Bonnett and YM wrote some cool / weird stuff ( Bigfoot is so incredibe check it out ).

4) Racer-X - Second Heat. Paul Gilbert with another guitarist as good as he was and bass / drums to go with it. The Judas Priest cover on the album is crushing.

5) Tony MacAlpine - Maximum Security. Another too many notes kind of feller who also playes Keys / piano. I liked the previous album with Billy Sheehan but he did a better job with this one .

6) Talas - High Speed On Ice. Billy Sheehan used to play through some insane gear and was incredibly musical for a bass player. This is not a " masterpiece " album but just a favorite of mine.

7) Jason Becker- Perpetual Burn. Superhuman guitar playing. This album is like YM Rising Force taken to the next level. I feel that it lacks the compositional dicipline of Rising force but there is no question of the ability of Jason Becker.

8) Queensryche - Rage For Order. They were hungry and trying to figure it out on this one and the creativity and musicianship are just stellar on this.

9) Joey Taffola - Out Of The Sun. More neoclassical metal ( we also called it progressive metal back then ). This one has Paul Gilbert and T Mac.

10) Marty Friedman - Dragons Kiss. Still the best thing he has done , Megadeth whatever.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2018, 04:39:08 PM »
Man I am not trying to be stuck back in 1988 I just am .

1 ) Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind . What can I say that hasn't been said , the strange mix and production just add to the iconic sound of this album.

2) Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force . Regardless of what you think of the guy this album is powerful and it changed everything about heavy rock , progressive , etc. Yeah there is some noodle BS on this , but there is also some intense composition in places as well.

3) Alcatrazz - No Parole From Rock And Roll . Skinny Yngwie again playing stuff that no one else could or would maybe. Grahm Bonnett and YM wrote some cool / weird stuff ( Bigfoot is so incredibe check it out ).

4) Racer-X - Second Heat. Paul Gilbert with another guitarist as good as he was and bass / drums to go with it. The Judas Priest cover on the album is crushing.

5) Tony MacAlpine - Maximum Security. Another too many notes kind of feller who also playes Keys / piano. I liked the previous album with Billy Sheehan but he did a better job with this one .

6) Talas - High Speed On Ice. Billy Sheehan used to play through some insane gear and was incredibly musical for a bass player. This is not a " masterpiece " album but just a favorite of mine.

7) Jason Becker- Perpetual Burn. Superhuman guitar playing. This album is like YM Rising Force taken to the next level. I feel that it lacks the compositional dicipline of Rising force but there is no question of the ability of Jason Becker.

8) Queensryche - Rage For Order. They were hungry and trying to figure it out on this one and the creativity and musicianship are just stellar on this.

9) Joey Taffola - Out Of The Sun. More neoclassical metal ( we also called it progressive metal back then ). This one has Paul Gilbert and T Mac.

10) Mart Friedman - Dragons Kiss. Still the best thing he has done , Megadeth whatever.
Good call on Yngwie... Rising Force was EPIC!  Black Star..wow!  Far Beyond the Sun?  Simply phenominal (and nominated for a grammy if memory serves me right)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »
Good call on Yngwie... Rising Force was EPIC!  Black Star..wow!  Far Beyond the Sun?  Simply phenominal (and nominated for a grammy if memory serves me right)

According to what I just looked up, Rising Force (the album, released in March 1984) was nominated in the Best Rock Instrumental Performance category at the 28th Grammy Awards in February 1986, which was supposed to honor accomplishments in 1985.  It lost out to the song "Escape" by Jeff Beck.  I'm not sure why the entire album would be nominated in a category normally reserved for songs, but the category was won by albums in the three years between 1988-90.  I'm also not sure why an album that was not entirely instrumental would be nominated in an "instrumental" category.  Also, this is the same category that gave an award in 1982 to the Police's "Behind My Camel" (a song released in 1980) over Rush's "YYZ," so, you know....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2018, 07:12:32 AM »
10) Marty Friedman - Dragons Kiss. Still the best thing he has done , Megadeth whatever.

I need to revisit that then. I've got all the solo albums he released when not in Megadeth and I love all the stuff after he left but I'd never really gotten into Dragon's Kiss. It might be that I think I originally bought it along with the two Cacophony albums and I perhaps overlooked it a little bit as a result.

Offline Heavy Metal Hippie

« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2018, 07:50:39 AM »
Chronological order:

Def Leppard - Pyromania
Dio - The Last in Line
Queensryche - Rage For Order
Megadeth  - Peace Sells
Pretty Maids - Future World
Malmsteen - Odyssey
Crimson Glory - Transcendence
Dream Theater - Images & Words
Winger - Pull
Fates Warning Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »

I need to revisit that then. I've got all the solo albums he released when not in Megadeth and I love all the stuff after he left but I'd never really gotten into Dragon's Kiss. It might be that I think I originally bought it along with the two Cacophony albums and I perhaps overlooked it a little bit as a result.

Scenes is better  It's not "METAL!" but it's better.  "Valley of Eternity", GTFO.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2018, 09:52:30 AM »

According to what I just looked up, Rising Force (the album, released in March 1984) was nominated in the Best Rock Instrumental Performance category at the 28th Grammy Awards in February 1986, which was supposed to honor accomplishments in 1985.  It lost out to the song "Escape" by Jeff Beck.  I'm not sure why the entire album would be nominated in a category normally reserved for songs, but the category was won by albums in the three years between 1988-90.  I'm also not sure why an album that was not entirely instrumental would be nominated in an "instrumental" category.  Also, this is the same category that gave an award in 1982 to the Police's "Behind My Camel" (a song released in 1980) over Rush's "YYZ," so, you know....

I'm a huge Beck fan, but "Escape" isn't a high point of his career; the entire album ("Flash") is probably the most dated sounding record in his catalogue (and that's actually saying something).   That's typical Grammy nonsense.

TRIVIA:  WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, can anyone tell me who engineered the first two Yngwie solo records?   Hint:  I can think of three times I've mentioned him (or his work) in the last couple weeks in various threads.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2018, 10:13:40 AM »
I looked that up. That was a real surprise.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2018, 10:25:31 AM »
Not the same person as the famous one, though.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »
1-10 St. Anger

Sorry.

DT - Octavarium (hope that still counts as metal)
Haken - Affinity
Tool - Lateralus / Ćnima (I can never decide between these two)
Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Can't think of more.. I dunno, I am not such a big metal guy. I love it by some bands though.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »
Chronological order:

Def Leppard - Pyromania
Dio - The Last in Line
Queensryche - Rage For Order
Megadeth  - Peace Sells
Pretty Maids - Future World
Malmsteen - Odyssey
Crimson Glory - Transcendence
Dream Theater - Images & Words
Winger - Pull
Fates Warning Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance

:tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline pg1067

« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2018, 11:50:50 AM »
TRIVIA:  WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, can anyone tell me who engineered the first two Yngwie solo records?   Hint:  I can think of three times I've mentioned him (or his work) in the last couple weeks in various threads.

I'm not sure I could tell you -- without looking it up -- who engineered ANY album by ANYONE.

EDIT:  I looked it up.  Both of the engineers on those two albums are pretty much nobodies.  One of them has a name similar to someone who is well known, but it's not the same person.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:12:03 PM by pg1067 »

Offline max_security

« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
I wondered if it was the same guy , I got the name correct from memory , lol. Edit : I can't remember the names of people I meet 10 minutes ago but dumb stuff like that is burned in , good grief.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:36:59 PM by max_security »

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2018, 12:39:15 PM »
No one included Savatage on its list?
I can't believe.

Online Grappler

« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2018, 12:41:50 PM »
I can't believe.

Maybe you should make a poll about it?   :huh:

I love Savatage, but there's really only one or two spots in my all time favorites list where they might slide in.  It's hard to compete with iconic records like Rust in Peace, Reign in Blood, Powerslave or Heaven and Hell.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2018, 01:51:18 PM »

I'm not sure I could tell you -- without looking it up -- who engineered ANY album by ANYONE.

EDIT:  I looked it up.  Both of the engineers on those two albums are pretty much nobodies.  One of them has a name similar to someone who is well known, but it's not the same person.

Don't let anyone bamboozle you into thinking I never admit my mistakes.  I was very much under the impression it WAS the same guy (and it's not:  the more famous guy is ---LIE, not ---TER).  My bad.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2018, 01:53:41 PM »

I'm not sure why anyone would.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2018, 07:00:21 PM »

I'm not sure why anyone would.

Yeah, no kidding.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2018, 11:36:57 PM »
At least someone mentioned Winger, so this thread is kinda legit.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2018, 04:25:43 AM »
Scenes is better  It's not "METAL!" but it's better.

Since I found Introduction boring (I was loaned it by a friend around the time it came out) I never bothered to give Scenes a try... it's on Spotify these days so I should give it a listen.