Poll

Who is the greater philosopher/prophet?

Jon Anderson
9 (60%)
Ronnie James Dio
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Sinice we're doing polls... the greater philosopher!  (Read 700 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Sinice we're doing polls... the greater philosopher!
« on: September 05, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »
Both are prophets, really.  Ahead of their time and sometimes beyond our understanding as mortal men (and women).  But of these two veritable sages, who really had the keenest insight into the human condition?

Was it Ronnie James Dio?
- We search for the truth; we could die upon the tooth!  But the thrill of just the chase is worth the pain!
- Don't write in starlight, the words may come out real!  Don't smell the flowers, they're an evil drug that will make you lose your mind! Don't dream of women! They will only bring you down!
- Life's fantasy... to be locked away and still to think you're free!
- The best steel goes through fire, and the dead man's always a liar!
- Love should be a simple blend, a whispering on the shore.  No clever words you can't defend, they lead to nevermore!
- Well if it seems to be real, it's illusion! For every moment of truth, there's confusion in life!
- I've been seen on the sun; I used to count in millions then, now I only count in one!
- If there isn't light where no one sees, then how can I know what you might believe?
- The only way to really stay, is to walk right out the door!
- It's the call of the city, the way that "black" is pretty to the purest heart!
- Hurt is on the pleasure wheel, but you can't hurt if you can't feel; and if you can feel, you've got something to learn... you've got time to burn!

Or Jon Anderson?
- Take what I say in a different way, and it's easy to say that this is all confusion!
- Long last treatment of the telling that relates to all the words, sung!  Dreamer easy in the chair that really fits you!
- Battle ships confide in me and tell me where you are!  Shining, flying, purple wolfhound show me where you are!
- The sun can warm the coldest dawn, and move the movement on the lawn; I learn in every single day!
- A seasoned witch can call you from the depths of your disgrace; and rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace!
- A dewdrop can exalt us like the music of the sun!
- Now the verses I've sang don't add much weight to the story in my head, so I think I'll go and write a punchline!  But they're so hard to find in my cosmic mind, I think I'll take a look out of the window!
- Where we are coming from or where we go, we only know we go with sound!
- My love said "never question your will at all! In the end you've got to go! Look before you leap!"

I have chills just reading those.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Sinice we're doing polls... the greater philosopher!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »
Neither.  Both were a joke.  Oh:  In my opinion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
objectively or subjectively?

And on a serious note: why did the 'what is music / music philosophy' thread get deleted? ??? there was some good discussion going on in there and it feels kind of insulting to just delete the posts (not just mine, but from other people participating, I didn't even get the time to read them properly) without giving an explanation as to why they get removed. I honestly don't get it and it undermines forum participation. At least explain what was wrong with the thread. I get that it was borne out of a troll-thread, but to simply delete the discussion there is not nice at all.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:39:43 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Mladen

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 08:38:17 AM »
Jon gets my vote. His spirituality can be very captivating, whereas I've always found Ronnie to be fairly straightforward in his lyricism, even though he also gets some great messages across.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 08:43:05 AM »
objectively or subjectively?

And on a serious note: why did the 'what is music / music philosophy' thread get deleted? ??? there was some good discussion going on in there and it feels kind of insulting to just delete the posts (not just mine, but from other people participating, I didn't even get the time to read them properly) without giving an explanation as to why they get removed. I honestly don't get it and it undermines forum participation. At least explain what was wrong with the thread. I get that it was borne out of a troll-thread, but to simply delete the discussion there is not nice at all.

You deleted the initial post, so I thought you abandoned it.  I can put it back if you like.  I just thought it was dead.  I'll put it back, but you need to edit the original post so that it says something and tells us what the thread is supposed to be about.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »
I didn't delete the original post, Nick removed a punch of posts in that thread. Like I said, it was initially a bullshit-thread with a bunch of bullshit responses, which all got deleted by Nick, apart from the legitimate discussion on music philosophy which randomly happened in that thread as well. If you put it back, I'll write something more fitting than 'Edited' in the initial post! Thanks :)

(and sorry for assuming you deleted it for no reason..)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
Okay, it's back.  Sorry.  Like I said, I only deleted it because I saw that the original post didn't say anything, and I assumed it was abandoned.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 09:06:02 AM »
I can't delete the OP of a thread, but can change thread title and contents of the initial post, which is why it ended up looking a bit misleading, but my intention was to salvage the good parts of the otherwise obvious lock of a thread.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 09:08:37 AM »
FYI, the question is serious, but the tone is intended to be fun and tongue-in-cheek.   I'm not mocking anyone, especially the mods, I just thought it would be amusing.    (And let me tell you, neither of these guys are Socrates.)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 10:31:11 AM »
I can only really comment on DIO, though I’m aware that JAks lyrics are a bit lobscure” 😀

I love DIO but I’ve never taken the lyrics to be anything profound. He relied too heavily on contrasting one thing with another and I always thought it was any old bollocks that rhymed. But that voice makes it so I don’t care.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 04:54:04 PM »
I love DIO but I’ve never taken the lyrics to be anything profound. He relied too heavily on contrasting one thing with another and I always thought it was any old bollocks that rhymed. But that voice makes it so I don’t care.

Jon Anderson's voice makes it so I don't care...……………

.....about Yes.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol