Author Topic: "Must-have" or huge classic albums that you "don't get"?  (Read 11928 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: "Must-have" or huge classic albums that you "don't get"?
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2018, 09:48:07 AM »
Anyone who doesn't get DSOTM has probably never sucked on the business end of a bong before.... :hat

Overrated Hit albums?  Just to name a few....

Sgt. Peppers
White Album
Abby Road
Close to The Edge
Boston
Exile on Main Street
Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2018, 10:25:02 AM »
Anyone who doesn't get DSOTM has probably never sucked on the business end of a bong before.... :hat

Sgt. Peppers
White Album
Abby Road
Close to The Edge
Boston
Exile on Main Street
Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby

GTFO.   Abbey  Road rules, 1984 rules, The  Joshua Tree rules... you are right about "Exile" though. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2018, 11:59:04 AM »

Sgt. Peppers
White Album
Abby Road
Close to The Edge
Boston
Exile on Main Street
Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby

As to the first point, I never have, and I'll draw an analogy between music and burgers.  If you have to slather your burger with sauce and vegetables to make it palatable, then it isn't a very good burger (I'm looking at you, In 'n' Out).  Likewise, if you have to be high to "get" or like a song or band, then the song or band sucks.

I do, however, agree with you about 1984 and the two U2 albums.  War was pretty much the last U2 album worth a damn.  1984 was pretty much the perfect album for that year, but I still think (and pretty much always have thought) it sucked hard.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »
I didn't smoke weed until 10 years AFTER I got into Floyd. Dark Side is drop dead incredible high or not.

Echoes is the one you might need to be baked like a cake for. Or Ummagumma. Or...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2018, 12:54:16 PM »
I have NEVER smoked weed, not do I intend to, but Dark Side is THE album that got me into Floyd.  I forget whether I bought that and Momentary Lapse at the same time, or if I got Momentary Lapse shortly after.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
Because you got high... because you got high... because you got high...  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2018, 01:31:15 PM »
It should be said that Dark Side of the Moon brought many of us fortysomethings, well, into the world.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2018, 02:05:43 PM »
Likewise, if you have to be high to "get" or like a song or band, then the song or band sucks.
  You make a valid point in that you shouldn't have to be loaded to enjoy the music.  That being said.......it sure didn't hurt  :lol.  I was at a buddies house, 8th grade, and pretty baked the first time I heard DSOTM.  Dude cranked up the volume right before the intro for Time....woke me up REAL quick! While he laughed hi ass off.  Damn kids!!!!   :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2018, 02:13:06 PM »
Exile on Main Street

I am a big Stones guy, and there isn't much on this album that appeals to me. Definitely a "I just don't get the hype" album.

Likewise, if you have to be high to "get" or like a song or band, then the song or band sucks.

That band might not suck, but it has a pretty crappy business model since it only seems to be going after a specific demographic, and one in that must be in a specific state of mind to enjoy your product.

It should be said that Dark Side of the Moon brought many of us fortysomethings, well, into the world.

Floyd fans in the early 70s got laid? I was thinking this would apply more to Zeppelin.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2018, 04:37:35 PM »

Floyd fans in the early 70s got laid? I was thinking this would apply more to Zeppelin.

I think you're forgetting that in the '70s the women were just as baked as the men. The munchies aren't the only side effect of pot and certainly not the best either.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jammindude

« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2018, 05:08:42 PM »
And side 1 is supposedly perfect. 20 min long, starts slow, gets a little frantic in the middle, and ends with a woman moaning and screaming. :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
Yeah, I don't know about that. I'm not a huge weed head either, though not a virgin, and any action I got in my haze was either the Dead or the Eagles.   Otherwise it was always Zeppelin.  I think I've gotten more action while Zeppelin was playing than all other bands combined.    The only one that is close is Van Halen (because I dated a girl in high school that was a VH freak). 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2018, 06:25:20 PM »
Floyd and Zeppelin are still the ultimate. Got it on myself some years ago in the middle of the Ozarks while Zoso and Think Floyd were playing (tribute bands obv.). The magic is still there. Granted, LSD might have been involved, but it's true, it's fucking good music for bumping uglies  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2018, 06:37:31 PM »
Yeah..um..OK. I'll check back in the morning when you guys are done. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2018, 06:47:19 PM »
:heybaby:

Online Dream Team

« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2018, 09:46:21 PM »
Prepared to be crucified but....anything by Iron Maiden!

I guess I get it if they were your gateway metal band and what introduced you to metal. My gateway metal band was Metallica though and they did everything bigger, better and were 'cooler' as far as I'm concerned.

I compare it to my thoughts, growing up, on sci-fi. I was a massive Star Wars fan (still am). I lived and breathed Star Wars. It was cool as fuck and just epic. Then there was Star Trek...

Star Trek (in my head) was just inferior, kinda lame and leagues behind Star Wars in the 'cool' factor. It was for complete nerds and people who would probably live at home forever, letting their mum buy their clothes and never getting laid. Star Wars on the other hand, I was convinced, was for cool kids who would basically all grow up to be Han Solo!

My view on Iron Maiden is kind of the same. I understand they came before Metallica (and influenced them), just as Star Trek helped pave the way for Star Wars. However, I wasn't around to witness that so I've always seen them as the 'nerdy, never get laid, tucks their t-shirt into their jeans' band which attracts those sort of fans. It doesn't help that I can't really stand Bruce Dickenson's voice. Anyway, I digress, I basically don't 'get' Maiden.

Ready for the backlash

Late to the thread, but this post makes me weep.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2018, 06:47:58 AM »
I am mostly in agreement with twosuitsluke.  Iron Maiden has a few songs I like quite a bit, but overall they just don't do it for me.  To me, they are a poor man's Judas Priest.  Bring on the carnage. :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2018, 06:57:25 AM »
I can understand (well I can't ;D) someone not liking Iron Maiden, but to call them a poor man's Judas Priest.... That doesn't even make sense. You sound like a lazy Rolling Stone journalist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2018, 07:03:58 AM »
I knew what to say to get a reaction from you. :P

Jokes aside, I often see Priest and Maiden compared (metal bands with a twin-guitar attack and a singer who can/could get way up there), and to me there is no comparison.  I can't think of a single Maiden songs as nearly as great as Victim of Changes, Beyond the Realms of Death, Sinner, The Rage, Exciter, Bloodstone, A Touch of Evil...my gosh, the list goes on and on! :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: September 22, 2018, 07:20:58 AM »
Ya'll are mixed up. Priest is a poor man's Maiden. Maiden is tops.  :biggrin:

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2018, 07:31:34 AM »
80's Iron Maiden (and Helloween) is how I would define Heavy Metal.

Halford's vocals keep me from really appreciating Judas Priest, and as far as twin guitars are concerned, although they're great and brilliant, they don't touch Thin Lizzy in my taste.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2018, 07:36:27 PM »
  I can't think of a single Maiden songs as nearly as great as Victim of Changes, Beyond the Realms of Death, Sinner, The Rage, Exciter, Bloodstone, A Touch of Evil...my gosh, the list goes on and on! :metal

There's plenty. But if you want to put up JP's Top 10 or 15 against Maiden's Top 10 or 15, I'd have no problem with someone picking JP, not that I agree with it, but at least I respect it. I just think Maiden's whole catalog is so much stronger than Priest's.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »

Jokes aside, I often see Priest and Maiden compared (metal bands with a twin-guitar attack and a singer who can/could get way up there), and to me there is no comparison.  I can't think of a single Maiden songs as nearly as great as Victim of Changes, Beyond the Realms of Death, Sinner, The Rage, Exciter, Bloodstone, A Touch of Evil...my gosh, the list goes on and on! :metal

All good songs, but Maiden is a step above.   I love Priest (first concert ever) and I have a new appreciation for them now, but I even sort of soured on them for a while, because they are just so... cartoony.  I never really got into the "Metal God" thing.   Maiden had a gravity to them that I never felt with Priest.   There are no Maiden songs like "Hot Rockin'", you know?

Offline 425

« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »
I love Priest (first concert ever) and I have a new appreciation for them now, but I even sort of soured on them for a while, because they are just so... cartoony.  I never really got into the "Metal God" thing.   Maiden had a gravity to them that I never felt with Priest.   There are no Maiden songs like "Hot Rockin'", you know?

Yeah, this is why I never got that much into Priest while I love Iron Maiden. Maiden had their occasional cartoony moments in the early 80s, and inexplicably brought them back in their weak early 90s period, but by and large there really is a weight and seriousness to their music and lyrics. Priest it seems like sometimes has some serious material, but doesn't really go all the way with it like Maiden.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jammindude

« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2018, 02:35:21 PM »

All good songs, but Maiden is a step above.   I love Priest (first concert ever) and I have a new appreciation for them now, but I even sort of soured on them for a while, because they are just so... cartoony.  I never really got into the "Metal God" thing.   Maiden had a gravity to them that I never felt with Priest.   There are no Maiden songs like "Hot Rockin'", you know?

Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter would like a word.   It might have a more adult subject matter....but OMG HOW HOKEY!!!!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2018, 02:39:50 PM »
When it comes to 'Big 4 of Metal' I would rank them like this, based on my preference:
1. Black Sabbath (first 6 albums plus Heaven & Hell & Mob Rules and maybe I could add Dehumanizer, but maybe! :metal  :metal)
2. Iron Maiden (first 7 albums plus Brave New World)
3. Judas Priest (70's run of albums Sad Wings - Unleashed in the East, Screaming for Vengeance and Painkiller)
4. Metallica as the distant fourth (Ride, Master, Justice)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »
Bring Your Daughter is one of Maiden's best songs.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2018, 05:05:10 PM »
Bring Your Daughter is one of Maiden's best songs.

:facepalm:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2018, 05:38:33 PM »
It is though. I've never understood why it gets crapped on.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2018, 07:54:58 PM »
It is though. I've never understood why it gets crapped on.

At first I was hoping you forgot the change the font to green.  It gets hate because it's mid-tier song on their worst (Bruce) album ... BY FAR.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2018, 08:16:01 PM »
How is it mid-tier? I always hear that, but never hear an explanation as to why. What about it is so bad? The lyrical content? As if singing about mythology and whores and Satan isn't silly too? Song has a sick riff, a great melody and a powerful hook. Not a damn thing wrong with BYDTTS. That song alone is better than no less than 4 of their full albums put together.

BTW, their worst Bruce album is Dance of Death or Final Frontier.  :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: September 23, 2018, 08:22:50 PM »

Cartoony? Wait, you've seen Iron Maiden's album covers, right?  Those literally look like cartoon drawings.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2018, 08:34:35 PM »
We going into controversial IM opinions? ok

The Edge Of Darkness is their worst song
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2018, 09:16:14 PM »
Sun and Steel is a good song.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2018, 09:18:16 PM »
Sun and Steel is a good song.

:tup

Anyway, back on topic:

Anthrax - Among The Living

(or really, just any Anthrax album besides STD, POT, or FAK)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。