General > General Discussion

Do you think there's something as "too much money"?

(1/18) > >>

MirrorMask:
With all the money going around in the world, and exagerate and ludicrous amounts of money in the pockets of multi billionaires, do you think that it could be calculated how much money one could realistically need, or wealth is too much subjective to determine what constitutes "too much" for everyone?

What I mean is: say that I'm a world class footballer of the most paid actor or I invent the new Amazon / Whatsapp and I start to sweat, piss and sh!t money faster than I could count. Once I have the house I want (add a second house at the favorite vacation spot and one for the parents), the car I want, and I travel wherever I want... what more do I need?

I get the sensation that people who are "too much" rich, if such a thing can exist and be calculated, at a certain point have to "throw away" their money, because they don't know what else to do with it.

There are many retired athletes that open shops or restaurants... was that always their childhood dream, derailed because they happen to find out they're good at kicking a ball or swinging a bat, or they're just like "My agent told me to invest my money, I guess a restaurant could be fun, here's some money, now pay some people to run it and bring me back the revenue"?

Even charity feels sometimes as an afterthought. Anyone doing actual charity work is to be praised, but I think that ultra rich people do it just because they can, with a mindset of "Well, I have more money I can spend in two lifetimes... I have already three houses... whatever, I'm not a selfish person, guess I could spare some cash to help troubled kids or something".

There could be an objective way to measure what is affordable if you're rich, and what is simply too much? if you're into movies and you have all the money you need, it's fine to set up in your house a state of the art giant panel and an equally expensive audio system. You enjoy movies and TV series so you watch them with an amazing visual and audio experience. But do you really "need" to build your own cinema as big as the actual theatre where you'd go to see the movies? you like swimming, fine, get a nice pool, do you really "need" the pool to be as long as the Suez canal just because you can? if any of us DT fans become rich beyond belief, couldn't we just buy front row tickets to their shows? wouldn't inviting personally the band at our own private birthday party and pay for the stage setup in our background be just overkill, and a waste of money for the sole reason that said pile of money is there available?

Cool Chris:
In terms of what my state and local municipality takes from me, yes.

lordxizor:
Certainly people can have far more money than I think is reasonable or could even begin to imagine spending. And I do think the growing gap between the ultra wealthy and the average Joe is concerning. But I'm not really sure there's anything practical to do about it. People who invent things or start companies deserve all the money their invention or company earns them. Same with athletes or actors, they make gobs of money for their team or studio and deserve a large share of it.

So, yes, I think people can have "too much" money than is probably good for them or for society as a whole. But I really don't think there's anything that can or should be done about it other than making sure they pay their share of taxes.

Chino:
This thread is going to get political really fast.

El Barto:
I think it depends on whether or not you like your kids. In my case I'd need enough to be comfortable and travel to shows for the next 5-20 years. If I had a wife and 9 kids I'd want a lot more to provide for them. Assholes like Gene Simmons and Andrew Fucking Lloyd Webber, who will give their money to anybody but their kids, are a completely different thing, but I can't really begrudge them earning whatever they want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version