Author Topic: "Must-have" or huge classic albums that you "don't get"?  (Read 11790 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: "Must-have" or huge classic albums that you "don't get"?
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2018, 09:31:16 AM »
It has been a long time since I listened, but OK Computer is the first that comes to mind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2018, 09:34:20 AM »
OK Computer
Nevermind
Tommy (not that it's bad, or I don't get it, but I just prefer Who's Next and Quadrophenia)
American Beauty (I actually love the Dead, but this album just doesn't work for me at all; I prefer Anthem of the Sun or Terrapin Station)
Revenge (HUGE Kiss fan, but I don't quite get the love)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
Every AC/DC album ever recorded. I just don't get it.  ???

Weren't you at the Chicago Queensryche Q2K shows at the House of Blues in March of 2000?  I went 2 nights in a row and for both nights, the music on the PA system was Back in Black.  Over, and over, and over again.  Pre-show and in between bands.  When the album ended, it just started over again.   :lol   I don't think I've ever recovered from that abuse - I like some AC/DC, but I haven't been able to enjoy anything from that album in 18 years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2018, 10:07:33 AM »
WTF is OK Computer? Is that a classic album? A band? I’ve never heard of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
Tim, you never heard of Radiohead?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2018, 10:14:45 AM »
I’ve heard of them. But I’ve never heard them. Is that one of their albums?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »
Yes.  It was them stepping into a more progressive style of music.  The hit song, Paranoid Android was in high rotation on MTV & VH1.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2018, 11:14:30 AM »
What year? MTV hasn’t played videos in ages.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2018, 11:20:23 AM »
Mike used to have OK Computer pretty high up on his list of all-time favorites, if memory serves.   Rolling Stone orgasms over Thom Yorke about  every two issues, whether they have a release/tour or not. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2018, 11:21:22 AM »

Weren't you at the Chicago Queensryche Q2K shows at the House of Blues in March of 2000?  I went 2 nights in a row and for both nights, the music on the PA system was Back in Black.  Over, and over, and over again.  Pre-show and in between bands.  When the album ended, it just started over again.   :lol   I don't think I've ever recovered from that abuse - I like some AC/DC, but I haven't been able to enjoy anything from that album in 18 years.

I was there (and in Milwaukee). But for the Chicago show, we totally missed the opener (doubleDrive), which sucked, because I loved their set in Milwaukee and became a huge fan. So I missed the AC/DC. We got into the venue probably with five minutes before Queensryche went on. It wasn't at HoB though. It was at the Riv. Or did that become an HoB?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »

I was there (and in Milwaukee). But for the Chicago show, we totally missed the opener (doubleDrive), which sucked, because I loved their set in Milwaukee and became a huge fan. So I missed the AC/DC. We got into the venue probably with five minutes before Queensryche went on. It wasn't at HoB though. It was at the Riv. Or did that become an HoB?

They played the Riv (Riviera Theater) in November 1999 and then did 3 nights at the HOB in March 2000.  I was at the Riv show and the first 2 nights of the HOB shows.

Good thing you missed all of that non-stop AC/DC.   :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »
The Black Album

I grew to "like" it later.  But seriously.  The first Metallica album with several skip tracks.  There are some really cool songs there, but it's over polished and when you consider lame tracks like Don't Tread on Me, the entire album is just OK. 

Agree.  Both the Black Album and Empire were part of the series of disappointing early 90s releases by the great bands of the 80s (Maiden's No Prayer for the Dying being the other that springs immediately to mind).  This was like, "really?  Metallica too?"  It's still heavy, but "over polished" is right.  "Enter Sandman" was such a childish song (I'm talking more musically than anything else).  Just that one riff repeated over and over and over AND OVER....  Also too grungy for my taste.  Seemed like a conscious effort to do something very different from AJFA, and then Metallica took that to the extreme with BloodCum and BloodPiss.

Empire

Pretty much the same thing.  Remove the trash that is The Thin Line and One and Only and the album becomes instantly better.  Not as great as their truly classic stuff, but still really good.

ftfy

Best I Can, Another Rainy Night, Resistance, Hand on Heart and Anybody Listening? are really good to great songs.  Jet City Woman and the title track are just average, and the rest of the album should have been left on the cutting room floor (the success of Silent Lucidity notwithstanding).  That being said, virtually anything QR could have done would have been a bit of a disappointment in comparison to O:M.

And it's a bit obscure (and RJ's gonna hate on me for this), but Tales from Topographic Oceans.

I'm not sure even hardcore Yes fans would call Topographic Oceans a "must have" or a "classic."  I love it, but it took a bit of effort, and I completely understand why even fans of 70s prog wouldn't like it and why it was panned at the time of its release.

I've heard of OK Computer, but I'm not sure I've ever heard a single song from it (I'm looking at the track list, and none of the titles sound like anything I've ever heard.  According to Wikipedia, this album has sold about 2.5 million copies in the U.S. (about on par with Bon Jovi's Crush), but the Wikipedia article is longer than the articles for some U.S. presidents.  I think maybe the only Radiohead song I've ever heard was "Creep," which I sought out about a year ago (for some reason I can't now remember) and thought it sucked hard.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2018, 11:40:37 AM »
I've heard of OK Computer and knew it was a Radiohead album but that's about it. If I have ever heard a Radiohead song I am unaware of it. I think I get them confused with Coldplay. Do they both have whiney British sounding vocalists?

According to Wikipedia, this album has sold about 2.5 million copies in the U.S. (about on par with Bon Jovi's Crush), but the Wikipedia article is longer than the articles for some U.S. presidents.

:lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2018, 11:47:44 AM »
While of course I know the famous songs here and there, I still haven't felt a compelling urge to properly and thoroughly explore the discographies of:

- The Beatles
- Rolling Stones
- Pink Floyd
- Rush

So I'd guess any of the classic albums of those bands.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2018, 11:49:02 AM »
I've heard of OK Computer and knew it was a Radiohead album but that's about it. If I have ever heard a Radiohead song I am unaware of it. I think I get them confused with Coldplay. Do they both have whiney British sounding vocalists?

According to Wikipedia, this album has sold about 2.5 million copies in the U.S. (about on par with Bon Jovi's Crush), but the Wikipedia article is longer than the articles for some U.S. presidents.

:lol

Moving pictures sold 2.6 and what do you think of that album Chris?

Edir: That was before the remasters and 5.1 CD's that pushed it to 4 million in sales.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2018, 11:54:02 AM »
I should have highlighted (or is it highlit? I never know) the part about the Wikipedia page for OK Computer being longer than the pages for some presidents.

Moving Pictures is amazing, but HOT TAKE COMING I think Tom Sawyer is one of the most overrated songs in classic rock. And I say that being a big fan of Rush (2112-MP Rush anyway)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2018, 11:56:47 AM »
I'm with you on Radiohead, Chris.  I'm actually having a similar reaction to an album I am listening to that I am supposed to review prior to its release.  It is a band that is quite popular here.  But I am having a REALLY hard time figuring out how I am going to have much positive to say.  Especially whenever the vocals come in.  They just suck SO bad.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »

This was like, "really?  Metallica too?"  It's still heavy, but "over polished" is right.  "Enter Sandman" was such a childish song (I'm talking more musically than anything else).  Just that one riff repeated over and over and over AND OVER....  Also too grungy for my taste.  Seemed like a conscious effort to do something very different from AJFA, and then Metallica took that to the extreme with BloodCum and BloodPiss.

Contrast that with me, who heard "The  Black Album" and realized that "wow, Metallica AREN'T pretenders, they're the real deal!"  I also point to the episode of "Later... With Jools Holland" where they played "Enter Sandman" as the closing number, and as the camera panned around to the other acts (the show is in a studio and all the acts are set up in a circle, sort of) EVERY ONE of them was clapping, singing along, and even some of the guitar players were playing along.  Some of the greatest artists in music history - Macca, Elton John, Tom Jones, Robert Plant, Paul Rogers - have been on that show, and I have never seen that even one other time.   It's one of the best live performances I've ever seen, by any band.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2018, 12:06:15 PM »
I'm with you on Radiohead, Chris.  I'm actually having a similar reaction to an album I am listening to that I am supposed to review prior to its release.  It is a band that is quite popular here.  But I am having a REALLY hard time figuring out how I am going to have much positive to say.  Especially whenever the vocals come in.  They just suck SO bad.

Must be Haken....heh.

For me, I enjoy the classic bands but never really dove into buying much from their catalog, including the classic albums. Being a fan of music, I just never bothered. I'm sure I'll enjoy some songs but I don't know why I never bought the albums.

Sabbath, Deep Purple, All the bands that appear on Classic Rock radio basically.

Its actually funny looking at peoples faces when they look through my music player. They see all these bands yet nothing familiar. If it is, its not the albun or song they know.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »
While of course I know the famous songs here and there, I still haven't felt a compelling urge to properly and thoroughly explore the discographies of:

- The Beatles
- Rolling Stones
- Pink Floyd
- Rush

So I'd guess any of the classic albums of those bands.

This is to Ben_Jamin as well...

Bearing in mind that I am not at all talking about "liking" them, but how can you possibly ascertain the place in history of an artist you like if you don't know that which came before?   I hear SOOO many people saying "WOW, Lady Gaga is so UNIQUE!" and I'm like, well, yeah, if you completely ignore that Madonna woman.   Pearl Jam is so UNIQUE!  Well, yeah, if you never heard Zeppelin, Neil Young or The Who.  Doesn't mean they suck, or they're not doing something with it, but it's important to know WHAT a band is doing with their influences, no?  And the "hits" aren't really indicative of that; "Paranoid" is the one Sabbath song everyone is heard, but there's not 30 seconds on Sabotage or Vol. 4 that sounds like Paranoid.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2018, 12:10:22 PM »

I don't own any Radiohead personally but I know about them, know that that album took them to another level ect.....

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2018, 12:12:16 PM »

They played the Riv (Riviera Theater) in November 1999 and then did 3 nights at the HOB in March 2000.  I was at the Riv show and the first 2 nights of the HOB shows.

Good thing you missed all of that non-stop AC/DC.   :)

Ah, OK, yeah, I was at Chicago and Milwaukee in 1999, right after THanksgiving. I saw them in March 2000 as well, but that was at the 9:30 Club in D.C.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2018, 12:15:42 PM »
... but it's important to know WHAT a band is doing with their influences, no?

No, not really. If they write and play good music, I don't care one bit about their influences.

Unless I am missing your point, because I do realize some people think there was no pop music before the launch of MTV, or there were movies before Star Wars.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2018, 12:19:41 PM »
Oh, thanks to another thread, I've thought of another album that is greatly loved that I just don't get.

Bat Out of Hell - Meat Loaf
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2018, 12:23:42 PM »
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
why do people freak out over this garbage sounding album, maybe the composition is good I dunno it's impossible to tell half the time though

"Must-have" or "huge classic" albums.

Edge of Sanity aren't KISS or anything truly great (:P), but if you're into progressive metal and death metal you've probably heard of Crimson.

As a side note I think the album is fantastic, which makes sense since Parama and I have mutually incompatible taste.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2018, 12:28:41 PM »
Bearing in mind that I am not at all talking about "liking" them, but how can you possibly ascertain the place in history of an artist you like if you don't know that which came before?   I hear SOOO many people saying "WOW, Lady Gaga is so UNIQUE!" and I'm like, well, yeah, if you completely ignore that Madonna woman.   Pearl Jam is so UNIQUE!  Well, yeah, if you never heard Zeppelin, Neil Young or The Who.  Doesn't mean they suck, or they're not doing something with it, but it's important to know WHAT a band is doing with their influences, no?  And the "hits" aren't really indicative of that; "Paranoid" is the one Sabbath song everyone is heard, but there's not 30 seconds on Sabotage or Vol. 4 that sounds like Paranoid.

I know you've raised this point before. Let me ask you, have you gone back to listen to Giovanni Palestrina in order to fully appreciate Bach, Haydn, Mozart? Have you gone back to Richard Wagner and Igor Stravinsky to appreciate the true roots of progressive music, stretching the boundaries and moving music forward?

I really don't need to listen to an artist from 50 years ago to appreciate a modern, present day group of musicians. I do not need to know one thing by The Who to have appreciated Guns N' Roses; I do not need to know a single thing by Iron Butterfly or Blue Cheer to appreciate Megadeth. They are so far removed that unless I'm writing a dissertation on their sound, I have no reason to listen to The Beatles if I want to enjoy, say, Ed Sheeran. I really don't! That might puzzle some people, it might puzzle you, but it's not always necessary. In the simplest terms, it is possible to be aware of those musicians, maybe not even know any of their music, and still appreciate what sounds good to an individual in the present day.

Literally the only reason it should matter is if you are discussing the importance or impact of a musician relative to a scene or other artists. But as far as someone just talking about what they like? There's no reason they should be obligated to go dig through the dustbin of history and treat it like a music appreciation course.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2018, 12:41:57 PM »
Here are some of mine:

Most Floyd. I love The Wall, I can listen to it front to back all day and never get tired of it. But anything else PF has done is just sort of OK to my ears. I've heard The Dark Side of the Moon. It's OK. I've heard Wish You Were Here. It's... OK. Usually about halfway through I get bored and switch to something else.

Iron Maiden is another one. Not even withstanding that all their recordings sound like ass, I just don't like Bruce Dickinson's voice. I can recognize he has talent, is a great frontman and generally seems like a cool dude, but I just really don't like listening to him.

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime. I see people here and elsewhere rave over this one and it's... not awful. I don't know, there are a few cool sections but overall I don't think too much of it. I guess it doesn't help that Geoff Tate's weird yodel voice doesn't really work for me most of the time.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2018, 01:01:06 PM »
Oh, thanks to another thread, I've thought of another album that is greatly loved that I just don't get.

Bat Out of Hell - Meat Loaf

You sure you're a fogey?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2018, 01:02:27 PM »
All this talk of meatloaf just before lunch...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
Was curious so looked at all-time top album sales, and what do you know, but #1 is a big one for me. Thriller. Though that is a symptom of me not liking any of his music or his style.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2018, 01:06:40 PM »
Would you do anything for Meatloaf, bosk1?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »

I know you've raised this point before. Let me ask you, have you gone back to listen to Giovanni Palestrina in order to fully appreciate Bach, Haydn, Mozart? Have you gone back to Richard Wagner and Igor Stravinsky to appreciate the true roots of progressive music, stretching the boundaries and moving music forward?

I really don't need to listen to an artist from 50 years ago to appreciate a modern, present day group of musicians. I do not need to know one thing by The Who to have appreciated Guns N' Roses; I do not need to know a single thing by Iron Butterfly or Blue Cheer to appreciate Megadeth. They are so far removed that unless I'm writing a dissertation on their sound, I have no reason to listen to The Beatles if I want to enjoy, say, Ed Sheeran. I really don't! That might puzzle some people, it might puzzle you, but it's not always necessary. In the simplest terms, it is possible to be aware of those musicians, maybe not even know any of their music, and still appreciate what sounds good to an individual in the present day.

Literally the only reason it should matter is if you are discussing the importance or impact of a musician relative to a scene or other artists. But as far as someone just talking about what they like? There's no reason they should be obligated to go dig through the dustbin of history and treat it like a music appreciation course.

I concur with all of this.  For me, there's really no personal interest for me to go back and "appreciate" the bands that molded its history.  Doesn't mean they created bad music, far from it. I just rather spend my time listening to something more modern and something I can relate to.  I don't think I can relate to those classic bands at all, except Rush and Iron Maiden.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »

Well, in answer to your first question, generally speaking I have.  Maybe not eveyr classical guy ever, but when Jimmy Page - who I LOVE - says that 'there would be no Jim Page without Scotty Moore or Bert Jansch', I owe it to myself to listen to those people.

Of COURSE you don't NEED to know this stuff.   But I think it creates depth, and in an odd way, a greater appreciation for artists.   I never would have put The Who together with The Ramones, but Pearl Jam did, and WOW!   Kiss is a very derivative band, but they have some elements in there that don't fit (there are too many Beatles references to count).   LA of the 80's is another example; Eddie VH was the man, right?  And all the guys that came from there owe a ton to him right?  But if you listen to Randy Rhoads, there's almost ZERO Van Halen in his playing.   That makes Randy more of a god to me, because he WASN'T just trying to survive the scene (which a lot of really good, well known bands were doing; Motley Crue for one). 

You should know, that I also have a theory:  the most transcendent music is not of a genre, but rather the intersection of a genre.   Sabbath and Zeppelin and Purple are all "hard rock bands".  But Sabbath was the blues and jazz (yes, jazz; Django Rheinhart).  Zeppelin was Chicago blues and folk.   Purple was... classical and the blues by way of Hendrix.   Yes, Genesis and King Crimson are all prog bands.   Yes was the Lennon Beatles and classical music.   Genesis was the McCartney Beatles and orchestral music (I'm talking about almost what you'd call "Broadway show tunes").   King Crimson was an odd amalgamation of jazz and classical.   Bruford didn't hang with Yes, because they wanted a ROCK drummer - Alan White, who coincidentially - not - drummed for the Plastic Ono Band after the Beatles broke up.  Bruford took his jazz stylings and went to... Crimson, and was the longest-serving member of the band NOT named "Fripp".   

You don't have to "relate" or even "like" it.  But it does, I believe, create a richer tapestry with which to view the bands you DO like.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2018, 02:45:43 PM »