Author Topic: Are very young musicians an inspiration or unmotivational?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Are very young musicians an inspiration or unmotivational?
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:29:35 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ12ebz67lc

7 year old playing Animals as Leaders in drums.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Are very young musicians an inspiration or unmotivational?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 10:10:06 AM »
I've seen 10-12 year olds on YouTube playing John Petrucci solos quite well. It's almost unbelievable watching those little fingers move that fast with such precision. So yes,  it is inspring! It inspires me to hang my guitar up on the wall because I thought I was an advanced player now in my forties. I didn't start playing until I was 19 years old, so my brain was allready a bit cluttered to become a future internet sensation.. Which I'm sure these kids will go far beyond that!  :metal
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:08:10 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 11:02:08 AM »
I love watching the young kids kicking ass. My personal favorite is Senri Yamaguchi. She hit the scene around 14,just kicking ass on the drums. Now she has a 3 piece jazz band and there's videos of her doing (and holding her own) a drum off against Minneman at an Aristocrats show.

Also, Kala Rose the little cutie that did the Pull Me Under cover years ago, now is about as tremendous a singer as one can be.

It's just so cool to follow their careers and growth.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »
The heart of the matter is comparison. If you become unmotivated because somebody younger than you can do something better, then you should really quit. On the other hand, you can watch those videos on youtube and get inspired to try even harder. It is not about being better. I think it was Mozart.. when he was 12 or so he spoke 4 languages fluently. If most people compare themselves to him, they will be sad and disappointed. Comparisons are not good for you.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 11:16:06 AM »
I love watching the young kids kicking ass. My personal favorite is Senri Yamaguchi. She hit the scene around 14,just kicking ass on the drums. Now she has a 3 piece jazz band and there's videos of her doing (and holding her own) a drum off against Minneman at an Aristocrats show.
She's incredible, first saw her a couple of years ago. The amount of power and control coming out of a person that small is amazing.
She recently visited the drumchannel Drumeo and did a lesson and some solos, great stuff.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »
The heart of the matter is comparison. If you become unmotivated because somebody younger than you can do something better, then you should really quit. On the other hand, you can watch those videos on youtube and get inspired to try even harder. It is not about being better. I think it was Mozart.. when he was 12 or so he spoke 4 languages fluently. If most people compare themselves to him, they will be sad and disappointed. Comparisons are not good for you.

There's even this whole thing with Roosevelt and his "comparison is the thief of joy" quote, I think.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
The response is joy, for talent manifested is the best thing to witness in life, as talent wasted is the worst.

By the way, if you consider the nervous system implications, that's a pretty good age to technically excel at an instrument, given body size compatibility. I would be focking astonished if a kid could compose Petrucci solos though, but still happy.

Regarding quitting because someone's better, everybody should quit then. Find your notch and thrive in it, 'cause above it and below it life is pretty miserable.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 12:05:54 PM »

Also, Kala Rose the little cutie that did the Pull Me Under cover years ago, now is about as tremendous a singer as one can be.

Just looked up the video. That girl is freaking amazing
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 12:56:21 PM »
I used to teach music in NYC public school from 2010-2013 as part of my degree. I was always fascinated when I found a young kid with a lot of talent. Sometimes they would ask me to teach them something that was above my own level of playing but that was just extra movitation to practice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »

So.....little girls, then?  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 09:04:21 PM »
It depends for me tbh. I've seen and met a few child prodigies in my life (90% classical and jazz) and it's inspirational and makes me happy when you can see that their passion for the music is genuine. I always feel like those kids are going to go make a name for themselves in the industry and do big things. Often they're super chill about it too. A really good example of a genuine modern prodigy is Joey Alexander, who did a really good job of playing "Giant Steps" (basically to jazz what Animals as Leaders is to metal guitar) at the age of 11/12.

On the other hand, you sometimes run into the "burnt out at 12" prodigies who did the exact opposite and ended up really hating music because they were forced into it or it became a chore for them. They get some big hit video on YouTube or Facebook and then just drop off the face of the earth and end up pursuing a career in sales or something. Those are really disheartening.

Prodigy singers don't have an effect on me any more. I know their voice isn't mature yet and probably doing unhealthy things to force an impressive sound (see: literally all of the kids singing opera on talent shows) that will end up damaging them in the long run. tbh your prepubescent kid shouldn't sound like a grown man/woman. They should still sound kind of like a kid.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 07:50:46 AM »
Neither.   

I will say, though, that generally, I don't like the "precocious kid" angle when it comes to this stuff.   I know, I know, get off my lawn, but there's something that doesn't resonate with me, or ring true.   And I'll be the first to say that it makes zero logical sense; I don't think Johnny Cash ACTUALLY killed a man in Reno just to watch him die, but the song still resonates, and at least it's PLAUSIBLE.   I don't KNOW that David Lee Roth actually been to the edge, and stood and looked down, but it SOUNDS like it.    Some of these kids are technically good, but it doesn't SOUND plausible to me.   

We don't watch many competition shows (except on the Food Network) and even then, when kids come on, I usually mumble "I fucking hate kids" to my wife and turn the channel.    When I was 11, I could  barely make Spaghetti-O's; I didn't even know what "Beef Wellington" was, and some of these kids are making Beer Cheese Flambe's like they own the restaurant.   I can't help thinking, though, that there's a parent behind all that, and in an unhealthy way.   

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
Actually I got her name wrong, it's Senri Kawaguchi. Here's the video I first found of her at 16...

https://youtu.be/VisODUOCiUk

And here's her with Marco...

https://youtu.be/D_NDvn0b6zs

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »
I see what Stadler is saying. Often times the parent is behind it. In some cases the parent will see that their kid has a natural talent and push them to pursue it since they know talent may have skipped a generation, lol!
 One of my previous posts got deleted for some reason, but I said I was joking about hanging up my guitar just because there are young people that play circles around me. I'm just glad to see that there is so much young talent! It gives hope that there will be alot of good music and many great albums to come out in the future. 🎶😎
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:59:02 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 10:37:29 AM »
Kids being talented is nice. I'm with Stadler though, most of these youtube kids might seem a too good to be true, I hope not though. As they get older, I hope they continue that passion and start a band, join an orchestra, or compose their own songs.

Now if those kids had original content, then I'll consider them as a prodigy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
I can admire the skill and commitment needed to get that good at something but it doesn’t inspire or deflate me as I know I’ll never attain anywhere near that level of skill.

I play guitar but I’m not very good and I’m fine with that.

One of my mates plays guitar and plays in local bands. He plays Status Quo and sixties standards and he’s never aspired to more. I had no interest in playing these songs even though that’s more my level. I want to be Satch and Yngwie but that’s not going to happen.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 12:07:18 PM »
Bumping this thread because of this 16 year old guitarist Hal-Ca (now 18).. (just noticed, bass player is also 18 now, drummer is 21)

Definitely inspirational...and holy fuck what a talent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQPvINJcA0&ab_channel=Takako

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 01:41:59 PM »
Yeah, I always wonder what else is going on behind the curtain when little kids are already musical virtuosos.  It's one thing if they've just really hit on their passion and love it, but I suspect a sizeable percentage have overly ambitious parents living vicariously through them and pushing them excessively hard, to the exclusion of actually becoming a complete person and living life.  It's one thing when it's their own choice, but it's another if it's being foisted on them.  Often times you need those non-musical experiences to actually write music that's meaningful to other people.  How many shredders have we seen who seem to have nothing else to say other than to others who've also spent 15 hours a day on diminished sweep arpeggios.  But I think it's a reality we have to reckon with some extent, because becoming that highly skilled at doing something by necessity means neglecting at least some other aspect of personal development, and most of our musical heroes had to do it to some degree to get where they are.  It's part of why so many musicians have various addictions and issues in life. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2021, 02:24:17 PM »
I'm sure that's the case in some, but with the video I posted, they are having a great fucking time performing, and there's some serious talent there, not just wankery on steroids.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2021, 12:26:09 AM »
The sad thing is they'll earn more money on YouTube doing impressive cover versions than actually forming a band and trying to make original content.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 06:05:34 AM »
The sad thing is they'll earn more money on YouTube doing impressive cover versions than actually forming a band and trying to make original content.

Why is that sad? Many musicians just love performing and not necessarily writing original songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2021, 09:25:19 AM »

The band I posted already has two albums of original stuff.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »
Locally in my area band rehearsal rooms that usually was occupied by bands are nowdays empty or closed. I can't speak for how it is in other areas of the world but I do think in general playing in bands as a hobby is not what it used to be.

I'm sure that's the case in some, but with the video I posted, they are having a great fucking time performing, and there's some serious talent there, not just wankery on steroids.
Just lock at Nandi Bushnell, I mean that kid is just amazing at having fun and playing. Doing video covers made her eventually play with Foo Fighters, that's pretty nuts.

As a teacher I see my students in the same age and then her and wondering WTH am I doing wrong when I rarely see that kind of excitment playing drums from them and i'm a pretty creative and fun teacher I think.  :lol

It's also so heartwarming seeing her having fun and living her dream.  :heart

Foo Fighters - Soundcheck, Backstage and Multi Camera Show
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:58:00 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Volante99

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2021, 09:40:43 PM »
As far as YouTube trends go I’d rather watch a 4 year old play Dance of Eternity on drums than watch phony (over)reaction videos - “Watch vocal coach react to Bohemian Rhapsody!” , “Watch black person listen to song that ISN’T rap!”, “Watch nuclear physicist react to punk rock song!” Ugh.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 11:12:46 PM »
There are definitely some reaction channels that are clickbait devoid of substance, but there are also some pretty insightful or entertaining ones.  Key of Geebz and Doug Helvering are composers who analyze songs with a fair amount of depth about musicianship, songwriting, production and such.  Lost In Vegas is pretty genuine and they have a good intuitive sense of what makes songs work or not.  Some of the vocal ones like The Charismatic Voice are pretty interesting if you're curious to learn more about singing techniques and how they're employed. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2021, 12:46:00 AM »
Bumping this thread because of this 16 year old guitarist Hal-Ca (now 18).. (just noticed, bass player is also 18 now, drummer is 21)

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

That was amazing!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2021, 03:27:32 AM »
IMO, there's no point getting your motivation derailed from these prodigy kids.  It's not like you can do anything about them so might as well enjoy and applaud them and keep practicing hard.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2021, 04:54:31 AM »
Whenever I see incredibly talented musicians still aged single figures I do wonder how much negative parental influence goes on behind the scenes.

Most kids give up on something after a few months. *** Gotta wonder how overly strict some of the parents have to be to get the kid to Prodigy level.

*** - example - all 3 of my teen brothers were obsessed with fidget spinners in 2020. Now they don't even care about them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2021, 06:22:10 AM »
Whenever I see incredibly talented musicians still aged single figures I do wonder how much negative parental influence goes on behind the scenes.

Most kids give up on something after a few months. *** Gotta wonder how overly strict some of the parents have to be to get the kid to Prodigy level.

*** - example - all 3 of my teen brothers were obsessed with fidget spinners in 2020. Now they don't even care about them.

Or they could just have a natural love for the instrument instead of video games and social media.

There is no way these kids are that good just because the parent forces them, it's just not possible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2021, 06:25:31 AM »

I forgot about this thread, thank you for sharing that, that was a great performance  :metal

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2022, 05:11:35 PM »
Another bump....I follow the Hit Like a Girl contest that celebrates female drummers of all ages, and this year's winner of the under 13 category is just fucking mindblowing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgI90jaO-JI&ab_channel=kiichannel

There was also a 7 year old in the contest that covered Pareidolia by Haken...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocFk9Ym94Uk&ab_channel=ZasaZaSanun