Author Topic: "Must-have" or huge classic albums that you "don't get"?  (Read 11903 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: "Must-have" or huge classic albums that you "don't get"?
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2018, 07:02:25 PM »
The Wall is better than all of them. /KevShmev in 1991  :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2018, 07:03:27 PM »
Re: OK Computer

This album has floated by my recommended list ever since it came out.  Every time I *sat down* to take in this album, I just didn't get it at all.   

But last year, I finally got around to digitizing my music collection, and I threw a mixture of albums I love and albums I've been meaning to check out more on shuffle while I was working.   And suddenly, every time a song from OK Computer came on, I was like "This is cool...what is this?"   

I will go so far as to say that OK Computer is boring and hard to get into the same way that Dark Side of the Moon (with the possibly exception of Money) is somewhat boring and hard to get into the first time you hear it.    I mean, today I find DSOTM to be one of the most brilliant albums ever made, but the first time I heard it when I was an ADD 12 year old, I just kept wondering if they were actually going to DO anything.   Because I didn't get it.  I didn't understand the concept.  I didn't get the story of "On the Run", I didn't understand how it all fit together. 

OK Computer is still growing on me, even after a year.   But the "growers" are usually the albums that stick with me the longest.

No offense, bud, but DSOTM was NEVER "somewhat boring and hard to get into".   That opening suite hit me on first listen and has yet to fade, and "Us And Them" was as beautiful and elegiac then as it is now.   OK Computer is actually getting WORSE each time I listen to it (it's not as frequent as p/g, but I periodically give it a listen to make sure I haven't grown into it.  I haven't.)

I just wasn't a real deep thinker as a kid.   Something clicked later.    The greatest band in the world when I was 12 was AC/DC
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2018, 07:04:25 PM »
animals is the best floyd album anyways so the entire discussion is irrelevant

I'm not a PF fan per se, but I do have WYWH and Animals and love them both.

The Wall is better than all of them. /KevShmev in 1991  :biggrin:

Oh, so you've read The Hipster's Guide To Pink Floyd?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2018, 07:04:34 PM »
I need to check out the rest of PF's discography. I've only heard The Wall & DSOTM & they're both amazing.  :hefdaddy
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »
My contradictory opinion is DSOTM is overrated as fuck, but at the same time an excellent album. I maybe listen to it once a year if that, but when I do it's such a great listen.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2018, 07:17:09 PM »
the wall is, as a whole, pretty bad actually but there are some good songs in there, buried in the swamp of a mediocre & overblown concept album

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2018, 07:28:33 PM »
I need to check out the rest of PF's discography. I've only heard The Wall & DSOTM & they're both amazing.  :hefdaddy

You have a lot of GREAT music and a lot of REALLY SHITTY music ahead of you.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2018, 07:33:25 PM »
The Wall is so much better if you just watch the movie instead of listening to the album - sooo much filler for just an audio experience, in my opinion, but there is some truly amazing stuff there too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »
I need to think more about DSotM before feeling comfortable writing out my thoughts. But I can say without much reflection that the beginning (Speak to Me/Breathe/On the Run) is pretty damn boring and a horrible way to lead in to what would become a masterpiece.

You have a lot of GREAT music and a lot of REALLY SHITTY music ahead of you.  :)

:lol Indeed. ProTip: With the exception of Echoes and Wots.. uh the Deal, don't go backward from DSotM.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2018, 07:41:06 PM »
….unless you're on acid..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2018, 07:53:22 PM »
Oh yeah, I've also heard Piper, which I enjoyed quite a bit, but it's not anywhere close to that legendary status.

Anyway, I'm listening to Animals right now & it does NOT disappoint.  :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2018, 07:56:11 PM »
Animals is awesome.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2018, 08:03:50 PM »
I have delved deeply into PF's catalog, and the only "crap" I've found is half of Ummagumma, most of More, and parts of Saucerful...most of the rest is pure gold to me.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2018, 08:13:56 PM »
Most of it IS gold, but their music was a bell-curve.  The weirder it got - at first - the better it got (like Atom Heart Mother) but then there was a point of diminishing returns where it just got... I don't know (Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, Several Species of Small Furry Animals, Seamus...)

I LOVE More, by the way, as well as Zabriske Point. 

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2018, 08:19:13 PM »
Back on topic, I really don't get the appeal of stoner metal. Maybe (definitely) because I'm not high enough, but my ADD-ish tendencies just screech internally at the sheer amount of repetition in these songs.  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »
Animals is awesome.

Animals never clicked. I always thought it was the weakest of the big four. Dogs was the only real standout on that album.

Offline 425

« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »
the wall is, as a whole, pretty bad actually but there are some good songs in there, buried in the swamp of a mediocre & overblown concept album

I... agree with this Parama take. I can see why people like it, but I think a lot of the songs are just sort of there. And I find the concept and Waters' overall lyrical approach obnoxious at best and distasteful at worst.

Dark Side of the Moon lives up to the reputation, but it's the only PF I've heard that I actually enjoy start to finish. And even then Money is a clear weak point.

What other classics are there? Well, here's sort of one:

I really like Rush, but I think 2112 is overrated. The song itself is quite good (and it was my first ever epic), but the second side is pretty meh. Something for Nothing is the only song I would recommend. Passage to Bangkok, Lessons and Tears are fine and I don't like Twilight Zone.

I think that while 2112 is a big step up from Caress of Steel (where I would only rate Bastille Day and Lakeside Park) and obviously the step they needed to save their careers, A Farewell to Kings is the album where Rush actually hit their stride, and is the beginning of their very good to great run that goes through at least Grace Under Pressure (I have yet to get the albums beyond this besides Clockwork Angels.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2018, 08:08:22 AM »

I really like Rush, but I think 2112 is overrated. The song itself is quite good (and it was my first ever epic), but the second side is pretty meh. Something for Nothing is the only song I would recommend. Passage to Bangkok, Lessons and Tears are fine and I don't like Twilight Zone.

I kinda agree. First side of 2112(title epic) is really great, but the second side ain't that special. Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Kings and Pictures are more consistently great albums, although each of them has one or two tracks that are solid, but not that special or great (Cinderella Man, Madrigal, Circumstances, Entre Nous, Different Strings, Vital Signs, Witch Hunt). But somehow 2112 ended up being "the bigger classic" and more popular album among masses of rock fans(many of them don't have to be big Rush fans, but they have 2112 in their home collection) than the next 3 Rush albums, although they are better than 2112, IMO.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »
Back on topic, I really don't get the appeal of stoner metal. Maybe (definitely) because I'm not high enough, but my ADD-ish tendencies just screech internally at the sheer amount of repetition in these songs.  :lol

Have you ever listened albums as Blues for the Red Sun, Welcome to Sky Valley, Sleep's Holy Mountain, Dopethrone and Dopesmoker?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2018, 08:19:44 AM »
You know, I'm gonna go with 2112. I don't really get the hype about the title track, and I never have. It's not a bad song, but it sounds disjointed, and there's nothing worse for a super long track than sounding disjointed with inorganic transitions between sections. Just my two cents, though. I genuinely think Caress of Steel is a far better album and The Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth are way better epics than 2112, with cooler subject matter to boot.

2112 does have Something For Nothing and A Passage To Bangkok (and maybe Tears but that's not always something I'm in the mood to hear), though, which are great. But as far as 'early Rush' goes (up through Permanent Waves, I guess?)... 2112 ranks close to the bottom for me, just above A Farewell to Kings.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2018, 10:11:28 AM »
I don't get Rush at all :neverusethis:

Offline 425

« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2018, 10:15:48 AM »
2112 ranks close to the bottom for me, just above A Farewell to Kings.

Woah, kinda buried the lede there from my point of view! I think Farewell to Kings is definitely better than 2112 and is probably one of their top albums.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2018, 10:18:51 AM »
2112 ranks close to the bottom for me, just above A Farewell to Kings.

Woah, kinda buried the lede there from my point of view! I think Farewell to Kings is definitely better than 2112 and is probably one of their top albums.

:lol There's no shortage of people telling me how wrong I am for thinking that in the Rush thread when I was going through their catalog last year, but AFTK is one of my least favorite Rush albums, I just don't like it much at all unfortunately. Hemispheres however could be #1 or #2 Rush album depending on how I feel at any given moment.

Offline 425

« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »
Interesting, especially since I feel like those are very similar albums. I would take AFTK over Hemispheres any day, but my guess is that's a minority opinion.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2018, 10:57:11 AM »

But in total, I really can't understand some opinions about it being the best album ever made, the ultimate prog-metal album etc.

I never found O:M to be prog metal at all.

At all is pretty harsh. There's Suite Sister Mary, and if that's not progressive metal, then I'm the queen of England. But I've never thought it as a prog album. Half of it could be played classic rock radio anyday. That doesn't mean it's bad by any means, I find the story intriguing and music top notch.

Good morning, your majesty.

I have never thought of ANYTHING by Queensryche as prog metal.  And maybe I'm being a bit more rigid about genre definitions than necessary.  But just because a song is longer than 3 1/2 minutes and isn't about sex, drugs, and rock n roll doesn't mean it is "prog."  There's nothing "harsh" about that.  It's just that there music doesn't fit the genre.  Yes, their music is much more complex, thought-provoking, and artsy than most of what was out at the time.  And that's great.  And that's not what "prog" means.  But whatever.  I'm not trying to tell people what to call it.  Just chiming in on the conversation. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2018, 11:46:09 AM »
Mindcrime is absolutely prog metal and this is coming from a guy who didn't know a single song from it until the start of 2018, but it's prog metal in the way that Led Zeppelin was 'metal' for the time... Rage For Order is much more progressive though, it actually does a lot of bizarre things that were out there for the time. Empire and Promised Land, not at all.

My two cents of course.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2018, 12:04:06 PM »
Re: OK Computer

This album has floated by my recommended list ever since it came out.  Every time I *sat down* to take in this album, I just didn't get it at all.   

But last year, I finally got around to digitizing my music collection, and I threw a mixture of albums I love and albums I've been meaning to check out more on shuffle while I was working.   And suddenly, every time a song from OK Computer came on, I was like "This is cool...what is this?"   

I will go so far as to say that OK Computer is boring and hard to get into the same way that Dark Side of the Moon (with the possibly exception of Money) is somewhat boring and hard to get into the first time you hear it.    I mean, today I find DSOTM to be one of the most brilliant albums ever made, but the first time I heard it when I was an ADD 12 year old, I just kept wondering if they were actually going to DO anything.   Because I didn't get it.  I didn't understand the concept.  I didn't get the story of "On the Run", I didn't understand how it all fit together. 

OK Computer is still growing on me, even after a year.   But the "growers" are usually the albums that stick with me the longest.

No offense, bud, but DSOTM was NEVER "somewhat boring and hard to get into".   That opening suite hit me on first listen and has yet to fade, and "Us And Them" was as beautiful and elegiac then as it is now.   OK Computer is actually getting WORSE each time I listen to it (it's not as frequent as p/g, but I periodically give it a listen to make sure I haven't grown into it.  I haven't.)

I won't compare it to anything else, but I find pretty much everything Pink Floyd ever recorded to be VERY "boring and hard to get into."  Also, are you really using a word like "elegiac" to refer to rock music?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »
Sure!   An elegy is a poem of serious reflection, often for the dead.   The song was originally called "The Violent Sequence" and was meant to sort of contemplate the effects and impacts of violence (in the Zabriskie Point soundtrack, from which it was rejected as being too "church-like").   

It's perhaps one of my three favorite musical passages in Floyd.    The Final Cut is in there, as is the Atom Heart Mother main theme. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2018, 01:13:06 PM »

:lol Indeed. ProTip: With the exception of Echoes and Wots.. uh the Deal, don't go backward from DSotM.

This.  So.  Fucking.  Much ( could even do without Wots.)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »

Bro.   Nothing from More?  The Nile Song?   Fearless?  If?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2018, 02:00:39 PM »

One past essential is Live at Pompeii. Its got great versions of some great older jams...especially Mademoiselle Nobs, hahaha. I wish I had a cd of those versions.

Haven't heard anything from More or the like.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2018, 02:09:50 PM »

One past essential is Live at Pompeii. Its got great versions of some great older jams...especially Mademoiselle Nobs, hahaha. I wish I had a cd of those versions.

Haven't heard anything from More or the like.

You are in luck:   It's in The Early Years, Volume 6: 1972: Obfusc/ation  (this is just one link; this set is pretty widely available:  https://www.amazon.com/Early-Years-1972-Obfusc-ation/dp/B06XSDB2W8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537214928&sr=8-1&keywords=the+early+obfusc%2Fation)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2018, 11:16:37 PM »

Have you ever listened albums as Blues for the Red Sun, Welcome to Sky Valley, Sleep's Holy Mountain, Dopethrone and Dopesmoker?

Dopesmoker is the only one in that list I've heard, & I didn't like it at all. I'll check out the other ones though.  :corn

Offline Ruba

« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2018, 07:25:01 AM »
I never found O:M to be prog metal at all.

At all is pretty harsh. There's Suite Sister Mary, and if that's not progressive metal, then I'm the queen of England. But I've never thought it as a prog album. Half of it could be played classic rock radio anyday. That doesn't mean it's bad by any means, I find the story intriguing and music top notch.

Good morning, your majesty.

*waves hand in a royal fashion*

Mindcrime is absolutely prog metal and this is coming from a guy who didn't know a single song from it until the start of 2018, but it's prog metal in the way that Led Zeppelin was 'metal' for the time... Rage For Order is much more progressive though, it actually does a lot of bizarre things that were out there for the time. Empire and Promised Land, not at all.

My two cents of course.

I wouldn't really call QR really a progressive band, but they have been highly instrumental in shaping the genre. Rage for Order is probably their only album that I'd put under "prog metal" banner. Even though it lacks a real epic piece, it's diverse and experimental.

Empire is rather straight-forward hard rock album, but Promised Land has shades of prog rock. There are some clearly Pink Floyd-esque moments in there.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »

Dopesmoker is the only one in that list I've heard, & I didn't like it at all. I'll check out the other ones though.  :corn
Dopesmoker is definitely the slowest and most repetitive out of the bunch, listen to Welcome to Sky Valley, that's what got me into stoner metal and it's very :2metal: